PDA

View Full Version : Broncos want #2 spot

Brando19
04-23-2007, 05:30 PM
Found this on PFT:
A reader tells us that there's a rumor being reported on 950 AM in Denver that the Broncos are trying to make a play for the No. 2 overall pick in the draft, in an effort to land receiver Calvin Johnson.

A source with knowledge of the discussions tells us that the rumor is dead-on accurate, and that an offer has been made by the Broncos to the Lions.

Per the rumor and based on what we've heard, the Broncos have offered their first-round, second-round, and third-round pick in the 2007 draft and their first-rounder in 2008 for the No. 2 spot.

The Lions, we're told, are concerned that the No. 21 overall spot would put them too low to land one of the players whom they covet. The Lions' goal in trading down is/has been to get more picks, and to still get one of the players they want, but at a lower salary slot.

So the deal might hinge on the ability of the Lions to line up another deal that would allow them to move back up a bit.

The Broncos hold the No. 21 overall pick in round one, the No. 56 overall pick (No. 24 in round two), and the No. 70 and No. 86 overall picks (No. 6 and No. 23, respectively, in round two). We don't know which of the third-rounders has been offered.

Under the trade chart, the deal might favor the Lions. But different teams value picks from the next year's draft differently; some teams downgrade the points by a full round, making a 2007 first-rounder the equivalent of a 2008 secon-rounder. The other problem here is that no one will know where the Broncos draft in round one until the 2007 season ends.

The entire deal would be contingent on the Raiders not drafting Calvin Johnson with the No. 1 overall pick. We're currently told that the Raiders are expected to strike a deal on a contract with quarterback JaMarcus Russell before Saturday.

However, the fact that former Raiders coach/current Broncos coach Mike Shanahan apparently has a bee in his butt for Johnson could cause Raiders owner Al Davis to think twice about whether he would prefer to have Johnson on his team -- or to have to face him twice per year.

I know PFT isn't always accurate, but to me this makes sense. They have a real good 2nd year QB and they want a WR that will be UNBELIEVABLE for many years. They also have Javon Walker (hate him but he's damn good.) This would make perfect sense.

PaCkFan_n_MD
04-23-2007, 05:36 PM
Walker and Johnson :shock:

Brando19
04-23-2007, 05:38 PM
It would be SWEET if TT traded up to get Calvin..................hahahahaha.......who am I kidding? That was hilarious.

ND72
04-23-2007, 06:38 PM
If the Raiders don't take CJ, I think the Lions are going to need a few phone lines in their war room.

Freak Out
04-23-2007, 07:08 PM
The Raiders are going to take CJ and draft a QB later. Then they can work a trade sending Moss to the Pack. :)

BooHoo
04-23-2007, 07:11 PM
I think the Raiders take CJ also (Best Player Available). :)

packrulz
04-23-2007, 07:26 PM
Tampa Bay wants CJ real bad, Detroit could trade with them and move only 2 spots down to get the player they want, like Adams or Willis. Denver would have to give up a lot to move up, I can't see Shanahan doing that when this draft is pretty stocked with good WR's.

Rastak
04-23-2007, 07:49 PM
The Raiders are going to take CJ and draft a QB later. Then they can work a trade sending Moss to the Pack. :)

Rumor is they are negotiating with Russell right now.

retailguy
04-23-2007, 07:51 PM
Rumor is they are negotiating with Russell right now.

It's OBVIOUSLY a smokescreen. EVERYONE has said they'll trade Moss to the Packers. therefore it MUST BE TRUE. :wink:

Brando19
04-23-2007, 07:52 PM
Pat Kirwan on Sirius NFL Radio said he GUARANTEES the Raiders take Russell and trade Moss. He didn't say who they'd trade Moss to, but he said it will be on draft day.

retailguy
04-23-2007, 07:55 PM
Pat Kirwan on Sirius NFL Radio said he GUARANTEES the Raiders take Russell and trade Moss. He didn't say who they'd trade Moss to, but he said it will be on draft day.

Therefore it must be true.... <yawn>

Freak Out
04-23-2007, 07:55 PM
I wonder how may real shockers there will be on day one?

Freak Out
04-23-2007, 07:57 PM

Why would you trade Moss then? Russell is going to need that blanket.

retailguy
04-23-2007, 07:59 PM

Every pick from about #3 down ought to be a shocker. Quite honestly, when the packers pick 1st at, #45 ( :lol: ), it should be quite a surprise...

If we don't come out of this day with some type of RB, I'll be in danger of leaping from the bridge...

retailguy
04-23-2007, 08:00 PM

Why would you trade Moss then? Russell is going to need that blanket.

So you are saying that Kirwan's guarantee is WORTHLESS... :shock:

say it isn't so! 8-)

MJZiggy
04-23-2007, 08:01 PM

Every pick from about #3 down ought to be a shocker. Quite honestly, when the packers pick 1st at, #45 ( :lol: ), it should be quite a surprise...

If we don't come out of this day with some type of RB, I'll be in danger of leaping from the bridge...

Someone remind me on Friday to have him put in protective custody...

retailguy
04-23-2007, 08:02 PM

Someone remind me on Friday to have him put in protective custody...

Half of this place will be cutting your phone line and breaking your fingers so you can't dial. :)

Pack_Attack88
04-23-2007, 09:00 PM
i would trade our next 3 first round picks for CJ...

then in those drafts i would trade down in the 2nd and stock pile picks and the loss of the 1st round pick the next 3 years wont be felt so bad!!

