PDA

View Full Version : Raiders Not Going QB-Say Hello To Randy

Packnut
04-25-2007, 10:03 AM
I'm gonna go out on the limb for this one. I know it goes against all the experts mock drafts. Everyone and their brother has Davis taking JR. I'm not buying it for a couple of reasons.

First, everyone is fixated on the Raiders first pick, but let's not forget they have the 1st pick in the 2nd rd. Only 2 QB's will be off the board by then which leaves all the rest sitting their for Oakland to choose. I really believe Beck from BYU is better than the first 2 guys. No one is talking about this guy yet if you check out his stats, this guy is a pure passer. Another guy with all the tools is Kolb from Houston. Point is, Oakland's next QB does not have to be a first rounder. Davis knows a lot of great QB's have come AFTER the 1st rd.

Safer pick. Everyone agrees the ONLY can't miss player in this draft is CJ. Davis is coming to the end of the line and he can't afford to miss on this one. CJ takes away any risk. Rookie QB's struggle. It's a fact of life. Taking Russell will not pay dividends next season, but CJ will.

The Randy factor. Look at Al's history. He loves having a big play WR. He loved T Brown and he gave up a ton to get Moss. The ONLY way to deflect the flak he's gonna take on trading Moss is by taking CJ. If he gets a 3rd rounder out of us along with a player- say KGB, he can still make a case of turning a bad situation into a positive one.

A lot of Packer fans, including myself have been very down on Teddy for not doing a thing to help this offense. I just refuse to believe that any GM in his right mind would ignore the facts and what is right in front of his eyes. Without a playmaker and a red zone threat, our offense will be the same as it's been the last 3 years. All the improvment in the world from Jennings, Spitz and Colledge is not gonna change our pathetic RZ woes. I believe the reason Thompson did nothing is because this deal with the Raiders was done quite a while ago.

Look at it from TT's point of view. Regardless of and decline in Randy's skills, he is still the deep threat we lack. He also is a tall target in the RZ for Brett. Remember, cover 2 does'nt work in the RZ. Teams man up and a 3 WR set of Moss, Driver and Jennings could be a formidble RZ trio and also would free up our TE in a 1 back 3 WR set.

Thinking along these lines means Teddy does not have to go WR at 16. He can still take Lynch if he's there or he can go defense and get a RB in the 2nd rd. Let's say Lynch is there and Teddy grabs him. Add Moss and Lynch to this offense and you get your answer of why Teddy did nothing and was never concerned about this offense. He answers the critics by at least giving Brett something. It also frees up a lot of his later picks where he can concentrate on defense.

Ok my friends, flame away. Tell me I'm crazy and that my scenario is full of holes. Don't hold back, I can take it! :wink:

ahaha
04-25-2007, 10:15 AM
There is good logic here. My only problem with it it that with those first two picks, the Raiders don't address the worst part of their team. The offensive line gave up 70 sacks last year and provided virtually no holes for the running game. They could get the young stud reciever and a decent QB prospect, but they'll still be awful if they don't improve that o-line.

Packnut
04-25-2007, 10:18 AM
There is good logic here. My only problem with it it that with those first two picks, the Raiders don't address the worst part of their team. The offensive line gave up 70 sacks last year and provided virtually no holes for the running game. They could get the young stud reciever and a decent QB prospect, but they'll still be awful if they don't improve that o-line.

Well, Al can go WR-QB with 1 and 2 and spend the remaining picks drafting all offensive lineman. :lol:

Packnut
04-25-2007, 10:20 AM
Just stumbled upon this. I guess I'm not alone in my goofy thoughts!

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/columnists/rgosselin/stories/042207dnspomockdraft.324c744.html

Joemailman
04-25-2007, 10:45 AM
Or...

Al Davis has never said he wants to get rid of Moss. Davis knows that the moment he takes CJ, Moss's trade value goes down because teams will know he's going to get rid of Moss. They may simply wait for him to release Moss. I say he will take Russell and try to convince Moss that the glory days he had with a strong-armed Culpepper can return with Russell. With a strong WR class, he can still get a high-quality WR on the 2nd round such as Rice or Jarrett.

Cheesehead Craig
04-25-2007, 11:10 AM
One thing that will play a role here is Trent Green. If Green gets traded to Miami (which is rumored to be happening prior to the draft) that means Culpepper would then be available. Davis wants Culpepper. So if this all pans out this way, the Raiders would not have to draft Russell and could then draft CJ or trade down a couple of spots and likely land AP or Joe Thomas.

