PDA

View Full Version : Dwayne Bowe

Fritz
04-25-2007, 03:00 PM
The more I read about this guy in various scouting reports, the more I like him. You hear fewer negative comments about him than about anyone else. The only big negative seems to be his speed, but Dwayne Jarrett, Meachem, and Rice also get knocked for not being speedsters. Reviews consistently talk about Bowe's ability to go get the ball, his route-running, his size, his blocking and his coachability.

He seems to be the most likely of the wide receiver group - outside of Calvin Johnson - to be a consistently good or very good NFL wide receiver. He'd be a good teammate and a red-zone threat. As one review noted, he's willing to do the dirty work, too, and is reminiscent of Muhsin Mohammed.

If TT trades down and can nab this guy, I would be pleased. Meachem, Ginn, Rice, and Jarrett all have big question marks of one kind or another. Not this guy.

What do you all think?

Packnut
04-25-2007, 03:06 PM
I've been touting Bowe here for quite a while. I think after CJ,Bowe is one of the safer picks. He's gonna be a solid #2 WR and may-be even a #1 for a WC offense. I agree he may not have the upside of Meachem, but he is less of a risk. That WR speed thing is an over-rated myth in the NFL. With teams playing more deep cover two's the road-runner would have problems going deep on pure speed alone.

Ya gotta be able to out-jump DB's like a certain ex-Packer does and Bowe proved all during his senior year that he could come down with jump balls.

Fritz
04-25-2007, 03:09 PM
I agree Packnut. Part of the problem is that when people see "safer" pick they automatically assume he's got little talent or upside, but Bowe seems to be very talented.

And he will be able to get off jams - oh, and on top of that he'd be able to come down with jump balls, whether he's open or not.

I'd feel good about TT trading down a bit to pick up an extra third, then taking Bowe.

Joemailman
04-25-2007, 03:13 PM
He'd be my guy. He gets good separation despite a lack of blazing speed. And as we saw with Walker a few years ago, if you can go up for the ball, you can be a deep threat even if you are reasonably well covered. If I were TT, the only question would be whether to take him at 16, or trade down and hope he is available a bit later. Some mocks have Jax taking him at 17, so trading down would be a gamble if you want him.

Packnut
04-25-2007, 03:13 PM
I agree Packnut. Part of the problem is that when people see "safer" pick they automatically assume he's got little talent or upside, but Bowe seems to be very talented.

And he will be able to get off jams - oh, and on top of that he'd be able to come down with jump balls, whether he's open or not.

I'd feel good about TT trading down a bit to pick up an extra third, then taking Bowe.

Agreed.

PaCkFan_n_MD
04-25-2007, 03:29 PM
would not be mad with him at all.

Partial
04-25-2007, 03:31 PM
I also would not be dissapointed in him.

He is a good player. Would be a #2. Isn't athletic enough to be a dominating receiver, though. I think it might be worth taking the chance on Meachem over this guy simply because he is a better athlete and the upside is higher.

Joemailman
04-25-2007, 03:31 PM
Here's what Sporting News says about him. One thing I like about him is that the negatives they mention can mostly be eliminated with coaching. The positves are here to stay.

Dwayne Bowe
WR, LSU

War Room analysis
Strengths: Is tall and well built. Shows the strength and balance to keep his feet after hard hits. Can break tackles. Fights to the whistle. Runs good routes. Shows quickness and burst out of cuts to get consistent separation. Can get away on deep routes. Is tough, and catches passes over the middle. Shows good hands to snag high and off-target passes. Is excellent on jump balls.

Weaknesses: Must eliminate back-foot false step at the snap. Must catch passes more consistently with his hands; too often allows passes to hit his body and drop. Should be more consistent at breaking tackles. Is not a game breaker.

Bottom line: Bowe surprises with his quickness, athleticism and speed. He should be a productive possession receiver on short-to-medium routes and dominate in the red zone.

Bretsky
04-25-2007, 04:32 PM
I'm fine with Rice
Im fine with Bowe

I'm finer with Meachem

retailguy
04-25-2007, 09:32 PM
I'm fine with Rice
Im fine with Bowe

I'm finer with Meachem

I kind of like the guys we got. I don't think we need to draft anybody.

Fritz
04-26-2007, 11:49 AM
Meachem gets so many mixed reviews, Bretsky...he could be great, I suppose, but it looks like his "bust" potential is high, too. Bowe, on the other hand, looks like he will be more of a sure thing, and not just a mediocre sure thing, either. He's going to be a workhorse in this league, a guy who catches passes, gets the jump balls, scores TD's in the red zone and blocks like crazy.

woodbuck27
04-26-2007, 02:00 PM
I'm fine with Rice
Im fine with Bowe

I'm finer with Meachem

I kind of like the guys we got. I don't think we need to draft anybody.

I simply place my trust in whatever Ted Thompson decides.

He's da MAN.