PDA

View Full Version : The Mel Kiper Jr. 2007 Draft Report has arrived

gureski
04-16-2007, 04:22 PM
I just got it in the mail. I've been really crunched for time lately and unable to spend much time here but I'm willing to share Mel's comments on whatever players you want to hear about.

Just list the player you want info on and I'll try to paraphrase Mel's comments for you. I'd tell you what he said precisely but if you've ever seen the draft report you'll know that the explanations can get rather lengthy so that's not realistic, or legal, for me to spill his comments word for word.

Rick

LL2
04-16-2007, 04:29 PM
I'd tell you what he said precisely but if you've ever seen the draft report you'll know that the explanations can get rather lengthy so that's not realistic, or legal, for me to spill his comments word for word.

Yes, you are taking subscription revenue from his hair gel fund.

Does he have a Packer specific analysis? What does he say on Garret Wolfe from NIU? I'll start with a play that doesn't get much talk.

BF4MVP
04-16-2007, 04:35 PM
Marshawn Lynch

ND72
04-16-2007, 04:43 PM
I just got it in the mail. I've been really crunched for time lately and unable to spend much time here but I'm willing to share Mel's comments on whatever players you want to hear about.

Just list the player you want info on and I'll try to paraphrase Mel's comments for you. I'd tell you what he said precisely but if you've ever seen the draft report you'll know that the explanations can get rather lengthy so that's not realistic, or legal, for me to spill his comments word for word.

Rick

it just came? I've had for almost a month! (yes, i'm sad...at least that's what my girlfriend tells me).

BallHawk
04-16-2007, 06:06 PM
Ben Patrick TE
Chris Henry RB
Jason Hill WR
Kenny Irons RB

gureski
04-16-2007, 11:34 PM
Marshawn Lynch

I'll toss these out there as soon as I can guys.... Since I did already read Lynch, ....here is that one...

Kiper has Lynch as the 2nd best RB prospect in the draft.

Kiper has the Packer selecting Lynch with the 16th pick in his 3 round mock draft.

Kiper refers to Lynch as 'arguably the toughest runner in college football' and compares him by name with Corey Dillon.

Kiper says that Lynch is a, "...tough and bruising runner, who isn't real elusive but not easy to tackle either."

Kiper has Lynch running a 4.49 (40) and measures him at 5'11" & 215lbs.

Combine notes from Kiper have Lynch running a 4.46 (40), doing 20 reps on the bench press of which I believe 225 is the weight they all lift for those, and a 35 and 1/2 inch vertical.

Kiper gave Lynch props for finishing as one of only 5 RB's in the nation with over 6 yards per carry average (in a tough Pac-10 division).

Kiper lauded Lynch for running hard and getting yards after initial contact.

Some things that stood out to me while reading about Lynch's background including high school:

He is from the Bay area and chose to stay there when selecting a college. That always says something about a guys character to me when he stays home.

Was a 3 time all-league selection coming out of high school in Oakland. Unbelievable year in 2003 when he scored 33 TD's and put up 1,700 plus yards on the ground in just 8 games.

Though Lynch has been built up as a pass receiver, his 34 pass receptions last year matched his total from the prior two seasons combined. That just tells me that he's not as experienced catching the ball as some are thinking he is. 34 balls isn't alot. Not enough for me to consider the guy a talent at catching the ball out of the backfield.

Lynch finished as Cal's 2nd all-time leading rusher and set the record for 100 yard rushing performances in a career with 17.

Oh, and he looks like a punk. Think E.James when he was coming out of college. Lynch's has a Messy hair cut, wearing a polo shirt for his official picture where-as most other guys are wearing their uniform or a suit. Cocky look on his face. It's not comforting. It's not Hawk of last year when you looked at the guy and he just said 'Football' and professionalism.

BF4MVP
04-16-2007, 11:40 PM
Thanks a lot, man.

gureski
04-16-2007, 11:56 PM
Kenny Irons RB

Kiper says Irons rushed for nearly 2,000 yards as a high school senior in South Carolina in 2001 (1,985 yds). Says Irons elected to stay close to home and went with South Carolina.

Irons college career started slow as he played but didn't get major carries. After 2 uneventful years with South Carolina, Irons transferred to Auburn and had to sit out the 2004 season.

Irons exploded onto the scene in 2005 as Auburn's starter in 9 of 12 games. He was a unanimous pick to the All-SEC First Team in 2005 with 1,293 yds rushing and 13 TD's (also over a 5 yd per carry avg). He put up some major performances that year going over 100 yds 8 times as a Junior and topped 200 yds once. (218yds vs LSU, 179 yds vs Georgia, 182yds vs Arkansas, & 147yds vs Ball State)

Kiper says Irons came into this past year with high expectations but ended up missing 2 games due to injury and was slowed in several others. He repeated as First Team, All-SEC but did so with only 893 yds rushing and 4 TD's. (avg per carry dropped to 4.5 yds) Irons had three 100 yd games last year including starting off the year with 183 yds vs Washington State.

Kiper says Irons is very good, when healthy. Says he runs hard and has good feet and balance. He says Irons can run either between the tackles or bounce it outside. Kiper says Irons is a willing blocker, but not a great one, and that Irons will do an okay job of catching the ball out of the backfield.

Kiper says that he felt, coming into this year, that Irons would be a mid-first round pick. Says Injuries ruined that and some team is going to get a bargain.

Kiper has Irons as the 4th best RB overall in this draft. He shows him as being 5'10 1/2" tall, 200lbs. Runs a 4.45 (40).

Combine notes have Irons running a 4.45 (40), skipping the bench press, and having a 38" vertical leap.

My own thoughts as I read:

I'm biased in that I've called for the Packers to draft Irons, hopefully in the 2nd round, but I see a kid that was held back by injuries and 2 uneventful years to start his college career. I think he's going to be a great pick up for some team in the second round.

The fact he stayed home to go to college shows some character. Continuing to believe in himself after 2 uneventful seasons in South Carolina shows character too as he then burst out in 2005 to put himself on the map.

I see that big game potential with Irons that I don't see with Lynch. Irons produced more big yardage days in his short time then Lynch did in Cal. Lynch is just more of a chain mover while I see Irons, based on his numbers, as having the ability to break a run and rack up yards in chunks while also being able to move the chains.

Almsot forgot: Kiper has Irons going to Tennessee in the 2nd round with the 50th overall pick in the draft. (18th pick in the second round, if my math is correct)

OS PA
04-17-2007, 01:07 AM
While we're on this Running Back tangent could you add Michael Bush to your list?

gureski
04-17-2007, 08:32 AM
Does he have a Packer specific analysis?

