PDA

View Full Version : What did the Bear Victory cost the Pack?

hurleyfan
04-17-2007, 06:59 PM
Ok Rats, it's been a long time since the New Years Eve "Beat Down" of the Bears, and I apologize if this has been covered (I imagine it has :lol: ) but what is the "cost" in draft position of the Packers' victory over the Bears?

The Pack stood no chance of making the playoffs, and by finishing 8 & 8 as opposed to 7 & 9 what a difference in draft position!

8 & 8 gets us number 16 and a shot at Marshawn Lynch (character & some injury questions) as opposed to maybe # 11 or 12?

MJZiggy
04-17-2007, 07:02 PM
Whatever the draft cost, beating the Bears is always worth it, IMO.

hurleyfan
04-17-2007, 07:08 PM

Granted beating the Bears is ALWAYS a good thing, but what do you think is the actual "cost" in player selection will be?

VermontPackFan
04-17-2007, 07:15 PM
Your point NY? I guess we can go thru the other 7 wins and ask what if too....
Ill take the Victory any day.

packinpatland
04-17-2007, 07:22 PM
Honor. Pride. Integrity. Beating the Bears.

PRICELESS

hurleyfan
04-17-2007, 07:26 PM
Deer Hunter,
my point is... beating the Bears is always a good thing, but getting the 16th pick in the draft as opposed to the 11th (which brings in to play better trade possibilities), is there much of a difference???

Beat the Bears and get #16, or lose and get 11 or 12?

Just looking for thoughts and opinions..

Bretsky
04-17-2007, 07:30 PM
It probably cost us a top DL or the top LB in the draft if we wanted him.

Lynx4Ben
04-17-2007, 07:32 PM
Actually, the pack did stand a chance at making the playoffs. It was possible to make it at 8-8. I can't remember the scenario anymore but I think we just needed one more game to go in our favor. Any time there is a chance you don't tank the game for better draft picks.

Furthermore, I agree that beating the bears is worth the extra picks.

LL2
04-17-2007, 07:34 PM

You got that right! I was at the game so it was a lot of fun, even though it was meaningless. We will sweep them this year!

hurleyfan
04-17-2007, 07:35 PM
Actually, the pack did stand a chance at making the playoffs. It was possible to make it at 8-8. I can't remember the scenario anymore but I think we just needed one more game to go in our favor. Any time there is a chance you don't tank the game for better draft picks.

I think by the time the Packers played, all the scenarios already had played out.. Think the Giants victory pretty much sealed their fate

Lynx4Ben
04-17-2007, 07:38 PM
Ahh I think your right. I recall the giants needed to lose and I think they played the thursday game.

VermontPackFan
04-17-2007, 07:41 PM
Deer Hunter,
my point is... beating the Bears is always a good thing, but getting the 16th pick in the draft as opposed to the 11th (which brings in to play better trade possibilities), is there much of a difference???

I didnt know if you wanted to "what if" we lost to Detroit too?
Maybe we could have had a chance at Landry?

MJZiggy
04-17-2007, 07:44 PM
Ahh I think your right. I recall the giants needed to lose and I think they played the thursday game.

Still, it's the Bears.

hurleyfan
04-17-2007, 07:48 PM
Deer Hunter,

I didnt know if you wanted to "what if" we lost to Detroit too?
Maybe we could have had a chance at Landry?

Crap, I don't want this to turn in to what if we lost all 16 games, whether it's the Lions, or the fricking Jets & Pats that shut is out at home!

Just wondering what the ramifications and thoughts of Packer Rats are on winning a meaningless game in the standings and the possibility of landing a Marshawn Lynch @16, or if there are better opportunities at # 11 !

b bulldog
04-17-2007, 07:51 PM
I agree that beating the bears was nice but it did cost us. Some draft boards have AD going in the area where we would have been and Willis would have been there also.

esoxx
04-17-2007, 07:56 PM
Yeah, and if we had lost to the Bears and were able to draft Marshawn Lynch and he ends up being a bust or a bad apple or whatever, then what would have been the cost for losing to the Bears? Maybe instead of Lynch we end up picking a WR or S or lineman that turns out to be the real deal instead. There's plenty of drafts where the 16 turns out better than the 11.

