PDA

View Full Version : Mocks Are Way Off Base With Thompson's Pick

Packnut
04-18-2007, 12:59 PM
Damn near 99% of all the mock drafts have us taking Lynch at 16. I really don't understand why. Are they all that stupid? Have they followed Thompson's mind set at all? I believe it's a high probability that Thompson wanted the ZBS in GB. For the sake of arguement, let's say it was more his idea than MM's. Now if your gonna copy a system from another team that has had success, why would you only do it half way?

Agree or dis-agree, Thompson does'nt do things half way. He stated from the beginning that he does not like free agency and in 3 years, his in-activity has proven this. It also seem's that he's pretty rigid in his beliefs. Nowif you take this all into account, there is no reason to believe he goes RB if Lynch is still there. The Bronco system, has proven you can get a good ZBS RB after the first round. Now it can be argued whether or not it's the RB or the fact that Denver has a knack for getting offensive linemen who play well in their scheme.

Now another thing about Teddy. What he says, he really does believe. He stated that Manuel was not to blame and that a player needs to get comfortable in his new settings. There were upgrades at the saftey spot in FA, and true to form, Thompson did'nt even flinch.

I bring that up to point out another comment from Thompson, and this one is about Bubba. He stated his belief that Franks will rebound this season. Now let's assume, he plans on going RB after rd 1. He knows that he has a young O line for the most part and everyone is still learning the ZBS. Is he really gonna take a TE at 16 who can't block? I think not.

Ok, so if you rule out Lynch and Olsen, what does that leave you? Common sense says WR. For better or worse, Rodgers is Ted's guy and after Brett is gone, which I believe is this season, Thompson will be judged a whole lot on that Rodgers pick. Another point is that Ted seem's to like going against NFL logic at times and most believe Rodgers will fail. Teddy would love to prove the majority wrong, but to do this, he must give his future QB some weapons. Driver is getting to the age where history says a decline is inevitable. Jennings shows promise, but the disappearing act in the 2nd half of the season is cause for concern. After that, the cupboard is bare.

Now the question is which WR? Ginn won't help in the red zone where we suck. Ted can get a pure speed WR later in the draft like the E Carolina guy. I still say Bowe has the edge, He's the best blocker out of all the WR's. He will give the most help in the red zone out of all the guys available. Also add to the fact that there has'nt been one word said by anyone in the Packer organization about Bowe. Last year, Hawk was'nt invited to GB and Teddy scooped him up. Same scenario with Bowe this time. If there is one lesson to be learned by Ted, it's that injuries have just killed us at the WR spot. First Walker and then Murphy. Fergy can't stay healthy to save his life. Driver, with the pounding he takes is due. In GB, ya can't have enough quality WR's..........

Partial
04-18-2007, 01:06 PM
I agree with you that they don't take Lynch or Olson. They are unimportant positions that don't need first round addressing unless they have a chance at a stud. They do not, so they will go in a different direction.

I think they could very likely go with Jamal Anderson from Arkansas if he falls, or Joe Staley if he elects to trade down a bit, or whom I think will be the best of the three levi brown.

I don't think TT will look at RB or TE until round 3. I am pretty much locked in they go Eric Weddle in the second.

pittstang5
04-18-2007, 01:18 PM
I too agree that most of the Mocks are wrong about who TT is going to take. Lynch and/or Olsen are everybodies choice because it is by far the biggest "need" that the Packers have right now - RB and TE. Along with that, these guys will probably be available when the Pack picks. Makes sense to the common outsider, but not to some Packer fans because we know how TT works.

Although, I agree that a WR is needed. God knows that from the injury history the past couple years. I still think TT is going to go with defense in the first round. Who that will be is anyone's guess. But if you follow TT's history, it'll be the best player available - probably a CB or DE. I really think that if Revis is available at 16, TT will take him.

MJZiggy
04-18-2007, 01:22 PM
It will go BPA 1st round, WR 2nd.

Partial
04-18-2007, 01:45 PM

I highly, highly doubt that no offense. They have far bigger needs than wideouts, and I doubt the value is going to be there in the second unless somebody like Sydney Rice falls or something to that effect.

I am really, really thinking they end up with Weddle. He is exactly the type of guy TT has historically taken. I know you like Paul Williams from Fresno but I don't think he'll go that route because he really has only had one adequate year, and three poor years. I've watched quite a bit of Fresno ball and i've gotta say i'm not overly impressed. Also, he missed a lot of playing time this year.

LL2
04-18-2007, 01:56 PM
[quote=MJZiggy]I am really, really thinking they end up with Weddle. He is exactly the type of guy TT has historically taken.

