PDA

View Full Version : Williams, Walker upates. Miami?

MJZiggy
04-28-2006, 09:30 AM
DOLPHINS
The Toronto Argonauts contacted the agent for suspended running back Ricky Williams to gauge the player's interest.
BY JASON COLE AND ARMANDO SALGUERO
jcole@MiamiHerald.com

HEADING NORTH? Suspended Miami Dolphins running back Ricky Williams has drawn interest by the Toronto Argonauts of the Canadian Football League.

The Canadian Football League is interested in suspended running back Ricky Williams.

But if Williams hopes to play north of the border, he will need permission from the Dolphins.

The Dolphins on Thursday clarified information they game to the media a day earlier, saying Williams can indeed play in the CFL. However, under the NFL's standard player contract, he must first gain permission.

Agent Leigh Steinberg said Thursday he received a call from Toronto Argonauts assistant general manager Greg Mohns about the possibility of Williams playing. Steinberg said he will talk with Williams, and said any discussions would include the Dolphins.

''[Mohns] inquired into Ricky's interest in playing for a year while on suspension,'' said Steinberg, who later spoke with Dolphins president Bryan Wiedmeier. ``I left a message with Ricky, but I haven't had a chance to discuss it with him.''

Steinberg said he would discuss this relatively soon with Williams, but gave no indication of what might happen. Under CFL rules, players can't earn more than $150,000 in a season. Training camp for the Argonauts opens May 21, he said.

Williams was suspended Tuesday for a minimum of one season for a fourth violation of the NFL's substance-abuse policy. Despite that, he still is subject to rules of his contract.

The ''other activities'' paragraph of the contract reads as such: ``Without prior written consent of the club, player will not play football or engage in activities related to football otherwise than for club or engage in any activity other than football which may involve a significant risk of personal injury.''

Dolphins spokesman Harvey Greene said the team has not been approached by Williams to seek permission.

''Ricky is under contract to the Dolphins and we're not going to speculate on any hypothetical situations,'' Greene said.

TALKS WITH WALKER

The Dolphins have sought and received permission to negotiate a contract with Green Bay Packers receiver Javon Walker for the purpose of working out a trade for the former first-round draft pick from Florida State.

Miami has only an outside chance of landing Walker, however, because the Packers reportedly are further along in negotiations with the Denver Broncos and New Orleans Saints, teams Walker was scheduled to visit Thursday and today.

The Dolphins are in the mix with Kansas City, New England and Philadelphia -- teams that joined the negotiations after Denver and New Orleans.

The reason the Dolphins seem handicapped in their pursuit of Walker is because they don't have the salary-cap space to rival New England or Philadelphia and don't have as high a draft pick to meet Green Bay's asking price as the other teams.

The Packers are looking for a first-round pick, but likely will settle for a second-rounder in this weekend's draft. The Dolphins don't own a second-round pick, but seem willing to offer their third-round selection.

Walker is coming off knee surgery, but has maintained he will be ready for training camp in July. He has threatened to sit out the first 10 games of the season unless the Packers trade him.

Tarlam!
04-28-2006, 10:00 AM
Only if Miami offers us their 2006 entire remaining draft, or, their 1st next year, cause they're gonna suck again...

MJZiggy
04-28-2006, 10:03 AM
The curious thing to me is that Miami has no visit but permission to negotiate, but from what I read this morning, NO and Denver have permission to visit, but not to negotiate. Weird

billy_oliver880
04-28-2006, 10:42 AM
The curious thing to me is that Miami has no visit but permission to negotiate, but from what I read this morning, NO and Denver have permission to visit, but not to negotiate. Weird

WTF? So its almost as if TT is giving the a glimpse in the door...but not letting them in?

MJZiggy
04-28-2006, 10:44 AM
He sure is keeping control over the whole thing.

No Mo Moss
04-28-2006, 11:02 AM
Good, teams need to know that TT doesn't F*ck around. I'd obviously rather have Walker here, but considering Culpepper got a 2nd in return for him, if TT can get a first or a high 2nd I'll be crazy happy.

RashanGary
04-28-2006, 11:10 AM
If Miami or the other teams asked to look at his knee I think Thompson would let them.

MJZiggy
04-28-2006, 11:22 AM
That's why he went to NO yesterday and Denver today. I wonder if he'll add a quick Miami jaunt this afternoon.

RashanGary
04-28-2006, 11:24 AM
I don't think it's that Thompson is controlling the whole process. He is because that is hwo it works when their under contract but I think those are just the teams that are intrested enough to check out his knee.

MJZiggy
04-28-2006, 11:29 AM
That's the point. He's under contract so TT has control over who he's allowed to talk to. He can't just call up the Bears or Vikes and say, "hey, I'm available." Teams have to talk to TT and get his permission first. He can be a hardass if he feels like it or he can grant permission to those he thinks might make a serious offer for him. I don't think you can expect Walker to be showing up for any team that TT doesn't want to deal him to. Keeps ol' Javon from twisting that screw he's putting into the team.

Partial
04-28-2006, 11:31 AM
Hopefully that knee is in perfect condition in will result in 2 second rounders :D

I can dream can't i?!?

RashanGary
04-28-2006, 11:48 AM
I'm hoping Javon looks like he looked after ever off-season in GB and has an A-OK knee as well.

If Javon impresses a few teams we might get a late 1 or early 2.

Scott Campbell
05-08-2006, 10:48 AM
From PFT.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/OCannabis.jpg

In an effort to lure Ricky Williams to the Toronto Argonauts, Canada makes a minor alteration to its flag.