So I don't think Packnut is all that crazy that Moss could be a Packer as there is some possibility of it. I just don't think it will happen.

Packnut
04-25-2007, 11:13 AM
Or...

Al Davis has never said he wants to get rid of Moss. Davis knows that the moment he takes CJ, Moss's trade value goes down because teams will know he's going to get rid of Moss. They may simply wait for him to release Moss. I say he will take Russell and try to convince Moss that the glory days he had with a strong-armed Culpepper can return with Russell. With a strong WR class, he can still get a high-quality WR on the 2nd round such as Rice or Jarrett.

I looked at that scenario, but I keep coming back to the fact that do you really wanna subject a rookie QB and your 1st rd pick to Randy? I don't think so. That would be to big a risk. If Randy had no problem getting in Cullpepper's face, he'd eat that rookie QB for lunch.

MadtownPacker
04-25-2007, 12:44 PM
you get your answer of why Teddy did nothing and was never concerned about this offense. He answers the critics by at least giving Brett something.
OK Whatever alien has taken over Packnut please free him. All this Thompson love will drive him insane!!

Packnut
04-25-2007, 12:59 PM
you get your answer of why Teddy did nothing and was never concerned about this offense. He answers the critics by at least giving Brett something.
OK Whatever alien has taken over Packnut please free him. All this Thompson love will drive him insane!!

:oops:

CaliforniaCheez
04-25-2007, 01:01 PM
I don't understand the affection displayed for a wahed up old receiver who can only run one route??

MadtownPacker
04-25-2007, 01:08 PM
But that route happens to be Favre's favorite!!

mngolf19
04-25-2007, 01:09 PM
And the Raiders would save more cap space by releasing him vs. trading him. Which would then allow Moss to go where he wishes and competition for his services. More reasons that GB might not get him.

And since when does Al do the safest thing. He will draft whoever he feels like and not care what anyone else thinks. Which then means he might keep Moss and pair him with CJ on the field while drafting one of the other QB's in round 2.

MJZiggy
04-25-2007, 01:10 PM

Exactly.

Packnut
04-25-2007, 01:47 PM
Look, if Randy was 33 or 34, I could buy the washed up scenario. But a WR with the talent he has PROVEN he has just does'nt fade away. It's very foolish to judge him from what happened in Oakland. Do you think any QB can just throw it up? There offense has been a joke for a few years now. No QB and no line to give the QB time would negate Rice's talents.

I'm with Mad on this one. A motivated Moss playing with Favre could be special and answer a lot of our prayers. Besides, anyone who really believes R Martin and Holliday are gonna help this team is living in dream land. Even a washed up Moss is better than those 2 clowns!

Rastak
04-25-2007, 01:54 PM
Look, if Randy was 33 or 34, I could buy the washed up scenario. But a WR with the talent he has PROVEN he has just does'nt fade away. It's very foolish to judge him from what happened in Oakland. Do you think any QB can just throw it up? There offense has been a joke for a few years now. No QB and no line to give the QB time would negate Rice's talents.

I'm with Mad on this one. A motivated Moss playing with Favre could be special and answer a lot of our prayers. Besides, anyone who really believes R Martin and Holliday are gonna help this team is living in dream land. Even a washed up Moss is better than those 2 clowns!

Again, you and I have no idea what motivates Moss. I can tell you he seemed extremely motivated when he got to Oakland and he went off on his head coach during the first preseason game. The dude is slowing down and is injury prone. I firmly believe that but I guess we'll just have to watch him next year and see what he does....maybe if will be different from the last three years.

Partial
04-25-2007, 01:58 PM

Exactly.

And consequently his worst route. Favre throws a terrible long ball. No way is it even close to top 10 in the league at it.

Partial
04-25-2007, 02:05 PM

I don't see TT doing it unless he can swing a trade where we swap firsts with the pats, and swap seconds, give them a 4th.

Packnut
04-25-2007, 03:12 PM

Again, you and I have no idea what motivates Moss. I can tell you he seemed extremely motivated when he got to Oakland and he went off on his head coach during the first preseason game. The dude is slowing down and is injury prone. I firmly believe that but I guess we'll just have to watch him next year and see what he does....maybe if will be different from the last three years.

