PDA

View Full Version : Wow, I must be getting old!

Patler
04-17-2007, 12:51 AM
I saw that Will Shields retired. My initial reaction was, "Why? He hasn't been around that long, I remember when he came into the league."

Then I read that he has played 14 seasons!

MadtownPacker
04-17-2007, 03:27 AM
You are old.

Rastak
04-17-2007, 06:42 AM
I saw that Will Shields retired. My initial reaction was, "Why? He hasn't been around that long, I remember when he came into the league."

Yea, sucks getting old. It's like people talking about Barry Bonds but I recall watching Bobby Bonds, his dad. Now Barry is old......ayi yi yi.

Full of roids too but that's a different story.

Kiwon
04-17-2007, 06:56 AM
Buck up, men! Remember the positive thinking creedo: "Every day and in every way I'm getting better and better." :)

Nay, I don't buy it either. :wink:

K-town
04-17-2007, 07:57 AM
I'm not getting older. I'm getting slower. Like, glacier slow.

woodbuck27
04-17-2007, 01:24 PM
The word old is an adjective I apply to things like:

wine, cheese, jokes and storys, axes and other tools, cabins etc. and not people,dogs or cats (pets). :)

oregonpackfan
04-17-2007, 04:36 PM
Patler,

Remember the infamous comment by Grocho Marx about feeling old, "A man is as old as the woman he feels..."

Now get out there and feel young! :)

VermontPackFan
04-17-2007, 07:18 PM
Patler,

Remember the infamous comment by Grocho Marx about feeling old, "A man is as old as the woman he feels..."

Now get out there and feel young! :)

No wonder I always thought Groucho was a genius! Thats funny...
Time flys doesnt it?

Patler
04-17-2007, 09:05 PM

Yea, sucks getting old. It's like people talking about Barry Bonds but I recall watching Bobby Bonds, his dad. Now Barry is old......ayi yi yi.

Yup, I remember when Bobby Bonds came up as a rookie very well, and played alongside Willie Mays. I was a huge SF Giant fan in the '60s and '70s.

Rastak
04-18-2007, 04:50 AM

Yup, I remember when Bobby Bonds came up as a rookie very well, and played alongside Willie Mays. I was a huge SF Giant fan in the '60s and '70s.

You might have a couple years on me since I recall Bobby Bonds in the very early 70's. Giants had some awesome teams in the 60's but the guys were getting old when the decade changed. Mays, Bonds, McCovey, Marishall.....wow.

Patler
04-18-2007, 07:22 AM
You might have a couple years on me since I recall Bobby Bonds in the very early 70's. Giants had some awesome teams in the 60's but the guys were getting old when the decade changed. Mays, Bonds, McCovey, Marishall.....wow.

The Giants brought a lot of outstanding players up, many who didn't stay with them a long time. Orlando Cepeda broke into the majors with the Giants (Mays, McCovey, Cepeda made a pretty good #3, 4, 5 lineup!) All three of the Alou brothers, Felipe, Manny and Jesus. Jim Ray Hart, who was a great hitter for a short time came up with them too, as well as Gaylord Perry and Juan Marichal on the mound. They always seemed to find a good hitting catcher, Tom Haller for a number of years; and they picked up decent veterans via trades, like Harvey Kuehn. Very good teams, but had trouble getting past the Dodgers in the '60s with Drysdale and Koufax.

KYPack
04-18-2007, 07:46 AM
Bobby liked to hit the sauce hard. He coulda been an even greater player if he'd have slowed down a little.

Usually a topflight outfielder, the juice made him play erratically. Once he made a play on a long fly and inadvertently knocked the ball over the wall for a homer for the other team. The opposing manager said "He'd a had it if it was a scotch and soda"!

Kiwon
04-18-2007, 07:56 AM
I must be getting old too. What were we talking about?

gbgary
04-18-2007, 11:17 AM
getting older isn't so bad. kids are out and all on their own now so we've down-sized house wise, it's a lot quieter in the house now, and there's more disposable income....so i bought myself a new '07 vette.

Fritz
04-18-2007, 11:25 AM
Well, I'm not quite there yet...but my youngest is 14 and so I just spent $700 on a new Kona Dew fs hybrid bike - for myself, of all people. It's great. There has to be some compensation for the gray in my hair.