PDA

View Full Version : Silverstein Chat : 04/19/07

motife
04-19-2007, 06:10 PM
Q: Digger of Andover - Hi Tom: Are we done chatting about Cliff now and back to debating the packers? Good. Where do you rank Ahman Green among the greatest Packer backs (modern era 1960+)? I think it has to go something like this: 1. Taylor; 2. Green; 3. Hornung; 4. Levens; 5. Brockington. That is, Green had a pretty darn good career in Green Bay, a city that went an incredibly long time without a decent back. Agree?

A: Tom Silverstein - Good afternoon everyone. Thanks for joining the chat. I'm going to try to get to as many questions as possible in my allotted hour, so let's get started. Digger -- I never get tired of talking about Cliff. But if we must talk about the Packers, so be it. I think you have the backs ranked the way I would. There's no question Taylor is No. 1. He's a Hall of Famer and even once led the team in receptions during an era when the ball wasn't thrown that much. Green and Hornung are close. Hornung didn't have as many big rushing seasons as Green, but he was extremely valuable given his versatility. I'd take Brockington over Levens because he was the first back in NFL history to gain 1,000 yards in each of his first three seasons and he did it in 14-game seasons. And I'm not sure I wouldn't rate Edgar Bennett equal with Levens given all the different things he offered (ball security, blocking, receiving).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: Jack of Denver - Tom, Why haven't the Packers tried to trade Favre? It's obvious Tommy's hole plan was to build through the draft and not sign big name free agents to win now. Keeping Favre has cost the team a chance at Reggie Bush, probably a top ten pick this year, plus whatever they could have gotten for Favre. Do you think he just didn't have the courage to get rid of Favre?

A: Tom Silverstein - Jack -- Trade Favre? Why? Just because you're rebuilding doesn't mean you have to lose. How many of those young players do you think are benefiting from playing with someone as competitive as Favre? How many of them are being influenced by his on-the-field leadership? Unless, they've got Vince Young or JaMarcus Russell, they're not going to get better quarterback play out of a rookie. How many Super Bowl-winning teams have there been with rookie quarterbacks? Or even second- or third-year guys? Other than Roethlisberger and Brady, there haven't been a whole lot.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: Kimberly of Sheboygan, Wi - Mr. Silverstein, What are you hearing about the Randy Moss rumors?

A: Tom Silverstein - Not much at all. It's a dead issue until the Raiders decide on the No. 1 pick. Something could be done right before, or during the draft, but my money is on it remaining status quo for awhile.
Q: Jamie E. of Milwaukee of thee Wisconsin - Tom, from your understanding of Ted Thompson, which picks do you believe he'll trade to acquire more picks? I truly think Adrian Peterson is the only "sure" back in the draft, so he should just take the best player available at any position with #1. He can grab Michael Bush in the 2nd or 3rd. I believe he may trade the 3rd, but now way do I believe he won't be trading down starting in the 4th. Honestly, what's the real value of a 3rd round pick on down when Sherman was wasted it on BJ Sander and Shanahan took a chance with Maurice Clarett? We've had a ton of arguments on this message board about the worth of a high first round pick, but what's the difference in value between a 3rd and a 6th? It seems like after the first two (or even the 1st), all of the rest of the players seem like "hit or miss". If so, Ted Thompson is VERY smart for understanding the obvious. More late round draft picks mean an increase in your overall odds of landing a "hit".

A: Tom Silverstein - The value of third round picks is immense. Maybe not as great as those in the first half of the first round, but consider what Ron Wolf did with third-round picks: Robert Brooks, Earl Dotson, William Henderson, Brian Williams, Antonio Freeman, Mike Flanagan, Tyrone Williams, Mike McKenzie. Just because Sherman squandered the picks and Shanahan did something incredibly stupid doesn't diminish the importance of those picks. The only way I see Thompson trading the third is if he wants the first or second pick in the fourth so he can reshuffle his board after Saturday. I think Thompson will do some dealing and I wouldn't be surprised if he moves down in the first round. But he doesn't need a lot of picks because he has so many young players as it is.
Q: Bill of Chicago - Tom, a lot of people have suggested that the Pack need help at WR, perhaps a big receiver to complement Driver. As a result, Moss' name has come up, but some observers have suggested that the Raiders intend to hold onto him. My question is, do you think that given the level of interest Moss showed last year, the Raiders want him back at his salary? Is that possible? Isn't this just another situation where a team tries to trade a veteran, asks for way too much, then trades him for very little (6th or 7th round pick) after the market has determined his value?