Nope, we don't. I'm just using some logic here. Randy has to have heard the washed up rumors. The man has to have some kind of pride and drive or else he would not have done what he did. I also believe he respects Favre and every WR who has come to GB has been affected by the "Favre factor", so it's only reasonable to believe Randy would give 110%.

The Shadow
04-25-2007, 04:47 PM
I also do not believe the Raiders pick Russell at #1.
They may very well trade down to #4 with Tampa and STILL get Russell.
Quinn is another possibility if the Browns choose Russell.

Bretsky
04-25-2007, 04:56 PM
I'm gonna go out on the limb for this one. I know it goes against all the experts mock drafts. Everyone and their brother has Davis taking JR. I'm not buying it for a couple of reasons.

First, everyone is fixated on the Raiders first pick, but let's not forget they have the 1st pick in the 2nd rd. Only 2 QB's will be off the board by then which leaves all the rest sitting their for Oakland to choose. I really believe Beck from BYU is better than the first 2 guys. No one is talking about this guy yet if you check out his stats, this guy is a pure passer. Another guy with all the tools is Kolb from Houston. Point is, Oakland's next QB does not have to be a first rounder. Davis knows a lot of great QB's have come AFTER the 1st rd.

Safer pick. Everyone agrees the ONLY can't miss player in this draft is CJ. Davis is coming to the end of the line and he can't afford to miss on this one. CJ takes away any risk. Rookie QB's struggle. It's a fact of life. Taking Russell will not pay dividends next season, but CJ will.

The Randy factor. Look at Al's history. He loves having a big play WR. He loved T Brown and he gave up a ton to get Moss. The ONLY way to deflect the flak he's gonna take on trading Moss is by taking CJ. If he gets a 3rd rounder out of us along with a player- say KGB, he can still make a case of turning a bad situation into a positive one.

A lot of Packer fans, including myself have been very down on Teddy for not doing a thing to help this offense. I just refuse to believe that any GM in his right mind would ignore the facts and what is right in front of his eyes. Without a playmaker and a red zone threat, our offense will be the same as it's been the last 3 years. All the improvment in the world from Jennings, Spitz and Colledge is not gonna change our pathetic RZ woes. I believe the reason Thompson did nothing is because this deal with the Raiders was done quite a while ago.

Look at it from TT's point of view. Regardless of and decline in Randy's skills, he is still the deep threat we lack. He also is a tall target in the RZ for Brett. Remember, cover 2 does'nt work in the RZ. Teams man up and a 3 WR set of Moss, Driver and Jennings could be a formidble RZ trio and also would free up our TE in a 1 back 3 WR set.

Thinking along these lines means Teddy does not have to go WR at 16. He can still take Lynch if he's there or he can go defense and get a RB in the 2nd rd. Let's say Lynch is there and Teddy grabs him. Add Moss and Lynch to this offense and you get your answer of why Teddy did nothing and was never concerned about this offense. He answers the critics by at least giving Brett something. It also frees up a lot of his later picks where he can concentrate on defense.

Ok my friends, flame away. Tell me I'm crazy and that my scenario is full of holes. Don't hold back, I can take it! :wink:

You've officially gone off the deep end, but I hope you are right.

I think you found yourself staring at your avatar for 24 hours straight, and if I did that life would be rosy too.

Bretsky
04-25-2007, 04:59 PM

A motivated Moss would be good for GB. I don't see the Snapper giving away a young player though, unless he really thinks Rodgers is not the answer.

Packnut
04-25-2007, 05:00 PM

I think you found yourself staring at your avatar for 24 hours straight, and if I did that life would be rosy too.

I'm just searching for a reason why he's done nothing. He can't be that stupid can he? I know I'm reaching here, but I need some kind of hope! :roll:

Bretsky
04-25-2007, 05:05 PM

I'm just searching for a reason why he's done nothing. He can't be that stupid can he? I know I'm reaching here, but I need some kind of hope! :roll:

He might be that stupid or
He might just be a chicken shit this year or
He might not really care about the near term and he's doing what he thinks is right for years from now.

Keep looking at those girls; gosh they are HOT

Hope lies in the future; blindly see the light at the end of Snapper Tunnel

MadtownPacker
04-25-2007, 06:56 PM
And consequently his worst route. Favre throws a terrible long ball. No way is it even close to top 10 in the league at it.
Is it really that or maybe his WRs have never had the skill to play that game? That is why I was so pissed at J-traitor walker for wanting out. Favre and the deepball catching dummy where unstoppable and that cannot be denied.

