PDA

View Full Version : AP in Minny

b bulldog
04-17-2007, 09:44 PM
Peterson was in for a visit recently and talk is that if Quinn is gone, Peterson may be their pick :(

ND72
04-17-2007, 09:48 PM
Good, Peterson has maybe a 3-4 year shelf life. He'll be hurt before he makes the Vikes any better.

HarveyWallbangers
04-17-2007, 09:52 PM
This is news? Every team has several guys they can bring in. Sometimes, teams bring in guys they like. Other times, it's a smokescreen.

J-Rok
04-17-2007, 09:54 PM
I brought Peterson in for a visit a couple of days ago. He's good at running and stuff, but he's a terrible interview. PASS!

ND72
04-17-2007, 09:57 PM
and again, I don't wanna come off as YES the vikings should take AP, cause I really don't want them to...but he really is damaged goods in my mind, and his injury history would worry me. when you break that collarbone, it's gonna get broke again, that's really almost garunteed in the game of football. AP is going to have injuries in his career, and it's gonna cut his career short. His only hope is to go to someone like Minny, where he is a 1/2 runner with someone else...but then you'll never get the productivity that's expected of him.

HarveyWallbangers
04-17-2007, 10:00 PM
What a talent though. There are good prospects. Guys like Cadillac Williams. Then, there are guys like him. If it weren't for his injuries and Calvin Johnson, people would talk about AP being the athletic freak in this draft. He's a faster Steven Jackson.

ND72
04-17-2007, 10:01 PM
What a talent though. There are good prospects. Guys like Cadillac Williams. Then, there are guys like him. If it weren't for his injuries and Calvin Johnson, people would talk about AP being the athletic freak in this draft. He's a faster Steven Jackson.

Totally agree.

b bulldog
04-17-2007, 10:16 PM
He runs like a tree and his injuries are a huge risk but the guy truely is a freak and could be a huge impact player in Minny's offense. Some scouts think he is the best rb prospect to come out in years.

Rastak
04-18-2007, 04:47 AM

Yea, if the Vikes get AP I'm happy as can be.

Iron Mike
04-18-2007, 05:07 AM

Then maybe you could trade him to Dallas for 5 draft picks, like Herschel Walker. :P

Rastak
04-18-2007, 06:24 AM

Then maybe you could trade him to Dallas for 5 draft picks, like Herschel Walker. :P

Nah, wouldn't need to. :D

Spaulding
04-18-2007, 07:48 AM
Rastak, although I agree that AP is a potentially a special talent, are you the least bit concerned he'll be another Kenechi Udeze?

Sometimes I understand you have to take a risk but all too often it bites you in the ass. One of the few positive things that I can remember of Sherman as a GM was him taking Barnett over the higher rated but more injury prone Boss Bailey and time has proven his move a smart one. I know there are plenty of examples going the other way but given the Vikings needs at other positions at the #7 spot they likely have their choice of the top rated player at some of the need positions is the risk worth AP?

Lastly, anybody know if Vikings front office (Wilf/Rick Spielman/etc.) along with Childress are best player available oriented or need based?

Given the one year last year it appears more need based but I defer to a Viking fan for a more accurate answer.

My worst nightmare would be if the Vikes saw Brady slip to #7 and took him as I think he's going to be a solid NFL quarterback. For whatever reason he reminds me of Dree Brees. Also, if Gaines Adams is available they'd have to think hard about being able to spell Udeze or James and make that front four possibly the best in the NFL.

Rastak
04-18-2007, 08:16 AM
Rastak, although I agree that AP is a potentially a special talent, are you the least bit concerned he'll be another Kenechi Udeze?

Sometimes I understand you have to take a risk but all too often it bites you in the ass. One of the few positive things that I can remember of Sherman as a GM was him taking Barnett over the higher rated but more injury prone Boss Bailey and time has proven his move a smart one. I know there are plenty of examples going the other way but given the Vikings needs at other positions at the #7 spot they likely have their choice of the top rated player at some of the need positions is the risk worth AP?

Lastly, anybody know if Vikings front office (Wilf/Rick Spielman/etc.) along with Childress are best player available oriented or need based?

Given the one year last year it appears more need based but I defer to a Viking fan for a more accurate answer.

My worst nightmare would be if the Vikes saw Brady slip to #7 and took him as I think he's going to be a solid NFL quarterback. For whatever reason he reminds me of Dree Brees. Also, if Gaines Adams is available they'd have to think hard about being able to spell Udeze or James and make that front four possibly the best in the NFL.