A: Tom Silverstein - I do think there are people in the Raiders organization who want Moss gone. But the only opinion that matters is Al Davis'. And I just can't see him giving Moss up for a sixth or a seventh. Plus, if you're going to do that, why not take your chances and see if he gets released. That way you don't have to inherit his $10 million salary and you can negotiate a new deal that includes protection against bad behavior.
Q: Jan Mandel of Phoenix - I am keeping my fingers crossed that Thompson makes a last minute play for Turner, to at least add someone who could have immediate large impact on offense. But it looks like he is expecting several unproven players granted with potential to step up big. I see some potential at wide receiver, and running back..but you risk and chance the whole season on the unproven it seems on several key positions, Running back, full back, receiver, tight end...I guess that is what bugs me the most about Thompson is he is to one sided..nothing like Wolf who he learned from. By the time he gets a team together Favre will retire, then the Team will suffer without a QB.

A: Tom Silverstein - No one's going to meet San Diego's demands until they're sure they can't get someone in the draft. It's possible a deal could be made before the first-round is through, but right now San Diego figures it's in the driver's seat and can continue asking for a lot. If the draft passes without a deal, it's still possible something could be worked out with future picks. But I doubt it will involve Green Bay.
Q: Mr. Know-It-All of Lunatic Fringe, WI - Hi Tom, Have you heard whether the Packers have any interest in trading for Michael Turner, Ladell Betts or Kris Jenkins? I've heard rumors about all three possibly being available, and any of them would improve the club.

A: Tom Silverstein - I don't think there has been a lot of interest in those three players. Thompson hates trading draft picks and there are no signs he's enamored with any of those three.
Q: Andrew of Los Angeles - Hi Tom, during Cliff Christl's last chat he complimented you as one of the best sportswriter he worked with. What was he like as a colleague of yours? Is he the same grumpy old guy with a chip on the shoulder type (as people came to know him on the chat)? What's Ted Thompson's plan for the upcoming draft - go for the best athlete or go for need or trade up/down? Thanks a lot!

A: Tom Silverstein - Cliff was way too kind with his assessment. But I appreciate it. Cliff is stubborn. That's the best way I can describe him. He won't back down from anything and he'll ask the toughest questions in order to get to the truth. I would trade a lot to have those qualities. But don't mistake his impatience on chats as a reflection of his friendliness. I joked with him constantly, made fun of him when he got too cranky and told him when I thought he was off his rocker. He gave me great advice and always spoke honestly with me. I'll miss that. As for Thompson's plan, I think the only thing you can say for sure is that he will take the best player available. If two players are of equal value, then he'd probably draft for need. I think he'll explore trading down, but he doesn't want to go too far because there's a drop off at around 22 or 23.
Q: Andy of Milwaukee - Looking at the Packers record from last year, the fact that Brett Favre is back yet again, and their schedule for this year; do you think this will be, once again, a year where the packers start slow, get better but still not reach the playoffs?

A: Tom Silverstein - They shouldn't start slow. Not with four of six at home. If they do, they're sunk because they've got a stretch where they play four of five on the road late in the year. I think McCarthy is doing everything he can to get them off and running early. He's talked about laying off some in training camp for that very reason. If they start slow, they're toast.
Q: Jeff of Minneapolis - This past year, Cullen Jenkins made a big jump from being a promising young rotation guy to a key contributor on defense. The Packers are heavily stocked with young players who, like Jenkins, went undrafted or released from other teams. Are there any of the Packers' young players who have potential to make a similar jump from obscurity to become a key contributor? Or are they all just what they seem to be so far: career end-of-the-bench players?

A: Tom Silverstein - It depends which guys you're talking about. I think they've picked up a couple of young players who can help them a lot. Shaun Bodiford and Carlyle Holiday, both receivers, could emerge as better-than-average players. I think defensive tackle Johnny Jolly could be a surprise. Same with tight end Zac Alcorn. These guys aren't sure things and they could wind up being nothing, but they've all shown enough to justify the Packers taking a chance on them.
Q: MARK K LAING of HALES CORNERS - If the TE from Miami - Greg Olsen and the RB from California - Marshaun Lynch are both available when the Packers are selecting at #16 - who do you believe they should choose? Thanks! MKL

A: Tom Silverstein - If you're limiting it just to those two, I'd take Lynch. Olsen tests well and can stretch the field, but he can't block, so you might as well just draft a wide receiver. I don't know if the Packers think he can develop into a good blocker, but he didn't show that at Miami. Lynch isn't a sure thing either. I don't know if his style fits what the Packers do in their zone system. He doesn't have the same explosiveness as Ahman Green and probably dances more than the Packers like. But he was productive in college and probably would be productive in the NFL.
Q: Big Jay of Southwest YMCA - Why are you such a garbage player?

A: Tom Silverstein - Do you mean I'm good at cleaning up underneath the basket or are you referring to the inside of my car?
Q: Bret of PORTAGE - Hi Tom, Do you think that the Packers would make a run at Dante Hall, if the Chiefs do release him? I think the toll that the season took on Woodson it would be hard to ask him to be returning balls again this year? Thanks, Bret

A: Tom Silverstein - I think that would be something worth investigating, for sure. Hall is still a threat as a returner and could be a Desmond Howard. But I think they like Bodiford a lot and are hoping he becomes their full-time returner.
Q: Russ M of Sarasota, FL - This maybe less a question than a statement. I hope it brings some honest response. My business background has always been aggressive-competitive-contrasted to passive. Feeling is the latter only leads to mediocrity. Query;can the GB survive at best a perpetual 8-8 Season? I am still proud to hold shares and a brick but would sure like a GM with more aggression!!

A: Tom Silverstein - If the Packers continually go 8-8 after Favre retires, you will see some response in the community. They're still going to sell out the stadium, but I guarantee you that when Favre retires, their popularity with the networks will evaporate if they aren't a winning team. What's more, sales in their pro shop and in the atrium will drop if they continue to be mediocre. Thompson has to build the team his way and I don't know that I fault him for passing on a weak free-agent class. But he better win because that's how he's going to be judged.
Q: Neal Richter of Highland, NY - Hi Tom .... I keep reading that Donald Lee has tremendous athletic ability. If that's true, could he be the answer for our pass-catching TE needs? If not -- why not......

A: Tom Silverstein - The if not is, why didn't he show up last year? He was totally invisible after having a reasonably good year the previous season. I think he's a complimentary player at best. If I were the Packers I wouldn't pin my hopes on him being more than a backup.
Q: Bill of Milwaukee - Tom do you believe in drafting by need or picking the best player available? Also is Marviel Underwood showing signs of recovery?

A: Tom Silverstein - I think circumstances dictate how you draft. Now, I'm not a personnel evaluator, I'm an observer, and I can only tell you what I learned from watching Ron Wolf for all those years. He took his shots and went after need in some instances. He identified players he really wanted and went after them. But he only did that in certain cases, and a lot of times it cost him. He did so well beyond the first round because he was true to his board and took the best player available. There are times need outweighs everything else, but not often. As for Underwood, I've been told his rehab is going well and that he will be ready for the start of training camp.
Q: Jocko of Forest Lake, Mn. - Seeing as how T.T. has been so quiet in the free agent market, G.B. looks to be counting on great improvements from their current roster of players. What sets Green Bay's off-season program apart from the rest of the league's programs that will account for more improvement than other teams will see from their off season conditioning programs?

A: Tom Silverstein - That's a good question. It's hard to say if the Packers are doing things better than the rest of the league. Personally, I doubt it. I think there are only so many ways you can lift a weight or run a sprint. What matters the most is how committed the players are to getting in shape and how much room there is for development. You can bring in a 170-pound weakling and work him out three times a day, but he's not going to turn into Tarzan. Your players better be good athletes to begin with and they better not have maxed out physically.
Q: Dave of Kenosha - Tom, What seems to be the Packers biggest need in the draft is running back, but with the less than stellar performance by Lynch in the combine along with his questionable off the field problems, is this the way to go or is there someone else here that can fill other needs they have? Thanks.

A: Tom Silverstein - I think they're better off waiting until the second round and dipping into the next tier of running backs. They stand a chance of getting a very good defensive player at No. 16, possibly a very athletic cornerback, so if they can do that, they'll still have time to get a running back. And I think you'll see Thompson take more than one. I don't think they have to be locked into Lynch just because he's the No. 2 back in the draft.
Q: PHOF of Shelbyville, Ind. - Isn't it true that your rapper name is Lil Spoon?

A: Tom Silverstein - No, that was my infant name. I outgrew that in the second grade when I started eating my cereal with a shovel.
Q: Nathanial of Aurora, CO - Why is Thompson not getting quality people out of free agency to protect Favre. Does he really want to win or is he just waiting for Favre to leave.

A: Tom Silverstein - Who do you suggest for offensive linemen? He just used three draft picks on linemen, so it would be pretty dumb to spend a lot of money on a veteran. I do think it wouldn't have hurt him to add a veteran for depth, but he seems pretty confident that young guys like Tony Palmer, Josh Bourke and Junius Coston are more than just flotsam.
Q: Chad Roulette of Milwaukee - This Monday, the Silver Spring House softball team posted an impressive 25-9 victory. Do you think the result had more to do with an improved lineup or weaker competition? Is this the year SSH finally takes the muni league title?

A: Tom Silverstein - I think SSH should declare itself the undefeated champion and begin celebrating with pretzels, beer and chicken fingers for Ray.
Q: Don of Dallas - I'm wondering why draft folks and scouts are so high on Peterson who averaged a full yard per carry LESS than Lynch? That spread existed for three straight years. Is one or the other over/under rated or what am I missing?

A: Tom Silverstein - Peterson is big, strong and powerful. Statistics don't mean much in college. You just don't find a lot of running backs with Pederson's combination of size and speed. He can run between the tackles, which is vital in the NFL. He doesn't need to bounce everything outside to be successful. I do think his injury history raises a red flag, however. He hasn't been able to stay healthy and that's something that could remain constant during his career.
Q: Peter Schwartz of Fond du Lac - How many of the allotted 30 prospect visits do the Packers use and who have they brought in this year before the draft?

A: Tom Silverstein - They don't announce which players they bring in for visits, but it's likely they used all 30. They limit their visits mostly to players with injury or character issues and those late-round / free agent types who didn't go to the combine and thus weren't interviewed. I can't imagine Thompson bringing in the player he intends to pick in the first round.
Q: Geoff Green of Winnipeg - Hi Tom, What is the Packers salary cap situation right now? Is it $14 million? Thanks

A: Tom Silverstein - Yes, that's correct.
Q: Matt of Rockford, IL - With the 2nd year of a zone blocking system do you see an improved system that will allow the Packers to plug in just about any RB and be successful, as the Broncos have done. If so, wouldn't it make sense to address other positions with the 1st and 2nd round picks. All intangibles being equal, I think Ted Ginn, Jr. would make the biggest impact for Pack next year. You have world class speed as a 3rd wideout and a return man. My vote is for Ted Ginn, Jr.

A: Tom Silverstein - I think that's ultimately the goal, but that's not going to happen this year. I think it takes time to establish that system to where you can be successful with someone other than an elite back. They're still going to need a big-time back.
Q: Hank of Monroe WI - With the schedule we have does 8&8 sound reasonable or can we hope for better?

A: Tom Silverstein - It's too early to tell for that, Hank. I'd be just throwing a number out there. I'm not sure I could come close to predicting that at the start of the regular season.
Q: Cory of No St Paul - Packers safety Manuel can not be matched up man on man with receivers. Who do you think will start at ss this year? What are Manuel's chances of coming on strong this year? Underwood is slow also isn't he? Thanks have a good day

A: Tom Silverstein - You're right about Manuel. He's an in-the-box safety and you don't want him matched up with anybody. Underwood has better range, but who knows how the knee injury will impact him. I think that safety position is wide open, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was addressed in the draft.
Q: Daveyboy of Wrightstown - Tom, Admittedly, draft speculation is the perfect idle fodder for idiot Packer fans like me. In other words, I know as much about these players as I read here and on various mock drafts and whatever is on the internet. So, with that background of incomplete information and NFL teams subterfuge, I submit the Packers may be best off grabbing one of the safeties, Nelson--or Landry if he drops....or a wide receiver rather than Lynch. Safety and Wide Receiver seem the deeper, safer positions while they should be able to find better running back options in rounds 2-3-4......so, how ill informed am I??

