PDA

View Full Version : Sorry for the rehash - Julius Jones value

Spaulding
04-20-2007, 11:37 AM
Just wondering if there is much of a agreed value of Julius Jones being a player that Thompson might trade for as per the Dallas Morning News:

Anything Dallas does regarding Julius Jones has nothing to do with salary-cap space. They have plenty of cap room to do whatever they want. They don't think he's an elite runner. They're likely going to ship him off on draft day.

With this being said, what is he worth? A 4th rounder given that Edge and Shaun Alexander didn't even command 1st round offers?

Since Thompson doesn't like to part with draft picks, any chance we ship player(s) and a later draft pick for him? What players might Big D want? KGB, Fergie, etc. - I don't see any on our roster they'd want or that we'd want to part with.

I guess in my eyes I given the possibility of insurance and his proven ability to be at least a decent starter in the NFL would warrant our mid 4th round draft choice but no higher.

Any thoughts? Just bored and anxious for the draft and since I'm an addict of this site, scraping for anything to discuss.

pittstang5
04-20-2007, 11:59 AM
Intersting concept.

Is Jones worth a 4th. No doubt, but like you said, I doubt TT will part with such a pick. As for the players you mentioned - I doubt Dallas would be interested in Fergie or KGB.

Fergie can't stay healthy and when he was healthy, he didn't show much more than being a #3 or #4 receiver. Sure, he was ok on Special teams, but that only goes so far. He's goning to have to prove something in the mini-camps and TC in order to stick around. Martin, Bodiford, Holliday and if TT drafts another WR are going to be pushing for a roster spot. If anyone is interested in Fergie (which I doubt), they'll wait to see if he's released.

KGB doesn't fit the 3-4 system that Dallas has been running and with Wade Phillips as their coach, they'll continue to run. He'd have to be an OLB, and he would suck at that position. I also think that they're going to see what KGB can do this year when he's not playing every down. Granted his salary is high, but if KGB hit the market in today's salary cap, teams would be paying more for a situational pass rusher.

If I'm not mistaken, Dallas would be looking for OL and DL help and the Packers have some players that they could "get rid of." Barry would fit Dallas' running scheme and could probably play guard or RT. On the D-line, Cole would be the only D-line player that, imo, I really wouldn't mind letting go. However, does Cole fit their D system? Could he be a NT or would he have to switch to DE?

Cole and Barry for Jones - just doesn't seem like much value for a starting RB.

I'd like to have Jones - it would sure up the RB situation and make me feel comfortable about the upcoming season, but I don't see TT doing anything about it.

HarveyWallbangers
04-20-2007, 01:18 PM
Rumors are that it would take a 3rd to get him.

ND72
04-20-2007, 02:47 PM
I actually heard on the radio this morning, that if he's not traded by draft day, it might only take a 7th rounder for Dallas to part with him...we have 2 we could part ways with. And I don't care who you are, a 7th rounder is worth what Julius Jones could bring to the table.

Spaulding
04-20-2007, 04:52 PM
ND, given Jones is an ex golden domer, any specifics on what his warts might be? Seems to be a bit injury prone and lack that final gear but overall a very solid runner. It's a mystery to me why when most teams are looking for two backs to handle the load that Dallas is still looking to move him when they could continue to pair with Maroney and have solid depth in case of injury.

ND72
04-20-2007, 10:24 PM
I really like Julius Jones. His "injury" history in Dallas, I feel, were because he is a typical zone runner, in a power running offense that the Tuna ran. At ND, in the true zone system, he was amazing. He's patient, and has great vision. A lot of people say he is the same as Morency, which, eh...yeah I can see that...but he runs a bit more lower to the ground nad down hill compared to MOrency. Morency stands up a lot when he runs. I think Jones would be a great fit for what we're doing.

retailguy
04-20-2007, 10:33 PM
I actually heard on the radio this morning, that if he's not traded by draft day, it might only take a 7th rounder for Dallas to part with him...we have 2 we could part ways with. And I don't care who you are, a 7th rounder is worth what Julius Jones could bring to the table.

I find this intriguing, but oh so unlikely. Great speculation though!