PDA

View Full Version : Hawk will be a Packer

b bulldog
04-27-2006, 09:52 PM
Looks like it will come down to Hawk or Davis and it seems that Hawk is the name most linked to GB. On ESPN radio they discussed which player will have yther greatest shot at making it to Hawaii first. They picked Hawk as their second best player and said his instincts and leadership qualities will be assets to which ever team he lands on. They al;so said that Greenway and Davis are really moving up the draft boards. they picked my man Mario as the player who they think could go to the probowl as a R. They said that they he will get at least 10 sacks next season. Oh well, Now that he will go 2, it looks like I need to become a Hawk fan. :cry:

MJZiggy
04-27-2006, 09:57 PM
I don't trust anything with the letters ESPNothing attached to them today.

RashanGary
04-27-2006, 09:57 PM
I think it's going to be Hawk too.....He's a great player and it just so happens that he is a great need too. If Thompson picks Hawk I will be incredibly happy.

1st it means that Thompson considers him the best player.
2nd he's the biggest need on the team.

When those two things come together with at top 5 pick you can't help but be pretty damn excited.

b bulldog
04-27-2006, 09:58 PM
Rumor has it that Walker is the one who started this all.

RashanGary
04-27-2006, 09:59 PM
Rumor has it that Walker is the one who started this all.

Started what???The Driver thing?

b bulldog
04-27-2006, 10:00 PM
YES

RashanGary
04-27-2006, 10:01 PM
I got that feeling as soon as I heard it.

Partial
04-27-2006, 10:02 PM
I think it's going to be Hawk too.....He's a great player and it just so happens that he is a great need too. If Thompson picks Hawk I will be incredibly happy.

1st it means that Thompson considers him the best player.
2nd he's the biggest need on the team.

When those two things come together with at top 5 pick you can't help but be pretty damn excited.

What happened to VD?

b bulldog
04-27-2006, 10:04 PM
bEST AVAILABLE PLAYER,

RashanGary
04-27-2006, 10:11 PM
I was stating that Davis is unquestionable the most physically gifted TE to ever enter the NFL.

I did at one point say he'd kick Hawks ass but shortly after stated that it was more or less battle tactic designed to lessen the other player being talked about so I could further hype the guy I was talking about at the moment.

My main philosophy is that I don't truely KNOW who is better and that Davis is a legit consideration. When I came up with Davis being an incredible athelte I was immediately bombarded with posters saying he was an average player similar to Pope and Lewis which he IMO clearly is not.

More than anything I was defensive and also a little annoyed at how ignorantly sure some people can be about their opinions.

But if you've conversated about this from the beginning like I have with bulldog and others you'd know that I have a very high opinion of Hawk and I have been very impressed with how he plays the game. I acctually did watch a few games and have his bowl game recorded of wich I've watched half a dozen times and still conclude he might be the best LB I've watched. I think he's a playmaker from day one. I also believe we have to look at the other players because they are incredible too. I grow tired of hearing people tear anybody who is not Hawk.

b bulldog
04-27-2006, 10:14 PM
aS MUCH AS i would like to see Mario go at 5, I like the leadership qualities and instincts that Hawk possesses.

RashanGary
04-27-2006, 10:15 PM
bEST AVAILABLE PLAYER,

More than anything I hope for this. I think Hawk has a chance at being that guy but I don't know. Half of my arguements against Hawk are to level the expectations and open peoples minds to other players. None of us truely know but the Hawk supporter seem to KNOW without a doubt who has to be picked.

Deputy Nutz
04-27-2006, 10:18 PM
Nick I am not going to mince words with you, but it seemed that you were trying to be a devil's advocate.

First it was Davis, or was it Williams? Then you started in a little bit on Ferguson. The fact is the only way Thompson could really screw the dog behind the sofa, is if he took Vince Young. I don't think fans of the Green Bay Packers could handle that shit.

I put my faith in Hawk, mostly because he is the most complete player available at #5. He needs to improve on little to be considered an impact starter for this team. Well the rest is Bla bla bla bla......

Bretsky
04-27-2006, 10:18 PM
The Green Bay Packers will not take AJ Hawk. Simple reason. I want them to.