We can play this "what if" game all day long but it's pretty pointless. The draft is far from an absolute science to begin with so to sacrifice a win against the Bears, who had beat us four times in a row and had their obnoxious fans reminding us of it at every turn...just to move up in the draft is downright asinine imo.

VermontPackFan
04-17-2007, 08:04 PM
I hear what you are saying NYR but its hard to quantify. Beating the Bears is sweet no matter what time of year, and a win is a win in the NFL. As we have come to realize over the last 2 years, they are not easy to come by no matter who you play or what time of year.

Lets drink some more kool aid and bring on the draft!

hurleyfan
04-17-2007, 08:10 PM
Yeah, and if we had lost to the Bears and were able to draft Marshawn Lynch and he ends up being a bust or a bad apple or whatever, then what would have been the cost for losing to the Bears? Maybe instead of Lynch we end up picking a WR or S or lineman that turns out to be the real deal instead. There's plenty of drafts where the 16 turns out better than the 11.

We can play this "what if" game all day long but it's pretty pointless. The draft is far from an absolute science to begin with so to sacrifice a win against the Bears, who had beat us four times in a row and had their obnoxious fans reminding us of it at every turn...just to move up in the draft is downright asinine imo.

esoxx,

you're entitled to your opinion(every one has one) but I think you've missed my point..

I simply asked what the "cost" in draft position was based on beating the Bears in a game that meant nothing in the standings, meant LOTS in our hearts, but may cost the Packers a great deal in future years for a difference of #16 versus possible # 11..

Joemailman
04-17-2007, 08:10 PM
Seems we had this same conversation last year after the Pack beat Seattle in the last game of the 2005 season. Well, I'll take the guy we had to "settle" for (Hawk) anyday. All the win over the Bears did was give the Pack a shot in the arm heading into 2007, as well as the confidence that the Bears can be beaten.

hurleyfan
04-17-2007, 08:21 PM
Seems we had this same conversation last year after the Pack beat Seattle in the last game of the 2005 season. Well, I'll take the guy we had to "settle" for (Hawk) anyday. All the win over the Bears did was give the Pack a shot in the arm heading into 2007, as well as the confidence that the Bears can be beaten.

Joe,
good point, but what if the Packers lost to the 'Hawks, and had to "settle" for possibly Vince Young or Reggie Bush (one more loss moves the Pack into top 3 or 4 spots) last year?

I'm very happy with A J Hawk also, I was just looking for thoughts and ideas of this years difference between # 16 (beat the Bears) or a shot at a higher draft pick??

Five or six spots in the first round makes a huge possible difference in the talent selected...

MJZiggy
04-17-2007, 08:27 PM
If we had to "settle" for Vince Young, he'd be warming the bench with ARod. Can Bush run in the zone? And it's STILL the friggin' Bears. You beat them no matter what.

Patler
04-17-2007, 08:28 PM
I'm not sure there is a huge difference between #16 and #11 (if that's what GB would have gotten by losing).

However, I do think there is a big difference between 8-8 and 7-9 for a season record. I also think winning convincingly, no matter the circumstances, was very important after the first Bear game.

They are better off for havng won the game, even with the lower draft pick.

oregonpackfan
04-17-2007, 08:38 PM
Beating the Bears: Always a good thing!

Joemailman
04-17-2007, 08:38 PM
I honestly don't think there is much difference in the talent level of the 12th versus 16th pick in this year's draft. Is there any concensus regarding who the 12th best player is? For instance, a lot of people have Marshawn Lunch going 12th, a lot have him going 16th, some have him going 19th, a few think he'll slip to the 2nd round. The main difference between picking 12th or 16th is that the Packers will be picking 16th on every round instead of 12th. But even that is less significant than the confidence the Packers got from beating the Bears.

Bretsky
04-17-2007, 08:56 PM
The Bucks better not win a meaningless game tomorrow night; it might screw up their draft position

esoxx
04-17-2007, 09:13 PM

esoxx,

you're entitled to your opinion(every one has one) but I think you've missed my point..