After all the things I’ve read about this guy he seems like he would be a great draft pick, and is a Packer type. I was thinking how great our defense would be if we got Weddle and Poluzny from Penn St. We could have the best LB group in the NFL and an improve defense that would be in the top 5.

Partial
04-18-2007, 01:59 PM
That would be a very solid D LL2, but in that case that they go LB do you want to go with a more instinctive player like Poz or a better athlete and player with more potential in Timmons?

LL2
04-18-2007, 02:22 PM
That would be a very solid D LL2, but in that case that they go LB do you want to go with a more instinctive player like Poz or a better athlete and player with more potential in Timmons?

It's a gamble...like rolling the dice...who knows which one will be the better player...I will go with Poz...instincts are important and he looks like a throwback LB like Nitschke.

Packnut
04-18-2007, 02:42 PM
I can understand the thinking that he'll go D IF that's where the best player available is. But if you use a little bit of Thompson logic here, I still think he goes WR. He just gave Harris an extension right? That means he's locked in to using him for at least 2 seasons. Same goes with Woodson as far as a minimum 2 yr time-line. I can't see drafting a CB at 16 who won't start for at least 2 yrs.

Our D line could be pretty solid and as far as money goes, Thompson has a lot of it used on the d-line. Doubtful he would invest 1st rd money there.

At LB, no way he uses another 1st on that position. IF he wants to replace Popp, he can do it later in the draft.

That leaves saftey. I still believe he's comitted to Manuel for 1 more season. He has Underwood and Culver for plan B. Landry will be gone by 16, so that leaves the Gator left. While not ruling it out and to me it would make sense, it's still a low percentage move. I still just don't see where going D in rd 1 will help his future QB.

That brings us back to WR. Another point is that with all the under-classmen coming out now, WR will be a weak spot in the draft next season. I don't believe there are any big name FA WR's scheduled for next season and even if there is, it's not in Teddy's nature to go after 1. So there is no help at that position on the horizon. Does anyone here really believe that Thompson is gonna rely on an aging DD to be Rodger's go to guy? Jennings should be a solid #2, but it's a stretch right now to say he's a #1. Of course that begs the question of are any of the WR's in the draft #1 material? Ginn and Rice are not. Both would be high risk projects. That leaves the LSU-Tenn duo. I guess only time will tell if either of them become #1 Wr's in the NFL.........

Cheesehead Craig
04-18-2007, 03:01 PM
Packnut -
That is a fantastic argument on what you believe TT will do. As much of an enigma as he is to us Packer fans (most of the time), I think you hit the nail on the head. If you are right and he takes Bowe, I'll happily purchase you a beer (or two) if you ever make it to the Twin Cities.

packers11
04-18-2007, 03:08 PM
Packnut...

You article makes a lot of sense, and I could see T.T. doing what you say...
BUT... BIG BUT!

There is a side of me that does not want this to come true...

I'd rather have Lynch / Nelson in the first round (two positions we need the most)...

Then get a WR is second / third round...

Hopefully the Moss trade goes through for a third rounder, but if T.T. picks a WR (like you said) at #1...
You can kiss the Moss rumor goodbye... (I'm pro Moss by the way) :)

Again... Great Points...

Partial
04-18-2007, 03:10 PM
I would be perfectly content with Bowe and Weddle in the first two rounds. That is definitely adding two very solid players who can be starters and big time contributors. I think Jennings will operate better out of the slot on third down anyway. Bowe is too big and slow for the slot.

gureski
04-18-2007, 03:21 PM

I absolutely agree that Thompson will take the best player available and I actually think that player will be a defensive player. The DE Anderson is falling and I could easily see Thompson taking him. One of the Safeties is also a valid option. It depends on whether or not Thompson trades down as to what position on defense he goes with. I do know this much.....there will be good RB's and WR's and TE's in the 2nd and 3d rounds. Thompson wont reach on an offensive player in the first round.

Bossman641
04-18-2007, 03:32 PM
I completely agree with your logic Packnut. Although I'm a fan of Lynch, I can easily see TT skipping over him to grab a WR or possibly trading down a few spots and grabbing a WR there.

motife
04-18-2007, 03:57 PM
http://www.cantedthompson.com/tedfro.jpg

BooHoo
04-18-2007, 04:36 PM
Packnut, thanks for an alternative way of thinking about the draft. It is good reading.

Packnut
04-18-2007, 04:58 PM
Packnut -
That is a fantastic argument on what you believe TT will do. As much of an enigma as he is to us Packer fans (most of the time), I think you hit the nail on the head. If you are right and he takes Bowe, I'll happily purchase you a beer (or two) if you ever make it to the Twin Cities.

I've been known to travel great distances for a free beer! :lol:

Packnut
04-18-2007, 05:00 PM
Packnut...