They haven't taken a guy I waned them to since 1993, when they selected a mean and nasty MLB that I personlly really liked as a football player.

Will the 12 year streak of tradition continue, or will history be repeated ?

I've watched every NFL draft day one since high school; my bet is they don't draft AJ Hawk because it's my annual torture to wait that grinding 15 minutes and then be let down.

Cheers,
B

RashanGary
04-27-2006, 10:20 PM
Right on Nutz......

I think next year I'm going to make a strong effort not to do that because all I've done is argue all damn day and swim an uphill battle that could never be won.

ND72
04-27-2006, 10:21 PM
The Green Bay Packers will not take AJ Hawk. Simple reason. I want them to.

They haven't taken a guy I waned them to since 1993, when they selected a mean and nasty MLB that I personlly really liked as a football player.

Will the 12 year streak of tradition continue, or will history be repeated ?

I've watched every NFL draft day one since high school; my bet is they don't draft AJ Hawk because it's my annual torture to wait that grinding 15 minutes and then be let down.

Cheers,
B

this is EXACTLY what my buddy and i said today. the first guy i can legitly want, and they won't take them.

RashanGary
04-27-2006, 10:21 PM
LMFAO Bretsy.....

Wist is rubbing off on you.

ND72
04-27-2006, 10:23 PM
by the way....LEGITLY? what the hell is that? glad i'm a teacher.

GrnBay007
04-27-2006, 10:23 PM
ok guys, from all your draft experience.....approximately what time will the Packers be on board first Sat?

ND72
04-27-2006, 10:24 PM
I'd guess noon they are on, 12:15 they are done. all those teams, even if they know, take those entire 15 minutes.

Bretsky
04-27-2006, 10:26 PM
ok guys, from all your draft experience.....approximately what time will the Packers be on board first Sat?

I'd definitely be tuned in by 11:45 to be safe; the first pick might be fast if Texas already has Bush signed. But most likely GB will be on the board around 11:55- Noon.

BF4MVP
04-27-2006, 10:47 PM

The man, the myth, the legend himself...Wayne Simmons.

R.I.P.

ND72
04-27-2006, 10:50 PM
*note silence* :sad:

Harlan Huckleby
04-27-2006, 10:51 PM
I watched Hawk play another game today on ESPN-classic, the Texas-Ohio State game from last fall.

He;s damn quick. I've never seen him in pass coverage, tho. Carpenter looks almost as good, a bit more of a bruiser.

Nobody could be dissappointed with having Hawk on their team.

Bretsky
04-27-2006, 10:55 PM
I watched Hawk play another game today on ESPN-classic, the Texas-Ohio State game from last fall.

He;s damn quick. I've never seen him in pass coverage, tho. Carpenter looks almost as good, a bit more of a bruiser.

Nobody could be dissappointed with having Hawk on their team.

He's been impressive in Big Games; thought he played great against that crappy Notre Dame Team j/k ND

No Mo Moss
04-27-2006, 11:19 PM
I caught the game also and I think there is a very real chance that both AJ Hawk and Bobby Carpenter will be Packers. I'd be all for it.

Deputy Nutz
04-27-2006, 11:33 PM
Two holes at linebacker, two great players to fill those holes.

I actually would like to get Hali if he is available in the second. Then take a hard look at an interior linemen in the third.

Bretsky
04-27-2006, 11:36 PM
I caught the game also and I think there is a very real chance that both AJ Hawk and Bobby Carpenter will be Packers. I'd be all for it.

Hali, Carpenter (although I doubt he falls), D'Quell Jackson, Abdul Hodge, Joseph....................all guys that could really be players in round 2. If there is a year to trade Javon Whiner for a second, this is the year.

Deputy Nutz
04-27-2006, 11:46 PM
I want to get a Hawk Jeresy, what number do you think that he is going to wear? #57?

This is a really deep draft. But it is also a really lopsided draft with the offense being weaker in terms of prospects than the defensive prospect. There is a lot of depth at Cornerback, Safety, Tight End, Outside Linebacker.

ND72
04-27-2006, 11:50 PM
#57 was my guess. Trust me, I'm all set to buy a Woodson and a Hawk jersey....thompson better not let me down now.

