PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Packer Needs: Defense

ND72
04-21-2007, 09:04 PM
2007 Packer Draft Needs List: Defense

DE: Current Players – Aaron Kampman, Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila, Michael Montgomery, Jason Hunter, Cullen Jenkins
What seemed to be a weakness on one side at times with KGB, turned into a strength by the end of the year with Cullen Jenkins playing on 1st, 2nd, and short yardage downs, with KGB coming in on passing downs. Which, in turn, also made KGB more effective at the end of the season. Michael Montgomery likes to show a flash every now and then of talent, but never enough to prove he can play. Jason Hunter might have just been a 1 year player. Depending on what Green Bay thinks and feels about both Jenkins and KGB, they might either be looking for an every down DE, or just a pass rush DE. Either way, my feelings are that KGB is in his last year in GB because of his contract.
Possible Picks: Jamaal Anderson, Adam Carriker, Charles Johnson, Quentin Moses, Victor Abiamiri, Ray McDonald, Chase Pittman, Jay Richardson, Xzavie Jackson,

DT: Current Players – Cullen Jenkins, Ryan Pickett, Corey Williams, Johnny Jolly, Collin Cole
Could be a strength of our team. Ryan Pickett, while might be listed as an underachiever, does exactly what is expected of him in our defense, take up blockers. Corey Williams eats up blockers, and gives a sold pass rush from a DT. Cullen Jenkins is probably the best of the 3, but depending on their plans, will only play on 3rd downs at DT. Johnny Jolly could be a steal of the draft if he can out work his injuries. I am looking forward to seeing what type of progression he makes. Collin Cole can be a beast to block at times. The nice part of Jenkins, Williams, Pickett, and Cole, is they can play either DT position, and my guess is Jolly could as well. If Thompson desides to look for a DT, it’d probably be later in the draft.
Possible Picks: Alan Branch, Tank Tyler, Justin Harrell, Brandon Mebane, Ryan McBean, Marcus Thomas, Quinn Pitcock, Turk McBride, Derek Landri, Keith Jackson, Jeremy Clark, Matt Toeaina, Paul Soliai

OLB: Current Players – A.J. Hawk, Brady Poppinga, Tracy White, Tim Goodwell, Marcus Randall, Spencer Havner
Perhaps our Outside Linebacker position is quietly our strongest position on our defense. A.J. Hawk was definitely worthy of the #5 pick, and will continue to improve on his stellar rookie season. The one thing that Hawk brings that does show up on stat sheets, is just his presence, and drive/desire to win. Nick Barnett even commented that as soon as Hawk showed up in the locker room, the feeling in their meetings changed from the need to win, to the expectation to win. As the season continued, Brady Poppinga seemed to improve every game. If he can stay healthy through training camp and the pre-season, he could be one of the most improved next season. Tracy white is a solid backup, and definitely a good special teams player. If the Packers happen to re-sign Ben Taylor, it will only strengthen this unit. I would NOT be surprised though, if Ted Thompson doesn’t use a mid round pick on an OLB, just to strengthen this unit more.
Possible Picks: Paul Posluszny, Jon Beason, Rufus Alexander, Stewart Bradley, Juwan Simpson, Justin Durant, Zak DeOssie, Dallas Sartz, Justin Hickman, Brian Smith

MLB: Current Players – Nick Barnett, Abdul Hodge
The contract extension of Nick Barnett was big. It solidifies the Linebacker unit for many years. Nick has had his ups and downs, but with this being his first offseason in the same system, and with some better players around him, as well as in front of him, he should only continue now to improve more and more. One thing people don’t understand, is Nick Barnett is not going to be a fill the hole, explode on a player tackler. Nick is a sideline to sideline player. But the nice part of the Packers defense, is it is designed so the Strong Side LB takes on the block, the Middle LB forces the runner back to the middle, where the Weak Side LB is expected to make the tackle. Hodge showed signs of potential in the pre-season, but he still has a long ways to go for him to make it on the field. He is a liability is pass coverage, and doesn’t flow very well from side to side. The more he learns, and again, with the better players around everyone right now, it will only help him improve.
Possible Picks: Patrick Willis, David Harris, Jon Abbate, H.B. Blades, Anthony Waters, Marvin Mitchell, Oscar Lua

CB: Current Players – Al Harris, Charles Woodson, Frank Walker, Will Blackmon, Jarrett Bush, Patrick Dendy,
Al Harris and Charles Woodson were Pro Bowl Players in 2006, I don’t care what anyone in the league or around the country have to say. The worry has to be, will these 2 start to slow down with age? The Packers drafted Will Blackmon last year, and Blackmon is so full of athleticism, he could probably hand some out, and still have some left over. Injuries plagued him in year 1, and needs a strong offseason, training camp, and pre-season. Packers signed Frank Walker, who has been a Nickle/Dimeback for the Giants. As of now, he probably steps in as our 5th DB. I wouldn’t be surprised if the Packers use one of the Day 1 Picks on a DB, weather it be a Corner, or a Safety. There are some definitely top tier CB’s in Round 1 for them at pick 16. Jarrett Bush played sparingly, mostly on special teams, and Patrick Dendy did a pretty good job coming in after Ahmad Carrol was cut…but I think anyone would have liked anybody not named Ahmad.
Possible Picks: Leon Hall, Darrelle Revis, Aaron Ross, Daymeion Hughes, Marcus McCauley, Tanard Jackson, Jonathan Wade, Eric Wright, Tarell Brown, C.J. Wilson, Travarous Bain, John Talley, Anthony Arline

