PDA

View Full Version : Latest Kiper Chat-Hot Off The Press!

Packnut
04-25-2007, 11:15 AM
ESPN.com | MyESPN | Member Services Welcome, Larry | Sign Out

ESPN Web

Chat with Mel Kiper

Welcome to The Show! On Wednesday, football expert Mel Kiper will drop by to talk college football, NFL, the draft and anything other questions you might have about the gridiron.
Send your questions now and join Mel this Wednesday at 11 a.m. ET!

Kiper Archive: Read all of Kiper's pre-draft chats | Columns

Buzzmaster: We're getting Mel right now!

Buzzmaster: Mel will be here in five mintues! He's busy wrapping up some other draft related content. Keep sending in those questions!

Mel Kiper: We've got some hot guys rising up the draft board. John Beck is hot. Levi Brown is hot. The other question is does Jarrett drop to the second round?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rob (Delaware): There are rumors floating out there that John Beck could be the 3rd QB taken. Any truth to that and doesnt Stanton deserve to go over Beck?

Mel Kiper: You always have to juggle your own ratings with what you think is going to happen. The way I have them ranked is Stanton, Edwards and Beck. It's a case where Stanton's stock has slipped a bit. Beck and Edwards are very hot. They've gained a lot of momentum right now. If Detroit doesn't take a QB in the first, they'll be looking for one in the second round. Who will be available for them?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Peter (Quahog, RI): Which player currently projected in the first round is the most over-rated?

Mel Kiper: There are a couple that are overrated. Alan Branch, DT, Michigan. Chris Houston, CB, Arkansas.

Clayton (Houston, TX): If the Browns pass on AD, is there a chance he gets to the Texans at 10?

Mel Kiper: If the Browns passed on him, I would say he ends up in Minnesota at 7. But Minnesota has Chester Taylor. So they'll weigh the best player on the board versus need areas. If not there, then Houston. Unless, Buffalo at 12 or Green Bay at 16 try to trade up to get him.

Tim Chewning Roanoke, Virginia: Mel, what do you see the Colts doing with their first pick? Any chance they take a wide receiver?

Mel Kiper: Yeah, if a Jarrett is there. Steve Smith. Gonzalez. There will be some interesting WRs on the board at 32. Also, a DT like Justin Harrell. The WRs might make the best value for them.

Justin Beers (Wilmington, Ohio): What kind of draft do you think the Cincinnati Bengals will have, and will they draft better quality players in terms of off field situations?

Mel Kiper: That's obviously going to be the case. They have to address the character issue heavily. They need to prioritize character more now than any other team has.

Lanny Dallas, Texas: What are the chances of Anthony Gonzalez going in the first round? Because he's impressed alot of scouts...I'm a vikes fan and would love the Vikes to be able to get him in the second..

Mel Kiper: He's the kind of guy that the Colts would look at. People ask why do they need a WR, but when you look at their WRs, Stokley was released and they don't really have that third guy. He was a key cog in their offense. Someone in that mold would be an Anthony Gonzalez. He runs good routes, shows good hands. He runs 4.4. He verticalled 38 inches. This is a kid that has talent. For the Colts, this is the kind of guy he likes. He's productive, tough, hard-nosed. That's a typical Dom Anile and Bill Polian type pick.

Big Seelz [Wayne, PA]: Mel- How seriously do you think my Eagles are looking at Brian Leonard? How is he NOT a great fit for us?

Mel Kiper: I think he's a great fit too. He's not just a fullback, he's a running back. He's an H-back. The Eagles are the one team in the first round that you could say don't have a critical need area. They have the luxury to take a guy at pick 26 like a guy like Brian Leonard. They have the luxury. Everyone thought all along that he would be a second round pick. But if the Eagles took him in the first round, no one would criticize the pick.

Todd (FL): How far would Branch slip - could he be skipped in first round completely?

Mel Kiper: No. He's too physically gifted to slide too far. The thing that hurt him in my mind was that he wasn't that productive. Okoye had 55 tackles and Branch only had 25. The production just wasn't there. You're drafting him more on just physical prowess. He could go to 11 or 13 to St. Louis. He could go 23 to KC. He could go 25 to the Jets. He could go to any of those teams.

tim (atlanta, ga): Mr. Kiper the DT from Univ. of Tenn is Justin Harrell is a beast and should be in the top 15 of the draft. I see that you have him 2nd on you DT rankings but got Branch going over him your mock draft that is weird and Branch is not the real deal at all

Mel Kiper: Actually, he's behind Okoye and ahead of Branch. I think he's a heckuva player. If he had been healthy all year - he dominated against Cal. Where would he be right now if he hadn't gotten hurt? He would be a top 15-20 pick. He's in that late first round mix. I could see KC, the Jets, certainly Indy all looking at him.

Derek , Ottawa , Ontario, Canada: who is the best LB in the draft?

Mel Kiper: Patrick Willis from Ole Miss. After that, you'd probably go to Lawrence Timmons and Posluszny next right together and then David Harris from Michigan. Jon Beason from Miami after them.

Rob: (Minneapolis): If C. Johnson is still on the board when Cleveland is up, do you feel they would be willing to trade down with a team like the Vikes at #7? Thanks.

Mel Kiper: That's not going to happen. No. Calvin Johnson at worst will be the second pick overall, with someone trading into the pick. There is some talk where the Lions will draft him and trade him. I don't think that's a good idea. You lose your leverage. I think Tampa has the best chance to move up to get him. There's no way he's there for Cleveland.

Brandon (New York, NY): Who do you see as the 3rd RB off the board after Peterson and Lynch, and what pick will that be?

