View Full Version : LYNCH VISITS THE PACKERS

Bretsky
04-21-2007, 11:58 PM
Lynch's back not sore spot
Medical team says ailment no problem
By BOB McGINN

bmcginn@journalsentinel.com
Posted: April 21, 2007

Green Bay - The Green Bay Packers cleared the final hurdle to a possible first-round selection of running back Marshawn Lynch when the team's medical staff signed off Friday on what has been described by National Football League club officials as a congenital disc abnormality in his lower back.

Marshawn Lynch is a consensus pick as the second-best running back in the NFL draft.
General manager Ted Thompson departed from his normal protocol of not inviting potential top picks to the team's facility in this case mainly because he wanted Lynch's back examined.

On Saturday, agent Doug Hendrickson indicated that, although it was his understanding no magnetic resonance imaging test was performed on Lynch, the Packers were satisfied and passed him on his physical.

"It was first reported at Cal back in '02," Hendrickson said Saturday. "No team is really concerned about it. All he does is exercises for it to strengthen it."

Lynch, a junior from the University of California, is a consensus pick as the No. 2 running back in the draft behind Oklahoma's Adrian Peterson. For months, he has been a popular projection for the Packers with their 16th overall selection.

Green Bay was the ninth and final team that Lynch visited this month. Others were Detroit (second pick), Cleveland (3), Atlanta (8), Buffalo (12), St. Louis (13), Tennessee (19), Kansas City (23) and Baltimore (29).

Officials from four of those teams told the Journal Sentinel after visits by Lynch that their medical staffs had cleared his back. A personnel director for an AFC team that met with Lynch visit said, "We checked it out and we're fine with it. It's like a disc. We gave him an MRI. He said he was able to do all his lifts and it hasn't precluded him from doing anything."

Lynch underwent an MRI at the combine in late February. Based on those findings, another personnel director said he would be off his board. That team reversed its conclusions after a visit in which its doctors performed their own tests.

"I know that there's some teams that will red-flag him," one NFC executive said. "But I don't know that it will (prompt) a lot of teams from staying away from him."

In college, Lynch has been able to play through his back problems.

Lynch arrived in Green Bay on Thursday after a visit in Buffalo and spent most of Friday with the Packers. It was the final day for visits by draft-eligible players.

"I talked to Ted Thompson Friday," Hendrickson said. "He said everyone in the organization was very impressed by him. Obviously, they'd love to have him as a Packer. I've known Ted for a long time and he's always very forthright."

Lynch, according to the agent, met with Thompson, coach Mike McCarthy, running backs Edgar Bennett and many others, including former teammate Aaron Rodgers.

"If he was chosen by Green Bay, he'd love it," Hendrickson said. "Kind of in the back of his mind he's kind of always thought he's going to Green Bay. He grew up in Oakland and hasn't been to a lot of places. He kind of is a home-body. He obviously loves the tradition of Green Bay."

After meeting Lynch during visits, two personnel men from different teams offered similar appraisals.

"He was fine," one scout said. "He's from Oakland and he's got an Oakland personality. But he came off as a good kid and very personable."

"He's proud of his heritage," said another scout. "There's no phoniness about him. The kid's OK."

Clearly, the Packers must get a running back to join Vernand Morency. Besides Lynch, their best options would be trading up for Peterson or taking a runner with picks in the second (No. 47) or third rounds (No. 78).

On Saturday, Peterson said he hadn't thought much about playing for the Packers but wouldn't rule out the possibility of that occurring.

"They definitely have a need for a running back," Peterson said. "I really don't know too much if they're going to try to trade up for a back. I knew they had some interest in Marshawn Lynch."

Peterson's visits were to Detroit (2), Cleveland (3), Tampa Bay (4), Washington (6), Minnesota (7) and Atlanta (8).

Each team is permitted to bring 30 players to town for visits but, unlike some teams, the Packers announce nothing. Other than Lynch, the only other first-day player known to have visited was Eric Wright of Nevada-Las Vegas, a cornerback regarded as a major character risk by many teams.

Among players saying they had not visited Green Bay were tight end Greg Olsen of Miami; running back Michael Bush of Louisville; defensive linemen Jamaal Anderson of Arkansas, Adam Carriker of Nebraska, Justin Harrell of Tennessee and Alan Branch of Michigan; linebacker Patrick Willis of Mississippi; and cornerback Darrelle Revis of Pittsburgh.

"Some teams do a lot of visits, some do a few and some do none," said Olsen, adding he wouldn't be shocked to be taken as high as 16th. "If they feel they met a guy and know enough about him, and he doesn't have any injuries, I guess they don't feel they have to bring them in to waste one of their spots."

In 2005, Willis' position coach was Shawn Slocum, now the Packers' assistant special teams coach.

"He really wishes I can get up there," Willis said. "He said people talk about me all the time there."

If the Packers remain at No. 16 and Lynch isn't their choice, they could select one from a sizable group of players.

Even now, six days before the draft, there appear to be just six players that have no chance to reach the 16th pick: wide receiver Calvin Johnson of Georgia Tech, tackle Joe Thomas of Wisconsin, quarterback JaMarcus Russell of Louisiana State, defensive end Gaines Adams of Clemson, safety LaRon Landry of LSU and Peterson.

