PDA

View Full Version : Michael Bush

ND72
04-18-2007, 08:14 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6703096

Michael Bush is up and running, his broken right leg nearly fully healed just in time for the NFL draft.

The former Louisville running back this week took part in his first full workout since he was hurt in September, and also received a thumbs-up prognosis from James Andrews, an Alabama-based orthopedic surgeon who specializes in sports injuries.
"I reviewed an X-ray today and it looks like it is 99 percent healed," Andrews wrote in a letter dated Wednesday and obtained by The Associated Press. "I would estimate that Michael Bush will pick up in the NFL where he left off in college, and should be a top-ranked running back taken in the 2007 NFL Draft."

The letter was released by Bush's agent, Todd France, who said he is forwarding Andrews' letter, Bush's most recent X-rays and a DVD from his client's workout to all 32 NFL teams. The workout was held at Louisville on Monday and filmed by school officials, France said.

The agent hopes the updated information will clear up any doubts about Bush's status going into the draft on April 28-29.

"It's great news," said France. "It's huge. My thing was I wanted to take away any negative perceptions in people's minds where his health status is because he couldn't work out at the combine. Well, guess what, look at him now."

The highly regarded Bush broke his leg in Louisville's season-opener against Kentucky in September. He was coming off a junior season in which he ran for 1,143 yards and an NCAA-leading 23 touchdowns.

Bush applied for a medical redshirt in case he decided to come back to school, but instead opted to enter the draft.

The injury has led Bush's stock to fall in numerous draft projections, which peg him as a second- or third-round pick at best - and well behind Oklahoma's Adrian Peterson and California's Marshawn Lynch.

Before being hurt, the 6-foot-1, 251-pound Bush was noted for running with both power and speed, while also being a capable receiver. He actually came to Louisville as a quarterback.

His recovery comes about a month after Bush had a second operation during which a new rod was inserted into his leg after the bone didn't heal quickly enough from the initial surgery.

"It is remarkable how quickly this has improved," Andrews wrote. "It certainly looks much better than it did some weeks ago."

Andrews said he also was impressed after viewing the workout, noting Bush took part in 100-yard runs, multiple ladder drills, jumped rope and did 225-pound squats.

The video was not made available to The Associated Press.

Jimx29
04-18-2007, 08:20 PM
I like Bush

ND72
04-18-2007, 08:41 PM
If Green Bay is "comfortable" with Morency...I would take the "risk" if he's still there in round 2 for us. The reward with that kid could be enormous.

b bulldog
04-18-2007, 09:33 PM
I think he will be drafted in round three at the earliest.

b bulldog
04-18-2007, 09:36 PM
Morency and Bush would make a solid twosome

ND72
04-18-2007, 09:57 PM
Morency and Bush would make a solid twosome

OH man....find a stud WR and/or TE, and Favre might play another 10 years :lol:

Packnut
04-18-2007, 10:14 PM
If Green Bay is "comfortable" with Morency...I would take the "risk" if he's still there in round 2 for us. The reward with that kid could be enormous.

Bush would be a helluva 2nd rd pk. He was a stud before the injury. Total package of speed and power along with good hands.

ND72
04-18-2007, 10:28 PM
he'll go in the 2nd round. I read today that even with the "injury" thing, there was a team at the bottom of round 2 that would take him....if he does get in a pro day and shows that he's healthy...or at least ready to get on that road, he'll be a 2nd round choice no question.

Mazzin
04-18-2007, 10:29 PM
A steel rod in your leg dosen't look good for your performance on the field though. Just my 2cents

Bretsky
04-18-2007, 10:33 PM
he'll go in the 2nd round. I read today that even with the "injury" thing, there was a team at the bottom of round 2 that would take him....if he does get in a pro day and shows that he's healthy...or at least ready to get on that road, he'll be a 2nd round choice no question.

Thank you for posting this ND; this would be the kind of pick for GB I'd love.
A gamble with a ton of upside..........like Meacham :wink:

Cheers,
B

ND72
04-18-2007, 10:39 PM
A steel rod in your leg dosen't look good for your performance on the field though. Just my 2cents

i believe Woodson has one of those in his leg.

pbmax
04-18-2007, 11:41 PM
It worries me that they had to put a BIGGER rod in with a second surgery, and its only been just over a month.

