PDA

View Full Version : Best And Worst Picks NFC.

chain_gang
04-23-2007, 01:53 PM
From FoxSports.com

Has teams Best Pick, Best Value Pick, and Worst Pick

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6688022

Green Bay Packers

Best overall pick: WR Sterling Sharpe, Round 1, Pick 7, 1988

Remember that the stars of the Packers' 10-year run as contenders were either acquired by trade (Brett Favre, Ahman Green), through free agency (Reggie White), or otherwise spent two or three years in the limelight before moving on or fading away (Sharpe, Robert Brooks, Edgar Bennett, Dorsey Levens). Sharpe was the best of those players, putting together four Hall of Fame-caliber seasons before succumbing to injury. You could make a case for Darren Sharper as well.

Best value pick: G Marco Rivera, Round 6, Pick 208, 1996

Rivera gets the nod over Mark Brunell and Matt Hasselbeck because the Packers actually extracted the value of picking him, while they got nothing out of Brunell or Hasselbeck. Donald Driver, Chad Clifton, Adam Timmerman and Mark Tauscher are also seventh round picks gone right.

Worst pick: DL Bruce Clark, Round 1, Pick 4, 1980

Clark was another one of those zany first round picks who preferred the CFL to the NFL. I don't get it — was the lure of poutine and Tim Horton's that strong? He never played a down for the Packers. Sure, Tony Mandarich was a bust, but at least he showed up. Clark also played in the WLAF, which is awesome for many obvious reasons.

I figured it would be Mandarich hands down, but from reading this it seems it was Clark. I've never really heard of him. Anyone remember the Bruce Clark draft pick? Why didn't he play for the Pack?

Freak Out
04-23-2007, 02:00 PM
From FoxSports.com

Has teams Best Pick, Best Value Pick, and Worst Pick

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6688022

Green Bay Packers

Best overall pick: WR Sterling Sharpe, Round 1, Pick 7, 1988

You could make a case for Darren Sharper as well.

No lets not make a case for Sharper. Best overall pick? Shit......

chain_gang
04-23-2007, 02:05 PM
Best value pick: G Marco Rivera, Round 6, Pick 208, 1996

Rivera gets the nod over Mark Brunell and Matt Hasselbeck because the Packers actually extracted the value of picking him, while they got nothing out of Brunell or Hasselbeck. Donald Driver, Chad Clifton, Adam Timmerman and Mark Tauscher are also seventh round picks gone right.

I think there's a number of value picks that could be in there, Bryce Paup comes to mind. Can't argue with Rivera, but Paup was a true steal.

wist43
04-23-2007, 02:09 PM
Clark was highly rated coming out, but steadfastly refused to play for the Packers... in pre-draft interviews he warned that if the Packers picked him, he wouldn't play for them under any circumstances. He was true to his word.

He ended up playing for the Saints for a while... was a decent run stuffing DE, but in no way was he worthy of a 1st round pick.

You have to remember that in the 70's and 80's, Green Bay was literally considered Siberia by many players... Clark wasn't the only one who didn't want anything to do with the Packers. Cold weather, no culture, terrible organization...

Thankfully, Wolfe turned it around.

Cheesehead Craig
04-23-2007, 02:11 PM
Well, perhaps the Argonauts gave him more money that Clark went to Canada. He likely forgot about the exchange difference and realized it afterwards that even though it looked like more money to play there, he actually got less money after the conversion than had he stayed with GB. Can't blame him too much, he did go to Penn State after all.

cheesner
04-23-2007, 02:17 PM
From FoxSports.com
I figured it would be Mandarich hands down, but from reading this it seems it was Clark. I've never really heard of him. Anyone remember the Bruce Clark draft pick? Why didn't he play for the Pack?
Mandarich was the biggest bust of any player drafted by any team. IMHO.

Bruce Clark said something to the effect that he didn't want to be drafted by the Packers. Starr drafted him anyway and said 'he never said he wouldn't play for the Packers.' So you can make the case that it was a dumber pick - but not as big of a bust.

Using the author's definition, I would say a bigger mistake was drafting Rich Campbell. Zeke Bratkowski, OC, said later after he was cut 'On the first day of camp I saw his throwing motion I was heart broke, I knew he would never make it in the NFL.' I thought, SOB! You didn't check out his throwing motion BEFORE drafting him?!? With your OC thinking you're a failure - what are your chances to succeed? Everyone was expecting the Pack to take Ronny Lott that year - we all know how that worked out for SF.

Packnut
04-23-2007, 02:18 PM
Damn, I thought I could go the rest of my like without hearing the name Bruce Clark. I hope where-ever that SOB is now, his life SUCKS!

]{ilr]3
04-23-2007, 04:45 PM
How could Donald Driver not be on the top of that list? Wasnt he a 6 or 7th rounder? :shock:

Opps, edit. I actually read the whole post this time :oops:

I see he was a 7th rounder.

I wonder if they base it on Pro-bowl apperances or what?

Freak Out
04-23-2007, 04:48 PM
How could names like Hornung, Adderley or Lofton not be there as well. They were all first round picks if I remember correctly.

MTPackerfan
04-23-2007, 05:28 PM
I wasn't paying attention to drafts back then but the Packers could have had Ronnie Lott and took Rich Campbell instead?????? WTH