Yes, and this is the gist of it:

Packers Needs:

Kiper lists the Packers needs in the following order:

1. RB
2. WR
3. Strong Safety
4. TE
5. CB
6. FB
7. O-Line depth
8. Punt/Kick Returner
9. PK

Highlights of Mel's comments on the Packers and their needs:

Kiper called Morency, "...strictly back up material." said Herron was, "...a decent all-around back....in 2006....but not a consideration as a primary ball carrier." On Pope, Kiper said, "Pope is just a roster guy."

Kiper praised Jennings and Driver and said the Packers need to find a #3 WR that can stretch the field and make some big plays. Kiper says Ruvell Martin gave the team some big plays but said the jury is still out on him.

Kiper thinks Favre and Franks have a special comfort level that will allow Franks to remain the starter for 2007. Kiper says the following about the Packers back up TE's, "I am told they like some of the raw ability they've seen in youngsers Tory Humphrey and Zac Alcorn."

Kiper says the Pack has little after Harris and Woodson. Mentions Dendy as not a liability but also not an asset. Says the jury is still out on Blackmon and wonders whether he can become anything because of the switch from CB to WR during his senior season in college. Infers the coaches changed him to WR for more reason then just team needs. Kiper mentions Frank Walker and states that he had promise early on in his career but then says that Walker was never able to, "...take the next step."

O-Line Depth: Kiper says that after Tony Moll, there aren't many positive things to say about Coston, Palmer and Walter. Kiper

Kiper points out the obvious, that the Packers need better return from their return game.

PK - this was a surprise for me to see Kiper being critical of Rayner. Kiper says Rayner had an up and down year and said that Rayner's leg was ideal in strength but that his accuracy isn't there all the time. Kiper seems confident that the Packers will bring in a veteran, a late pick, or a street free agent to truly challenge Rayner in camp.

gureski
04-17-2007, 08:39 AM
Ben Patrick TE
Chris Henry RB
Jason Hill WR
Kenny Irons RB

I don't have time right now to go over Hill and Henry but both are suprisingly impressive. Henry seems like an athlete first, and a football player second. The kind of guy who looks the role but doesn't necessarily play to that potential. I'll write more on him later.

On Hill, his bio reminded me of Jennings from last year in that the guy has this impressive resume and yet he's not mentioned with the top guys when you hear people talk about the draft. Hill could be a Jennings type steal. His production in college was consistantly high calibur. I'll write more on him later.

Right now I wanted to do up the Patrick comments for everyone:

TE Ben Patrick

Per Kiper, Patrick is 6' 3&1/4" tall, weighs 256 and runs a 4.69 (40)

Kiper says Patrick has excellent hands and a 'ton of natural ability'.

Patrick played QB, TE, LB, & Punter in high school in 2001 (Savannah, GA) and was a Team MVP as a Senior and an all-city performer. Patrick led the team in passing and receiving on offense and tackles on defense as a senior. He also lettered in baseball and basketball.

Patrick went to Duke and redshirted his first season (2002). In 2003, he started 1 game and appeared in 10 games total and finished with 18 receptions for 218yds and 1 TD. This was good enough to earn ACC all-freshman honors.

In 2004, Patrick started 6 games and appeared in 11 games total. He finished with a team high 32 receptions, 311 yds receiving, and 1 TD.

In 2005, Patrick started 8 games and appeared in 10 total. He again led the team in catches (30) and put up 252 yds receiving. Highlight of the season, and possibly his Division IA career came in 2005 with a 10 reception, 100 yd performance against Clemson.

Transferred down to Division IAA after the 2005 to what Kiper called 'Division I-AA perennial powerhouse Deleware'.

Patrick earned All-American honors in 2006. Had a school record 64 receptions, and 639 yds receiving to go along with 6TD's. Patrick led his team in receiving yards. Had 1 game with 100 plus yrds receiving and 1 game with 90 plus yds receiving.

Patrick was the only Division I-AA player to be invited to the Senior Bowl and did a 'nice job' during the week of practices.

Kiper goes on to say that Patrick is, "..big, can run, and has great hands to make the catch. His concnetration however, leaves something to be desired at times, causing him to drop a catchable ball every now and then. Patrick will also have to become a more consistant and reliable blocker."

Combine Numbers: 4.74 (40), didn't lift, and had a 34 1/2" vertical leap.

Kiper has Patrick going to.....DUN DUN DUNNNNN our own Green Bay Packers in the second round, with the 47th overall pick.

My own random thoughts after reading the bio:

Anytime a player has to go down to Division Two in order to get noticed, that raises a red flag to me. The talent was there, but the kid couldn't put together the consistant performance to match his ability. He couldn't even become a full-time starter at Duke. Duke's not exactly a powerhouse football program. That's another red flag.

And why not go to another Division I school? Why the seeming panic and a move to a North East school after staying in the south for his high school and college life? It just seems like a deliberate move to try to raise his draft value. Going to a 'perennial powerhouse' Division Two team so he could lots of talent around him to help him stand out and put up nice numbers....... it just seems so manufactured. And the kid didn't dominate Division Two! He only had one 100 yd game and another in the 90's. It's not like he stood out, head and shoulders ahead of the other talent around him.

Seemed really inconsistant. A few good games dot his college resume but in the end, the kid couldn't even lock up the starting job at Duke and he was there for 4 years! (1 was a red-shirt). I'm disappointed after reading this bio. I've heard Kiper and others tout this kid as a potential sleeper player from the Division Two schools. After reading up on it, the whole situation seems manufactured.

MJZiggy
04-17-2007, 09:03 AM
Tell me why my gut tells me we get Paul Williams.

HarveyWallbangers
04-17-2007, 09:14 AM
I got the USA Today draft newspaper. I like it because it's not as outdated as the magazines that get printed--like the ESPN draft magazine that I bought. However, I won't be typing in the articles.
:D

Bretsky
04-17-2007, 12:52 PM

Cause you listen to Mad ?

gureski
04-17-2007, 03:58 PM
Chris Henry RB

Chris Henry

5' 11&1/4" tall, 229lbs, 4.43 (40)

Kiper says Henry is 'athletically gifted' but needs to 'become more consistant at the next level'.

Henry was a track star in high school (stockton, CA) Track team captain his Junior and Senior years. Henry gained 300 yds as a Junior playing FB. Henry lettered 3 times in baseball and 2 times in basketball.

