PDA

View Full Version : Darius Walker - option at RB for the Packers?

Patler
04-16-2007, 07:39 AM
Having watched most every game he played at ND, I would not mind the Packers taking a shot at him, He most likely will be available in the 3rd round, maybe even the fourth, although I'm not sure why. The way I see him:

1. He is a classic one-cut runner, sees a hole gets to it and runs toward the endzone.
2. He doesn't have great speed, but seems to be "fast enough" on the football field.
3. He is not real big, but runs surprisingly hard, and breaks a lot of tackles.
4. He set Notre Dame records for receptions by a runningback, catches the ball easily.
5. He fumbled on average only about once every 100 touches.
6. He is a very good blocker in pass protection, picks up linebackers very well.
7. He just seems like a very smart football player, even as a Freshman the coaches commented on how solid he was fundamentally.

After three season at ND he very quietly became one of the best runningbacks statistically in ND history. Multiple thousand yard seasons. 4.7 yards/carry average. He seems like one of those lesser-acclaimed runningbacks that could shine in a zone blocking running game, especially if spelled periodically with someone like Morrency.

ND72
04-16-2007, 09:16 AM
Since he's an ND guy...I'll chip in. I'm really "eh" about Darius Walker, because he doesn't have a lot of speed. But...I've seen a couple draft magazines that talk about how he is the best zone runner in the draft, which I can really see. He's extremely smart...and he has great vision. Besides that, he's a GREAT reciever out of the backfield. HE might be the "best" match with Vernand Morency in the entire draft. He's interesting to me. I'm on the fence about him. If we take him, I think he could be really good for our system, especially paired with Morency.

Patler
04-16-2007, 09:23 AM
Since he's an ND guy...I'll chip in. I'm really "eh" about Darius Walker, because he doesn't have a lot of speed. But...I've seen a couple draft magazines that talk about how he is the best zone runner in the draft, which I can really see. He's extremely smart...and he has great vision. Besides that, he's a GREAT reciever out of the backfield. HE might be the "best" match with Vernand Morency in the entire draft. He's interesting to me. I'm on the fence about him. If we take him, I think he could be really good for our system, especially paired with Morency.

That's exactly the way I see him. He does not have great 40 times, yet I saw him break enough long runs that I am convinced he plays faster than he times. More importantly, he runs extremely hard and will break tackles going through a hole.

I'm not real excited about him, but I certainly would not be disappointed for the Packers to take a shot at him. He might be one of those guys that at the end of the season you look at the stats and ask "How did he get 1100 yards rushing?" He'll do it without a big game, but a consistent 50-100 yards every game.

ND72
04-16-2007, 09:46 AM
Right. And he blocks well too, so you could put him and Morency in at the same time. And, he could get you that 1,100 yards rushing, and give you a good 400-500 yards recieving, which is really why I've liked him.

LL2
04-16-2007, 09:47 AM
It would seem logical for TT to take a guy like Walker. You never see Denver investing a first rd pick in a RB and they have one of the best running games in the NFL. It seems you have to find the right “guy” for ZBS not the best RB prospect. Only 12 days to D day!

ND72
04-16-2007, 10:12 AM
everyone talks about needing a "speedster" when really, in a zone offense, the really fast guys (Reggie Bush) aren't always the best zone runners. In fact if you watch a Saints game, when Bush runs the ball, it's rarely, if ever a zone...it's usually a toss where he can catch and use his speed, or a quick off tackle type play. which is what we could have in a Walker/Morency combo. Walker is a true zone runner, and isn't afraid to go up the middle and lower his shoulder. Morency is more of a speed guy, where if you let him use it, he could be dangerous...yet he can run zone pretty well also. Good Thread here Patler...I never really thought of Walker coming to GB, just cause I was never that big of a fan of his at ND...but the more I think of it, the better off I think we could be with him.