I simply asked what the "cost" in draft position was based on beating the Bears in a game that meant nothing in the standings, meant LOTS in our hearts, but may cost the Packers a great deal in future years for a difference of #16 versus possible # 11..

I don't think I missed your point but you appear to have missed mine.

Simply, we don't know the "cost" of winning that game. It very well may turn out that the lost draft position could turn out to be a blessing in disguise as maybe that 11 pick is the bust, not the 16. No one really knows for sure how it will turn out until a few years from now and we can see in hindsight.

In '89 we had the 2 pick. If we had a better record some other team would have picked that mistake and we would have had to settle for a much better player further down in the draft. What was the cost of picking 2 that year? Plenty!

I'm sure SD felt the same way the year they settled for Ryan Leaf at 2 and passed on many players that turned out to be Pro Bowlers.

Draft = inexact science. No one knows how it will turn out.

The basic premise isn't arguable, picking 11 is better than picking 16. That said, it doesn't mean you end up with the better player.

b bulldog
04-17-2007, 09:15 PM
Settle for Young, did you mean the rookie of the year?

RashanGary
04-17-2007, 09:16 PM
Bretsky,

The Hawks won so it gives us the 3rd slot gauranteed.

b bulldog
04-17-2007, 09:17 PM
Isn't it a ping pong ball lottery?

Bretsky
04-17-2007, 09:34 PM
Bretsky,

The Hawks won so it gives us the 3rd slot gauranteed.

That's great news; we have about a 40 percent chance of landing either Oden or Durrant

The Shadow
04-17-2007, 09:36 PM

Could not have said it better!

b bulldog
04-17-2007, 09:37 PM
It's those two and than everyone else. Any big time European players or other foreign players that could be the number three pick?

Brohm
04-17-2007, 10:02 PM
With the QB play of the Bears that day, we would have had to start our third stringers to lose.

Brando19
04-17-2007, 10:03 PM
Beating the Bears = Brett Favre back for another year.

Guiness
04-17-2007, 10:23 PM
I'm sure Brando's getting tired of explaining what he meant, and people ignoring his question, but also put me squarely with the 'any cost is worth beating the Bears'.

I've always maintained that. The confidence gained from the wins far outweighs any possible slightly better player we might get.

MadtownPacker
04-17-2007, 10:36 PM
The day the team plays to lose is the day I stop watching. This applies to any level of competion.

sepporepi
04-18-2007, 03:45 AM
The main difference between picking 12th or 16th is that the Packers will be picking 16th on every round instead of 12th.

They won't.

They will pick
15th in Round 2
14th in Round 3
13th in Round 4
20th in Round 5
19th in Round 6
18th in Round 7

Iron Mike
04-18-2007, 05:01 AM
High first-round draft picks don't always equal success for the Packers.....e.g., 1981--Rich Campbell, 1987--Brent Fullwood, 1989 Tony Mandarich, 1992 T-Buck, 1996 John Michels, 1999 Antuan Edwards, 2004 Ahmad Carroll.

I'd rather pound the Bears into submission. :P

gbpackfan
04-18-2007, 06:16 AM
I can't believe I am even responding to this garbage! :lol:

HA, just kidding. But beating the BEARS is always better then gaining draft position. ALWAYS!

Beating the Bears = #1 priority
Winning the Superbowl = #2
Winning the North = #3
Beating the Vikings = #4
Kicking the Lions while their down = #5

gureski
04-18-2007, 12:35 PM
I prefer to look at the Rams and Saints games and see how the team lost a playoff spot because of two blown games that the team should've won.

BallHawk
04-18-2007, 12:37 PM
I may be mistaken, but wasn't it the Bears game that really opened Favre's eyes and made him realize that he couldn't walk away just yet?

Perhaps if we don't win that game, Favre retires? :shock:

Brando19
04-18-2007, 01:53 PM
I'm sure Brando's getting tired of explaining what he meant, and people ignoring his question, but also put me squarely with the 'any cost is worth beating the Bears'.