You article makes a lot of sense, and I could see T.T. doing what you say...
BUT... BIG BUT!

There is a side of me that does not want this to come true...

I'd rather have Lynch / Nelson in the first round (two positions we need the most)...

Hopefully the Moss trade goes through for a third rounder, but if T.T. picks a WR (like you said) at #1...

Again... Great Points...

That is another point I really did'nt consider about Moss. I kinda thought that had died but if it still is on the table, it could change things and make my thoughts null and void.

Packnut
04-18-2007, 05:01 PM
Packnut, thanks for an alternative way of thinking about the draft. It is good reading.

I'm getting antsy for the draft. Is it my imagination or is it much later this year?

Joemailman
04-18-2007, 05:11 PM
Packnut,

I share your feelings about Bowe. He would be a great addition. If Ginn were healthy, I might give him the edge, but Bowe is the best combo of strength and speed after CJ.

MJZiggy
04-18-2007, 05:11 PM
It was April 29 last year.

Mazzin
04-18-2007, 05:33 PM
Its actually the 28th, and 29th. 28th is more important.

Chubbyhubby
04-18-2007, 05:52 PM

I'm getting antsy for the draft. Is it my imagination or is it much later this year?

The Draft is Saturday April 28th-Sunday April 29th.

You beat me to it...

Bretsky
04-18-2007, 05:59 PM
Packnut,

I share your feelings about Bowe. He would be a great addition. If Ginn were healthy, I might give him the edge, but Bowe is the best combo of strength and speed after CJ.

Is Bowe a burner ? I'd still take Meacham over him w/o hesitiation.

Partial
04-18-2007, 06:16 PM
Packnut,

Bowe is slower and big. Definitely not a burner. Meachem did only have one productive year, though. Bowe has had 2 very productive years and a third w/ 500+ yards.

Bretsky
04-18-2007, 06:28 PM
Packnut,

Bowe is slower and big. Definitely not a burner. Meachem did only have one productive year, though. Bowe has had 2 very productive years and a third w/ 500+ yards.

I know; but Meacham had a serious injury year one so last year was his big year. Huge upside.

Packnut
04-18-2007, 06:40 PM
Packnut,

I know; but Meacham had a serious injury year one so last year was his big year. Huge upside.

Yeah, but can ya take a guy that high in the draft that only had 1 good year? That's a HUGE risk my friend. Bowe has proven his value and he's a much better blocker. If you take a look at teams that run the ball well, a common theme is good blocking WR's. Another point is Bowe is a better red zone guy and man we really need some help there. Meach may have more upside potential but Bowe is a more solid pick and someone who can help us out in our area of weakness.

Still, to be honest with you, I'd be happy with either one. Hell, I'd love to see TT go WR 2 out of the first 3 picks.

HarveyWallbangers
04-18-2007, 07:46 PM
I'm not a big Bowe fan, but it's all a crapshoot, so who knows.

RashanGary
04-18-2007, 08:06 PM

I'm guessing Lynch, Willis or Jamaal Anderson but you never know. Some GM's are clearly better than others so I would not say its a complete crapshoot but as far as guys like us are concerned; it's a crapshoot.

I can usually find 3 or 4 guys that I really like and I think I'm getting more and more accurate with those 3 or 4 every year but as far as predicting the whole damn draft into the teens or 20's, it's damn near impossible with any degree of accuracy for any of us IMO.

Joemailman
04-18-2007, 08:14 PM
Bowe and Meacham are the the same height, Bowe is about 4 pounds heavier. They had almost identical 40 times. Meacham's vertical jump was about 4 inches higher than Bowe's. Bowe is a much better blocker.Think Javon Walker (Meacham) vs. Hines Ward or Anquan Boldin (Bowe).

Bretsky
04-18-2007, 08:22 PM
Bowe and Meacham are the the same height, Bowe is about 4 pounds heavier. They had almost identical 40 times. Meacham's vertical jump was about 4 inches higher than Bowe's. Bowe is a much better blocker.Think Javon Walker (Meacham) vs. Hines Ward or Anquan Boldin (Bowe).

Did Bowe run around 4.4 ? I thought he was in the 4.6-4.7 range ?

RashanGary
04-18-2007, 08:37 PM
I'm warming up to Meachem Bretsky. I was against him when I saw he only had one good year but as I read, I'm finding out that he had that serious injury so he might be a hidden gem of sorts. He could be special but he is a serious risk because of the one year thing.

I completely agree with the Javon Walker comparison as far as body type but Walker was truely special after he got that lasic. I just don't know if Meachem has that kind of coordination and ability to track a ball.

RashanGary
04-18-2007, 08:39 PM
I think Bowe ran 4.51.