Olsen, the only deep threat at tight end, surely would interest them. So could wide receivers such as Ted Ginn Jr. of Ohio State, Robert Meachem of Tennessee and Dwayne Bowe of LSU. And what if Penn State tackle Levi Brown slips?

On defense, linemen such as Louisville's Amobi Okoye, Anderson, Carriker, Harrell and Branch certainly would have appeal.

The Packers could possible field the finest linebacking corps in the league with the pick of Willis, Penn State's Paul Posluszny, Miami's Jon Beason or Florida State's Lawrence Timmons. All four are better athletically than Brady Poppinga.

In the secondary, cornerbacks Leon Hall of Michigan, Aaron Ross of Texas A&M and Revis would fill a need. And safeties Reggie Nelson of Florida, Brandon Meriweather of Miami and Michael Griffin of Texas would start immediately.

In all, the Packers have nine selections, including two extra in the seventh round: one compensatory and one from the New York Jets for tackle Steve Morley.

[/u]

BallHawk
04-22-2007, 06:37 AM
My God, that is one big spew of bullshit coming out of Lynch's agent's mouth.

Let's be honest, most draft picks aren't going to want to come to Green Bay. Yes, players will come to Green Bay, but they don't want to. If you're coming out of college and heading towards the big bucks you wanna go to Miami, San Fran, New York, San Diego, etc. I don't know why these agents waste their breath.

RashanGary
04-22-2007, 07:48 AM
"He really wishes I can get up there," Willis said. "He said people talk about me all the time there." Packers ST coach on wanting Patrick Willis

Man, I almost wihsh we would have lost to the Bears. He looks so much like Ray Lewis; it's scary.

RashanGary
04-22-2007, 07:50 AM
I think Lynch is the most likely but the guy I really want is Patrick Willis. Unfortunately I think he'll be long gone. This might be the year for a trade up but we'll see.

gbpackfan
04-22-2007, 08:12 AM
Ball Hawk,

I think you are WAY off. Football players DO want to come to Green Bay. Thugs who play football don't.

FYI - Vernon Davis recently admitted he was very upset when GB passed on him.

Bretsky
04-22-2007, 08:15 AM
I think Lynch is the most likely but the guy I really want is Patrick Willis. Unfortunately I think he'll be long gone. This might be the year for a trade up but we'll see.

I'd have no problem with Willis either; we'd have the best LB core in the NFL if he turns out like I think he is.

I think you could set up Ted Thompson in a torture chamber and he'd let us cut off his fingers before he'd give up a draft pick to trade up.

Bretsky
04-22-2007, 08:16 AM
Ball Hawk,

I think you are WAY off. Football players DO want to come to Green Bay. Thugs who play football don't.

Where did you see that Vernon Davis remark ?

I only saw he made negative remarks about the Packers.

BallHawk
04-22-2007, 08:16 AM

It's tough to say where Willis will go. He could go as early as #7 to the Vikes or he could slip into the teens. I agree that he is definitely a guy to trade up for. If we could trade up to #12 where the Bills are at, then we could get Willis, but the Bills really like Willis, as well. Unfortunately, it's more likely than not that we don't get Willis.

But man, this kid is just a great player. Speed, Strength, and is as good as a person as you can find.

Bretsky
04-22-2007, 08:18 AM

It's tough to say where Willis will go. He could go as early as #7 to the Vikes or he could slip into the teens. I agree that he is definitely a guy to trade up for. If we could trade up to #12 where the Bills are at, then we could get Willis, but the Bills really like Willis, as well. Unfortunately, it's more likely than not that we don't get Willis.

But man, this kid is just a great player. Speed, Strength, and is as great as a person as you can find.

Wonder if other teams value Hodge; #16 pick and Abdul Hodge for #11 ?

Hell, kick in Ferguson and give them an extra seventh rounder just for taking him :lol:

BallHawk
04-22-2007, 08:20 AM
Ball Hawk,

I can see what you're saying. Without a doubt, the Packers are the most storied franchise in the NFL and have great tradition. However, and let's be honest, it's in Wisconsin. Now, I love Wisconsin, as others do, but these kids, more often than not, will take the big city atmosphere rather than Green Bay. This happened last year in free agency, players just didn't want to come to Green Bay. Talent does play a part, but the location is just inconvenient. That's why we were so lucky with Hawk.

MJZiggy
04-22-2007, 08:38 AM
Ball Hawk,

Me too. The man cried tears of joy when we selected Hawk. He said he did that because he knew he was going to SF.

RashanGary
04-22-2007, 08:54 AM
I like that B, Hodge and the #16 for the #12..That is essentially an early 3rd and the #16..I wonder how that plays out on the value chart.

RashanGary
04-22-2007, 08:55 AM
Lynch seems like the best palyer that is likely to slip to us. I consider him one of the best 10 or so players in this draft based off of talent and production.

retailguy
04-22-2007, 08:58 AM
Lynch seems like the best palyer that is likely to slip to us. I consider him one of the best 10 or so players in this draft based off of talent and production.