Than again, if McGahee gets drafted after having three ligaments/tendons blow out in a bowl game, then maybe 2nd round isn't so crazy.

packrulz
04-19-2007, 04:53 AM
The rod in his leg is a concern, in the 2nd round TT might be better off with Irons, but I could see drafting Bush in the 3rd round. Lynch is coming to GB, so TT might draft him in the 1st round anyway.

LOUISVILLE'S OTHER TOP PICK
Attention to teams in search of running back in next weekend's NFL draft:

A leter from the noted sports orthopedic surgeon, Dr. James Andrews, was emailed to 32 teams Wednesday, stating that Louisville running back Michael Bush "is 99 percent healed" from his fractured tibia and fibula.

Michael Bush is close to 100 percent, but where he goes in the draft is anyone's guess.
Bush is the running back that was projected as a top 10 pick -- until he injured his leg. About four weeks ago, he underwent more surgery to have a larger rod placed in his leg. Teams have been concerned about whether Bush would be able to contribute this season.

Earlier this week, Bush went through a workout of 100-yard runs, ladder drills, jumping rope and 225-pound squats that helped spur Andrews to fire off his note.

"I reviewed an X-ray today and it looks like it is 99 percent healed," Andrews wrote to all 32 NFL teams. "It certainly looks much better than it did some weeks ago. It is remarkable how quickly this has improved relative to recent re-rodding."

How much faith teams have in Andrews note, and Bush's abilities, will be revealed April 28.

LYNCH MOB
Injury questions have followed Bush, and character questions have followed California running back Marshawn Lynch, a projected first-round pick.

Teams have done extra homework on Lynch, which helps explain why the running back visited Kansas City on Tuesday, Buffalo on Wednesday, and is scheduled to visit Detroit on Thursday and Green Bay on Friday.

Lynch already has visited or met with the Cleveland Browns, Baltimore Ravens, Tennessee Titans, Dallas Cowboys and Atlanta Falcons.

Teams told Lynch's agents that their character questions had been answered, and each is comfortable with what it heard. Lynch is expected to be the second running back drafted, behind Oklahoma's Adrian Peterson.

QUOTE OF THE DAY
A member of the Buccaneers front office responding to the rumored trade of Tampa Bay's No. 4 overall pick and defensive end Simeon Rice to the Lions for Detroit's No. 2 overall pick at a time when trade rumors are running rampant: "So far this week we have made three trades. And its only Wednesday."

Fritz
04-19-2007, 06:02 AM
"I reviewed an X-ray today and it looks like it is 99 percent healed," Andrews wrote in a letter dated Wednesday and obtained by The Associated Press. "I would estimate that Michael Bush will pick up in the NFL where he left off in college, and should be a top-ranked running back taken in the 2007 NFL Draft."

This part of the letter seemed a little weird. He seems to have gone a step or two beyond a medical diagnosis, into the realm of scouting. If NFL teams start paying attention to a surgeon's draft advice, maybe they'll start checking out Packerrats.

Maybe we'd better start throwing out a smokescreen, so other NFL teams don't catch on to the players touted by the Packerrats.

Let's see....ummmm...Hey Matt Millen, lots of Packerrats really really like Leon Hall, and think he's probably the best player in the draft. Gee, he's probably deserving of being the first or second pick in the draft...

KYPack
04-19-2007, 07:53 AM
Bush is an interesting package of power, speed, & good hands.

It's his running style that bothers me. A big fast guy with an upright style.

He really reminds me of Najeh Davenport. I liked Da Pooper, but you just knew he'd never stay healthy with his running style.

To me, Bush is about the same deal.

woodbuck27
04-19-2007, 04:25 PM
Bush is an interesting package of power, speed, & good hands.

It's his running style that bothers me. A big fast guy with an upright style.

He really reminds me of Najeh Davenport. I liked Da Pooper, but you just knew he'd never stay healthy with his running style.

To me, Bush is about the same deal.

Then we don't want Michael Bush. I'm sure that alot of us felt that Najeh Davenport would deliver and were disappointed.

b bulldog
04-19-2007, 09:00 PM
My bet is that Bush goes in round three at the earliest

RashanGary
04-19-2007, 09:02 PM

I'm guessing late 2

b bulldog
04-19-2007, 09:05 PM
i HEARD THIS MORNING THAT MUCH OF THIS TALK ABOUT HIM BEING CLOSE TO 100% ISD HIS AGENT trying to prop him up and he could still miss a great amount of action in 07. I would rather have a healthy Bush over Lynch.