Joemailman
04-18-2007, 08:39 PM
B,

Sporting News has Bowe's 40 time at 4.40, NFL Draft Countdown has it at 4.50. Both have Meacham at 4.39.

HarveyWallbangers
04-18-2007, 09:17 PM
According to Gil Brandt on NFL.com (somebody that is trustworthy in my book), Meachem ran 4.38 and Bowe ran 4.51 at the combine--which is quite a bit of difference for a wideout. Of course, some guys play faster in pads--while others play slower.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/10033502

pbmax
04-18-2007, 09:27 PM
While I don't agree with the mindread of Thompson by Packnut, I agree with him on the misread of the Pack's first pick. Probably not a RB unless they have Lynch rated as a top five pick.

Given his history with Wolf, I don't see WR in the first unless someone gets a Koren Robinson grade and is at 16 (minus the blood alcohol percentage).

Don't see a safety here either, same Wolf tendency.

Its either cornerback, TE or O Tackle or D Line. Draft is short of OTackles. Not sure about D Line talent, but it isn't the area of biggest need on the team.

Its either CB or TE. I think TE unless Pack has significantly lower grade on Olsen than all the talking heads.

Fritz
04-19-2007, 06:54 AM
Greg Olsen just doesn't do it for me. He's like the woman that all your friends drool over, but you just look at her and go, "eh, so-so."

ND72's and Harvey's perspectives on Ginn have me warming up to the idea a bit. Same with Garrett Wolfe - playmakers. Risks, for sure, but risks with upside. Having said that, I'd rather see them trade down in round one and get an extra second rounder, and skip on Ginn. This team still needs talent - not just one or two guys.

PaCkFan_n_MD
04-19-2007, 07:12 AM
Hey Packnut were have you been hiding?

I enjoyed your thoughts and they make a lot of sense. For me, I think after Johnson, Bowe and Rice are the two best wide outs. If we went Bowe in one and Weedle in two (like Partial said), those would be two great picks. When it comes down to it am all for drafting anyone as long as they don't turn out to be busts. If you keep drafting good players ever year the team is bound to be good eventually.

Packnut
04-19-2007, 09:04 AM
Hey Packnut were have you been hiding?

I enjoyed your thoughts and they make a lot of sense. For me, I think after Johnson, Bowe and Rice are the two best wide outs. If we went Bowe in one and Weedle in two (like Partial said), those would be two great picks. When it comes down to it am all for drafting anyone as long as they don't turn out to be busts. If you keep drafting good players ever year the team is bound to be good eventually.

I'd be all for the Bowe-Weedle combo. As for Rice, I think he made a mistake coming out early. With Spurrier's offense, he could have put up some serious numbers next season. He does have a ton of potential.

SudsMcBucky
04-19-2007, 09:04 AM
Packnut...

Again... Great Points...

I, too, am pro Moss trade. Trade for Moss, draft Lynch in the first. O would be HUGELY upgraded with those 2 moves. Then, you have options in the second with a best player available among TE, Safety, DL.

Packnut
04-19-2007, 09:05 AM

Your right, it's the biggest game of "flip a coin " that there is.

ND72
04-19-2007, 09:14 AM
So, I had a dream last night. Waiting for the Packers pick. at 0:02 left, it was announced that we traded down with the Bears. Bears took Leon Hall...gave us their #31 pick, their 2nd round pick, and their 4th round pick. Unfortunately, I woke up right after the commish said, "With the 31st pick in the 2007 Draft, The Green Bay Packers Select......."

I was pissed.

run pMc
04-19-2007, 09:27 AM
I like Bowe and Meacham...according to the draftniks, Bowe might be a slight reach at 16. Most draft boards I've seen have Meacham as the #2 WR in the draft, but I think he'll be right around 15-20, with Bowe in the 20-25 range.

Personally, I wouldn't mind if TT drafted a CB/S early. Dendy isn't going to cut it as a nickel CB (or a starting CB if, God Forbid, Harris/Woodson gets hurt) for 16+ games...he's a dime back/ST guy. Same thing for Manuel at the S spot. Underwood & Blackmon? They need to show something first.

It's hard to predict what TT will do, but RB, WR, and CB/S seem (IMO) like the most likely spots to get a lot of attention. OL & DL depth would help, too.

Packnut
04-19-2007, 10:56 AM
So, I had a dream last night. Waiting for the Packers pick. at 0:02 left, it was announced that we traded down with the Bears. Bears took Leon Hall...gave us their #31 pick, their 2nd round pick, and their 4th round pick. Unfortunately, I woke up right after the commish said, "With the 31st pick in the 2007 Draft, The Green Bay Packers Select......."

I was pissed.