In 2003, as a college freshman, Henry got into 2 games before injuring himself for the rest of the season. He was awarded a medical waiver (redshirt) and came back in 2004 as a second year freshman. He played in 11 games that year gaining 159 yds on the ground in 56 attempts. In 2005, as a third year sophomore, Henry became the main back up RB and gained 119 yds on 34 carries while also contributing on special teams. 2006 saw Henry play in 11 games and 581 yds rushing, 7 TD's. (3.5 yd per carry avg) He had 21 receptions for 197 yds and 1 TD too.

Mel says, "As a package, he is everything you look for in a big time back. ...outstanding upper body strength.....outstanding straight line speed...He looks like a first round pick....However, Henry was inconsistant during his brief college career....he also had some fumbling issues..."

Mel feels the kid should've stayed in college for at least another year.

Combine notes: 4.40 (40), bench press 26 reps, and a 36 vertical leap

My miscellaneous thoughts as I read the bio:

Sounds like a classic athlete playing football as opposed to a football player.

Don't see any real production from this guy. I didn't see one example of a 100 yd rushing game! Only a handful of performances that even came close to 100 yds rushing or receiving! Why is he so hyped when he has no statistical performance, dating back to high school, to show for his ability?

Mel has Henry going to Cleveland with the third pick in the third round (67 overall)

Spaulding
04-17-2007, 04:16 PM
Gureski, first off thanks for sharing the publication. With regard to Henry, I don't see TT drafting him as he's not his type of guy (i.e. measureables but no on field production).

Hope he takes a long look at Weddle from Utah in the 3rd if still around. What does the mag say about him?

oregonpackfan
04-17-2007, 04:30 PM
Marshawn Lynch

Kiper gave Lynch props for finishing as one of only 5 RB's in the nation with over 6 yards per carry average (in a tough Pac-10 division).

"A tough Pac-10 Division?" Since when has the Pac-10 been a tough defensive conference?

Since I moved out here to Oregon 17 years ago, I have been amazed as to how the Pac-10 is so weak in their defensive units. This is a conference known to value strong offensive teams but to pay lip service to their defensive units.

Games tend to be interesting, high-scoring affairs but the emphasis seems to be aimed clearly on the offense.

Showing Lynch's stats by competing in the Pac-10 is a liability for Lynch rather than an asset, IMO.

BallHawk
04-17-2007, 05:04 PM
You beat me to it, OPF. The Pac-10 has its share of good teams, USC, Cal and OSU the top ones. However, those teams make it by on their Offense. 6 teams in that division averaged 25 points a game and up. Also, all but one team (USC) allowed more than 150 PA (Points Against) the whole season. The Pac-10 is a razzle-dazzle conference. I really would've of liked to see Marshawn against some Big 10 Defense like OSU, Michigan, or Wisconsin.

gureski
04-17-2007, 08:44 PM
What does he say on Garret Wolfe from NIU? I'll start with a play that doesn't get much talk.

Garrett Wolfe

5' 71/2" tall, 183 lbs, & 4.45 (40)

According to Mel, Wolfe's production in college was off the charts. "His diminutive size will probably limit him to situational status in the NFL."

Wolfe was a 2-time All-Illinois and an all American pick in high School from Chicago. Wolfe put up over 4,311 yds rushing and 56 TD's over his final two seasons in high school. He set 11 school records in high school.

Wolfe also played track in high school.

Wolfe joined Northern Illinois and had to redshirt his first year (2002) and then missed his second year (2003) for academic reasons.

Wolfe finally got a chance to play in 2004 and immediately went from third on the depth chart to leading the Nation in rushing that year. He played in 11 games and started 6 while putting up 1,656 yds and 18 TD's. (6.5 yd per carry avg)

Quoting Mel, "While most backs count the number of 100-yard games in a season, Wolfe was counting his 200 yard efforts." Wolfe had 4 games over 200 yards as a third year sophomore and topped the 300 yd mark once. In one game vs Bowling Green, Wolfe had over 200 yds rushing and 3TD's in just the second half alone!

Wolfe was first team All-MAC and won the conference triple crown (rushing, scoring, and all-purpose yards)

In 2005, Wolfe repeated his triple crown and added Team MVP honors to his growing list of accolades. Despite missing 3 games due to injury, 2005 saw Wolfe rush for 1,580 yds and 16TD's 20 pass receptions for 222 yds and 1 TD. Of Wolfe's 9 games in 2005 he went over 100 yards in 7, topping the 300 yd mark 3 times. Included in those numbers were performance's against Michigan (17-148, TD) and Northwestern (34-245, 3TD's).

Going into 2006, Kiper says Wolfe was a legitimate Heisman candidate. Wolfe didn't disappoint tying or setting career highs for yards (1,928), carries (309), receptions (28), receiving yards (249), and TD's (18).

Wolfe started 2006 with 6 straight 100 yd games (some 200 yd & a 350 yd game mixed in there) but then had a bad stretch to end the season, finishing with only two 100-yard games over the last 7 contests. '

Wolfe finished as the career rushing leader for the MAC conference and was Northern Illinois career leader in rushing yards and TD's.

Kiper says Wolfe is a, "...small back with quickness and good change of direction. ...good balance....low center of gravity..."

Mel feels Wolfe will need to be used in the right situation so he doesn't wear down from the pounding of the NFL. Mel also feels Wolfe will need to learn to return kicks to last in the NFL.

Kiper says Wolfe will be a day two pick.

Combine notes: didn't run, bench press 22 times, 35&1/2" vertical leap.

Thoughts as I read the bio:

What a surprise this kid was to read about.

Yeah, he's small and didn't play at a major college but he produced and like Greg Jennings, played well against tough teams like Michigan and Northwestern.

I can't recall too many other RB's with this kind of resume. It's really astonishing to read the statistics this kid has collected in High School and in college. He makes me wonder if he's the kind of guy who is always discounted because of his size but never lets that stand in his way.

I wondered what his size was compared to W.Dunn and found out the following: W.Dunn is 5' 9" tall and weighs 180 lbs. Wolfe is 5' 7&1/2" tall and 183 lbs. He's not that far off Dunn's size. Dunn has been incredibly successful in the NFL and specifically in the Zone Blocking System. This kid could be a late round steal for someone. That's my impression. He sounds special. I don't understand why guys like Chris Henry who have no resume to go along with their ability are considered better prospects then guys like Wolfe who have proven themselves on the field.

gureski
04-17-2007, 09:04 PM
Jason Hill WR

WR Jason Hill 6' 1/2" tall, 205lbs, 4.34 (40)

Kiper says Hill is an, "...athletic wideout that can run. ...has the speed to beat you...but needs to refine a few things before he'll be a complete receiver in the NFL."

Hill, from S.F., was all-region in high school both as a WR and DB. H was also a standout basketball player.

