PDA

View Full Version : Larry Johnson??

Ballboy
04-24-2007, 09:14 PM
Wonder, just wonder what they are asking for? He is signed through 2009:

PER PFT

POSTED 7:26 p.m. EDT, April 24, 2007

CHIEFS SHOPPING L.J.

A day after reporting that Chiefs running back Larry Johnson doesn't appear to be on the trading block, Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that the Chiefs are indeed shopping the four-year pro.

Per Schefter, the Chiefs have spoken with the Browns, Packers, Titans, Bills and possibly others. To date, the Chiefs haven't gotten close to a deal.

A Chiefs official told Schefter that the team hasn't engaged in "specific" trade talks, but Schefter properly (we believe) discounts the claim as a product of semantics. The Chiefs can't afford to have the quietly temperamental Johnson go T.O. on the team, so any trade effort must be done discreetly.

The biggest impediment to getting a deal done, as Schefter explains, is the money it would take to sign Johnson to a long-term deal. Schefter says that Johnson wants a deal worth more than the eight-year, $60 million package received by Chargers running back LaDainian Tomlinson two years ago.

In our view, too much has to happen too quickly for a trade to happen before the draft. And given the prevailing thought in league circles that running backs are largely interchangeable, a team in need would be better off making a play for L.T.'s backup, Michael Turner.

digitaldean
04-24-2007, 10:18 PM
Wonder, just wonder what they are asking for? He is signed through 2009:
In our view, too much has to happen too quickly for a trade to happen before the draft. And given the prevailing thought in league circles that running backs are largely interchangeable, a team in need would be better off making a play for L.T.'s backup, Michael Turner.

Also saw this on KFFL re: Schefter's article. Someone may pull the trigger on this.

All depends on how much SD and KC want for their respective RBs.

LJ is a proven workhorse and would be fantastic for Brett this season and/or Rodgers once he takes over.

The price may be a little salty, but so would a bust as a first round pick.

I MIGHT be able to see TT doing this OR the Moss trade, but no way on doing both. That would shock the socks off of me if he did.

retailguy
04-24-2007, 10:21 PM
I MIGHT be able to see TT doing this OR the Moss trade, but no way on doing both. That would shock the socks off of me if he did.

I can't really see either, however, if he did both it would restore my faith in the belief that he actually cares about winning now.

I re-emphasize. I don't want moss and I think LJ is too expensive.

But I want to win now.... :shock:

digitaldean
04-24-2007, 10:26 PM

I can't really see either, however, if he did both it would restore my faith in the belief that he actually cares about winning now.

Would you be more willing to trade with SD for Turner?

retailguy
04-24-2007, 10:30 PM
Would you be more willing to trade with SD for Turner?

Probably more willing to trade for Julius Jones (no greater than a 3rd rounder).

He came from the "system" we use in college, he's displayed enough in his career to be a good risk, but I'm not "enamored" with him either.

I really, really wanted Ahman Green for two more years with a good "developmental" back drafted this year.

The Shadow
04-24-2007, 10:33 PM

So did Minnesota.
So did Washington.
Doing the job right takes time & requires patience.

Bretsky
04-24-2007, 10:36 PM

So did Minnesota.
So did Washington.

So did the Bears and they made the SB ; it's not always fair to pick the extremes.

There are plenty of ways to build a team; the draft is certainly important, but there are alternatives as well

The Shadow
04-24-2007, 10:48 PM

So did Minnesota.
So did Washington.

So did the Bears and they made the SB ; it's not always fair to pick the extremes.

There are plenty of ways to build a team; the draft is certainly important, but there are alternatives as well

The Bears didn't win by signing a slew of free agents,
With an exception or two, they were always picking high in the draft.
They also drafted pretty well.
Thankfully, they now seem like they can't stand success & appear headed back down to territory they are more familiar with.

Bretsky
04-24-2007, 11:00 PM

So did Minnesota.
So did Washington.

Thankfully, they now seem like they can't stand success & appear headed back down to territory they are more familiar with.

You should look at that lineup; several were free agent pickups. They did draft well and had several high picks, but they utilized free agency very well also.

cpk1994
04-25-2007, 06:54 AM

So did Minnesota.
So did Washington.

You should look at that lineup; several were free agent pickups. They did draft well and had several high picks, but they utilized free agency very well also.
Yes but those pickups weren't until after several years of picking high in the draft and when the team was only 1 or 2 players away from a SB. The pack aren't that close.

Partial
04-25-2007, 08:42 AM
If it costs the first i'd probably do it. Any more and i'd probably not. This guy was a benefactor of a hall-of-fame quality OL.

Fritz
04-25-2007, 08:50 AM
Hmm...a me-me-me attitude, four years of pro wear-and-tear on his legs, and the desire for a contract bigger than LaDanian Tomlinson?

Umm...no thanks.

retailguy
04-25-2007, 08:51 AM
If it costs the first i'd probably do it. Any more and i'd probably not. This guy was a benefactor of a hall-of-fame quality OL.

Which he surely won't have here in Green Bay. :wink:

Partial
04-25-2007, 02:15 PM
Hmm...a me-me-me attitude, four years of pro wear-and-tear on his legs, and the desire for a contract bigger than LaDanian Tomlinson?

Umm...no thanks.

LaDainian got his contract three years ago so its not exceptionally big anymore. He doesn't have four years of wear-and-tear, he has 1.75. He never played because of Priest Holmes.

He got 21 million guaranteed over 6 years. Leonard Davis signed for 18.5 guaranteed this year and he is a solid but unspectacular starter at GUARD over 6 years. Eric Steinbach signed this offseason for 17 million guaranteed over 6 years.

I really don't think it is too outrageous. If contracts didn't explode the way they did currently a new deal would have been negotiated w/ tomlinson before his contract ends because they wouldn't want to pay him 10+ mil a year in the final year according to the old system.

Now I think they'll extend him and be paying him about that much come that time because that will be the going rate for a good running back.