Next time get the damn pick will ya!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Packnut
04-19-2007, 10:57 AM
I like Bowe and Meacham...according to the draftniks, Bowe might be a slight reach at 16. Most draft boards I've seen have Meacham as the #2 WR in the draft, but I think he'll be right around 15-20, with Bowe in the 20-25 range.

Personally, I wouldn't mind if TT drafted a CB/S early. Dendy isn't going to cut it as a nickel CB (or a starting CB if, God Forbid, Harris/Woodson gets hurt) for 16+ games...he's a dime back/ST guy. Same thing for Manuel at the S spot. Underwood & Blackmon? They need to show something first.

It's hard to predict what TT will do, but RB, WR, and CB/S seem (IMO) like the most likely spots to get a lot of attention. OL & DL depth would help, too.

I'm at the point that I'll take any WR at 16!

PaCkFan_n_MD
04-19-2007, 11:03 AM

There really is no such thing as a reach IMO (unless of course it is something extreme). If you look at the history of drafts, their is going to be a couple busts in the top ten and their is going to be players who turn out to be studs in the late first. If you really think the player is going to be good, then go for it. For example with Bowe, if TT thinks he's going to be a solid starter then he should draft him and not worry about if he is taking him to early. Unless its possible to trade down, but thats not always the case.

PaCkFan_n_MD
04-19-2007, 11:09 AM

I was pissed.

It must be a sign from above. :D If I see packers trade with bears on my TV screen on the 28th I will laugh my ass off.

wist43
04-19-2007, 11:22 AM
I think TT will draft 2 DT's in the 1st two rounds, then an OT, then a S, then a CB, then a G, then a LB (who will have no chance of making the team, but was Ted's BPA at the time), then he will trade down, and draft 3 punters, 2 more safties, and 5 more OT's.

He will draft every player with the explicit proviso that he is doing so for no other reason than the fact that the team doesn't "need" any of these players.

You'll see... this prediction will go down in predraft history as being "savant-like"!!!! LOL.

Good to be back... golf was great!!! Except of course when it sucked... which was every 4th hole... lost 5 balls on one hole!!! Unbelievable...

MJZiggy
04-19-2007, 11:25 AM
If I see packers trade with bears on my TV screen on the 28th I will laugh my ass off.

I will cry.

Packnut
04-19-2007, 11:27 AM
I think TT will draft 2 DT's in the 1st two rounds, then an OT, then a S, then a CB, then a G, then a LB (who will have no chance of making the team, but was Ted's BPA at the time), then he will trade down, and draft 3 punters, 2 more safties, and 5 more OT's.

He will draft every player with the explicit proviso that he is doing so for no other reason than the fact that the team doesn't "need" any of these players.

You'll see... this prediction will go down in predraft history as being "savant-like"!!!! LOL.

Good to be back... golf was great!!! Except of course when it sucked... which was every 4th hole... lost 5 balls on one hole!!! Unbelievable...

Well, if you are "savant-like", and this comes true, a certain GM is gonna get a richly deserved ass whupping. Can someone who lives in GB hold my bail money for me? Also, if it's not to much trouble, asK-Rob how the jail food is up there.........

woodbuck27
04-19-2007, 01:24 PM
I too agree that most of the Mocks are wrong about who TT is going to take. Lynch and/or Olsen are everybodies choice because it is by far the biggest "need" that the Packers have right now - RB and TE. Along with that, these guys will probably be available when the Pack picks. Makes sense to the common outsider, but not to some Packer fans because we know how TT works.

Although, I agree that a WR is needed. God knows that from the injury history the past couple years. I still think TT is going to go with defense in the first round. Who that will be is anyone's guess. But if you follow TT's history, it'll be the best player available - probably a CB or DE. I really think that if Revis is available at 16, TT will take him.

I tend to agree with this post.

TT won't draft for 'O' in round one unless possibly he trades down. If he goes with the 16th pick he'll elect to draft on 'D'.

Best player available on HIS board available to build OUR 'D' for the future.

I have never believed that he's in the let's do something to support Brett Favre camp. There is too much evidence to support that belief since he became our future. One day Brett Favre may reveal his true feelings about Ted Thompson? I can't believe they will be positive.

On Ted Thompson and support for Favre and OUR 'O':

If Ted Thompson makes a move soon to acquire Randy Moss then that would be a huge surprize to me. I don't expect that will happen.

Based on that belief and evidence, or his past inactivity on the offensive side of the ball. Why would he try to bring in an impact player on 'O' when that may only inspire or impact Favre's play positively and sustain his desire to play?

Many of you may disagree with me, but that is my position, one that would be very difficult to change now. As I maintain. Based in TT's lack of incentive to help OUR team on 'O' since he was hired.

Seeing this has been frustrating to me as a Packer fan. To use one of the greatest Packer players of all time this way, insults the great tradition and history of the Packer organization.

The worse insult is to Brett Favre who always gives so much. To other's on OUR 'O' who game in and game out can only try their best against the odds.

In really feel that this is Brett Favre's final campaign Packer fans.

So enjoy Favre's final games, as much as Ted Thompson and those behind his hiring and policy's will allow.

Merlin
04-19-2007, 01:30 PM

BPA in who's eyes? Rodgers was the BPA according to TT, remember?

Merlin
04-19-2007, 01:37 PM
I agree with you Wood. I still believe that TT wants Favre gone and has since day one. I can understand the mentality to build a good defense but some of that can only happen with good coaching as Bates proved. I think Sanders is a go between guy. If the defense doesn't perform this year, Sanders is out.

I have always believed that with a good sprinkle of a few impact FA's each year and some good draft picks, that your team can be competitive every year. But obviously you have to look at both sides of the ball. Our defense is pretty good going into this draft. Drafting more defense is just ridiculous. Maybe a corner OR a safety, but we are stocked at every other position. Drafting an impact offensive player in the first round would be nice but outside of AP, I don't see one that will help in the first that isn't a QB. Having good backup online and more RB's and WR's in camp is the way to go. Trade down and take 12 players in the 2-7th and let them battle it out.

Packnut
04-19-2007, 01:57 PM
I agree with you Wood. I still believe that TT wants Favre gone and has since day one. I can understand the mentality to build a good defense but some of that can only happen with good coaching as Bates proved. I think Sanders is a go between guy. If the defense doesn't perform this year, Sanders is out.

I have always believed that with a good sprinkle of a few impact FA's each year and some good draft picks, that your team can be competitive every year. But obviously you have to look at both sides of the ball. Our defense is pretty good going into this draft. Drafting more defense is just ridiculous. Maybe a corner OR a safety, but we are stocked at every other position. Drafting an impact offensive player in the first round would be nice but outside of AP, I don't see one that will help in the first that isn't a QB. Having good backup online and more RB's and WR's in camp is the way to go. Trade down and take 12 players in the 2-7th and let them battle it out.

That is where my hostility towards Thompson comes from. The best thing we had going was Brett Favre and Thompson never made 1 move to give him help. Now I do understand the flip side of that coin.

I can totally understand the point of view that he had no choice but to tear this team down and start over. I also understand those who believe building through the draft and for the most part staying out of free agency. Just because there are those of us who believe different, does'nt make that point of view wrong.

However, with all that said, this "debate" will have closure at some point in the next few years. There will be no gray area in this regard. Thompson will leave a legacy of either building a solid long term winning program, or he will be remembered as the one who wasted a great QB's last few years.

The problem is that those of us who believe the second scenario will come true will take no satisfaction in being right because if Teddy fails, we all lose............

Freak Out
04-19-2007, 02:18 PM
Bowe with 16? Hell no! We need a WR but not that bad.

Packnut
04-19-2007, 02:22 PM
Latest from Kiper today. Sounds like he has no clue either to what Teddy will do.

Dan (Oshkosh, WI): What's the latest out of Green Bay? Are they still taking a long look at Marshawn Lynch? Or are Olsen or any of the big name receivers possibilities?

Mel Kiper: It's no guarantee that they'll go after Lynch. They have multiple need areas. They could use a TE. They could go a different route there. Ted Ginn Jr. could be a possibility. Kenny Irons at RB in the second round would be a nice pick.

HarveyWallbangers
04-19-2007, 02:49 PM
Weddle is my favorite for a round 2 pick, but I have a feeling he'll be gone by then. The Packers never draft who I like--whether it's Ron Wolf, Mike Sherman, Ted Thompson, or Tom Braatz.

woodbuck27
04-19-2007, 03:01 PM

That is where my hostility towards Thompson comes from. The best thing we had going was Brett Favre and Thompson never made 1 move to give him help. Now I do understand the flip side of that coin.

I can totally understand the point of view that he had no choice but to tear this team down and start over. I also understand those who believe building through the draft and for the most part staying out of free agency. Just because there are those of us who believe different, does'nt make that point of view wrong.

However, with all that said, this "debate" will have closure at some point in the next few years. There will be no gray area in this regard. Thompson will leave a legacy of either building a solid long term winning program, or he will be remembered as the one who wasted a great QB's last few years.

The problem is that those of us who believe the second scenario will come true will take no satisfaction in being right because if Teddy fails, we all lose............

DAM !

I sometimes wonder just how great Favre could have been if he had more offensive talent with him (more weapons). I know that he's only one player on the team but he's really so special in my view. He's also what is needed in terms of that franchise QB. . .still.

Favre has needed something more not just something.