Hill spent most of his true freshman season (2003) on special teams covering punts and kickoffs. He had two big time tackles in the Fiesta Bowl vs Texas.

As a sophomore, (2004) Hill started and in 11 games he earned team Offensive MVP honors with 45 receptions for 1,007 yds (22.4 yd avg) and a school record 12 TD's.

In 2005, Hill missed all of one game and part of another with a quad contusion. Still, he managed 62 receptions for 1,097 yds and 13TD's in 2005 (breaking his own team record). Hill started racking up receptions this season having 8 receptions in a game twice and 10 once.

In 2006, Hill was again named Co-MVP with 41 receptions, 600 yds receiving, and a team high 7 TD's in just 10 games. (he missed two games with a high ankle sprain)

Hill ended his college career with 32 TD receptions, second only to D.Jarrett for tops in Pac-10 history.

According to Mel, "Hill played vs. some very skilled CB's in the Pac-10 during his career and put up some impressive numbers in those games. ....though his senior numbers were down, he has alot of talent, particularly in deeper routes. He can stretch the field and catch the deep ball. ....he will drop catchable balls every now and then. ...an indication that his concentration level leaves something to be desired.... He does need to refine some things in his game, including becoming a more consistant option and getting more physical when coming off press-coverage."

combine notes:
4.32 (40), didn't lift, 37" vertical leap

my thoughts as I read this bio:

I have read of this kid before and his production was big time in college. The numbers support this. Solid WR stats and obvious big play ability. High number of TD's.

Good speed, nice size. Sounds like he's going to be a good player. Possibly something the Pack could look at given his deep ball ability.

KIPER has Hill going in the third round to Detroit with the 2nd pick of that round.

gureski
04-17-2007, 09:22 PM
While we're on this Running Back tangent could you add Michael Bush to your list?

Michael Bush 6'-1&1/2" tall, 245 lbs, 4.59 (40)

Kiper starts with strong praise saying, "a very good all-around back, Bush would have definitely been in the first round mix had he not missed virtually all of the 2006 season with a broken lower leg."

Played high school ball in Louisville and played QB his senior year after seeing time at RB, WR, DB, LB, and DE in prior years. He was named Kentucky's Mr. Football in 2002 after completing 63% of his passes for 2,891 yds passing and 35 TD's. He also rushed for 911 yds and 7 TD's and caught 17 balls for 240yds and a score.

As a freshman at Louisville (college) in 2003, Bush went for 100 yards twice.

As a sophomore (2004) Bush played in 12 games and got 3 starts adding up to 734 yds rushing and 7 TD's. Avg'd 5.6 yds per carry. Had one 100 yard game.

Per Kiper, Bush, "Emerged as a force in 2005, setting a Louisville record for rushing TD's " (23) and leading the conference with 1,243 yds rushing. He earned 1st team all-conference honors starting 9 of 10 games he played in. He did miss 2 games due to injury that year.

Kiper states that entering 2006, Bush was a legitimate Heisman contender, but a broken leg against Kentucky in the opener slammed the door on that dream. In the game where Bush broke his leg, he had racked up 128 yards rushing on 17 carries in the third quarter before the injury struck.

Mel says Bush is, "...a north/south runner with a ton of ability. He's a big back, but has just enough shiftiness to be an effective every down option. He runs with power and shows ability in the passing game, effectively catching the ball out of the backfield. ...... if he can come back at 100%, Bush has the athleticism, size, and production to be a difference maker in an NFL backfield. .....would've have definitely been a first round pick in 2006" if not for the injury.

Combine notes: no work out

My thoughts as I read:

I thought I had heard his injury was bad and that he may have to rehab through training camp? I thought he was a guy that you couldn't count on for this coming year? Odd that Mel didn't comment on his injury status as of today.

Other then the injury, the kid sounds like a bonafide prospect. Would've liked to have seen another solid year out of him but the injury took it away so you have to go on what he did the year before. That and he started strong in the game he got injured. Looked like he was moving right along, 128 yds by the third quarter is pretty good.

Not bad for the Pack to take but I wonder if he's going to be healthy enough to help anyone this year. I could've swore I heard his injury status took a turn for the worse a few weeks ago.

Kiper has Bush going in the third round to Atlanta with the 75th overall pick.

gureski
04-17-2007, 09:25 PM
it just came? I've had for almost a month! (yes, i'm sad...at least that's what my girlfriend tells me).

It was just mailed on 04/13 so you couldn't have had it for a month. He has other publications. The free agent guide would've been out a month ago, did you buy that too? I didn't this year.

J-Rok
04-17-2007, 09:39 PM
Being that I live about thirty minutes from NIU, I caught plenty of their football games on Comcast. Wolfe rarely takes a direct hit. He's extremely quick, shifty, and wiry--I hardly ever saw someone lock-on Wolfe. He's fast as well. He can scoot by DBs on breakaways. A few games I saw, they would just dump the ball off to him in the flats and he would avoid a few tackles and break it for a long gain. I'm not sure about the stats, but I would expect you would find a high yards per catch average. If a DLinemen gets a hold of him, Wolfe will probably go down easily. And I would hate to see Urlacher running in his direction.

If I remember right, he had scholarships to some division one schools, but his grades were way too low, so they stripped the scholarships away. He drove over to DeKalb and got on the team. He was behind Michael Turner, then. The last two years he was tearing it up. Many big games came against some really tough opponents. I saw the game against Ohio State. I think he had +200 yards against the Buckeyes. Then he kept getting 300 yard games over and over until teams basically stacked the line and only paid attention to the run. NIU had an okay passing game, but teams realized the passing game couldn't beat them without Wolfe's help.

I really really liked Wolfe--I'm a homer, I guess. I would be ecstatic to have him on the Packers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_N4jeoGz2M

At least watch until he cuts through three Buckeyes for the endzone. It's crazy.

Edit: Haha. A Hawk on D and a Wolfe on O. Hahaha.

gureski
04-17-2007, 09:56 PM
Gureski, first off thanks for sharing the publication. With regard to Henry, I don't see TT drafting him as he's not his type of guy (i.e. measureables but no on field production).

Hope he takes a long look at Weddle from Utah in the 3rd if still around. What does the mag say about him?

Kiper has Weddle going to Jacksonville in the 2nd round, the very pick after the Packer's are predicted to take TE Ben Patrick so Mel doesn't think Weddle is making it into the third round.

Kiper writes a TON about this kid and I'm a bit tired to overly detail it but I'll give you some highlights....

