PDA

View Full Version : Favre will be at ALL minicamps

MadtownPacker
04-28-2006, 02:10 AM
Favre will be at minicamp (http://www.packersnews.com/archives/news/pack_25780069.shtml)

By Pete Dougherty
PackersNews.com
Posted Apr. 27, 2006

Brett Favre will join his Green Bay Packers teammates for their first minicamp under new coach Mike McCarthy next week and apparently for all their offseason minicamps.

Last year, former coach Mike Sherman permitted the quarterback to skip the team’s three summer minicamps — two mandatory and one voluntary — so he could stay in Mississippi with his recuperating wife and work with a personal trainer on a core-conditioning program.

This year will be Favre’s 16th NFL season, but with a new coach and offense, he’ll take part in all minicamps, according to a source close to Favre. Teams are allowed a fourth minicamp if they change head coaches, so the Packers will have an extra minicamp this year.

McCarthy’s first minicamp will be May 5 to 7.

“He will be there,” McCarthy said Wednesday. “Weââ €šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢ll discuss (his participation) when he gets here, but he will take part. It depends on his conditioning.”

Though the Packers haven’t seen Favre recently, the source said Favre is in good shape and has been working out regularly this offseason doing the core-training program on his own. He began that core program last year at about this time and has not re-hired the personal trainer who tutored him, because he knows the workout routines well enough to complete on his own. He did abbreviated versions for maintenance work last season and returned to a more thorough program this offseason well before deciding this week he will play again this year.

Favre is considering tweaking the core program to include more running and might hire a personal trainer for help in that regard and to push him now that he has to ramp up the workouts for another NFL season.

Neither General Manager Ted Thompson nor anyone on the Packers’ coaching staff has seen Favre since Thompson and McCarthy visited him separately in Mississippi the week of the Senior Bowl in late January.

“Iââ⠀šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢ll be able to answer that when I see him, but I think he’s in good shape, just based on when I saw him a few months ago,” McCarthy said.

The Packers are hoping the coaching change rejuvenates the 36-year-old Favre for minicamps and the season. Aside from minicamp the weekend after the draft, McCarthy also will conduct minicamps from May 19 to 21 and May 31 to June 2, and 11 days of organized-team activities, which in essence are minicamp practices, from June 5 to 21.

Last year, Sherman let Favre skip all minicamps for several reasons. First, Favre’s wife, Deanna, was just coming off treatment for breast cancer, so that gave Favre a chance to stay home in Mississippi with her all offseason. Second, Favre had been in the same offense with essentially the same language since 1992, and the minicamps had become tedious for him and a possible reason for retirement. Third, it gave Favre a chance to concentrate on his new conditioning program to regain some of the mobility and endurance he’d lost over the previous few years.

With McCarthy replacing the fired Sherman this offseason, Favre will be in familiar physical surroundings but with a new coaching staff. McCarthy runs the same basic West Coast offensive system that Sherman and former coaches Mike Holmgren and Ray Rhodes used, but McCarthy learned the system under different coaches than Sherman and has different terminology and areas of emphasis.

“The passing game is going to be real similar,” said Jeff Jagodzinski, the Packers’ new offensive coordinator. “Mike (McCarthy) grew up on this system, the West Coast system. It will be a little more back to basics — hooks and slants, things that are a trademark of this type of offense. Brett’s a smart guy. He’ll pick it up quick.”

Tarlam!
04-28-2006, 04:25 AM
I'm excited about this.
I'm excited about tomorrow's draft.
I'm excited about the DD rumor being exaggerated garbage, probably started by Walker.
I'm excited to be a Packer Rat.
I'm excited the bars are opening soon in my part of the world.
I'm excited by grailism as much as Bretsky, but was too shy to come out about.
I'm excited about being over my shyness.....

What an exciting time to be a Fan!!