Football is alot different than other PRO sports like baseball,hockey or basketball, where the Superstar may carry the day.

That pool of talented offensive players really isn't large when you consider the size of the roster? Yet all teams must experience the same adversity and challenges. Still it comes down to a numbers game with 32 players on both sides of the ball and building the best team possible plus the reserves.

After that it's all PLAN B.

It comes down to the proper scheme and solid dedicated coaching in a venue attractive to players that hunger to win a ring.

Players that want to be in Green Bay as FA's with a good QB (gone with TT's ways), a solid coaching staff (maybe that will develop) and FA's that have trust or believe in the organizations GM (see the top of this sentence).

I am guilty of not seeing the Ted Thompson way since he came. He's a difficult man to warm up to. He's building a reputation as a laisse faire type, a shrewd man with the money. He makes no promises and no rhetoric of hope. He says the same stuff over and over to defend his inactivity and whats really scarry to me is maybe he really believes his way is the way?

Until the better players believe his way is best we'll not go far and the way it now appears. He's staking alot of himself in Aaron Rodgers. Uhhhhh !!

Why ??

12-20 with Brett Favre certainly speaks mountains of his upcoming challenge. It behoves me why he's so frustrating or dull in his approach to allowing us to really challenge while we have Favre aboard!?

Especially given, that Brett Favre has never surrendered his will to win.

Bretsky
04-19-2007, 05:37 PM
Weddle is my favorite for a round 2 pick, but I have a feeling he'll be gone by then. The Packers never draft who I like--whether it's Ron Wolf, Mike Sherman, Ted Thompson, or Tom Braatz.

AJ Hawk; that one broke the trend last year.

Packnut
04-19-2007, 06:27 PM
It look's like good ole Todd M and I are seeing the same thing. I love it when one of the "experts" agree with me!

• WR Dwayne Bowe, LSU: Bowe will not get drafted as high as he should for two reasons. First, his 40-yard dash times at the combine were adequate but not good. Second, this year's class is loaded with talented wide receivers. As far as I'm concerned, Bowe plays faster than his 40 time indicates. He's a solidly built and physical receiver whose hands have markedly improved since he underwent Lasik eye surgery before the 2006 season. Calvin Johnson (Georgia Tech) is in a league of his own, but don't be surprised if Bowe emerges as the second-best pro receiver in this class, even if Ted Ginn Jr. (Ohio State) and Robert Meachem (Tennessee) come off the board before him.
• DE Anthony Spencer, Purdue: There's obviously concern that Spencer is a one-year wonder. He recorded 26.5 tackles for loss and 10.5 sacks as a senior after notching only 17 tackles for loss and 11 sacks in the previous three years combined. My view is that the light finally came on for Spencer in 2006. He has an outstanding combination of speed, athleticism and upper-body power. Spencer is expected to drop to the second round due to the outrageous amount of talent at the defensive end position this year. The team that stops his draft-day slide could end up with the NFL's rookie sack leader in 2007.
• WR Anthony Gonzalez, Ohio State: Ginn Jr. has the speed and flash. He also got more opportunities as the focus of the Buckeyes passing attack. However, when QB Troy Smith was in a bind, he instinctively looked Gonzalez's way, signaling his trust in Ohio State's secondary target. Gonzalez will never be a premier No. 1 receiver in the NFL, but I think he will quickly emerge as a reliable No. 2. That's worth early Round 2 consideration in my book.
• ILB David Harris, Michigan: Harris did not emerge as a starter until his junior season in 2005, which helps explain why he has been such a late-riser in the draft process. He lacks ideal fluidity and still has room to improve in terms of his coverage skills. However, Harris is an instinctive defender with an underrated combination of size, strength, toughness and straight-line speed. This year's inside linebacker class is short on depth, which helps Harris' cause. He's the second-best prospect at the position after Ole Miss' Patrick Willis, and it won't surprise me a bit to hear him compared to DeMeco Ryans (Texans) during the 2007 NFL season.
• CB Daymeion Hughes, Cal: There's no denying that Hughes' 40 times at the combine (high 4.6s, low 4.7s) were atrocious. However, he improved his times at Cal's pro day, and his straight-line speed can be masked if he is used properly at the next level. For a team employing a scheme heavy in Cover 2, Hughes could be a steal in the third or fourth round, where he's currently projected. He is aggressive versus the run and is a natural playmaker who notched 13 interceptions during his last two seasons.

b bulldog
04-19-2007, 08:54 PM
Harris is a football player whom I realy like. He is the only defensive UM player that I think will be what most think he will be, a solid NFL, LB. I haven't really commented much on the WR's beasides CJ but I love to watch SEC games and Bowe isd a player. He will be a good pro WR.