Patler
04-16-2007, 10:28 AM
Walker just seems like a guy that would "fit" what the Packers need. I am not comfortable with Morrency taking the snaps Green did in the passing game. He looks uncomfortable at times as a receiver, and his blocking is suspect. Walker excells in both. I really like the physical way Walker runs. He keeps driving when hit, like Green, although he is smaller than Green and not as powerful. He runs low, and is not an easy guy to tackle.

Plus, he will be available, and cheap!

MJZiggy
04-16-2007, 10:33 AM
Plus, he will be available, and cheap!

TT's favorite kind of player... :P

pittstang5
04-16-2007, 11:13 AM
I never gave Walker too much of a thought, but you two have me sold on him. The best thing about him, it seems the Pack could get him in the later rounds and he'd probably be a quality starter his first year.

mmmdk
04-16-2007, 12:48 PM
I thought Walker was a J.J. Arrington type of player!? But JJ, as I remember him, was fast in college. Arrington showed a little in his second season for Cards; as for a Packer RB...anybody has to be better than Herron though Herron is a smart player but little playmaking ability. Morency is a nice #2 RB.

BallHawk
04-16-2007, 06:13 PM
I think that, if we take a RB, it will be either Walker or Antonio Pittman. Pittman is #1 on my list, but I would be fine with Walker. Hell, anybody not named Marshawn I'd be happy with.

the_idle_threat
04-17-2007, 01:40 AM
I watched him in this video, and I don't see the "good hands." He dropped every pass!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZE1-Z3Bmys

b bulldog
04-17-2007, 07:20 AM
I think Pittman is also considered bhy many the best ZBS runner in this draft and I would much rather have him than Walker.

Joemailman
04-17-2007, 10:01 AM
Sporting News doesn't think highly of Walker. They have him lasting until late in the 7th round. I don't know about that, but I wouldn't take him earlier that round 5.

Darius Walker
RB, Notre Dame

War Room analysis
Strengths: Is a smooth and fluid athlete with the quick footwork to stop and start quickly to avoid defenders. Shows good instincts and vision. Excels at following blockers and cutting off them. Is surprisingly strong; consistently absorbs hard hits and keeps on going, and runs through arm tackles. Is nifty and agile between the tackles. Shows terrific hands as a receiver.

Weaknesses: Lacks explosiveness to shoot through holes and breakaway speed to get behind the defense. Struggles to get through fast-closing holes on the backside. Doesn't run aggressively, lower his shoulders or deliver blows. Doesn't attack if the holes aren't there. In pass protection, shows inconsistent effort and technique. Runs upright, taking plenty of hard hits and raising durability concerns.

Bottom line: Walker should have stayed at Notre Dame for his senior season because he lacks the speed, burst and size/strength to be an NFL starter. With his skills, he projects a backup with the hands and agility to produce as a third-down back.

Career statistics

Rushing Receiving
Team Att. Yds. Avg. TD Att./TD Rec. Yds. Avg. TD
'04 Notre Dame 185 821 4.4 7 26.4 10 74 7.4 0
'05 Notre Dame 253 1274 5.0 9 28.1 43 351 8.2 2
'06 Notre Dame 255 1310 5.1 7 36.4 56 391 7.0 1
Totals 693 3405 4.9 23 30.1 109 816 7.5 3

Most glaring weakness as I see it would be their claim that he struggles to get through fast closing holes on the backside. However, as Brady Quinn knows, ND didn't have a great OL, so maybe that's not all his fault

K-town
04-17-2007, 10:59 AM
Always seemed to me that he was effective at the college level, but wouldn't do as well in the NFL. A try-hard, good-character guy without a second gear or the overall talent to be an impact player. We had a guy that reminds me of Walker a few years back. Also from Notre Dame. Name of Tony Fisher. Walker, IMO, is better, but not by much.
But I could be wrong. I've been wrong before.