Yea, I hear ya. I'd take Quinn if he were there also......there are 7 or so blue chip guys so one of them will be sitting there and I'd take that guy regardless of position myself. Despite other needs.

HarveyWallbangers
04-18-2007, 10:02 AM
I think there are 6 blue chip players (Johnson, Thomas, Peterson, Russell, Quinn, and possibly Landry). I question Landry a bit because I don't necessarily buy the hype fully. There isn't anything production wise and athletically that separates him from Reggie Nelson. He's a little bigger, but a little less athletic than Nelson. I don't put Gaines Adams in the group. I don't get too hyped on speed rushers that run in the low-to-mid 4.7s range. The only speed rushers I like are those guys with freakish speed (e.g. Dwight Freeney). I'm hoping the Vikings don't get one of the top 5 guys. Otherwise, there isn't a player that I worry about them getting. They are all a huge crapshoot after the top 5, and you could throw the two QBs in there also--although they are both legit, big-time prospects. Johnson, Peterson (provided he stays healthy), and Thomas are the only "can't miss" guys that I see in the draft.

Fritz
04-18-2007, 11:10 AM
He runs like a tree and his injuries are a huge risk but the guy truely is a freak and could be a huge impact player in Minny's offense. Some scouts think he is the best rb prospect to come out in years.

Not sure what to make of that phrase. All the trees in my yard are pretty damn slow, but I ran into one once and it hurt like hell.

swede
04-18-2007, 12:13 PM

Not sure what to make of that phrase. All the trees in my yard are pretty damn slow, but I ran into one once and it hurt like hell.

Agreed. Trees are much better suited to DT.

Cliff Branch was a good WR, though.

mngolf19
04-18-2007, 12:16 PM

My guess is that they would take best player available unless they really have depth there and the next option is potentially a great need. But like you I am not sure what way they would go. I just think they are blowing smoke with AP, more likely to go a different direction.

Rastak
04-18-2007, 01:31 PM

My guess is that they would take best player available unless they really have depth there and the next option is potentially a great need. But like you I am not sure what way they would go. I just think they are blowing smoke with AP, more likely to go a different direction.

If he's there they'd better either get a BUNCH in return for trading down or just take him.

Partial
04-18-2007, 01:39 PM
I could see you guys picking up Peterson Ras!

It would certainly make things easier for Tarvaris by having very capable backs. If they can improve their running game and secondary that team is scary good.

Rastak
04-18-2007, 01:43 PM

It would certainly make things easier for Tarvaris by having very capable backs. If they can improve their running game and secondary that team is scary good.

Chester Taylor got pretty worn down so two backs would be better than one in this case.

Partial
04-18-2007, 01:47 PM

Chester Taylor got pretty worn down so two backs would be better than one in this case.

Yep, and that team is scary, scary, scary good if Peterson turns out to be the player he is expected to be. If they add a player like Weddle or happen to have a Corner fall to them in the second, they could be a super bowl contender.

Zool
04-18-2007, 02:24 PM
Tarvaris Jackson is not leading a team to the SB just yet.

Partial
04-18-2007, 03:03 PM

With two stud backs Tarvaris won't have to do a whole lot. That defense will be dominating once they get a secondary. Also, having Erasmus back will help with the pass rushing and pressuring the QB, helping out the secondary big time.

HarveyWallbangers
04-18-2007, 03:15 PM
Yep, and that team is scary, scary, scary good if Peterson turns out to be the player he is expected to be. If they add a player like Weddle or happen to have a Corner fall to them in the second, they could be a super bowl contender.

Scary good? They don't have much at WR or TE. The rightside of their OL is pretty pourous. They have some question marks at LB. Their depth at CB isn't very good. They don't have any pass rushers. They have some things to build on (their DTs and a couple of other good defensive players, Taylor, and a few good OL), but they are more than 2-3 players from a Super Bowl.

Partial
04-18-2007, 03:33 PM

Scary good? They don't have much at WR or TE. The rightside of their OL is pretty pourous. They have some question marks at LB. Their depth at CB isn't very good. They don't have any pass rushers. They have some things to build on (their DTs and a couple of other good defensive players, Taylor, and a few good OL), but they are more than 2-3 players from a Super Bowl.

