PDA

View Full Version : FA Pickups

MJZiggy
04-15-2007, 10:48 PM
Just looked at the roster and for those thinking the Packers have been completely inactive this free agency period, you should be aware that not only have the Packers signed Walker, they've also added the following players:

6 David Lonie P 6-5 210 27 1 California FA-07
48 Marcus Randall LB 6-1 232 25 1 Louisiana State FA-07
68 Devarick Scandrett DT 6-4 322 23 1 Mid Tenn St FA-07
Tim Goodwell LB 6-0 237 23 1 Memphis FA-07
Antonio Malone CB 6-0 188 23 1 Toledo FA-07

So there!! :P :taunt:

I was looking for the story about it, but evidently these people are not so newsworthy...

PaCkFan_n_MD
04-16-2007, 12:21 AM
Thats an impressive list. :D

mmmdk
04-16-2007, 03:39 AM
Yeah, maybe NFLE needs an expansion team!? :shock:

Bretsky
04-16-2007, 07:23 AM
Yeah, maybe NFLE needs an expansion team!? :shock:

I'm not sure they'd make the team :lol:

Chubbyhubby
04-16-2007, 08:17 AM
Just looked at the roster and for those thinking the Packers have been completely inactive this free agency period, you should be aware that not only have the Packers signed Walker, they've also added the following players:

I was looking for the story about it, but evidently these people are not so newsworthy...

Tim Goodwell LB
Antonio Malone CB

Both were assigned to the NFLE Goodwell was asigned to Berlin Malone was assigned to Rhein.

dt2121
04-16-2007, 08:34 AM
Marcus Randall is intriguing making the switch from College QB to NFL LB. He is very athletic and it will be interesting to see how he progresses. If nothing else I could see him being put on the practice squad.

MadtownPacker
04-16-2007, 08:38 AM
Marcus Randall is intriguing making the switch from College QB to NFL LB. He is very athletic and it will be interesting to see how he progresses. If nothing else I could see him being put on the practice squad.Wasn't Favre gonna be changed to LB in college? Maybe this guy is the next pack QB!! :D

Patler
04-16-2007, 10:00 AM
So which is better?:

Signing (maybe overpaying, maybe not) a free agent, two or three from a free agent group that everyone acknowledged was weak, while putting off Barnett until next year, and maybe forcing Jenkins to play for a restricted tender this year.

or

Passing on the free agents and using this years money to lock in Jenkins and Barnett for years to come.

I have to look at player signings from a global perspective. Signing Barnett and Jenkins and appeasing Harris with an upgraded contract are just as valuable to the long term success of the Packers as signing a free agent. Would it help to sign two free agents this year and lose Barnett or Jenkins next year?

TT was active in free agency last year, there were players he liked and he tried to sign them. He has chosen not to be active this year. I fully expect he will use 2007 cap dollars to sign Williams for 4 -5 years before the season is over. The result will be that TT will have a lot of flexibility for years to come to go after free agents that he really wants if and when they become available, like Pickett, Woodson and Manual last year.

Wouldn't the Packers have been better off the last two years if Wahle had been resigned in 2004, before his big roster bonus became due in 2005?

Partial
04-16-2007, 10:05 AM
Wouldn't the Packers have been better off the last two years if Wahle had been resigned in 2004, before his big roster bonus became due in 2005?

Of course they would, but Shermy didn't think that was too logical. We better watch it though or Rand will get up in a tizzy.

ND72
04-16-2007, 10:16 AM
A guy I want to watch come mini camp/training camp time that we signed last mid season, Spencer Havner. I loved that guy in college, he was just MEAN.

Patler
04-16-2007, 10:36 AM
A guy I want to watch come mini camp/training camp time that we signed last mid season, Spencer Havner. I loved that guy in college, he was just MEAN.

I never saw him play all that much, but others have said the same thing.
I vaguely recall something about an injury, or something else that happened to him as a Senior, that dropped him in the eyes of the scouts. Anyone remember what it was?

