PDA

View Full Version : Sporting News : Tom Silverstein

motife
04-24-2007, 05:52 PM
Tom Silverstein
For Sporting News

After analyzing the first year of the zone-running scheme, the coaches have pinpointed several areas needing improvement. The most vital is the play of the front-side linemen. Too often the defensive end on the play side was not displaced, which means there was a logjam of defenders where there should have been a running lane. Sometimes it's up to the tackle to clear out the end and sometimes it's a double-team with the guard and tackle. When it wasn't done cleanly, the back had very little room to cut back. When he did cut back, too often the backside pursuit got him. That's because the backside blockers weren't consistently cut-blocking their man, which was another seasonlong problem. Finally, the chemistry between the halfback and fullback wasn't good. There wasn't enough space between the two and often times the fullback was getting in the way of the halfback. It's up to the fullback to be more decisive with his blocks and for the halfback to be more patient and wait for the block to occur. . . .

It wouldn't be surprising if G.M. Ted Thompson trades down in this draft. Thompson has never traded up during his years in which he was in charge of the Seattle and Green Bay draft rooms. He has always traded down in an attempt to get more picks. Volume isn't necessary after making 23 selections over the last two years, but sitting at No. 16 Thompson might be facing a situation where there are four or five players of equal value available. If that's the case, he'll look to trade down and get an extra pick, possibly in the second or third round. He can still get a good player if he doesn't trade down past No. 22 or 23, possibly a big receiver such as Robert Meachem or tight end Greg Olsen.

SCOUTING REPORT: Quarterback Brett Favre still has the arm strength to make all the necessary throws, but if there's one area where he's not the same player it is accuracy on quick, in-the-pocket throws. There are times he can thread the ball through a needle, but those don't occur as often as they used to. The coaches have to consider getting him out of the pocket more because he is at his best when he moves up in the pocket or scrambles out of it. His vision on the run is outstanding and his ability to throw across his body makes him a threat to throw it anywhere. Surgery to repair his ankle should help him be more mobile.

OFFSEASON STAR: Running back Vernand Morency showed up for the offseason program in top condition and is taking his current starting status seriously. Morency is first on the list to replace Ahman Green, but he has to show more patience and better decision-making in the zone system. He has tremendous ability to make people miss in the open field, but to get there he has to read the cutback lane better and time his cut just right. Regardless of whether the club drafts a running back, Morency will be in the mix for playing time this season.

Tom Silverstein covers the Packers for the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel.

Comments
Morency ...
Posted by mrwookie on Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:25 am

While I am thrilled to hear that Morency didn't slack off this offseason, I still don't think he is their main answer at RB. He can work well in a platoon situation, and I suspect that is what the Packers will do: draft a power back in the 2nd or 3rd round to rotate with him.

I tend to agree with Silverstein: He will trade down to pick up another pick: the only exception being if there is a surprise dropping of a player that he really wanted.

No more excuses for the O-linemen this year. They have had a year to gel, and they need to get it done this year.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morency
Posted by twobrian5 on Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:43 pm

I kind of scratch my head when people say Morency isn't the answer. He was banged up last year, yes, but running backs do tend to get hurt by the nature of the position. I do agree we need to get someone to compliment him, but the guy almost ran for 500 yards and averaged 4.6 ypc, so I think he can do the job just fine.

I like what I've read about TT taking the best available player when 16 comes around. I think he believes with the entire roster coming back, that if a guy slips who has a higher grade then other players, he'll take him regardless of position. To me, I wouldn't mind seeing him take a defensive lineman. Maybe a guy like Adam Carriker or Jarvis Moss at Defensive End. Carriker could slide into Defensive Tackle on passing downs and rotate with Kampman to keep both players fresh. That, and he would really be nice to have if Kampman got hurt. To me, you have to look at depth and how much of a drop off you'd have if one of your starters got hurt. If Kampman got hurt, we've got an undrafted rookie free agent from last year to step in. Now, this might just be my opinion, but usually if your not drafted as a defensive lineman, your not that good. There are exceptions, and players do develop like Cullen Jenkins did, but still.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted by YoHoChecko on Tue Apr 24, 2007 09:30 am

I think the Packers should sign Chris Brown as a complement back who fits the scheme decently well and that way, even if the draft doesn't fall well for them, there's less pressure to find an impact RB... but it looks like Brown will wait until after the draft to sign. The run game really isn't as big of a problem as it seems to be--the problem is that McCarthy doesn't call enough run plays... over 600 pass attempts for a 37 year-old QB is just stupid; no other word for it.

As far as depth at DE, if Kampman gets hurt, Cullen Jenkins will play his side and KGB will resume the starting role on the right side, most likely. I wouldn't be surprised to see a D-lineman get drafted, but a DT is more likely, and we do have several current needs that need to be addressed. In 2008, we can draft for depth, because we have almost no free agents and no projected cap problems next year, so the entire team will be returning, except for those who are voluntarily replaced and the possible retirement of Favre.

On Favre, I REALLY like the idea of rolling him out more. It helps in pass protection, and puts him in a position in which he has excelled. Silverstein has really impressed me with his Packer write-ups lately.

I do think the Offensive line will be much improved. Three rookies--all of whom needed work on their strength--were starting much of last year, and this year they'll have valuable experience, they'll have worked together, and they're spending the entire offseason in personalized strength programs. I'm a little concerned about depth there, due to the OTs, but I think it should work out alright. Moll is a good RT back-up, and I think College can be a good LT back-up. The only problem with that is that one injury would cause a bunch of shifting on the line, same is Scott Wells, whose top back-up may be Spitz.