PDA

View Full Version : Amobi Okoye

Brando19
04-21-2007, 04:28 PM
Defensive tackle Amobi Okoye skipped two grades in school, started high school as a 12-year-old, and arrived on the Louisville campus at 16. He graduated with a degree in psychology in 3 1/2 years. Okoye took the leap his senior season from solid player to impact player. It's that potential for growth that has NFL scouts drooling.

Wow...this guy must be a genius!

]{ilr]3
04-21-2007, 05:02 PM
Seems like the is one of or the youngest player to be drafted (or will be) in the NFL.

esoxx
04-21-2007, 05:18 PM
Glad he'll be gone by the time the Packers pick.

GrnBay007
04-21-2007, 05:19 PM
... took up the sport as a sophomore, knowing next to nothing about the game ... started 13 games on the defensive line as a 13-year-old ... played both ways, earning honorable mention all-state honors as a junior ... logged 60 tackles and nine sacks, earning first-team All-State honors on both sides of the ball as a senior.

Pretty freaky. Wish him well!

PaCkFan_n_MD
04-21-2007, 06:02 PM

Why?

Lurker64
04-21-2007, 06:15 PM

Why?

It's a classic example of "potential", but in his favor:

1) He's a high character guy, and very mature.
2) He's quite strong and plays the run well.
3) He's quick off the ball and can penetrate inside.
4) He's already shown that he can be a terror against NFL caliber offensive linemen (c.f. the Senor Bowl.)
5) He has excellent measurables for a DT.
6) He'll be a 20 year old rookie in the NFL so not only is he going to get better as he gets stronger and improves his technique with continued exposure to the game, but he's got a whole lot left in the tank.

Almost certainly a top 10 pick. He has the potential to be amazing, but potential doesn't always produce results. Still, one of the 15 teams in front of us will almost certainly be enamored with the fact that if he realizes that potential he could be a rare Reggie White type player (Physically dominant, quick, high character, good technique) that they're going to snap him up. Really, most of the knocks against him are the sorts of thing that good coaching and effort on his part can correct.

ND72
04-21-2007, 07:01 PM
when most guys are entering the draft, Okoye will already be entering his 2nd, maybe 3rd year in the pro's. He could slim down and play DE, or bulk up and play DT. I would take him over Gaines Adams, or even Mario Williams. He was solid his entire senior year...his junior year he started slow/quiet, but ended with a roar, which lead into his senior year. He'll be solid. I generally don't like any of this years 1st round defensive line players, but I'd take him right behind Johnson, Russell, Quinn, & Peterson. my top 5 would actually be Johnson, Peterson, Quinn, Okoye, Russell.

PaCkFan_n_MD
04-21-2007, 07:07 PM
when most guys are entering the draft, Okoye will already be entering his 2nd, maybe 3rd year in the pro's. He could slim down and play DE, or bulk up and play DT. I would take him over Gaines Adams, or even Mario Williams. He was solid his entire senior year...his junior year he started slow/quiet, but ended with a roar, which lead into his senior year. He'll be solid. I generally don't like any of this years 1st round defensive line players, but I'd take him right behind Johnson, Russell, Quinn, & Peterson. my top 5 would actually be Johnson, Peterson, Quinn, Okoye, Russell.

I agree, I don't really see a negative with this guy. The only thing you can say about him is will he live up to potential? But you can say that about everyone in the draft.

TennesseePackerBacker
04-21-2007, 07:31 PM
I can't believe noone mentioned the fact that he admitted to teams that were interviewing him that he has smoked marijuana before. Not that it matters, I'd love the Pack to draft him.

Scott Campbell
04-21-2007, 07:34 PM
He's footballs version of Doogie Howser.

PaCkFan_n_MD
04-21-2007, 07:40 PM
I can't believe noone mentioned the fact that he admitted to teams that were interviewing him that he has smoked marijuana before. Not that it matters, I'd love the Pack to draft him.

I don't think its that big a deal, he did it once when he was 16. Hell I did it once and never did it again.

ND72
04-21-2007, 07:53 PM

Calvin Johnson admitted it as well.

Partial
04-21-2007, 09:57 PM

He has potential but he isn't in the same athletic class as a Gaines Adams or a Mario Williams. That said, I don't like Clemson players so I'd take him over Adams, but never, ever, ever in a million years over a freak like Mario(hopefully not) Mamula.

ND72
04-21-2007, 10:05 PM
He has potential but he isn't in the same athletic class as a Gaines Adams or a Mario Williams. That said, I don't like Clemson players so I'd take him over Adams, but never, ever, ever in a million years over a freak like Mario(hopefully not) Mamula.

