PDA

View Full Version : Reduced 'Deadwood' On The Current Roster?

The Shadow
04-15-2007, 10:34 PM
It is heartening to me to see that the deadwood, aka 'just a guy', or 'NFL Europe caliber guy' (phrased by Ron Wolf) on the Packer roster seems drastically reduced.
Gone are the Hawthornes, Romans, Davenports, Washington, Hunts, Carrolls, Lenons, Robert Thomas' and Lucheys (also several other mediocre linebackers whose names escape me).
It seems to me that they have been replaced by players with at least a chance of developing into solid players, and that is a very good sign.
Who now, in your opinions, most closely fits that label? Dendy? Herron? Coston? Martin?

MJZiggy
04-15-2007, 10:36 PM
Which label, Shadow, deadwood or chance of developing?

The Shadow
04-15-2007, 10:37 PM
Sorry.
I meant "which players look like deadwood."

ahaha
04-15-2007, 10:45 PM
Bubba Franks. Not a good blocker anymore, hands of stone, slow as molasses.

MJZiggy
04-15-2007, 10:50 PM
Just list all the TE's and be done with it!

PlantPage55
04-15-2007, 11:02 PM
Zac Alcorn, Ruvelle Martin, Patrick Dendy, Marqua...well maybe not...
:lol:

Joemailman
04-15-2007, 11:11 PM
Noah Herron, Patrick Dendy, Junius Coston, Kevin Barry, Robert Ferguson, Colin Cole.

Fritz
04-16-2007, 06:49 AM
As I've said before, that phrase - "He's just a guy" - is one of my favorites. Perhaps the Packerrats should establish an end-of-year award called the "Just A Guy" Award, for the most mediocre player. Not bad, but mediocre. Someone who is slightly above just special teams (so a hustler with limited talent like Tracy White cannot get it), someone who is nearly anonymous but manages to stick around.

MadtownPacker
04-16-2007, 06:56 AM
Poppinga is not gonna get much better so he has to fall into the category of "just a guy".

Scott Campbell
04-16-2007, 07:12 AM
Davenport could earn playing time on this roster as is.

Zool
04-16-2007, 08:12 AM
Davenport could earn playing time on this roster as is.What, like 2 starts before the injury?

Patler
04-16-2007, 09:03 AM
I think it is too early to put Coston in that category. He hasn't played, so we don't know what he is or can be. After two years Marco Rivera was an unknown entity, too. Was not active for a single game as a rookie and played in NFL-E following it. He played only special teams occassionally his second year. Started and played poorly his third year, clearly the weakest link on the O-line that year, especially in pass protection. There was even talk about having to replace him. It was really his fourth season before he started to look like a good player.

Coston is so young (he's only 23) and inexperienced (not a big time college program) that I don't think it is possible to categorize him yet. He may turn out to be nothing, On the other hand, he is said to be very athletic and naturally powerful, with a bit of a mean streak in his play. There is still time for him to learn the NFL game and become a player.

packerbacker1234
04-16-2007, 04:29 PM
Bubba Franks. Not a good blocker anymore, hands of stone, slow as molasses.

LMFAO. Not a good blocker anymore? Right, I saw him lay out several players last year. Rarely any of bubba's assignments got to favre.

So last I checked, bubba is one of the best blocking TE's in the game, most certaintly the NFC.

Give it a rest, deadwood is players like our starting SS. SHows no talent in any phase of the game.