Kiper starts off by saying that Weddle is, "One of the more, if not the most, versatile players in this draft, Weddle was a stwo-way start fot the Utes and will offer the team that drafts him a ton of options in how to best employ his skills."

High School in Alta Loma, CA as a two time league offensive and defensive MVP. As a senior he made 129 tackles, intercepted 5 passes, forced 4 fumbles and recovered 5 fumbles on defense. On offense, he rushed for 587 yds and 22 TD's while passing for 965 yds and 5 TD's. Also lettered in basketball and baseball.

In 2003, Weddle was named a freshman all-American. He played in all 12 games and started 9 at CB. From this point on, the 2003 and 2004 stats make it clear that the kid has a real nose for the ball. Going through multiple statistics that are too many for me to mention, it's clear that Weddle made tons of plays (tackles, interceptions, fumbles, and key defense's of the pass).

Per Kiper, in 2005 "Weddle really elevated his game as a junior, leading the conference in total passes defended, breaking up 12 and intercepting 4, and earning first team All-Mountain West accolades and conference Defensive player of the year honors. He was credited with 78 total tackles, including 11 stops for loss and 4 sacks and he forced 3 fumbles."

This is meaningful.....per Kiper, Weddle, "held All-American WR Calvin Johnson of Georgia Tech to just 2 receptions for 19 yards in the Emerald Bowl, earning game MVP honors."

In 2006, Weddle saw action at CB, Safety, QB, RB, Holder, Punt & Kick return specialist, and on coverage teams. He repeated as Mountain West's Defensive player of the year and added first team All-America recognitionto his resume. Led the conference with 7 interceptions, had 64 tackles, 2.5 tackles behind the lind of scrimmage, 1 sack, 2 passes defensed, 1 forced fumble, and 3 fumble recoveries. On offense, Weddle carried the ball 44 times for 203 yds and 5 TD's. He completed 2 of his 4 pass attempts for 43 yards and a score, and returned 8 punts for a 5.5 yard average. He scored 9 total TD's and pulled one incredible stunt where he scored a TD on offense and then took the field on defense, picked off a ball on the very first play and ran it in for a score thus scoring back to back TD's.

I said I wouldn't do this but this is good stuff that has to be shared....

In a game vs Air Force, Weddle had 8 tackles, rushed for 72 yds, scored 2 TD's, and held fthe placekick on the game winning FG! That's clutch.

In the Armed Forces Bowl win against Tulsa, Weddle made 6 tackles, 1 sack, intercepted a pass, recovered a fumble, and rushed 10 times for 56 yds and a TD.

Per Mel, "Weddle is a true gamer out there. He's smart, always in the right place at the right time to make a play, acting like a coach in the huddle. He's a good tackler and has good hands to make the interception. He wont wow you over in workouts, but when he puts on the pads and gets down to business, Weddle will go above and beyond what you expect from him and at the end of the day leaving you surprised at the scope of his abilities. He has the athletic prowness to play CB or Safety at the next level, and with his offensive and special teams experience, he can offer some wrinkles in those areas as well. He made alot of good plays over his 4 years with the Utes, and his production plus his versatility should takehim a long way in the NFL."

Combine note:
4.48 (40), 11 reps on bench press, 33-1/2" vertical leap.

My thoughts....

The bio is good enough that I wrote way more then I intended. The kid sounds like an Urlacher type player. He's a football player. I wouldn't mind seeing him line up at safety for the Packers.

gureski
04-17-2007, 09:57 PM
Being that I live about thirty minutes from NIU, I caught plenty of their football games on Comcast. Wolfe rarely takes a direct hit. He's extremely quick, shifty, and wiry--I hardly ever saw someone lock-on Wolfe. He's fast as well. He can scoot by DBs on breakaways. A few games I saw, they would just dump the ball off to him in the flats and he would avoid a few tackles and break it for a long gain. I'm not sure about the stats, but I would expect you would find a high yards per catch average. If a DLinemen gets a hold of him, Wolfe will probably go down easily. And I would hate to see Urlacher running in his direction.

If I remember right, he had scholarships to some division one schools, but his grades were way too low, so they stripped the scholarships away. He drove over to DeKalb and got on the team. He was behind Michael Turner, then. The last two years he was tearing it up. Many big games came against some really tough opponents. I saw the game against Ohio State. I think he had +200 yards against the Buckeyes. Then he kept getting 300 yard games over and over until teams basically stacked the line and only paid attention to the run. NIU had an okay passing game, but teams realized the passing game couldn't beat them without Wolfe's help.

I really really liked Wolfe--I'm a homer, I guess. I would be ecstatic to have him on the Packers.

At least watch until he cuts through three Buckeyes for the endzone. It's crazy.

I'm sold. I'm a believer after reading about him. If Dunn was big enough to excel in the zone blocking system then why couldn't Wolfe? They're almost exactly the same size.

The Shadow
04-17-2007, 10:01 PM
I would love to see Weddle in a Packer uniform.

gureski
04-17-2007, 10:03 PM

Kiper says this about Williams:

"Still a work in progress, Williams is a guy who could fight for time as a starter if a team is patient and brings him along gradually."

Paul Williams 6'-1 & 1/2" tall, 203 lbs, 4.49 (40)

Ran 4.45 (40) at the combine, didn't lift, and had a 38-1/2" vertical.

See, I'm reading more now and I see that as a high school senior in Avenal, CA, Williams caught 954 yds receiving and scored 18 TD's while 13 passes as a DB.

He was league defensive player of the year and was a first team All-Star on defense. He also was an All-League basketball player, and an established sprinter.

Kiper has Williams going in the end of the third round with a supplemental pick that was given to S.F. (97 overall)

ND72
04-17-2007, 10:18 PM
A guy I don't think we have a chance at, but Joe Staley...I like him a lot, just curious as to what he has to say about him...(by the way, I have a Mel Kiper Draft report, but it's a "pre-combine" report) so things have changed.

b bulldog
04-17-2007, 10:20 PM
I've read that the Pats like him a lot, I was hoping he would slide to us in round two but the chances of that happening are zero.

pbmax
04-17-2007, 10:34 PM
The main reason a D1A prospect would go to a D1AA (or lower) school would be to avoid sitting out a year, wouldn't it?

ND72
04-17-2007, 10:53 PM
The main reason a D1A prospect would go to a D1AA (or lower) school would be to avoid sitting out a year, wouldn't it?

Right. I had heard that Patrick transfered to Delaware, so he didn't have to sit out a year. It had nothing to do with "getting noticed"...he wasn't happy at Duke.

Bossman641
04-18-2007, 12:07 AM
I've watched a few NIU games as well. Wolfe is extremely shifty, one of those guys who rarely takes a solid hit. While I don't think he can ever handle the load as the main back, I would love to get him in one of the later rounds.

BallHawk
04-18-2007, 06:29 AM
Gureski, thanks so much for doing these draft reports. We all really appreciate them.

gureski
04-18-2007, 08:35 AM

That's true but in the case of Patrick, he was already at a Division IA school and was getting playing time so what was his reason for transferring? He suddenly figured out, after 4 years at Duke (redshirted 2002), that he wasn't happy there? Give me a break. He just wasn't doing a damn thing with the playing time he was getting, it's not that he wasn't getting an opportunity to show his stuff.

Craig Nall went down to Division IAA to get playing time. It's clear why he did that. He wasn't going to play if he didn't go down. To me, it's clear that Patrick went down to Division IAA just to put up stats to improve his draft standing. That's cheap. Why only transfer his senior year? It all seems so manufactured.

LL2
04-18-2007, 08:36 AM

I'm sold. I'm a believer after reading about him. If Dunn was big enough to excel in the zone blocking system then why couldn't Wolfe? They're almost exactly the same size.

He could be a steal and probably available in the 4th, maybe 5th rd. He can be used as a KR also, so good option over Ginn.

gureski
04-18-2007, 08:39 AM
Though Kiper only forecasts four rounds in his guide, it's clear to see that based on the way he has the RB's ranked, he thinks Wolfe will be a 5-7th round pick.

gureski
04-18-2007, 08:40 AM
Gureski, thanks so much for doing these draft reports. We all really appreciate them.

Just glad I can help the team. cough...cough...

That and there's not much info to piss me off about Nall lately.

gureski
04-18-2007, 08:56 AM
A guy I don't think we have a chance at, but Joe Staley...I like him a lot, just curious as to what he has to say about him...(by the way, I have a Mel Kiper Draft report, but it's a "pre-combine" report) so things have changed.

Kiper's take on OT Joe Staley

6'-5 & 1/2" tall, 305 lbs, 4.83 (40)

Kiper says, "A very intriguing prospect who is definitely on the rise..."

Staley went to high school in Rockford, MI and was a TE. He caught 24 balls for 559 yds & 7 TD's his senior year. He also lettered in Track and set school records in the 200 meter run as well as the 4x100 meter relay, and the 4x200 meter relay.

Staley signed on with Central Michigan (2003) as a 215lb freshman TE. He played in 11 games catching 11 balls for 130 yds and 1 TD.

Staley was moved to Right Tackle entering his Sophomore year (2004) and started all 11 games.

In his junior year (2005) Staley was moved to Left Tackle where he registered 53 pancake blocks and helped pave the way for a 1,000 yard rusher.

This past year (2006), Staley was an All-MAC first team selection, starting 14 games and only allowing 1 sack.

More from Mel, "Over the course of his four seasons at Central Michigan, Staley added 80lbs to his frame. Remember as a former TE, he had real good foot speed and agility, and despite adding the weight to his frame, those attributes haven't sufferred. He can get downfield to the second and third level of the defense springing ball carriers and receivers for extra yards."

Mel says that Staley isn't as explosive as other top offensive tackles and that he needs to get into the weight room and get stronger. He said that a month ago he felt Staley would be a late first round pick but now that the Offensive line coaches have been brought into the draft conversations, Staley's stock is soaring. He wont make it to the late first round.

Combine notes:

Didn't run, 27 reps bench press, didn't jump

My thoughts:

Good player. Athletic and agile. Seemed to progress throughout his career. Took a step every year and got better.

Kiper has Staley going to the NY Giants with the 20th pick in the first round.

Fritz
04-18-2007, 11:23 AM
Thanks Gureski. From what you've said, it sounds like Wolfe and Hill and maybe Weddle are real gamers - football players. Henry sounds like he looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane. Patrick is also unimpressive-sounding.

gureski
04-18-2007, 12:02 PM
Thanks Gureski. From what you've said, it sounds like Wolfe and Hill and maybe Weddle are real gamers - football players. Henry sounds like he looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane. Patrick is also unimpressive-sounding.

The thing about Patrick that bothers me is that he has been hyped by Mel Kiper in chats as a sleeper type player from non-Division IA schools but I don't see the justification based on Mel's written comments in his draft guide. Now, i don't know if Mel was saying Patrick is a sleeper because Patrick is amongst the only real Division IA talent he saw hanging around Division IAA and thus is a player to mention by default but the numbers aren't there, in my eyes, to support expecting big things out of Patrick. I'd be disappointed right now if the Packers took him in the second round.

Looking closely at Patrick's track record, you'll see he played for some crappy Duke teams and led those teams in receiving but leading your team in receptions and yards doesn't necessarily mean much if your team stinks to high heaven. Michael Haddux led the Packers in rushing one year with like 350'ish yards. That didn't mean he was good.

Patrick only had 2 or 3 games over his entire college football career that really stood out. If he was really a player, wouldn't he have had more given that he was on the field for 4 years as the starter and main target in each offense?

I'm suspect. I'm not saying he wont be a servicable player, I'm saying that I don't hold hope right now that he'll turn into something special. Projecting a player based on potential is the magic of draft time. Looking at a player and thinking about what they could do and what signals they've shown in their past or with their ability that could make them into a real contributing player is what fans of the draft look at. For this fan, I no longer have a vibe for Patrick. He's with Lynch now as players I don't want but that the Packers may get.

BallHawk
04-18-2007, 12:39 PM
[quote="Fritz"]Henry sounds like he looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane.quote]

Somebody's been on nfldraftcountdown.com. :lol: :wink:

BallHawk
04-18-2007, 12:40 PM

I believe taht Ingle Martin did it for that reason. Martin was thrown out of the plans in exchange for Chris Leak. Because of that he went to Furman.

gureski
04-19-2007, 08:25 AM
Some comments on RB's...

There are several real intriguing mid to late round options at RB that are worth discussing. Let me put a disclaimer on this by saying that I have no idea if you guys have already hashed these names over. I'm merely sharing information that I read from Mel's guide regarding players who look impressive.

Random thoughts:

Antonio Pittman Ohio State

He's got a 4.40 (40) and the thing that caught my eye about him was that he played through a pulled hamstring in the Fiesta Bowl against Notre Dame!!! The kid played with a pulled hamstring and put up 136 yds and iced the game with a 60 yard run in the final two minutes!!!! That's toughness! Mel says he's a North-South runner too, despite looking the role of a East-West type back.