You're right...cause he's above their class of play. Mario was a combine freak, but everythign that I read last year seemed to so far be 100% true...can't get off blocks, gets swallowed up by top level play...etc.etc....Mario would have been a bust no matter what team drafted him. There's no debate here, Mario IS the next Mike Mamula.

Partial
04-21-2007, 10:16 PM

You're right...cause he's above their class of play. Mario was a combine freak, but everythign that I read last year seemed to so far be 100% true...can't get off blocks, gets swallowed up by top level play...etc.etc....Mario would have been a bust no matter what team drafted him. There's no debate here, Mario IS the next Mike Mamula.

I think you'll be eating those words. That is ridiculous to say. He was far from a bust last year, when everyone even said it would take him time to become seasoned. I value your opinion but to that I say this:

Okoye Total: 48 games played 121 tackles(assists included) 23.0 tfl 10.5 sacks
Mario Total: 36 games played 126 solo 55.5 tfl 25.5 sacks

Mario's stats dominated him in every category while playing lesser games. In terms of athleticness, Mario is better. In terms of production, Mario is better. How exactly is this guy a better prospect again?

LL2
04-21-2007, 10:37 PM

I think you'll be eating those words. That is ridiculous to say. He was far from a bust last year, when everyone even said it would take him time to become seasoned. I value your opinion but to that I say this:

Mario's stats dominated him in every category while playing lesser games. In terms of athleticness, Mario is better. In terms of production, Mario is better. How exactly is this guy a better prospect again?

Yes, but Mario was a DE and wasn't Okoye a DT in college. They don't get all the sacks and high numbers like a DE would. It's an apples and oranges comparision.

HarveyWallbangers
04-21-2007, 10:37 PM
Too early to call Williams a bust. He wasn't bad, and he'll get better. My gut feeling is that he'll end up being a good DE, but I don't think he'll ever live up to being drafted ahead of Bush, Cutler, Leinart, Young. I think he'll end up having a career similar to Hawk. Some Pro Bowls. Good career. Not a legend.

Partial
04-21-2007, 10:39 PM

Yes, but Mario was a DE and wasn't Okoye a DT in college. They don't get all the sacks and high numbers like a DE would. It's an apples and oranges comparision.

They should get more tackles since college is primarily a running game. Secondly, they should get a lot behind the line of scrimmage if they are truly as beastily as one claims. They aren't playing 320 lbs guys every week like they will in the NFL. This guy is more of a DE than a DT to me in the pros and he doesn't have the speed to be a top-flight passrusher. He will be more of a kampman, not that that is a bad thing by any means, but he doesn't have the potential to be a stud.

ahaha
04-22-2007, 09:36 AM
He will be more of a kampman, not that that is a bad thing by any means, but he doesn't have the potential to be a stud.

No potential? Are you kidding? This kid is only 19!!!!! He's faced tremendous challenges in his life (academically and on the football field) and succeeded in a big way. This guy is a phenom. Where were Warren Sapp, Richard Seymor, Tommie Harris, or any dominant DT in the last 50 years at the age of 19? Certainly not on the cusp of being a top ten draft pick. Most were probably red-shirting or playing minor roles on their respective college teams. To say this kid doesn't have the potential to be dominant in the NFL is absurd.

Also, comparing his stats to Williams is totally unfair. A DE usually gets more numbers, especially when he has another first round pick(Manny Lawson) on the other side, and another NFL prospect at DT. What NFL talent did Okoye have on that D-Line to force teams not to game plan solely around him?

ND72
04-22-2007, 10:51 AM

I think it was stated, but Mario Played DE, Okoye was a DT...and, 3 of the 4 DL guys for NC STate were taken in round 1 last year(Lawson & McCargo...oh and Tank Tyler is probably a possible 1st rounder also). How many Louisville DL guys have you seen taken lately? PLUS...Mario had 1 good College year, when honestly more teams were more worried about Manny Lawson, than him. Sorry, but I just don't see anything out of Mario. I saw 2 games of the Texans last year, and the only time I heard his name was during the starting lineup intro...and when he got PANCAKED by the Titans LT, who I don't even know who that is. I know it's early to call him a bust, but I'll throw that label on him. He'll probably average like 8 sacks a year...whoopy, so could Cullen Jenkins, and he was a rookie free agent.

And in terms of athleticness? I personally think Okoye is a better athlete. The fact that he can be 320, and run just as fast as he did at the senior bowl when he showed up at 299, tells me a ton. Okoye WILL have more of an imediate impact than Mario did.