I've always maintained that. The confidence gained from the wins far outweighs any possible slightly better player we might get.

Huh?

MJZiggy
04-18-2007, 01:55 PM
Brando, I think he meant Hurleyfan.

Partial
04-18-2007, 02:01 PM
Probably cost them a shot at Carriker and Patrick Thrillis

Brando19
04-18-2007, 03:28 PM
Brando, I think he meant Hurleyfan.

Okay, thank you. I read that and was a bit puzzled at first. :shock:

the_idle_threat
04-18-2007, 03:34 PM
Q: What did the Bear Victory cost the Pack?

A: An offseason of insufferable shit talk from Bears fans.

swede
04-18-2007, 03:42 PM
Q: What did the Bear Victory cost the Pack?

A: An offseason of insufferable shit talk from Bears fans.

That is so true. The Bear trolls simply disappeared thanks to that last drubbing.

:worship:

BooHoo
04-18-2007, 04:40 PM
Victories are always better than possible future draft picks.

POLISHHAWK
04-18-2007, 05:21 PM
WHOEVER STARTED THIS FORUM SHOULD BE PUNCHED TO KNOCK SOME SENSE INTO THEM!!!

WHAT DID THE 2 VIKINGS VICTORIES COST THE PACK?
WHAT DID THE 2 DETROIT VICTORIES COST THE PACK?
WHAT DID THE SF WIN COST THE PACK?
WHAT DID THE MIAMI WIN COST THE PACK?

WHATEVER YOU WIN, YOU LOSE IN THE DRAFT. PLAIN AND SIMPLE... DO YOU WANT TO ENJOY THE MOMENT, OR DO YOU WANT TO SAY "WELL; THERE'S ALWAYS NEXT YEAR". 31 TEAMS SAY THAT. WE WERE NOT GOING TO BE THE TEAM THIS YEAR, SO WIN THE FUKKKKKKIN GAMES YOU CAN WIN!! IT'S CONFIDENCE FOR NEXT SEASON.
THROWING GAMES WOULD STEP THE NFL DOWN TO NBA'S LEAGUE (WHICH IS THE WORST PROFESSIONAL LEAGUE PERIOD!!)

Chubbyhubby
04-18-2007, 05:28 PM

Speaking about "tanking" Our beloved Milwaukee Bucks are doin just that. Unlike Football in the NBA there is a lottery. We'll see on May 22nd if all that tanking was worth while....

RashanGary
04-18-2007, 07:13 PM

Best LB for sure and probably one of the top 3 elite DLmen

Bretsky
04-18-2007, 10:20 PM

Best LB for sure and probably one of the top 3 elite DLmen

That's when you know we spend too much time studying the draft :lol:

It's been slow lately and I thought this was a fine topic.

Right when I saw it I pictured the LB and a couple top tier DL going the four to five picks in front of us so that is how I responded.

pbmax
04-18-2007, 11:37 PM
I'm sorry, but please type larger, I am having trouble hearing the words on the page. Thank you. :(

WHOEVER STARTED THIS FORUM SHOULD BE PUNCHED TO KNOCK SOME SENSE INTO THEM!!!

WHAT DID THE 2 VIKINGS VICTORIES COST THE PACK?
WHAT DID THE 2 DETROIT VICTORIES COST THE PACK?
WHAT DID THE SF WIN COST THE PACK?
WHAT DID THE MIAMI WIN COST THE PACK?

WHATEVER YOU WIN, YOU LOSE IN THE DRAFT. PLAIN AND SIMPLE... DO YOU WANT TO ENJOY THE MOMENT, OR DO YOU WANT TO SAY "WELL; THERE'S ALWAYS NEXT YEAR". 31 TEAMS SAY THAT. WE WERE NOT GOING TO BE THE TEAM THIS YEAR, SO WIN THE FUKKKKKKIN GAMES YOU CAN WIN!! IT'S CONFIDENCE FOR NEXT SEASON.
THROWING GAMES WOULD STEP THE NFL DOWN TO NBA'S LEAGUE (WHICH IS THE WORST PROFESSIONAL LEAGUE PERIOD!!)