Anti-Polar Bear
04-27-2006, 11:51 PM
I want to get a Hawk Jeresy, what number do you think that he is going to wear? #57?

57 looks gay.

54, 56, or 58 is better.

Still, it is not Hawk thats going to be in green and gold, but Huff.

Huff #34

ND72
04-27-2006, 11:52 PM
Patrick Dendy is #34

Anti-Polar Bear
04-27-2006, 11:54 PM
Patrick Dendy is #34

he'll swtich numbers. If Huff is drafted at #5, he'll get a big enough signin bonus to buy the number is he wants it; or just wait til Dendy gets cut.

Alternatively, 37 would suit Huff just fine too.

Deputy Nutz
04-27-2006, 11:55 PM
What would be bad ass if he was given #66. Just like Ray.

ND72
04-27-2006, 11:55 PM
he won't be drafted #5, so we won't have to deal with that.

BF4MVP
04-27-2006, 11:58 PM
What would be bad ass if he was given #66. Just like Ray.
Too bad it's retired..haha..

Anti-Polar Bear
04-27-2006, 11:58 PM
he won't be drafted #5, so we won't have to deal with that.

We will see about that.

Deputy Nutz
04-28-2006, 12:00 AM
Whats with the Ha Ha??? You getting lippy around here? The would unretire the number out of respect to Hawk.

OS PA
04-28-2006, 01:56 AM
http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/7663/hawk2qk.jpg

I wish I had better Photoshop skills! =)-

Doesn't he look like a flashback to the Nitschke era?

The hard hitting, blue collar. lead by example as well as be vocal in the locker room, loyal to your team and fans type of player that is not afraid to get his uniform dirty.

I'm beginning to like Hawk more than Mario Williams.

Tarlam!
04-28-2006, 04:26 AM
I love his broken nose!

Here's hoping whatever number A.J. takes will be retired when the time comes....

EDIT: PS Garret Cross currently has 47. I say, cut the stinking bum for a week, then, re-sign the potential TE talent!

packrulz
04-28-2006, 04:58 AM
I think Hawk would be a great pick but I don't think he's a lock at #5. I won't be suprised if one or 2 QB's get drafted in the top 4 picks, alot of teams need a QB pretty bad. Someone could trade with the Saints to grab Leinert, & I could see the Titans taking Vince Young. If that happens the Jets need a stud LT like D'Brick, so It's possible Mario will still be there at #5. It all depends how high the QB's are drafted, most scouts consider the top 3 to be better than last years QB's.

Fritz
04-28-2006, 05:42 AM
I have to say it: if the Packers take Hawk at #5 I will be slightly disappointed. I still believe that if they can finagle a trade with Oakland or Buffalo (and pick up an extra pick) that Hawk will still be there. On top of that, there seem to me to be several good linebackers in this draft - guys worthy of first or second round selection like Greenway, Sims, Carpenter, and Hodge.

I'd be more excited if the Packers took Davis or Vince Young. My fantasy would be to have Mario Williams sitting there at #5, but that ain't gonna happen.

Before you all start calling me anti-Hawk, let me say this: I think AJ Hawk will be a very, very solid professional linebacker. I think he will be a fine NFL linebacker. I just think that guys like Davis and Young have far more upside - superstar potential. And at #5 one ought to take that kind of guy, roll the dice, if the chance presents itself.

Tarlam!
04-28-2006, 05:53 AM
I will be devastated if we pick a QB first round. I think A-Rod will be fine with 2 more years of holding a clippy.

I think Hawk will be D Rook of the year. I think Mario will take 3 years to really fully make the muster of an elite player.

I think VD is a pretty dumb kid after listening to his interview. They said Collins was dumb last year, but when he interviewed, he was sharp witted, just no one could understand his jargon!

I don't want Davies, because as lots of üpeople have pointed out, Davies was a no one until the combine.

No matter who they pick, that player will get my undivided loyalty as soon as he pulls on the G&G. That's how I'm built, but, prior to the draft, I can harbor my little dream scenarios...