Iron Mike
04-23-2007, 09:13 PM

Here's a shocker for you today:

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/PS/7655~Shocker-Posters.jpg

Packnut
04-23-2007, 09:30 PM
Even though they would be givingup a lot, this would be a great trade for Denver. The Cutler-Walker-Johnson trio would be un-stopable.

retailguy
04-23-2007, 09:34 PM
i would trade our next 3 first round picks for CJ...

then in those drafts i would trade down in the 2nd and stock pile picks and the loss of the 1st round pick the next 3 years wont be felt so bad!!

Are you Mike Sherman? 8-)

Partial
04-23-2007, 09:56 PM

Pi is exactly 3!!!!!

Brando19
04-23-2007, 10:02 PM

Pi is exactly 3!!!!!

What?

retailguy
04-23-2007, 10:47 PM

Pi is exactly 3!!!!!

What?

Pi is approximately 3.14...... You cannot make it 3, and you cannot make Al Davis insane.... Stop trying! :P

Partial
04-23-2007, 11:54 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbWq_-U7Lc4

Pack_Attack88
04-24-2007, 10:02 AM
trading up to get CJ is alittle different then trading up for a punter... if you cant see that CJ is gonna be unstoppable then i question if your mike sherman!!

Chester Marcol
04-24-2007, 11:59 AM
trading up to get CJ is alittle different then trading up for a punter... if you cant see that CJ is gonna be unstoppable then i question if your mike sherman!!

We all realize it's that time of year when we all dream of the potential of this year's draft stud, but unless you are looking into a crystal ball watching CJ get inducted into the Hall of Fame with every receiver record with his name next to them and a couple SB rings on his fingers, there is no way you give up that much youth(draft picks) for one person who has never played a down in the NFL. You make that move and your depth and future take a step back. To me, that sounds exactly like what Sherman did to us.

Pack_Attack88
04-24-2007, 01:30 PM
but you fail to realize that in doing this i said you trade down and each draft you end up with 12 or 13 picks which would greatly minimize the loss of the #1 in the next three drafts...

lets see, Ahmad Carroll, Rodgers, and Bubba Franks or CJ??

thats a real tuff one so let me think about it!!

Tarlam!
04-24-2007, 01:56 PM
lets see, Ahmad Carroll, Rodgers, and Bubba Franks or CJ??

thats a real tuff one so let me think about it!!

Worth coming out of exile to compliment. SENSATIONAL POST!

Brando19
04-24-2007, 05:19 PM
It's now confirmed.
Nicholas Cotsonika, of the Detroit Free Press, reports the Denver Broncos have made two offers to the Detroit Lions involving the the second overall pick, according to the Denver Post. The first offer included LB Al Wilson and the Broncos' first-round pick. The second offer involved the Broncos' first-, second- and third-round picks in the 2007 NFL Draft, as well as their first-round pick in the 2008 NFL Draft.

The Broncos wouldn't do this unless they KNEW the Raiders aren't going to select Calvin.

packrulz
04-24-2007, 05:36 PM
It's now confirmed.
Nicholas Cotsonika, of the Detroit Free Press, reports the Denver Broncos have made two offers to the Detroit Lions involving the the second overall pick, according to the Denver Post. The first offer included LB Al Wilson and the Broncos' first-round pick. The second offer involved the Broncos' first-, second- and third-round picks in the 2007 NFL Draft, as well as their first-round pick in the 2008 NFL Draft.

The Broncos wouldn't do this unless they KNEW the Raiders aren't going to select Calvin.

Come on guys, this rumor is coming from a Detroit paper, they have an agenda to drive up the value of the Lion's pick. This happens every year, misinformation. Shanahan is pretty smart, he would never give up two 1st round picks, plus his 2nd and 3rd round picks for one guy, even if he's a stud like CJ.

Brando19
04-24-2007, 05:41 PM
The Broncos have officially released LB Wilson.

retailguy
04-24-2007, 08:53 PM

They announced they were releasing him on the 13th or something like that.

gosh, I just don't know where these "journalists" get these stories. Weekly World News? :roll:

Pack_Attack88
04-24-2007, 09:44 PM
just to add to my post, if we did trade our next 3 first round picks, its only really losing a first in the next two years seeing we would get gaining the high first this year to land CJ...

i dont know about you all but i would most definetly do this!!

retailguy
04-24-2007, 09:52 PM
just to add to my post, if we did trade our next 3 first round picks, its only really losing a first in the next two years seeing we would get gaining the high first this year to land CJ...

i dont know about you all but i would most definetly do this!!

I wouldn't do this for Brett Favre in his prime.

(and for you bulldog). I wouldn't do this for Tom Brady in his prime either.

MJZiggy
04-24-2007, 10:05 PM
(and for you bulldog). I wouldn't do this for Tom Brady in his prime either.

:lol: :lol:

packrulz
04-25-2007, 08:39 AM

Wilson is pretty darn good, if his neck heals up I hope TT checks him out.

Fritz
04-25-2007, 08:58 AM
It's a huge risk. I love Calvin Johnson, but one neck injury - one of any kind of a serious injury - and you just set your franchise back about five years.

Besides, that trade seems to not bring enough to Detroit. They get multiple picks, but the first rounder this year is pretty low, and next year's would conceivably be pretty low, too. Plus your new second and third rounders are pretty low.

Matt Millen ought to be immediately canned if CJ is sitting there at #2 and Millen doesn't grab him - unless somebody like Tampa makes a dumb offer (multiple #1 picks, plus a second and third this year and maybe a third next year.) But what will Detroit fans be saying in three years if Millen drafts another stiff (oh, maybe Gaines Adams) and Calvin Johnson is going to his second straight pro bowl?