Nonsense. You land a stud premiere running back and you are in the playoffs right there. They can stop the run which is key come playoff time, and if they develop some sort of a secondary they will have a good defense.

Zool
04-18-2007, 03:35 PM
So...if you cant pass, you can still run? The QB has a good arm and no one to throw to and no idea what to do from there. Balance wins games.

Partial
04-18-2007, 03:41 PM
So...if you cant pass, you can still run? The QB has a good arm and no one to throw to and no idea what to do from there. Balance wins games.

Tell that to the Atlanta team that went to the conference championship a few years back, or Vince Young who really didn't do a whole lot through the air, or the brad johnson led bucs, or hell even the Jaguars the past couple of years.

Lots of teams use the run to open up the pass. With a dominating run game they will have more success passing then most would think.

Zool
04-18-2007, 03:49 PM
I have to disagree. As sad as the Atl receivers are, they still have Crumpler, I would take them over the MN receivers all day.

b bulldog
04-18-2007, 04:14 PM
Running like a tree= running with a high pad level

ND72
04-18-2007, 08:03 PM

With two stud backs Tarvaris won't have to do a whole lot. That defense will be dominating once they get a secondary. Also, having Erasmus back will help with the pass rushing and pressuring the QB, helping out the secondary big time.

So then Defenses will put 8-9 guys in the box, and force Jackson to throw...Rastak better be ready for an 0-16 season like that then.

Rastak
04-18-2007, 08:34 PM

So then Defenses will put 8-9 guys in the box, and force Jackson to throw...Rastak better be ready for an 0-16 season like that then.

Yea, nobody can win if they are that one dimensional. Jackson was coming off minor knee surgery at the end of last year so he wasn't as mobile as he should be next year. That should loosen things up but the Vikings WR corps has me worried. They need to land a decent guy in the draft and pick up a vet besides. Their new TE (can't spell his damn name yet) is pretty fast so there is at least a small bit of hope coming from my basement as I type this.....LOL.

b bulldog
04-18-2007, 09:35 PM
The new TE that they severly overpaid :lol:

Fritz
04-19-2007, 12:37 PM

I wish that tree I ran into had had pads...

retailguy
04-19-2007, 12:48 PM
Yea, nobody can win if they are that one dimensional. Jackson was coming off minor knee surgery at the end of last year so he wasn't as mobile as he should be next year. That should loosen things up but the Vikings WR corps has me worried. They need to land a decent guy in the draft and pick up a vet besides. Their new TE (can't spell his damn name yet) is pretty fast so there is at least a small bit of hope coming from my basement as I type this.....LOL.

How about Randy Moss? :shock: :)

MJZiggy
04-19-2007, 01:03 PM

I wish that tree I ran into had had pads...

Do we need to keep a helmet on you? :P

Rastak
04-19-2007, 01:03 PM

How about Randy Moss? :shock: :)

I was more looking for guys ascending than decending.....

mngolf19
04-19-2007, 01:06 PM
And then they signed this guy.

http://www.startribune.com/503/story/1130095.html

The Vikings' search for wide receivers landed them an athlete who has never played organized football.
Todd Lowber, a former college basketball player and high jumping champion, signed a three-year contract with the team Wednesday after working out at Winter Park.

The Vikings discovered the 6-3, 205-pound Lowber when he worked out in front of several NFL scouts in late March in Wall Township, N.J. Jim Ulrich, who is helping represent Lowber for Atlanta-based Enter-Sports Management, said his client ran a 4.3 in the 40-yard dash.

Ulrich said several teams expressed interest in Lowber, including Philadelphia, St. Louis, Dallas, San Francisco and Carolina. Lowber had been scheduled to visit the Carolina Panthers today.

"It was just the people. It's all about the people," Lowber said when asked why he elected to sign with the Vikings. "It was the coaching staff. [Receivers coach George] Stewart, obviously I'm looking forward to working with him and Coach [Brad] Childress. They are good people and that's really a good sign because I'm a good person."

Lowber's athletic ability interested NFL teams but there is no doubt he will be a project. He played guard for four seasons on the Ramapo College basketball team in Mahwah, N.J., and won the 2006 NCAA Division III men's high jump. Lowber, who turned 25 in January, graduated in 2006 and spent a brief time playing basketball in Germany before returning to the United States. It was at that point he began training to play in the NFL.

"He has such freakish talent, who knows what's going to happen when he puts the pads on?" Ulrich said.

