PDA

View Full Version : Could this be the pick in round 2?

Packgator
04-15-2007, 10:33 PM
TT says he wants "football players". This guy might be a good fit.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10123560

By Clark Judge
CBS SportsLine.com Senior Writer

The best safety in this year's draft is LSU's LaRon Landry. The most intriguing one is Eric Weddle.

A four-year starter at Utah, Weddle lined up at strong safety. And cornerback. And nickel back. And quarterback. And running back. He punted. He returned punts. He even held for kicks.

"I'm just a guy who loves football," he said, "and will do anything for the team. I'll go out there and play special teams like I've done in my career. I'll play offense or defense or whatever the teams needs. And I'll do the best I can."

Last season he ranked fourth on his team in tackles and had seven interceptions, returning two for touchdowns. He also returned a fumble recovery for a score. On offense, he ran for five TDs and threw for another.

While that doesn't make him unique, it does make him extraordinary -- especially in an age of specialization where some guys make it as situational pass rushers. It also makes him attractive to NFL clubs looking to fill a roster spot with someone who can play more than one position.

"I love this guy," an NFC scout said of Weddle. "If you got him in the second round and didn't wind up with another safety your draft would be a success."

So what it is that makes Eric Weddle special? Well, let's start with the versatility. In 2005, he started at safety but moved to cornerback near the end of the season and played the position so well he held Georgia Tech's Calvin Johnson to two catches for 19 yards in the Emerald Bowl.

Johnson is the best player in the draft, but Weddle was the Defensive MVP of that game.

"I pride myself on preparation," Weddle said of his bowl performance. "I had four weeks to prepare for a player of (Johnson's) caliber. You have to bring your A-plus game. If you film-study you can eliminate stuff ... you can eliminate 90 percent of what the guy's going to do just based by his split, his release.

"So half the game I knew what he was going to do before he did it, and I was just breaking on the routes. No disrespect to their team, but the times they threw to him I was just breaking on the ball."

It's one thing to be versatile; it's another to be adept, and Eric Weddle is so good at everything he does that Wyoming coach Joe Glenn last year endorsed him for the Heisman Trophy.

Here's one reason why: In last year's game with Air Force, Weddle played every snap on defense and had eight tackles. He also led the Utes with 73 yards rushing and scored Utah's only two TDs. And he held for the game-winning field goal.

Afterward, Air Force coach Fisher DeBerry told Weddle he should be pulling down two scholarships.

"Anyone who takes him in the second round of this draft," said one scout, "will have themselves a steal."

Weddle reminds me of another all-purpose defender who turned heads at the 2000 NFL scouting combine. He was listed as a linebacker, but he played safety ... and tight end ... and wide receiver ... and returned kicks.

Then New Mexico's Brian Urlacher graduated to the pros where he became an All-Pro linebacker.

"This guy's no Urlacher," said a scout, "but he can do so many things you can't ignore him."

The knock on Weddle is that while he's versatile, he's not outstanding at one position. Maybe he's a cornerback. Maybe he's a safety. But he isn't particularly big, and he isn't particularly fast. Moreover, scouts doubt how effective he can be as a return man at the next level.

So what? All I know is I want Eric Weddle on my football team. He's smart. He's energetic. He's productive. He's determined. And he was the Mountain West Conference Defensive Player of the Year the past two seasons. That won't put him in LaRon Landry's zip code April 28, but it should keep him in the NFL for years.

"The million dollar question," said Weddle, "is what I like better -- corner or safety. I think (NFL teams) get irritated because I say, 'both of them.' They want to hear an answer, but that's true. I love playing man-to-man. I love playing outside, the challenge it brings. I love blitzing. I love playing zones or being around the box. Whatever the team needs."

Partial
04-15-2007, 11:02 PM
He's gonna be a second round stud. Get him TT. He and Brian Leonard are two second-round guys who will both be hearty contributors to a teams success. Both are not exceptional at anything but are very good at a lot of things, and are flat out football players.

Weddle is a four year starter and a first-rate character. His credentials and attitude scream "Ted Thompson second round selection". It's very possible he'll be gonzo by the time we pick, though.

Fritz
04-16-2007, 06:55 AM
Here's my problem with me as a fan: I didn't like Eric Weddle - because his name seems wussy-ish. Obviously that's dumb of me, really dumb. ut there it is. Good thing I'm not a GM.

Now that You've posted this, he seems intriguing at least. But I hope he's not one of those okay-at-a-lot-of-stuff but not really really good at one thing.

MadtownPacker
04-16-2007, 06:58 AM
A safety on the first day seems likely. I would rather it be in round one and WR Paul Williams be the #2 pick.