S: Current Players – Nick Collins, Marquad Manuel, Tyrone Culver, Marviel Underwood, Charlie Peprah, Atari Bigby
Safety tends to be an area of question for many people, but my “gut” feeling is it’s not an area of question for the Packers. Nick Collins got better every week last season. By the end of the year, he was one of our most consistant DB’s. Manuel didn’t practice at all during training camp, and never took a snap during the preseason, but then stepped in week 1 as our starting SS. Many people question him, but if there are questions in him, the same questions need to be ask about Brady Poppinga. If Manuel has a strong offseason, and a good training camp and preseason, my guess is you’ll see a completely different Manuel. Tyrone Culver got some quality snaps last season, and if he continues to learn and grow, he could definitely be a dark-horse to start for the Packers. Marviel Underwood had a very strong offseason and training camp, until he tore his ACL. If he recovers fully, I wouldn’t be surprised to see him compete, if not pass up Manuel for the starting SS position. Atari Bigby had a lot of coaches liking him last preseason, and Charlie Peprah played significant plays on special teams.
Possible Picks: LaRon Landry, Reggie Nelson, Michael Griffin, Brandon Meriweather, Eric Weddle, John Wendling, Josh Gattis, Kevin Payne, Chinedum Ndukwe, Gerald Alexander, Marvin White, Brandon Mitchell, Roderick Rogers, Willis Barringer, Jared Zabransky

Joemailman
04-22-2007, 11:48 AM
ND,

You show Willis under MLB. However, if the Packers were to draft him, it would be as a starter on the strong side. The question is whether TT would use a 1st round pick on a guy whose chief responsibility on running plays is to clear the way for the MLB to make the play.

Your analysis of the Safety position is right on IMO. What many have overlooked is the fact that when the pass defense improved dramatically over the last month of the season, Manuel was a big part of the improvement, just as he had been a big part of the problem earlier.

Packnut
04-22-2007, 12:23 PM
ND,

You show Willis under MLB. However, if the Packers were to draft him, it would be as a starter on the strong side. The question is whether TT would use a 1st round pick on a guy whose chief responsibility on running plays is to clear the way for the MLB to make the play.

Your analysis of the Safety position is right on IMO. What many have overlooked is the fact that when the pass defense improved dramatically over the last month of the season, Manuel was a big part of the improvement, just as he had been a big part of the problem earlier.

Yeah, he sure played better against those mighty offensive power-houses we faced the last month of the season. (insert sarcasm here)

ND72
04-22-2007, 12:32 PM
fair enough packnut...but i think they're going to give a wait and see approach with all these guys as long as they all come in healthy.

And Joe, I agree about Willis. I think his talent and potential would be enough for me to take a guy there...cause what you could really do then is just make an even defense, so they always come out in a set formation, if the TE is on Hawk's side, he's strong side, and if they are on Willis side, he's the strong side...at least that's what I do at the HS rank :lol: That way a team can't try to do things to set me up, they have to make adjustments within their own plan.

wist43
04-22-2007, 01:03 PM
The only position on defense that I could see the Packers looking at in the 1st round would be CB.

They could look DL in the 1st, but it would have to be a DT that they feel could be a difference maker - maybe Okoye or Branch, but they'll both be gone.

I think Underwood is your starting safety next year, and Cutler looks the part... they might look at Nelson at #16, but I doubt it.

LB wouldn't make sense in the 1st round... anyone they draft would necessarily be a two down player anyway. Hawk and Barnett are going to play in the nickel; and, Poppinga showed improvement as the season wore on. Don't think a 1st round pick makes sense here.

Overall, I think it's a good bet to see TT go CB in at least one of the first three rounds.

ND72
04-22-2007, 01:29 PM
The only position on defense that I could see the Packers looking at in the 1st round would be CB.

They could look DL in the 1st, but it would have to be a DT that they feel could be a difference maker - maybe Okoye or Branch, but they'll both be gone.

I think Underwood is your starting safety next year, and Cutler looks the part... they might look at Nelson at #16, but I doubt it.

LB wouldn't make sense in the 1st round... anyone they draft would necessarily be a two down player anyway. Hawk and Barnett are going to play in the nickel; and, Poppinga showed improvement as the season wore on. Don't think a 1st round pick makes sense here.

Overall, I think it's a good bet to see TT go CB in at least one of the first three rounds.

totally agree with all that wist.