OH, while it's on my mind, someone said he'll have a Hawk like career, solid but nothing spectacular...you're kidding, right? Hawk was arguably our best player on defense last year, and he's the type that will only get better, and push himself to improve. Hawk will be the face of our team as soon as Brett leaves. Mario will NEVER be the face of the Texans.

GrnBay007
04-22-2007, 11:58 AM
Hawk will be the face of our team as soon as Brett leaves. Mario will NEVER be the face of the Texans.

Post Favre, I could see Hawk being to the Packers what Urlacher has been to the Bears

Joemailman
04-22-2007, 12:02 PM
Hawk will be the face of our team as soon as Brett leaves. Mario will NEVER be the face of the Texans.

Post Favre, I could see Hawk being to the Packers what Urlacher has been to the Bears

Nah. Paris Hilton wouldn't like Green Bay.

ND72
04-22-2007, 12:36 PM

Nah. Paris Hilton wouldn't like Green Bay.

:lol: The Serreal Life: Green Bay

Partial
04-22-2007, 06:34 PM
He will be more of a kampman, not that that is a bad thing by any means, but he doesn't have the potential to be a stud.

No potential? Are you kidding? This kid is only 19!!!!! He's faced tremendous challenges in his life (academically and on the football field) and succeeded in a big way. This guy is a phenom. Where were Warren Sapp, Richard Seymor, Tommie Harris, or any dominant DT in the last 50 years at the age of 19? Certainly not on the cusp of being a top ten draft pick. Most were probably red-shirting or playing minor roles on their respective college teams. To say this kid doesn't have the potential to be dominant in the NFL is absurd.

Also, comparing his stats to Williams is totally unfair. A DE usually gets more numbers, especially when he has another first round pick(Manny Lawson) on the other side, and another NFL prospect at DT. What NFL talent did Okoye have on that D-Line to force teams not to game plan solely around him?

Not in college.

He is a good player who gets the best out of his body. But every now and then there is a rare freak (JaMarcus Russell, Calvin Johnson, Mario Williams, Vernon Davis, etc)

Partial
04-22-2007, 06:40 PM

I think it was stated, but Mario Played DE, Okoye was a DT...and, 3 of the 4 DL guys for NC STate were taken in round 1 last year(Lawson & McCargo...oh and Tank Tyler is probably a possible 1st rounder also). How many Louisville DL guys have you seen taken lately? PLUS...Mario had 1 good College year, when honestly more teams were more worried about Manny Lawson, than him. Sorry, but I just don't see anything out of Mario. I saw 2 games of the Texans last year, and the only time I heard his name was during the starting lineup intro...and when he got PANCAKED by the Titans LT, who I don't even know who that is. I know it's early to call him a bust, but I'll throw that label on him. He'll probably average like 8 sacks a year...whoopy, so could Cullen Jenkins, and he was a rookie free agent.

And in terms of athleticness? I personally think Okoye is a better athlete. The fact that he can be 320, and run just as fast as he did at the senior bowl when he showed up at 299, tells me a ton. Okoye WILL have more of an imediate impact than Mario did.

OH, while it's on my mind, someone said he'll have a Hawk like career, solid but nothing spectacular...you're kidding, right? Hawk was arguably our best player on defense last year, and he's the type that will only get better, and push himself to improve. Hawk will be the face of our team as soon as Brett leaves. Mario will NEVER be the face of the Texans.

The guys of NCState were taken in the first round due to being the benefactor of having a stud around them. Teams that have 4 first-round talent guys on their dline are in BCS games; NC State was not. They had 1 premiere guy, and 3 adequate guys whos stats are inflated from being single-teamed (if teamed at all) when the stud is triple-quadruple teamed.

Running OK at 320 and OK at 299 is not impressive. He doesn't have outstanding measurables. He isn't nearly as quick as a Tommy Harris. It's not to say he won't be a great player, Kampman is a great player and he doesn't have the measurables or isn't the premiere athlete, but he gets it done.

Mario also did quite a bit of lining up at OLB and DT for the Wolfpack. He's much more versatile with his athleticism.

Okoye kinda strikes me as a tweener. For awhile he was underrated, now he is definitely overrated. Top 15 sure, but not top 8.

Guiness
04-22-2007, 07:23 PM
I also don't much like Okoye - but for a different reason: I think he's too young, the pressure and position will get to him and he'll flame out.

BUT I disagree that he doesn't have the tools, or isn't a freak. Come on, he's playing Div-I at 19yrs old? Has anyone every done that? (you could ask if anyone should to that...). Simply to be able to do that he has to be a freak...