ND72
04-19-2007, 09:08 PM

not a chance...someone later in the 2nd round will take him...Mel Kiper on the radio tonight even said a San Diego, New England, or any of those later, more established teams, might take the risk in the 2nd round.

HarveyWallbangers
04-19-2007, 09:40 PM
not a chance

You aren't very old, are you? This is the NFL draft. Anything can happen. Ernest Shazor was supposed to be a 2nd round pick by the "experts" and got taken in round 7. Stuff like that happens a lot. It's possible--especially if the bulldog's report is true about his injury.

b bulldog
04-19-2007, 10:10 PM
This time of the year who knows what to believe. The Pats don't even have a second rounder and the key word was,MIGHT.

Partial
04-19-2007, 10:49 PM

not a chance...someone later in the 2nd round will take him...Mel Kiper on the radio tonight even said a San Diego, New England, or any of those later, more established teams, might take the risk in the 2nd round.

The second? Are you kidding me? Man has a serious injury and hasn't worked out for scouts. LenDale, whom came off a monster season mind you, went bottom of two. This guy goes 4th highest in my opinion.

HarveyWallbangers
04-19-2007, 10:53 PM
Several publications have him going in round 3.

The Shadow
04-19-2007, 11:07 PM
If we dumped (ha ha) Davenport, why would we want his clone?

Brohm
04-19-2007, 11:07 PM
McGahee got snatched up by Buffalo with the 23rd pick of the first round with full knowledge he would not play for them that year due to a blown out knee (and they had Travis Henry I believe).

Some one will snatch this guy up ~mid Day 1 of the draft.

Partial
04-19-2007, 11:14 PM
McGahee got snatched up by Buffalo with the 23rd pick of the first round with full knowledge he would not play for them that year due to a blown out knee (and they had Travis Henry I believe).

Some one will snatch this guy up ~mid Day 1 of the draft.

McGahee was a rare talent, though. He should have won the heisman!

HarveyWallbangers
04-19-2007, 11:19 PM
I agree. One guy that we haven't talked about much is Brian Leonard. Much like Eric Weddle, he's a guy who is just a great all around football player. He can play RB, FB, and he's a fantastic receiver. Plus, with our scheme he fits ideally because he is such a great receiver and isn't a mauling blocker. He's a guy that could give Miree competition (likely beating him out), but also could platoon with Morency at RB, so that's added benefit. I wouldn't mind seeing us pick him, Weddle, or Pittman in round 2.

Pretty nice highlight video. He's got the William Henderson jump over would-be tacklers thing down to a science.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/prospects?rank_type=5

RashanGary
04-20-2007, 07:28 AM
Brian Leonard would be the perfect 3rd down back. He seems like he would be great at picking up blitz's and he can catch it well out of the backfield.

He'd be a good fullback in the base scheme but I think his biggest impact would come on 3rd downs and special teams; both areas of major concern on this team and both areas of major importance on any team.

It's tough to take a FB that early but he seems like the type of player that could contribute more than the traditional fullback so maybe our 2nd isn't too early.

That said, I'm sure TT has some suprises. His picks rarely make sense to the masses.

Fritz
04-20-2007, 08:07 AM
I just get a queasy feeling about those "all around" guys, like Leonard and Weddle. It's probably not justified - but it seems like they do a little of everything pretty good but not one thing really well.

The Shadow
04-20-2007, 08:54 AM
Just a thought : has anyone considered Brian Leonard as a TE?
A 'really good football player' is always an asset; maybe Leonard's best natural poaition is there.
Adding 10 - 20 pounds should not be all that difficult.

MJZiggy
04-20-2007, 09:02 AM
Adding 10 - 20 pounds should not be all that difficult.

Speak for yourself... :whist:

Guiness
04-20-2007, 09:08 AM
If I thought for 1 second he could do a Henderson like hurdle over the occasional Viking or Bear, I'd draft him just based on that :D

After watching the highlight video, I wonder if he's almost too anxious to jump - y'know, when maybe he should just be lowering the shoulder.

How fast is he? It looked like he had good breakaway speed, but maybe that was just a couple of slow defenders.

HarveyWallbangers
04-20-2007, 09:23 AM
I just get a queasy feeling about those "all around" guys, like Leonard and Weddle. It's probably not justified - but it seems like they do a little of everything pretty good but not one thing really well.