Patler
04-17-2007, 08:46 PM
Always seemed to me that he was effective at the college level, but wouldn't do as well in the NFL. A try-hard, good-character guy without a second gear or the overall talent to be an impact player. We had a guy that reminds me of Walker a few years back. Also from Notre Dame. Name of Tony Fisher. Walker, IMO, is better, but not by much.
But I could be wrong. I've been wrong before.

I watch a lot of ND games. Rarely miss one. There was a world of difference between Tony Fisher and Darius Walker in running ability.

I wonder how many games some of these guys see before they write their reports. The Sporting News statement that Walker, "Doesn't run aggressively, lower his shoulders or deliver blows." is flat out wrong from what I have seen over three seasons. He's not a big guy, but consistently drives into would be tacklers for extra yardage. Of course, on the other hand they did write, "consistently absorbs hard hits and keeps on going, and runs through arm tackles"

Kind of reminds of one a few years ago, describing a receiver that said he had excellent hands but dropped too many passes!

ND72
04-17-2007, 08:52 PM
Darius Walker's biggest "negative" is his speed...he won't run past anyone, but if he gets past you, he's gone. he's had a lot of big runs at ND...and about whoever it was seeing a clip where he dropped every ball....I believe in the 3 years he played at ND, he set a ND RB recieving record. He's quick, not fast. Emmit Smith was quick, but not fast.

b bulldog
04-17-2007, 09:20 PM
He is no Emmit Smith. He is a back that didn't look overly good in college and came out early because ND is really going to struggle next season and his draft stock would have plummited even more.

ND72
04-17-2007, 09:31 PM
I never meat it to be him as the next emmitt smith.....just comparing that he's quick, not fast, like Emmitt. and to say he didn't look overly good in college, tells me you didn't really watch. I didn't like him because he was the 2nd rated RB coming out of HS behind Adrian Peterson, and I compared too much to Peterson. But he put up over 3,500 all purpose yards in 3 years, and his freshman year, he wasn't the feature guy, Julius Jones was. I think he has a lot of potential in the right system.

b bulldog
04-17-2007, 09:35 PM
I watch as little ND football as possible but the games I have watched, he was nothing special and that was why so many thought it a curious decision for him to come out early as he did. I've seen him possibly being picked as early as round four and as late as round 7.

ND72
04-17-2007, 09:38 PM
He won't get past round 4.

b bulldog
04-17-2007, 09:43 PM
I could care less just so we don't get him. He'll never be anything more than just a guy.

ND72
04-17-2007, 09:47 PM
He'll be more than just a guy. Write that down. I'd take him before I took Tony Hunt or Kenny Irons any day.

ND72
04-17-2007, 09:51 PM
I'm not saying he's gonna be a pro bowler...But if he ends up like a Kevin Faulk...Kevin Faulk has had a pretty good career.

Patler
04-17-2007, 09:57 PM
I watch as little ND football as possible but the games I have watched, he was nothing special and that was why so many thought it a curious decision for him to come out early as he did. I've seen him possibly being picked as early as round four and as late as round 7.

That's exactly what I said about him. People look back, see nothing special, yet he rushed for over 1000 yards the past two seasons, and gots a couple hundred more receiving. He does it with steady, if unspectacular play, whcih is what the Packer rushing game is supposed to be about.

ND72
04-17-2007, 09:59 PM
That's exactly what I said about him. People look back, see nothing special, yet he rushed for over 1000 yards the past two seasons, and gots a couple hundred more receiving. He does it with steady, if unspectacular play, whcih is what the Packer rushing game is supposed to be about.

Welcome to the life of a zone blocking team. Which is why I wasn't worried when Ahman left, because in a zone team it's suppose to be a hit them, hit them, burn them type system, and Ahman never did that. I think Morency did a better job of that last year. Which is why I like Pittman, Chris Henry, and Walker. "Bigger" (thicker) backs that can take a hit, and be a perfect tandem with Morency.

b bulldog
04-17-2007, 10:17 PM
I would much rather have Pittman