A: Tom Silverstein - I don't think you're off base at all. As I said earlier in the chat, I think they can get a better player at 16 than Lynch.
Q: Mike B. of Apple Valley, MN - Tom, what does JSonline plan to do to fill CC's considerable shoes? Although he wasn't my favorite columnist, he did a lot of good work--with the blogs and far more chats than anyone else. Will there be a daily training camp blog now that CC is gone? Chats after every game and major happening (ie. draft day 1 and 2)?

A: Tom Silverstein - We're still figuring all that out, Mike. It's not easy to replace a legend. But by training camp we'll be giving you all the stuff you got before.
Q: Vince of Hong Kong - Tom: Bucky is at Michigan's 3 yard line this fall with 11 seconds to go in the game and the Badgers down by five. What are the chances Coach Bielema will run the Dave McClain Memorial Double Reverse (1986, Iowa), except actually score this time. Yay! Bucky wins! The Double Reverse Rules Once Again!

A: Tom Silverstein - What in the heck are you doing in Hong Kong, and are you playing basketball anymore?
Q: Jim of Sandusky - Tom, Is it possible that in this day and age when a lot of teams use the draft to fill holes they missed in free agency, that an old school guy like Thompson can build a strong team almost entirely through the draft faster than most because he is a better talent evaluator? What I mean is this. In the 60s to early 90s the great teams like Pittsburgh and san Francisco built dynasties exclusively through the draft with a trade or 2 thrown in. Most teams tried to emulate that but now it seems most go the short cut route and try to build with other team's second hand players. Meanwhile Thompson keeps trading down and accumulating picks and young talent. So is it possible in the near future he will have a top team of young stars built through the old school process and the other teams will be caught off guard because they were building with bad foundations?

A: Tom Silverstein - You raise a good point, Jim. Those teams did build through the draft, but they also had no choice. There was no free agency. They kept players as long as they wanted them and developed chemistry over the years. I think that's still the basis for building a winner, but you've got to use whatever means are available to build your team. You can't limit yourself to just one avenue. I thought Thompson did a good job of that last year with Woodson and Pickett, but there just weren't many quality free agents out there that weren't demanding huge amounts of money. Still, Thompson isn't near as aggressive as Wolf was in acquiring talent through trades and free agency and I think that's hurting the development of the team. Well folks, I'm at the end of my time limit. I enjoyed all the questions and I hope that if I didn't answer your question last time, I will be able to next time.

BooHoo
04-19-2007, 06:57 PM
Thanks for posting this chat. I always enjoy reading about the Pack, especially just prior to the draft.

packrulz
04-19-2007, 07:20 PM
Thanks motife, I've missed your posts lately. Good stuff.

b bulldog
04-19-2007, 08:50 PM
Does anyone like Lynch??

HarveyWallbangers
04-19-2007, 09:20 PM
Who was the dude on here that is in love with Lynch?

I'm leaning towards Meachem or Nelson if they are available.

HarveyWallbangers
04-19-2007, 09:23 PM
Although I wonder if Thompson would have reservations about drafting a dumb guy to pair with Collins. I still see a WR in the first round. I'd love to get a guy like Weddle in round 2.

Florida junior Reggie Nelson and Miami's Brandon Meriweather both have first-round talent, as well. But both have questions that remain unanswered.

Nelson's an outstanding athlete, but has an injury history and won't win a lot of I.Q. contests.

"They keep it very simple for him at Florida," the NFC scout said of Nelson. "He's not a dumb kid, but they don't ask him to do very much."

Meriweather is extremely versatile and could also play some cornerback. But Meriweather was at the center of Miami's brawl with Florida International last season, and also fired a gun at an assailant three times last summer.

"I don't think (Meriweather) is a turd," the AFC scout said. "I don't think he's a great kid by any means. But he's not (Tennessee cornerback) Pac Man Jones either."

RashanGary
04-19-2007, 09:27 PM
Who was the dude on here that is in love with Lynch?

I'm leaning towards Meachem or Nelson if they are available.

packerpro42..

I like him too but I don't think it's possible to like him as much as that other guy.

b bulldog
04-19-2007, 10:14 PM
I'd be OK with Meachem or Nelson but I think we could probably trade down and get similiar talent in the mid twenti as we will get at 16.

Fritz
04-21-2007, 08:45 AM
Glad to hear that merriwether is not a turd.