Favre's weakness on the deepball is hitting the WR in stride but that was not walkers game and it isnt moss'. The both jump up and get the ball in front of the DB versus catching it on the run like you are thinking. Favre will have no prob launching it. The only question is who will go get it.

Brando19
04-25-2007, 07:10 PM
Is it really that or maybe his WRs have never had the skill to play that game? That is why I was so pissed at J-traitor walker for wanting out. Favre and the deepball catching dummy where unstoppable and that cannot be denied.

Favre's weakness on the deepball is hitting the WR in stride but that was not walkers game and it isnt moss'. The both jump up and get the ball in front of the DB versus catching it on the run like you are thinking. Favre will have no prob launching it. The only question is who will go get it.

Who will go get it? Judging by the past few years...the other team.

MadtownPacker
04-25-2007, 07:13 PM
Hater! I hope Favre throws a missile through your chest!!!

Brando19
04-25-2007, 07:30 PM
Hater! I hope Favre throws a missile through your chest!!!

I love Favre...I really do. He's my favorite player in the NFL and a big...actually THE reason I became a Packer fan. But let's face it...the past couple years he's slung the ball up for grabs quite a few times and 99% of the time, the other team came down with it unless it was batted down.
And just for the record....I hope Moss runs a route over your heart! Hater!

pbmax
04-25-2007, 08:00 PM
Its not just Packnut and Gosselin (and I think GBRulz has been spilling her guts to PFT and not packerrats!):

POSTED 12:37 p.m. EDT, April 25, 2007
IS MOSS THE REAL WILD CARD?

The real trade possibility to watch over the next few days involves a player who currently is on the Raiders' roster.

There is increasing chatter from our readers regarding Internet message board talk about Oakland receiver Randy Moss being sent to the Packers on draft day. As one of the Wild West, uncorroborated computer rumors goes, Moss was in Green Bay for several hours this week -- as testified to by someone's brother's cousin's friend's aunt's daughter's accountant's paper boy.

We're working right now on whether or not there might be anything to this. If a deal goes down, then it makes the Raiders more likely to take receiver Calvin Johnson with the No. 1 overall pick.

But it doesn't mean that they will. Just as the Raiders could proceed with both JaMarcus Russell and Daunte Culpepper at quarterback, they also could start the Lane Kiffin era without Moss or Johnson at wideout.

pbmax
04-25-2007, 08:03 PM
And Ingle Martin has been beefing up his resume ala George O'Leary:

POSTED 8:49 a.m. EDT; LAST UPDATED 10:38 a.m. EDT, April 25, 2007 on PFT

DOES INGLE MARTIN KNOW SOMETHING WE DON'T?

We reported a couple of months back that the Packers had offered quarterback Aaron Rodgers to the Raiders for receiver Randy Moss. The deal hasn't gone down -- and even if Moss is shipped to Green Bay it doesn't mean that Rodgers will be the guy who goes to Oakland.

But a reader has pointed out to us an item from the web site of D1 Sports Training. One of the co-owners of the facility is Packers quarterback Ingle Martin. And the site declares that Martin is currently the second-string quarterback of the Packers.

It could be that the site was last updated after Rodgers was injured in 2006, which elevated Martin to No. 2 (but for only two days, until Todd Bauman was signed). Or it could be that Martin is under the impression that he'll be the No. 2 to Brett Favre in 2007, even if Rodgers is still on the team.

And the struggles of Rodgers in Green Bay are a lesson to any team that is drafting in the bottom half of round one. Even if a team is reasonably certain that a player slated to go in the top of the draft will be long gone by the time it picks, there's still plenty of wisdom in doing a full work-up for every guy in which the team would potentially be interested, if he were to drop.

As the legend goes, the Packers assumed Rodgers would be long gone, and as a result they hadn't fully evaluated him. With that full evaluation, it's possible that Rodgers would have continued to slide past No. 24.

HarveyWallbangers
04-25-2007, 09:27 PM
Favre is not terrible at throwing the long ball. I'd bet in his prime he graded slightly above average. It is his worst route to throw though. Then again, it is for most QBs.

retailguy
04-25-2007, 09:43 PM
A motivated Moss would be good for GB. I don't see the Snapper giving away a young player though, unless he really thinks Rodgers is not the answer.

Moss for Ingle Martin!

Packnut
04-27-2007, 06:49 PM
I called it. It's coming my friends. Say hello to Randy. Rumors are all over the place!