Other RB's I'll write about later that are impressive are A.Bradshaw of Marshall, A.Coleman of Hampton, T.Clayton of Kansas State, R.Taylor of Texas, C.Dawson of Harvard, and G.Russell formerly of Minnesota. Not time right now but those guys should be talked about. Especially Coleman and Dawson.

gureski
04-19-2007, 11:29 AM
Here is a guy that I think we should all start looking closely at:

Alonzo Coleman Hampton University
5'-10" tall, 205lbs, 4.45 (40)

Here's what Mel said about Coleman, "As a pure runner with great speed and natural athleticism, Coleman is a very intriguing I-AA prospect. He is the all-time leading rusher at Halifax Co. HS with more then 3,500 yards in his prep career, also holding the team's single game and single season rushing records. Coleman came to Hampton in 2003 and became the first freshman to rush for more then 1,000 yds." (1,137 yds & 18TD's)

Coleman had 4 games of over 140 yds in a single game (3 over 150 yds).

As a sophomore (2004) Coleman repeated as All MEAC, finishing with 1,133 yds, 13 TD's (5+ yds per carry avg) in 12 games. He also grabbed 11 balls out of the backfield for 98 yds and 2 scores. Coleman had seven 100 yard rushing games in 2004.

In 2005, Coleman "elevated" his game adding MEAC Offensive Player of the Year honors to his resume. He had 204 rushes, 1,326 yds, (6.5 yds per carry avg), and 19TD's. He had eight 100 yard rushing games, including 6 in a row at one point.

This past year, 2006, Coleman increased his yards per carry to 6.7 ypc. In 11 games, Coleman pushed out 1,052 yds and 12 TD's. He had four 100 yd games that year.

Per Mel, "...has good functional strength and a low center of gravity, which he uses effectively to make defenders miss in the hole. ...good quick burst, and once in the clear, he can hit the home run. ...good feet and excellent balance which helps him get into the second and third level of the defense, and when he doesn, he's off to the reaces with his great straight line speed. ...developed into a better receiver as his career progressed... ...blocking is going to have to improve... ...As a runner, however, Coleman has a lot of skills and with his terrific speed, he's turning heads as an interesting prospect coming out of the I-AA ranks."

Combine:
4.49 (40), 27 reps bench press, didn't jump

My thoughts as I read this:

The kid has home run potential when he touches the ball. Several long runs are mentioned to go along with a healthy per carry average. Good speed.

Solid overall history going back to high school. The kid is a gamer.

Unreal on the bench press!!! Highest number from a back I've seen yet! There are offensive linemen that didn't get 27 reps on the bench! Our own Joe Thomas of Wisconsin only nailed 28!!! This kid pumped the bar 27 times and he's a HB!!! He's obviously got the potential to be a good blocker with that kind of strength which was one of the issues mel said was a weak point in his game.

He's going to be a late round pick. I'd guess sometime in or after the 5th round based on the projections.

I'm sold. I'd love to see this kid in the Green and Gold.

Fritz
04-19-2007, 12:15 PM
I'd love to see them draft the Harvard kid so he could hobnob with...with...hey, the Packers don't seem to have any dumb guys on the team for me to make a joke about!

Hey, you ever wonder if KGB and Poppinga argue about religion?

gureski
04-19-2007, 08:56 PM
Maybe I missed something but I thought KGB converted to christianity a few years back? I recall stories about his faith and conversion and such. I can't imagine Poppinga isn't Christian.

b bulldog
04-19-2007, 08:58 PM
Isn't Poppy a mormon?? Mormons are not Christain right??

MJZiggy
04-19-2007, 09:33 PM
Depends on who you ask.

HarveyWallbangers
04-19-2007, 09:46 PM
Mormons are Christians in a sense. They believe in Jesus of Nazareth as the Son of God.

KGB is Christian.

b bulldog
04-19-2007, 10:04 PM
Do they believe salvation is through Jesus Christ and that he is the triune God? if not, they are not Christain!

Fritz
04-20-2007, 08:25 AM
I have a friend who teaches a "Religions of the World" class and he insists that Mormons are not Christians.

MJZiggy
04-20-2007, 08:29 AM
Well, the Mormons think they are, but I believe the Pope would disagree...

gureski
04-20-2007, 08:31 AM
FB's

I read over the FB's this morning and although Kiper only covers 6 guys in detail, it's clear that there is one stud prospect and some guys that will be able to turn into solid NFL players.

Brian Leonard, Rutgers
6'-1&1/2", 235lbs, 4.55 (40)

I'm pretty sure this guy has been talked about so I wont spend too much time on him.

The impressive thing about Leonard, to me, is the pass catching ability that goes along with the rest of his traditional FB skills. The kid has a nose for the endzone and he racked up receptions like crazy!

In high school, Leonard set a NY state scoring record with 107 TD's. He was a two-time All-State player and an All-American as a Senior. He also was an All-League pick in Basketball and a sprinter for the track team.

Leonard's rushing and TD totals speak for themselves and seem Alstott'ish BUT the real eye opener for me was his reception totals:

2002 Red-Shirted
2003 Big East Freshman of the Year, 1,368 all purpose yds, 14 TD's, 53 receptions for 488 yds receiving!!!!! Went over the 100 yds total offense mark 8 times in 2003.
2004 In 10 games (missed 1 due to injury), First Team All-Big East, 732 yds rush, 7 TD, 61 receptions, 518 yds receiving (led the nation in receptions by a RB),
2005 Repeated as First Team All-Big East, 740 yds rush, 11 TD's, 55 receptions, 568 yds receiving, 6 TD's (17 total TD's)
2006 With the emergence of another weapon out of the backfield, Leonard's work load was lightened and he blocked more from the FB position. 423 yds rushing, 5 TD's, 38 receptions, 294 yds receiving. All-American honors, Draddy Trophy Winner,

Finished his collegiate career as the School and Big East Conference all-time leader in receptions (207) and consecutive games with a reception (47)

Kiper says, "Leonard isn't going to be a great lead blocker as a FB, a la Lorenzo Neal in S.D., but he's solid and solid, and showed some good skills in that area down in Mobile. His greatest strength is his natural athleticism. Leonard has a great vertical jump.... known as the 'Leonard Leap', jumping over defenders in highlight reel-type plays. With his hands and running ability, he offers a lot of versatility. Leonard could be a Frank Wycheck type H-Back in the NFL., or a true FB, and even a situational tailback."

Combine Notes:
4.52 (40) 28 reps on the bench press, 34 1/2" vertical leap

Thoughts as I read his bio:

The receptions stand out. That's unreal. And people are praising Lynch for his receiving ability....Lynch's had one season with 30 something receptions. This guy's low was better then Lynch's best!