LL2
04-16-2007, 09:57 AM
So what it is that makes Eric Weddle special? Well, let's start with the versatility. In 2005, he started at safety but moved to cornerback near the end of the season and played the position so well he held Georgia Tech's Calvin Johnson to two catches for 19 yards in the Emerald Bowl.

Johnson is the best player in the draft, but Weddle was the Defensive MVP of that game.

"I pride myself on preparation," Weddle said of his bowl performance. "I had four weeks to prepare for a player of (Johnson's) caliber. You have to bring your A-plus game. If you film-study you can eliminate stuff ... you can eliminate 90 percent of what the guy's going to do just based by his split, his release.

Wow! He held CJ to 19 yards. That’s impressive! I also like the fact he prides himself on preparation. Weddle and Kampman can be film room buddies.

Packgator
04-17-2007, 09:14 AM
Wow! He held CJ to 19 yards. That’s impressive! I also like the fact he prides himself on preparation. Weddle and Kampman can be film room buddies.

Holding CJ to 19 yds. is impressive. TT likes "football players" so he's most likely someone they have taken a hard look at. Some mocks have him going late second round while others don't have him in the first two. Mid second might be to early for him but I doubt he'll last to mid third.

Joemailman
04-17-2007, 12:33 PM
Here's my problem with me as a fan: I didn't like Eric Weddle - because his name seems wussy-ish. Obviously that's dumb of me, really dumb. ut there it is. Good thing I'm not a GM.

Now that You've posted this, he seems intriguing at least. But I hope he's not one of those okay-at-a-lot-of-stuff but not really really good at one thing.

There is a safety out of Maine named Daren Stone. There's a tough sounding name. Would be even better if he changed his name to Zack or something. And we not even have to use a draft pick to get him.

woodbuck27
04-17-2007, 12:46 PM

There is a safety out of Maine named Daren Stone. There's a tough sounding name. Would be even better if he changed his name to Zack or something. And we not even have to use a draft pick to get him.

Geee !

If his name was Rocky Stone then Fritz would be all over him. :)

Packgator
04-19-2007, 09:33 AM
Weddle is a four year starter and a first-rate character. His credentials and attitude scream "Ted Thompson second round selection". It's very possible he'll be gonzo by the time we pick, though.

This gives a little insight to his priorities..........

Scott Wright: When you get your first professional paycheck what is the first thing you will buy?

Eric Weddle: If I get a first paycheck I will be ecstatic, celebrate for maybe a second and then get back to work. My wife and I will put it in the bank and will use the money accordingly.

The entire interview can be seen here.........

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/interviews/ericweddle/ericweddle.html

LL2
04-19-2007, 10:29 AM

This gives a little insight to his priorities..........

Scott Wright: When you get your first professional paycheck what is the first thing you will buy?

Eric Weddle: If I get a first paycheck I will be ecstatic, celebrate for maybe a second and then get back to work. My wife and I will put it in the bank and will use the money accordingly.

The entire interview can be seen here.........

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/interviews/ericweddle/ericweddle.html

Smart kid....very smart kid! Draft him TT!

Packnut
04-19-2007, 10:59 AM
I like this guy too. He'd be a great 2nd rd pick.

Fritz
04-19-2007, 12:32 PM

You're on the right track, but if his last name were "Stones" and his first name was "Big" then he'd be worthy of a first round pick. Then we pick up "HeHateMe" as a Free Agent.

BooHoo
04-19-2007, 07:02 PM
How about Gonzales if he is available?

BallHawk
04-19-2007, 08:21 PM

The CB out of Troy had CJ to 9 yards. He isn't even entering the draft. Calvin Johnson wasn't as dominant as people think that he was. However, I would like Weddle, I'd prefer Landry, but with TT's faith in Manuel, I don't see that happening.

MJZiggy
04-19-2007, 08:37 PM
TT may have faith in Manuel, but he's not stupid. If he thinks Landry's the better player, he may take him.

Partial
04-19-2007, 08:39 PM

The CB out of Troy had CJ to 9 yards. He isn't even entering the draft. Calvin Johnson wasn't as dominant as people think that he was. However, I would like Weddle, I'd prefer Landry, but with TT's faith in Manuel, I don't see that happening.

I like the 16th pick (CB, receiver, OL, DE) and Weddle over Landry, though.

b bulldog
04-19-2007, 08:42 PM
CJ had an awful QB throwing him the ball and not much around him. I remember watching Tech play on ESPN last fall and Herbstreet kept commenting on how open CJ was time after time and how Ball wasn't getting him the ball.