HarveyWallbangers
04-19-2007, 09:29 PM
It look's like good ole Todd M and I are seeing the same thing. I love it when one of the "experts" agree with me!

The guy on SI.com disagrees with you:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/stewart_mandel/04/19/overrated.underrated/index.html

Wide Receiver

Overrated: Dwayne Bowe, LSU

People have been drooling over this guy since the day he stepped foot on LSU's campus, and rightfully so, seeing as he's a strong, massive receiver who can get up and grab a jump ball. There's only one problem: He drops passes. Lots of them.

Much was made of his offseason LASIK surgery a year ago, and Bowe did cut down on his drops last year, but there were still some pretty big ones, most notably a wide-open touchdown against Florida that might have changed the course of what was then a 7-7 game (LSU wound up losing 23-10). He's a good receiver, one who had nearly 1,000 yards last season, but he was never quite as good as his lofty billing in college. Now he's being overhyped headed into the pros.

Underrated: Sidney Rice, South Carolina

For two straight years, Rice carried Steve Spurrier's Gamecocks offense on his back. One of those rare playmakers who can take over a game with only a couple of touches, he managed to rack up consecutive 1,000-yard seasons despite playing with average quarterbacks. Also, opposing defenses had to know Spurrier was going to try to get the ball to his star receiver at every possible opportunity.

Packnut
04-19-2007, 09:49 PM

The guy on SI.com disagrees with you:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/stewart_mandel/04/19/overrated.underrated/index.html

Wide Receiver

Overrated: Dwayne Bowe, LSU

People have been drooling over this guy since the day he stepped foot on LSU's campus, and rightfully so, seeing as he's a strong, massive receiver who can get up and grab a jump ball. There's only one problem: He drops passes. Lots of them.

Much was made of his offseason LASIK surgery a year ago, and Bowe did cut down on his drops last year, but there were still some pretty big ones, most notably a wide-open touchdown against Florida that might have changed the course of what was then a 7-7 game (LSU wound up losing 23-10). He's a good receiver, one who had nearly 1,000 yards last season, but he was never quite as good as his lofty billing in college. Now he's being overhyped headed into the pros.

Underrated: Sidney Rice, South Carolina

For two straight years, Rice carried Steve Spurrier's Gamecocks offense on his back. One of those rare playmakers who can take over a game with only a couple of touches, he managed to rack up consecutive 1,000-yard seasons despite playing with average quarterbacks. Also, opposing defenses had to know Spurrier was going to try to get the ball to his star receiver at every possible opportunity.

I'll take Todd any day of the week over Mandel as far as football opinions go. King is the ONLY SI guy I read.

Bretsky
04-19-2007, 09:54 PM
I've always like Rice better than Bowe; but I still like Meacham better than both. I'm pretty neutral on Ginn

HarveyWallbangers
04-19-2007, 09:57 PM
I've always like Rice better than Bowe; but I still like Meacham better than both. I'm pretty neutral on Ginn

I'm with you.

b bulldog
04-19-2007, 10:05 PM
Is there any O St player you don't like. IMO, Ginn will give you the most in 07 but in the long run, I have my questions.

Bretsky
04-19-2007, 10:08 PM

I'm with you.

I've been waiting for you to begin pounding the table for Ginn; the fact that you have not worried me.

I can't figure out if the guys is just straight line fast, or has some D Hester shake and bake as well.

b bulldog
04-19-2007, 10:11 PM
sTRAIGHT LINE FAST

HarveyWallbangers
04-19-2007, 10:12 PM
He's fast. He's a better route runner and pass catcher than some on here give him credit for. He's a great return man. However, he's slight. Because of that, he won't be able to go across the middle. He's probably a lot like Joey Galloway. At worst, he's a great return man, but another Peter Warrick--although with more speed. At best, maybe he bulks up and becomes a Steve Smith type (he won't be that good, but Smith had similar concerns about his size coming out).

HarveyWallbangers
04-19-2007, 10:13 PM
sTRAIGHT LINE FAST

Not sure what this means, but Ginn is not just straight line fast.

HarveyWallbangers
04-19-2007, 10:15 PM
Is there any O St player you don't like. IMO, Ginn will give you the most in 07 but in the long run, I have my questions.

Hmmm... I'm mostly indifferent on most. I like them all decent enough, but I'm not sold on any of them being stellar pros. Gonzalez is probably a 2nd WR at best, and more than likely a good 3rd WR. I like Smith in the middle rounds. I actually kind of like Pitcock. Indifferent on Datish and the rest.

b bulldog
04-19-2007, 10:17 PM
I like Pittman in our philosophy over Lynch. I love Gonzales as a 2-3. Smith is a winner and would be a decent second stringer.