"All around" guy wasn't meant to infer less talent for these two. They both are good athletes. For Weddle, it was meant that he was a guy who played corner, safety, RB, teams. Besides being a good athlete, he also has good size. He won't be as good, but I see him being a Brian Urlacher type. A guy who dominated in a smaller conference, but a do it all type with good athleticism who people will wonder why he wasn't taken higher in 5 years. Really, the only knock is the competition he played in college. Leonard is a runner, blocker, receiver, and plays on teams also.

pittstang5
04-20-2007, 09:43 AM
I really like Leonard and would love for the Pack to get him. In some mocks earlier, I've seen him go at the end of the first to the Patriots. Now it seems he'll go somewhere in the second. I honest can't see TT, provided he doesn't accumulate any more picks in the 2nd or 3rd round, taking Leonard in the 2nd.

I hope he falls a bit like Hodge did last year and he's there in the third. If that happens, I hope TT pulls the trigger. I know his natural position maybe FB, but I'd rather have him as a RB over Herron.

Fritz
04-20-2007, 10:44 AM
Okay. I can live with that. I'm down with Weddle. Unless he doesn't work out. If that happens, I'll pretend I never wrote this post. And if he does work out, I will naturally trumpet this change-of-heart post.

Ah, the joys of being a fan.

HarveyWallbangers
04-20-2007, 11:22 AM
I see these guys on a level with Urlacher "in a sense"

Urlacher = small conference (Mountain West with New Mexico), dominant production (conference player of the year), all around athlete (played LB, S, returned kicks), great athlete (way better than people gave him credit for)

Weddle = small conference (Mountain West with Utah), dominant production (two-time conference player of theyear), all around athlete (played CB, S, RB, returned kicks, kicked), good athlete (better than people give him credit for)

Leonard = small school in a bigger conferecne (Big East with Rutgers), dominant production (all-conference all four years), all around athlete (played HB, FB, TE, and special teams), good athlete (better than people give him credit for)

The difference between them and Urlacher is Urlacher has freakish athleticism, and they have good athleticism. Urlacher went outside the top 10. Looking back, it's insane to think enough teams missed on him that he didn't go in the top 5, at least. These guys are projected to go in picks 45-70--while I think they are deserving a solid look late in round 1 or early in round 2.

HarveyWallbangers
04-20-2007, 11:23 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/draft/prospect?contentId=8791049&year=2007

While the fullback position has evolved over the years, Leonard's hard-nosed, aggressive style is reminiscent to that of former Green Bay Packers great, Jim Taylor. Not since Purdue's Mike Alstott (1991-95) has a collegiate fullback been able to determine an outcome of a game on such a consistent basis as Leonard did throughout his career. Whether breaking free for a long run, powering his way into the end zone in goal-line situations, providing a devastating block for halfback sensation Ray Rice or making the clutch catch in traffic, Leonard is the type of player defenses always need to account for.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/draft/prospect?contentId=8791191&year=2007

Despite all of the attention heaped upon big names like Paul Posluszny, Gaines Adams and Patrick Willis, among others, Weddle is the most accomplished defender in the 2007 draft. The Mountain West Conference's Defensive Player of the Year for both 2005 and 2006, Weddle has principally played cornerback and safety for the Utes. During his career, however, the versatile senior has also played quarterback, running back, punt returner, punter and held on field goals.

Weddle has been a standout throughout his career, earning conference honors of some kind each year. His senior season, however, provides a quick glimpse of his versatility. On defense, Weddle was fourth on the team in tackles, had seven interceptions, returning two for touchdowns and had two fumble recoveries, returning another for a touchdown. On offense, he ran for five touchdowns and threw for another.

In terms of his NFL future, scouts remain divided on Weddle's prospects. Most feel he'll end up at safety, as his instincts and athleticism project nicely there. Weddle would prefer cornerback and was only moved from that spot by his Utah coaches because teams were electing to throw away from him. Playing cornerback in 2005, Weddle was matched up against Georgia Tech's Calvin Johnson of in the Emerald Bowl and limited the potential top five selection to two catches for 19 yards. Weddle, not surprisingly, won the Emerald Bowl's Defensive MVP award. Against Tulsa in this year's Armed Forces Bowl, Weddle ended the game with a clinching interception, only a minute after rushing four yards for the winning touchdown.