Fritz
04-28-2006, 06:24 AM
I'll say this, Tarlam: I agree that it's a little bit scary to start harping on a guy who "measures" well but has not had a star-studded college career. I'm with you on that. But I see no reason not to take Vince Young if he's sitting there at #5. Give him a year behind Favre (or two if Favre plays two), and at the end of it you've got two high caliber QB's. And teams will always trade for a QB.

Look at Culpepper vs. Javon Walker. Culpepper's injury sounds - to me, at least - worse than Walker's, yet Miami happily gave up a #1 for him. Yet all we hear so far is that Denver has offered a second-day pick and a former first round bust for Walker. QB's have more value. And I do think Young can be a superstar in this league.

Bretsky
04-28-2006, 07:16 AM
I have to say it: if the Packers take Hawk at #5 I will be slightly disappointed. I still believe that if they can finagle a trade with Oakland or Buffalo (and pick up an extra pick) that Hawk will still be there. On top of that, there seem to me to be several good linebackers in this draft - guys worthy of first or second round selection like Greenway, Sims, Carpenter, and Hodge.

I'd be more excited if the Packers took Davis or Vince Young. My fantasy would be to have Mario Williams sitting there at #5, but that ain't gonna happen.

Before you all start calling me anti-Hawk, let me say this: I think AJ Hawk will be a very, very solid professional linebacker. I think he will be a fine NFL linebacker. I just think that guys like Davis and Young have far more upside - superstar potential. And at #5 one ought to take that kind of guy, roll the dice, if the chance presents itself.

San Fran is praying for your situation so they can grab Hawk IMO. As I stated, the only sure thing about the draft is GB will not choose who I'm pounding the table for so AJ Hawk will not be a Packer.

BF4MVP
04-28-2006, 08:37 AM
Whats with the Ha Ha??? You getting lippy around here? The would unretire the number out of respect to Hawk.
Because you already knew that..So it was funny that you even mentioned that..So I laughed..

If I didn't put the "ha ha" there I was afraid you woulda been like, "I ALREADY KNEW THAT, DUMBASS! GET OFF MY BACK!"

Looks like I struck a nerve anyway..Sorry..

Tarlam!
04-28-2006, 08:49 AM
Why are you Virgin Rat? Because you "know" so many, in the Biblical sense??

Guiness
04-28-2006, 09:12 AM
With Hawk's status rising, if you really want him, I'd be scared to trade with Oakland at this point, because I wouldn't trust SF not to take him!

I know everyone expect them to grab VD to get Smith a weapon, etc, but if Hawk was there, I wouldn't be too sure they don't take him.

NC - I hear ya wrt to talking up other prospects. I've done a bit of that too, mainly because I think it's foolish to get stuck on one name, and go for it at all costs. That's was the problem with Sherman - he fell in love with guys.

If for some reason NO does take AJ, and the Jets Williams, then we should be content with Davis if that's what TT does. Or even if AJ is on the board, but TT and his scouts have decided VD is the guy, then fine.

Tarlam!
04-28-2006, 09:52 AM
(...)because I wouldn't trust SF not to take him!

I know everyone expect them to grab VD to get Smith a weapon, etc, but if Hawk was there, I wouldn't be too sure they don't take him.

Well, let's say it goes like this:

Bush
Brick
Mario
Linny

Then, ya gotta trade with Oakland. Ya just gotta. If Hawk is gone before this, then, ya really gotta trade with Oakland.

But, if the wildest possible scenario actually occured:

Bush
Brick
Linny
Cutler

Then, ya gotta take Mario, cause he only comes around once in a decade.

In fact, call me absolutely crazy, but I would give our first and second and 5th pick next year to N.O. for Mario. Then trade with Oakland and trust 49ers take VD 6th...

I think Mario and Hawk are THAT necessary...[/b]

billy_oliver880
04-28-2006, 10:39 AM
In fact, call me absolutely crazy, but I would give our first and second and 5th pick next year to N.O. for Mario. Then trade with Oakland and trust 49ers take VD 6th...

You been hanging with Tank lately? :shock:

Tarlam!
04-28-2006, 10:50 AM

This, indeed, is the equivalent of calling me crazy, yes...

OS PA
04-28-2006, 10:57 AM
(...)because I wouldn't trust SF not to take him!