MJZiggy
04-16-2007, 01:12 PM
http://www.theunion.com/article/20070409/SPORTS/104090135

Article on Spencer Havner

the_idle_threat
04-17-2007, 02:05 AM
http://www.theunion.com/article/20070409/SPORTS/104090135

Article on Spencer Havner

From the Onion?

Oh ... the Union ... got it! :mrgreen:

RashanGary
04-17-2007, 05:57 AM
The thing that is most exciting about this team is that they appear to acctually be getting better and they continue to ensure flexiiblity year after year.

PaCkFan_n_MD
04-17-2007, 06:18 AM
The thing that is most exciting about this team is that they appear to acctually be getting better and they continue to ensure flexiiblity year after year.

If Rodgers turns out to just as good as Marc Bulger, Matt Hasselbeck, or Jack Delhomme, then this team has a great future. In about two years this team shouldn’t have any holes because I think Williams and Tauscher our are only two free agent starters for the next TWO off-seasons. That will almost force TT to pick up free agents when he has no one to re-sign. And Tauscher may already have his replacement on the roster.

Bretsky
04-17-2007, 07:51 AM
So which is better?:

Signing (maybe overpaying, maybe not) a free agent, two or three from a free agent group that everyone acknowledged was weak, while putting off Barnett until next year, and maybe forcing Jenkins to play for a restricted tender this year.

or

Passing on the free agents and using this years money to lock in Jenkins and Barnett for years to come.

I have to look at player signings from a global perspective. Signing Barnett and Jenkins and appeasing Harris with an upgraded contract are just as valuable to the long term success of the Packers as signing a free agent. Would it help to sign two free agents this year and lose Barnett or Jenkins next year?

TT was active in free agency last year, there were players he liked and he tried to sign them. He has chosen not to be active this year. I fully expect he will use 2007 cap dollars to sign Williams for 4 -5 years before the season is over. The result will be that TT will have a lot of flexibility for years to come to go after free agents that he really wants if and when they become available, like Pickett, Woodson and Manual last year.

Both is my answer; of course then we would not have as much flexibility down the road for those down to road type of fans :lol:

We had room to extned Jenkins and Barnett to normal deals, and fill a couple glaring holes via free agency. FB/TE/S as examples

Partial
04-17-2007, 09:25 AM

If Rodgers turns out to just as good as Marc Bulger, Matt Hasselbeck, or Jack Delhomme, then this team has a great future. In about two years this team shouldn’t have any holes because I think Williams and Tauscher our are only two free agent starters for the next TWO off-seasons. That will almost force TT to pick up free agents when he has no one to re-sign. And Tauscher may already have his replacement on the roster.

I don't know about that. While solid quarterbacks that can get you to the playoffs, none have won a superbowl and don't appear to have the chance to anytime soon. With a guy like that at the helm you've gotta have a lotta things go right.

Superstar QB is key.

Rastak
04-17-2007, 11:42 AM

I don't know about that. While solid quarterbacks that can get you to the playoffs, none have won a superbowl and don't appear to have the chance to anytime soon. With a guy like that at the helm you've gotta have a lotta things go right.

Superstar QB is key.

Brad Johnson
Trent Dilfer
Kurt Warner
Mark Rypian
Jeff Hosteteler
Phil Simms

They all have rings.....I don't consider them superstars. A superstar QB isn't a prerequisite for a superbowl win although it helps.

Travbrew
04-17-2007, 12:00 PM

Superstar QB is key.

Delhomme would have won it if their retarded kicker could have kept that last kickoff in-bounds. The Pats starting at the 40 left too short a field. They kicked the winner with 2-3 seconds left. I don't think they would have gotten into FG range had that kickoff been a good one. Not enough time to move the ball that far.
I vividly remember screaming at the TV "Kasay you f**king moron"

swede
04-17-2007, 12:18 PM
So did Kasay's mom.

woodbuck27
04-17-2007, 01:08 PM

Take a closer look. What's with those names.

With names like Lonie, Deverick (are you kidding me) Scandrett (what's a Scandrett?), Tim (as in Tiny?) Goodwell (ahwwwww come on) and Antonio Malone. . .Geeeeesshhhh

Football players?

I think not.