View Full Version : Packers have no interest in Ashley Lelie

motife
04-28-2006, 07:35 AM
http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/sports/index.php?ntid=81859&ntpid=1

Packers: Walker trade not out of question

JASON WILDE
608-252-6176
April 27, 2006

GREEN BAY - Green Bay Packers general manager Ted Thompson took so many phone calls regarding Javon Walker that the recalcitrant wide receiver may indeed get his wish and be traded - perhaps before Saturday's NFL draft.

Six weeks after denying Walker permission to seek a trade and issuing a statement in which he said, "I don't anticipate us making any concessions in this matter," Thompson has allowed Walker to visit other teams this week, which could lead to a trade.

"This is us doing our due diligence," Thompson said Thursday evening after he emerged from day-long pre-draft meetings. "We've received several calls the last few weeks and the interest level (in Walker) has reached a point where we felt it was prudent to explore these options.

"I wouldn't say anything is necessarily going to come from this, but we felt it was in the best interest of the Green Bay Packers that we look into it. That's what we're doing. That's all we're doing."

Walker wasted no time, either, visiting the New Orleans Saints Thursday, an NFL source confirmed. Walker's visit to New Orleans was first reported by ESPN.com, which also reported that Walker will visit the Denver Broncos today. The Packers also have received calls from the Kansas City Chiefs, Miami Dolphins, New England Patriots and Philadelphia Eagles about Walker, but the Saints and Broncos appear to be the most interested.

It was the Saints who traded with Green Bay for disgruntled cornerback Mike McKenzie, whom former coach and GM Mike Sherman sent to New Orleans for a second-round draft pick in 2004. Thompson used that pick to select safety Nick Collins last spring.

Both New Orleans and Denver have their own receivers on the trading block - the Saints' Donte Stallworth and the Broncos' Ashley Lelie, each of whom was selected before Walker in the 2002 NFL draft. Stallworth was selected 13th, Lelie 19th and Walker 20th in that draft.

But a league source said the Packers have no interest in Lelie, despite his career average of 17.9 yards per catch and 18 receptions of 40-plus yards. Like Walker, Lelie also is unhappy with his contract and has boycotted all of the Broncos' offseason workouts. He also has had injury problems.

In fact, the NFL source said the Packers' opening asking price is a first-round draft pick for Walker, and so far, they haven't received anything close. The Broncos' initial offer was reportedly Lelie and a sixth-round pick, while Philadelphia reportedly offered defensive lineman Hollis Thomas and a sixth-round pick.

Both the Broncos and the Saints are capable of better offers, especially in light of how this year's draft lacks top- end wide receivers.

The Saints not only hold the No.•2 overall pick in the draft, but they'll select second in Round 2 as well, No.•34 overall. And last week, the Broncos traded the 22nd overall pick to San Francisco for the 49ers' second- and third-round picks, which are 37th and 68th overall. There was speculation the Broncos made that trade to gain ammunition to get Walker.

Asked if he was surprised by the interest in Walker, who is coming off a season-ending torn ACL in his right knee suffered in the Sept. 11 regular- season opener, Thompson replied, "I don't know if we expected the number of phone calls we've gotten. There are very few untouchable players. But I don't know if anything will happen."

Walker, who has said that he would rather retire than play for the Packers again, is entering the final year of his contract and is scheduled to be paid a $1.15•million base salary in 2006. He underwent reconstructive surgery Oct. 7, so his visits are necessary so the respective teams' doctors can examine the knee.

Walker, who went to his first Pro Bowl after catching 89 passes for 1,382 yards and 12 touchdowns during the 2004 regular season, has been rehabilitating his knee and attending classes at Florida State. This is the second straight year he has demanded a trade, skipping all of the team's offseason workouts last year while posturing for a new contract before reporting on time to training camp. The Packers' first minicamp this year is May 5 to 7.

Thompson said he was not concerned that trading Walker would further the precedent set by the McKenzie trade that unhappy players could force their way out of Green Bay.

"I understand what you're getting at, but I'm not looking at it that way," Thompson said. "If we can make a fair trade, where we feel it's in the best interest of the Green Bay Packers, we'll do that. If it's not in our best interest, we won't. We wouldn't do an unfair trade just because a player is unhappy."

GBRulz
04-28-2006, 08:51 AM
yikes.

how bad does it look to have actually pursued TO now??

MadtownPacker
04-28-2006, 11:30 AM
Time to throw all my walker rookie cards in the trash.

MJZiggy
04-28-2006, 11:32 AM
No way! Those are really good for shoring up uneven table legs. Just make sure you fold it directly over the face first.