•

Zool
04-19-2007, 01:10 PM
Well Ras there ya go. No where to go but up for a guy who hasnt actually played football.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/TroyGlasses.jpg

Things are looking up for Williamson too.

Merlin
04-19-2007, 01:51 PM
I hope that AP doesn't go to Minnesota. Not because I don't want a good player to go to the Vikings but because I don't want to see a players career cut short by playing for a shitty team. Tavaris is a few years away yet and that overpaid offensive line couldn't block for a pee wee football team. Then you have Childress who will think he is the next Westbrook. I see AP in MN getting injured playing in that hole they call a field in his first season trying to cutback after Hutchinson misses a block on Dante Hall...

Rastak
04-19-2007, 01:56 PM
I hope that AP doesn't go to Minnesota. Not because I don't want a good player to go to the Vikings but because I don't want to see a players career cut short by playing for a shitty team. Tavaris is a few years away yet and that overpaid offensive line couldn't block for a pee wee football team. Then you have Childress who will think he is the next Westbrook. I see AP in MN getting injured playing in that hole they call a field in his first season trying to cutback after Hutchinson misses a block on Dante Hall...

The Pack hasn't actually been a ball of fire the last few years.....eh Merlin?

Funny pic of Troy "hands" Williamson Zool!

Merlin
04-19-2007, 01:59 PM
No, they haven't but at least there has always been hope. Once the Vikings hired Childress, all hope was lost in MN. It has been a very fast downhill slide!

woodbuck27
04-19-2007, 04:16 PM
Nice for Minny but they could certainly use a franchise QB.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2007mockdraft6.0.htm

19 April, 2007.

ROUND ONE

1. Oakland Raiders: Calvin Johnson, wide receiver, Georgia Tech.

2. Arizona Cardinals (from Lions, projected): Joe Thomas, offensive tackle, Wisconsin.

3. Cleveland Browns: Brady Quinn, quarterback, Notre Dame.

4. Minnesota Vikings (from Buccaneers, projected): JaMarcus Russell, quarterback, LSU.

5. Detroit Lions (from Cardinals, projected): Gaines Adams, defensive end, Clemson.

6. Buffalo Bills (from Redskins, projected): Adrian Peterson, running back, Oklahoma.

7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (from Vikings, projected): LaRon Landry, safety, LSU.

8. Atlanta Falcons (from Texans): Amobi Okoye, defensive tackle, Louisville.

9. Miami Dolphins: Levi Brown, offensive tackle, Penn State.

10. Houston Texans (from Falcons): Darrelle Revis, cornerback, Pitt.

11. San Francisco 49ers: Patrick Willis, linebacker, Mississippi.

12. Washington Redskins (from Bills, projected): Jamaal Anderson, defensive end, Arkansas.

13. St. Louis Rams: Dwayne Bowe, wide receiver, LSU.

14. Carolina Panthers: Robert Meachem, wide receiver, Tennessee.

15. Pittsburgh Steelers: Adam Carriker, defensive end, Nebraska.

16. Green Bay Packers: Marshawn Lynch, running back, California.

17. Jacksonville Jaguars: Leon Hall, cornerback, Michigan.

18. Cincinnati Bengals: Aaron Ross, cornerback, Texas.

19. Tennessee Titans: Anthony Spencer, defensive end, Purdue.

20. New York Giants: Michael Griffin, safety, Texas.

21. Denver Broncos: Ben Grubbs, guard, Auburn.

22. Dallas Cowboys: Ted Ginn, Jr., wide receiver, Ohio State.

23. Kansas City Chiefs: Eric Wright, cornerback, UNLV.

24. New England Patriots (from Seahawks): Reggie Nelson, safety, Florida.

25. New York Jets: Greg Olsen, tight end, Miami.

26. Philadelphia Eagles: Jon Beason, linebacker, Miami.

27. New Orleans Saints: Jarvis Moss, defensive end, Florida.

28. New England Patriots: Arron Sears, offensive tackle, Tennessee.

29. Baltimore Ravens: Joe Staley, offensive tackle, Central Michigan.

30. San Diego Chargers: Lawrence Timmons, linebacker, Florida State.

31. Chicago Bears: Dwayne Jarrett, wide receiver, USC.

32. Indianapolis Colts: Alan Branch, defensive tackle, Michigan.

ROUND TWO IS COMING.