Well, let's say it goes like this:

Bush
Brick
Mario
Linny

Then, ya gotta trade with Oakland. Ya just gotta. If Hawk is gone before this, then, ya really gotta trade with Oakland.

But, if the wildest possible scenario actually occured:

Bush
Brick
Linny
Cutler

Then, ya gotta take Mario, cause he only comes around once in a decade.

I think Mario and Hawk are THAT necessary...[/b]

Wildest Scenario to occur would be

Mario
Dbrick
Young
Bush or Leinart

Texans can't sign Bush before draft
Saints already have alot of money tied up in a solid RB and need a line
Titans need a quarterback because they didn't address it this offseason, although they would love Bush.
Jets always seem to take the wrong guy and may end up taking Leinart over Bush.
Packers are set either way, Bush or Hawk.

I don't believe this could happen in a million years, but it is not an impossible scenario.

Guiness
04-28-2006, 11:05 AM
Wildest Scenario to occur would be

Mario
Dbrick
Young
Bush or Leinart

Texans can't sign Bush before draft
Saints already have alot of money tied up in a solid RB and need a line
Titans need a quarterback because they didn't address it this offseason, although they would love Bush.
Jets always seem to take the wrong guy and may end up taking Leinart over Bush.
Packers are set either way, Bush or Hawk.

I don't believe this could happen in a million years, but it is not an impossible scenario.

Ok, that's way out. But could you imagine anyone covering the draft going nuts if this happened??? It would be insane!

Deputy Nutz
04-28-2006, 11:22 AM
[Because you already knew that..So it was funny that you even mentioned that..So I laughed..

If I didn't put the "ha ha" there I was afraid you woulda been like, "I ALREADY KNEW THAT, DUMBASS! GET OFF MY BACK!"

Looks like I struck a nerve anyway..Sorry..

I was mostly joking, but with someone with such a low post count talking to a superior member of this forum, one needs to be put back into place.

See that was a joke. Ha Ha...

I have to say sorry that I didn't use a smiley face to show my intention of humor.

Tarlam!
04-28-2006, 11:22 AM
O.K. Johnnie is asking recent posters if he should know you??

billy_oliver880
04-28-2006, 11:54 AM

This, indeed, is the equivalent of calling me crazy, yes...

I guess I don't see trading away a TON of picks for 2 players. What if they bust...then we are really up sh!t creek without a paddle. More picks = better chance of contributors.

Merlin
04-28-2006, 12:21 PM
Although I think we should take Davis, if not Davis then it wouldn't surprise me if we took one of the QB's. Rumors are that GB doesn't think that much of Rogers at this point. Bringing in some competition with a year behind Favre is a good thing IMO. I just don't like Hawk all that much in the first round. This draft is deep at LB, I think we can get a safer pick in the second or third round for an LB. Anyone who drafts an offensive tackle in the first round is nuts...

packrulz
04-28-2006, 03:59 PM
Looking back at the championship game Young was scary good, he made good decisions in spite of his Wonderlic score. Marino did alright with a poor Wonderlic score. My point is Favre will retire soon, A-Rod is a definite maybe, but TT will have to draft a QB this year or next, & I don't think Young would be a bad pick. They could draft one later like Nall, Hasselback, Brunnell but Young will be better than them. I'm not saying draft him but TT will probably consider it, & if both him & A-Rod are good the Pack will be alright when Brett retires. I'm not saying draft him but I think he's a top QB you don't often see IMHO.

Scott Campbell
04-28-2006, 04:01 PM
I don't want Young. By the time he gets the pro passing game figured out, he'll be slowed by age.

packrulz
04-28-2006, 04:23 PM
I don't think it will take that long. He will have to learn to take the snap from center & do 3 & 5 step drops, but he can learn that his rookie year in practice. I'm not worried about his throwing motion because he's tall & mobile enough to limit passes getting batted down. Plus, he has a good arm & throws accurately. Next year the best QB may be Brady Quinn? I think Young will be better. If it comes down to Young or Hawk, TT might take Young. He's a pretty damn good QB & if you want the best athlete availiable there's a lot of upside with him.