I'm not sure that Lynch will "slip" if he's available to us. Other players are better rated than Lynch.

I sincerely hope Thompson passes. I'd rather see a 3rd corner... and I don't really want that.

Brando19
04-22-2007, 08:58 AM
Ball Hawk,

So did I. Davis made it clear he didn't want to be a Packer.

Bretsky
04-22-2007, 09:14 AM

I'm not sure that Lynch will "slip" if he's available to us. Other players are better rated than Lynch.

I sincerely hope Thompson passes. I'd rather see a 3rd corner... and I don't really want that.

I think on pure talent Lynch is a top 12 player; maybe higher. But I have concerns about his attitude.

I'll be as angry about a 3rd CB as I was about Aaron Rodgers.

retailguy
04-22-2007, 02:06 PM
I think on pure talent Lynch is a top 12 player; maybe higher. But I have concerns about his attitude.

The NFL is about Talent/Character.

How many "bad character guys" turn into superstars? How many guys with "average" talent and great character turn into superstars?

NFL is about much more than talent. Pacman Jones is ultra talented, so is Chris Henry, Ricky Williams, and Onterrio Smith. Donald Driver is not as talented, but a GREAT character model, so is William Henderson, Troy Vincent, and many many others.

We don't need Lynch, or his problems, or his entourage and the RB position on this team is a COMPLETE mess... No thanks, I'll pass...

packrulz
04-22-2007, 02:57 PM

How many "bad character guys" turn into superstars? How many guys with "average" talent and great character turn into superstars?

NFL is about much more than talent. Pacman Jones is ultra talented, so is Chris Henry, Ricky Williams, and Onterrio Smith. Donald Driver is not as talented, but a GREAT character model, so is William Henderson, Troy Vincent, and many many others.

We don't need Lynch, or his problems, or his entourage and the RB position on this team is a COMPLETE mess... No thanks, I'll pass...

What entourage are you talking about? I've never read that anywhere. What is bad character? Smoking weed? Fighting with your girlfriend? When the commish suspended Pacman & Henry it did send shockwaves throughout the league because you don't want to give a guy a 5-10 Mill/yr signing bonus and then have him suspended, but, these guys are kids in college and sometimes do stupid things. Several top players admitted smoking weed this year, which I know is very common in college and I would respect them for admitting it. I don't think it's a big deal. Lynch hasn't done anything so bad that I wouldn't want TT to draft him at 16. You said: "I think on pure talent Lynch is a top 12 player; maybe higher", I think TT should draft him then, he hasn't done anything so bad.

Jimx29
04-22-2007, 03:27 PM

QFT

prsnfoto
04-23-2007, 09:17 AM

What entourage are you talking about? I've never read that anywhere. What is bad character? Smoking weed? Fighting with your girlfriend? When the commish suspended Pacman & Henry it did send shockwaves throughout the league because you don't want to give a guy a 5-10 Mill/yr signing bonus and then have him suspended, but, these guys are kids in college and sometimes do stupid things. Several top players admitted smoking weed this year, which I know is very common in college and I would respect them for admitting it. I don't think it's a big deal. Lynch hasn't done anything so bad that I wouldn't want TT to draft him at 16. You said: "I think on pure talent Lynch is a top 12 player; maybe higher", I think TT should draft him then, he hasn't done anything so bad.

I think he is referring to an article last week which quoted a scout that said he has a posse he hangs out with, that coupled with the beating accusation of his girlfriend are red flags. I wouldn't worry too much his visiting to me seals the fact we are NOT taking him, except top five picks most teams don't bring in players and show their hand, hell we didn't even bring in Hawk "smoke and mirrors" course this is TT he might do the opposite.

LL2
04-23-2007, 11:39 AM
It would be nice if TT could trade down 5-7 spots and still get Lynch and pick up another 2nd or 3rd rd pick. I’m not sure what the value is in say pick 22 (Cowboys) to 16 and getting pick either their 53 or 87th pick. Not sure if there would be any interest for a lower team to move up to 16, not likely.

Has anyone read comments by Lynch on what his thoughts are of possibly being picked by GB?

BooHoo
04-23-2007, 12:16 PM
I am not sold on Lynch. Will he be able to hold up to the pounding in the NFL? Having Lynch visit is probably a smoke screen to what TT really wants to do. Is a trade down coming on Sat?

Fritz
04-23-2007, 01:09 PM
Seems like everybody and his brother wants to trade down. To do that though someone has to trade up. If Lynch is sitting there at 16 and the Titans want him, trading down for an extra #3 is possible. But again, someone has to fall in love with a guy at 16. And that guy may be a guiy you want the Pack to take.

retailguy
04-23-2007, 08:07 PM
Seems like everybody and his brother wants to trade down. To do that though someone has to trade up. If Lynch is sitting there at 16 and the Titans want him, trading down for an extra #3 is possible. But again, someone has to fall in love with a guy at 16. And that guy may be a guiy you want the Pack to take.

I want ALL of the 7th round picks. DEPTH I SAY. You can NEVER have too much DEPTH. Now if it wasn't for that pesky 53 man roster and that stupid salary cap.... :twisted: