PDA

View Full Version : WR Robinson serving probation violation sentence in Brown Co

AtlPackFan
04-17-2007, 03:04 PM
My apologies if someone else already posted this...

Press-Gazette

Green Bay Packers wide receiver Koren Robinson has started serving a sentence of approximately 45 days in Brown County for a probation violation in Minnesota, the Brown County Sheriff’s Department announced today.

On Monday, the Brown County Jail accepted a custody transfer for Robinson, who “went through the identical process as any other individual being incarcerated at the jail,” according to a press release from the Sheriff’s Department.

Robinson, 27, was screened and declared a minimum-security risk eligible for electronic monitoring. He will serve his sentence as an assistant to Dr. Patrick McKenzie, the Packers’ team physician, and Bellin Health Care.

The probation stems from a drunken-driving conviction in Washington state in 2005. His arrest last August in Minnesota on drunken-driving and escape charges violated that probation and led to a 90-day jail sentence he started serving in February.

Robinson also is serving a year’s suspension from the NFL for violations of its substance-abuse program. He can’t be reinstated before Sept. 18.

MJZiggy
04-17-2007, 03:36 PM
I don't get how he serves this sentence if he's not allowed contact from anyone on the team. :?:

Rastak
04-17-2007, 03:37 PM
I don't get how he serves this sentence if he's not allowed contact from anyone on the team. :?:

Is there lots of team employees in Brown Co jail?

oregonpackfan
04-17-2007, 04:33 PM

Funny you should ask, Rastak. There are probably plenty of Vikings employees in the Hennepin Co. Jail! :)

Rastak
04-17-2007, 05:23 PM

Funny you should ask, Rastak. There are probably plenty of Vikings employees in the Hennepin Co. Jail! :)

Right now none actually.......just trying to figure out ziggy's point..... :)

packrulz
04-17-2007, 05:40 PM
Robinson, 27, was screened and declared a minimum-security risk eligible for electronic monitoring. He will serve his sentence as an assistant to Dr. Patrick McKenzie, the Packers’ team physician, and Bellin Health Care.

Rastak
04-17-2007, 05:46 PM

Ah, NOW it makes sense............that is kinda strange.....

Jimx29
04-17-2007, 08:02 PM
I don't get how they can call him "Green Bay Packer Receiver" when he's banned from football :?:

Rastak
04-18-2007, 04:52 AM
I don't get how they can call him "Green Bay Packer Receiver" when he's banned from football :?:

Thing I'm wondering is, he got a year off for the DWI and the substance abuse program....does his felony make him eligible for the personal conduct policy?

Fleeing police at 120 while driving without a license isn't really substance abuse.

Sparkey
04-18-2007, 07:08 AM
If people do not know, McKenzie is a doctor at Bellin Health Care, which is outside the scope of the Packers organization.....He is the Packers physician but it is not his only job......

MJZiggy
04-18-2007, 07:11 AM
I guess Bellin had to do something to replace Samkon. :(

Patler
04-18-2007, 07:32 AM
One article said McKenzie performed knee surgery on Robinson after his suspension, and the arrangement was set up so he could rehab under McKenzie's supervision for part of the day, and do volunteer service in the clinic several hours each day too.

pbmax
04-18-2007, 07:33 AM
Rastak, a good question, and I haven't seen it answered definitively anywhere. Goodell has already made the policy retroactive to activity during the prior season. Robinson's Too Fast Too Blasted episode was only the offseason prior that.

Thing I'm wondering is, he got a year off for the DWI and the substance abuse program....does his felony make him eligible for the personal conduct policy?

Fleeing police at 120 while driving without a license isn't really substance abuse.

sepporepi
04-18-2007, 07:38 AM
at least one can get the feeling they care about him also as a human and not just as a stop-gap player.

Of course it will help the team if he can become sober.

That's the one thing I don't like about the NFL punishments. The culprit is left alone and banned from his normal live. In my opinion the chances for a turnaround would be a lot better if this were not the case.

Zool
04-18-2007, 07:44 AM
I don't get how they can call him "Green Bay Packer Receiver" when he's banned from football :?:Because if he ever is reinstated, the Pack owns his rights?

Patler
04-18-2007, 07:51 AM
Rastak, a good question, and I haven't seen it answered definitively anywhere. Goodell has already made the policy retroactive to activity during the prior season. Robinson's Too Fast Too Blasted episode was only the offseason prior that.

Lots of interesting questions posed by this scenario. Can the policy be made retroactively effective against someone who was not a member of the league? After all, Robinson had been "kicked out". If the answer to that is "yes", then what about college players and their felonies before entering the league?

Of course, with Robinson it really doesn't matter what they give for reasons, once a player is suspended it seems to be completely within the Commissioner's discretion whether to reinstate the player. There don't seem to be any standards for reinstatement. He could just decide that KR has used up all his chances. It would not surprise me one bit if that is what happens in view of all that has gone on the last few years and the league's attempt to get control of it. Why take the risk of another embarassing situation for the league if KR screws up yet again?

Rastak
04-18-2007, 08:20 AM

Lots of interesting questions posed by this scenario. Can the policy be made retroactively effective against someone who was not a member of the league? After all, Robinson had been "kicked out". If the answer to that is "yes", then what about college players and their felonies before entering the league?

Of course, with Robinson it really doesn't matter what they give for reasons, once a player is suspended it seems to be completely within the Commissioner's discretion whether to reinstate the player. There don't seem to be any standards for reinstatement. He could just decide that KR has used up all his chances. It would not surprise me one bit if that is what happens in view of all that has gone on the last few years and the league's attempt to get control of it. Why take the risk of another embarassing situation for the league if KR screws up yet again?

Interesting points. I guess if the commish wants to dicipline him further he'll just deny his reinstatement as you said. I don't think the guy should be kicked out of the league for life but missing a full year might wake him up. Maybe the partial year last has done that.....who knows....

MJZiggy
04-18-2007, 08:27 AM
The thing that intrigues me about this is that if alcoholism is considered a disease, then imagine the legal ramifications of being overly punitive with it. I think if he stays clean for a year, he's got a pretty good shot, but that's just my thinking. Besides, if he does mess up again and embarrass the league, Goodell can very publicly make an example of him.

cpk1994
04-18-2007, 10:20 AM
I don't get how they can call him "Green Bay Packer Receiver" when he's banned from football :?:Because if he ever is reinstated, the Pack owns his rights?

Ding Ding Ding. We have a winner. Give that person a cigar! :P

Fritz
04-18-2007, 11:07 AM

I bet Max McGee is getting nervous right about now.

swede
04-18-2007, 12:24 PM
I like the fact that Green Bay is finding a way, apparently, to maintain a supportive relationship with Robinson. I assume they are staying within the bounds of league rules as they do this.

If Koren is an alcoholic there will be no "settling it down" or "being more careful." In all likelihood he needs to straight up quit or his NFL career will be over before the season is out.

I do hope the league gives him this last shot. Koren needs us a lot more than we need him at this point in his life.

woodbuck27
04-19-2007, 04:50 PM
Yes.

Bump.