I think this kid could be a great goal line back. He's got the pedigree going back to High School. It's not like there aren't a lot of people in NY or anything...right? To set the TD record in NY means you did something special.

I could see this guy in the backfield with Morency being the MEAT to a meat and potato's running game.

I also wonder if he couldn't be moved to TE and turn into a Pro-Bowl type TE? He's got the hands. He's athletic enough. I wonder.

Mel has Leonard going to the NY Giants in the second round, 51st overall pick and just 4 picks after the Packers select in the 2nd round.

LaRon McClain Alabama
6' 1/4" tall, 255lbs, 4.85 (40)

McClain doesn't have the eye-popping stats that a Leonard does but he's labeled by Kiper as, "..a hard nosed and very under-rated football player."

Kiper also says, "McClain doesn everything you ask of a traditional fullback; he blocks very effectively, catches the ball out of the backfield, and can occassionally run the ball up the gut."

Combine notes:
4.90 (40), 14 reps bench press, 29 1/2" vertical leap.

Thoughts as I read the bio:

Just a solid FB candidate. Nothing flashy. Mel seems sure the kid will make it in the NFL.

Deon Anderson, Connecticut
5'-10 1/2" tall, 246 lbs, 4.72 (40)

Kiper says Anderson missed the 2005 seson for 'personal' reasons but never really expands on that.

Mel says Anderson is, "...one heck of a lead blocker in the Big East and does an excellent job on special teams."

Anderson went to high school in Rhode Island and aside from earning All-Conference honors in football, he was an All-American Wrestler, and finished 4th in New England in the Shot Put (track).

Mel talks a lot about Anderson's ability and willingness to contribute on special teams.

Mel says, "Anderson doesn't just bring excellent athleticisim to the table; he brings leadership. As a wedge buster on kickoff coverage, he throws his body arond and makes plays and as a FB, is an exxcellent lead blocker."

Combine Notes: 4.73 (40), 23 reps bench press, 33" vertical leap.

Misc Thoughts as I read the bio:

The comments about the major contributions on special teams and strong leadership sparks comparisons to William Henderson. Not by Mel, but by me as those are things Henderson specialized in.

Sounds like a Packer kind of guy, more importantly, a Thompson kind of guy.

Cory Anderson, Tennessee
6'-2 1/4" tall, 250 lbs, 4.72 (40)

Per Kiper, "A true FB with great athleticisim for the position, Anderson has to get better as a blocker as that will be his main focus at the pro level. He didn't play a full season in football til he was a junior in high school, focusing instead on his basketball career."

Anderson red-shirted in 2002 and then played 2003 as a back up DE. He got into 6 games that year and didn't do much. In 2004 he was moved to FB and started 12 of 13 games.

Per Mel, "While he was good, Anderson never took his game to an elite level. However, with his physical skills, people will be intrigued and perhaps take a flyer on him in the mid to late day two range."

Combine notes:
4.70 (40), 19 reps bench press, 37" vertical leap.

My thoughts:

He's only played 5 years of football!! He's probably a guy who could still get better as he continues to learn the position and acclimate himself to the position at higher levels. He's got the athleticism to do the job. Kind of a project, I guess.

Jason Snelling, Virginia
5'-11" tall, 233 lbs, 4.75 (40)

The kid has great stats but he played HB in 2006 so it's kind of skewed. He nearly doubled his number of career rushes in 2006 so that's why his stats in 2006, though impressive, shouldn't be too big of a factor in evaluating him as a FB. It just shows he has the ability. Mell calls him, "...a tailback in a fullback's body."

High School stats worthy of mention (from Virginia): 3,300 yds rushing in his H.S. career, 1,444 rushing & 14 TD's as a senior. All-Virginia honors for his Senior year. Also played 4 years as the center fielder for the baseball team.

Combine Notes: 4.79 (40), didn't lift, 30" vertical leap.

My thoughts:

I think his offensive stats make him look better then he is. As a FB, he will need to do FB things first. That or he will have to be so great on offense, a al Leonard, that you can live with any lack of true FB skills because he m akes up for it on offense. I don't get the feel that this kid's offense is so overwhelming good that he can get by the way an Alstott or Leonard can/will. I'd rather see some other team take the flyer on this kid.

Stan White, Ohio State
6'-1" tall, 250 lbs, 4.72 (40)

Per Kiper, "A hard working, super smart, and extremely versatile performer, White has the ability to play multiple positions and should pay dividends on special teams as well."

Went to high school in Baltimore and was an All-State LB. Came to Ohio State as a LB in the same class as A.J. Hawk and Bobby Carpenter but was moved to TE during his red-shirted season of 2002.

White became the Buckeyes starting FB in 2005 and was the starter in 2006.

Whtie is the son of former NFL LB Stan White.

Kiper says, "...works very hard as a blocker... good hands for the reception... ...plays a very determined brand of football... could be a true FB in the NFL or perhaps see time as a MOVE TE or an H-Back..."

Mel thinks he will be a late round pick or a priority undrafted free agent.

My comments after reading the bio:

This kid could be a dark horse in the Packers FB search. Son of a former player and a guy who is connected to A.J. Hawk via being in the same class at Ohio State. I'm sure Hawk will be able to fill management in on White, if they ask him. Potential to play special teams and possibly even grow into the TE position. Interesting guy that would be nice as a late round pick or a undrafted FA signing.

gureski
04-20-2007, 08:37 AM
You'd think Poppinga would be able to roam better in coverage if he's a Mormon. They cover alot of ground.

ba dump bump....

Thank you...thank you...

Maybe Thompson should get a Jahova's Witness to be our coverage LB. Now there's a religion that covers alot of area!

ba dump bump....CLANG....

Guiness
04-20-2007, 09:17 AM
Well, the Mormons think they are, but I believe the Pope would disagree...

Holy Theology Batman!

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Seems Christian to me, but what do I know? I'm barely through my satori.

HarveyWallbangers
04-20-2007, 09:28 AM
I also wonder if he couldn't be moved to TE and turn into a Pro-Bowl type TE? He's got the hands. He's athletic enough. I wonder.

Probably too short to be a stud TE. He ran his 40 in the low 4.5s--while the best these other FBs ran is the low 4.7s. People can't think of him as just a FB. He's a guy that can play FB. He's a guy that can be a situational HB (3rd down and goalline). He's a guy you can spread out wide. He's a guy that should give you good special teams play also.

Spaulding
04-20-2007, 12:21 PM
Gureski, anything on Jacoby Jones out of Lane college?

Some rumors suggestion another late round gem like Coleston. Just curious to know what the hair had to say about him in his report.

Thanks much