Mel Kiper: I'd say it will probably be at 43 to Buffalo. It could be Kenny Irons. It could be Chris Henry. I thought Antonio Pittman might be the guy about a month ago. But now there's more indication that it could be one of those other two.

tony, college park, MD: what should the Steelers do with their first round pick, go defense?

Mel Kiper: Definitely OLB. That's always been their staple. Their calling card has been their LB play. A guy like Timmons would be ideal for their defense. They might look at an Anthony Spencer.

Dave (Chicago, IL): Who in the first round would you say is the "safest bet" to be a good pick?

Mel Kiper: Calvin Johnson is the guy. It's all about him in the first round. Another guy that I think will be a solid player will be Leon Hall. I like Joe Staley. Ben Grubbs is almost a guaranteed Pro Bowler. I think he'll be one of the best guards in the NFL.

E (Omaha): Hey Mel - How far is Brandon Jackson sliding down the board?

Mel Kiper: I thought a month ago that he'd go in the fourth round. I still think somewhere in the third to fifth round. RBs like Jackson, who had limited productivity. He had some injuries. Guys like that tend to drop a bit. Early Day 2 would be my guess right now.

Jay (SD): What player in the draft do you consider the "riskiest pick"

Mel Kiper: I think the two guys are Alan Branch and Chris Houston. Branch has great upside and he's physically gifted. He's flashed his brilliance. Houston has played exclusively in press bump and run coverage. But he has great speed and strength. There is a question if he can adapt after playing only one coverage.

Jesse(AL): What postion will the Rams go for in the second round if they get a DE in the first?

Mel Kiper: I think they could get a C/OG a guy like Samson Satele from Hawaii. He's an underrated player in the draft. He's fiery, tough. He's a great athlete. He's strong overall. He doesn't have long arms. He's still a heckuva player. He can play center or guard.

Dre (Oakland): Mel, where does Tony Hunt fall on your draft board now? Two months ago he was the third rated back in the draft.

Mel Kiper: In my opinion, his stock has dropped a bit. He's not explosive. I thought he coughed the ball up a bit too much. Ball security is a bit of an issue with him. But he does have some versatility. He's not flashy, he's not dynamic. I'd say he's third or fourth round.

Jarvis Franklin Macon, Georgia: The Falcon neeed area is O line, but do they go best player if Landry is still on the borad.

Mel Kiper: I think if Landry is on the board, he's in the mix. Levi Brown will be in the mix. And I don't think you can count out Okoye. Petrino coached him.

B (NY): If the Browns end up not taking a quarterback in the first round what player(s) will they be most interested in?

Mel Kiper: If they don't pick at QB, you look at Peterson or Thomas. If they take Peterson, then they're not going to draft another QB. If they don't draft Quinn, they won't go after another QB. But they'll still need OL and CB help.

Juan Chicago, IL: Do you think Posluszny will slip to the Bears, or will they be looking offense?

Mel Kiper: I don't think they'll be picking in the first round. I think they'll move out of the 31st spot and get into the second round. Last year, they got Manning and Hester in the second round. The position that they'll look to upgrade is OL, WR, TE. Depending upon what happens with Briggs, they might need an OLB.

Jon, NE: Assuming the Raiders fill their QB need with the 1st pick, who might still be around when they pick 33rd that would be an exciting value pick?

Mel Kiper: I think the LT Tony Ugoh is a gifted athlete. He could be an interesting prospect at 33.

Tim (DC): Do you see the Pat's moving in the 1st round since they are the only team with 2 picks?

Mel Kiper: They could use one first round and trade out of the first with the other one. They have options. They could pick at 24 and trade 28. They are the kind of team that drafts well and knows how to strategize on draft day.

KYLE (Atlanta): Any chance Amobi Okoye could play DE in the NFL?

Mel Kiper: He's a DT. He's one of those guys that's quick, strong. He gets leverage. He gets under the pads of the center and guard. He can get up field and get into that backfield. He's a Bryant Young type.

Greg NY: Mel, where do you see Leon Hall landing?

Mel Kiper: I'd say he goes anywhere between either 7 to Minnesota, 10 to Houston, 12 to Buffalo.

Pete (Philly): Which of the three "other" safety prospects would be the best fit for the eagles. Nelson, Merriwhehter or Griffin?

Mel Kiper: I have them taking Nelson. I have him projected to them. He's a playmaker. He's got a little bit of Ed Reed in him. He's at the right place at the right time. He was reguarded as one of the best defensive players on that talented Florida football team. He's got some cover skills. There are some that think he can handle CB in the NFL.

Mel Kiper: We'll be back next Wednesday for a draft review chat. There will definitely be a lot to talk about then. Take care.

Tools Email Story

Most Sent

Daily Email

Print

ESPN.com: Help | PR Media Kit | Sales Media Kit | Report a Bug | Contact Us | Site Map | Jobs at ESPN | Supplier Information | Copyright ©2007 ESPN Internet Ventures. Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and Safety Information/Your California Privacy Rights are applicable to you. All rights reserved.

Lurker64
04-25-2007, 11:37 AM
Wouldn't Leonard in the 1st be a pretty big reach? I see him more of a late 2nd, early 3rd round guy but then again, I don't have Mel Kiper's hair.

Packnut
04-25-2007, 11:51 AM
Wouldn't Leonard in the 1st be a pretty big reach? I see him more of a late 2nd, early 3rd round guy but then again, I don't have Mel Kiper's hair.

I believe Mel out-thinks himself on some of these picks.

Fritz
04-25-2007, 11:56 AM
He tends to get most of the players who will be first round picks correct - but he, like all of us, has little clue as to which teams will get which guys.