PDA

View Full Version : PETA wants Vick suspended

Brando19
04-26-2007, 06:49 PM
Police conducting a drug investigation raided a house owned by Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick and found dozens of dogs, some injured and emaciated.

Police also found items associated with dog fighting.
State Police Sgt. D.S. Carr said Vick's relative, Davon Boddie, 26, lives in the house. Vick owns the property, but doesn't live there and wasn't present when a search warrant was executed in a drug investigation Wednesday night, Carr said.

Boddie was arrested outside a nightclub by Hampton police April 20 on charges of distribution of marijuana and possession with intent to distribute. The search warrant was executed by a multijurisdictional task force in a narcotics probe.

More than 60 dogs were found in three buildings. Some appeared malnourished, scarred and injured, officials said.

Wayne Pacelle, president and CEO of The Humane Society of the United States, said the group has "heard troubling reports for some time that Michael Vick has been involved in organized dog fighting, and we fear that this investigation may validate that very disturbing allegation."

"We urge law enforcement to aggressively investigate this matter, and we further believe that anyone who harbors dogs for the purpose of fighting, deserves to be fully prosecuted for their crimes," Pacelle said in a statement. "Dog fighting is a barbaric activity that causes immense animal suffering and fosters violence in our communities. Our nation should have a zero tolerance policy for any form of staged animal fighting."

The Humane Society said dog fighting is illegal nationwide and a felony in 48 states, including both Virginia and Georgia.

The animal rights group PETA has asked Falcons owner Arthur Blank to suspend Vick pending the investigation and "to kick him off the team if it is found that dogs on Vick's property were neglected or used for fighting."

In a letter to Blank, People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals said it was the second time it was writing to the owner about one of his players and allegations of cruelty to animals. On Feb. 23, the organization wrote to him about defensive tackle Jonathan Babineaux's felony charges in Georgia stemming from the fatal beating of a dog.

Falcons spokesman Reggie Roberts said the team still was gathering information on the report and had no immediate comment.

A spokeswoman for Vick's foundation declined comment. Joel Segal, the quarterback's agent, and Larry Woodward, a Virginia attorney who has worked with both Vick and his younger brother, Marcus, didn't immediately return telephone messages seeking comment.

The probe at Vick's property is the latest in a serious of embarrassing incidents for the Atlanta quarterback.

He was named in a sordid lawsuit that accused him of knowingly infecting a woman with a sexually transmitted disease and using the alias "Ron Mexico" while seeking treatment. The case was settled out of court.

Last season, Vick flashed an obscene hand gesture to heckling Atlanta fans as he walked off the field following a dismal loss to New Orleans. He was fined $10,000 by the NFL and donated another $10,000 to charity.

In January, security officers at Miami International Airport seized a water bottle from Vick that they said smelled of marijuana and had a hidden compartment. Authorities later said there were no drugs in the bottle, and Vick explained that he used the secret compartment to carry jewelry.

Just this week, Vick came under more criticism when he failed to show for a lobbying appearance on Capitol Hill in support of increased funding for after-school programs. He missed a connecting flight in Atlanta and didn't turn up for a later flight.

Vick and two other former Virginia Tech stars — Falcons cornerback DeAngelo Hall and former Buffalo Bills defensive end Bruce Smith — are scheduled to join Hokies football coach Frank Beamer and NFL commissioner Roger Goodell in a predraft ceremony in New York on Saturday to honor the victims of the recent shooting at the Blacksburg school.

Other athletes have been linked to dog fighting.

The NBA's Qyntel Woods pleaded guilty in January 2005 to animal abuse and was sentenced to probation and community service, in addition to pledging $10,000 to the Oregon Humane Society. Former NFL player LeShon Johnson has twice run afoul of the law for ties to dogfighting.

RashanGary
04-26-2007, 06:54 PM
Holy Crap!!

Is this a joke? If this guy is really doing this insane crap to risk his career he needs to get suspended.

The Falcons are complete idiots if they defend this loser. I would cut him even though he's my favorite player on Madden 2006.

MadtownPacker
04-26-2007, 06:55 PM
Man, vick has turned intot a real piece of shit on the field as well as off. ATL really screwed up paying this useles, punkass excuse for a QB. VT should have nothing to do with him.

Brando19
04-26-2007, 07:00 PM
I bet the Falcons are kicking themselves in the ass for letting Schaub go. Vick should have been the one let go. This story is all over the news. He's a piece of crap.

packinpatland
04-26-2007, 07:04 PM
Man, vick has turned intot a real piece of shit on the field as well as off. ATL really screwed up paying this useles, punkass excuse for a QB. VT should have nothing to do with him.

So, I'm thinking the extremely articulate, sincere sounding quote that was read on the NFL channel from Michael Vick in response to the recent tragedy at VT really didn't come from him.
..............probably his agent.

Joemailman
04-26-2007, 07:23 PM
The house was owned by Vick, and the guy living there was recently arrested for intent to distribute marijuana. The fact that Vick may be involved in dog fighting, as sick as that is, may be the least of his problems. Those Vick boys are a couple of classy guys. If I were Atlanta, I'd be looking to trade up, but for Quinn or Russell, not CJ.

MJZiggy
04-26-2007, 07:35 PM

So, I'm thinking the extremely articulate, sincere sounding quote that was read on the NFL channel from Michael Vick in response to the recent tragedy at VT really didn't come from him.
That caused a bit of embarrassment for him as well:

From PFT: HAMILTON REALLY GIVES BACK TO TECH

Last week, we posted an item criticizing the aforementioned Mr. Vick for donating what likely amounts to less than one week's worth of interest that he earns on the money that he has in the bank to the families of the victims of the Virginia Tech massacre. Our opinions drew strong reactions in support of -- and in opposition to -- our opinion that it was a cheesy, superficial P.R. stunt by a guy whose image needs a colon cleansing.

One of the voices who opposed our views asked us to identify whether other former Hokies were doing anything to help the cause.

The answer is yes.

Former Tech football player Justin Hamilton is organizing a drive to raise money for scholarships in memory of each of the persons killed on April 16.

"I was feeling guilty last week," Hamilton said. "I knew I was in a position to do something, but I didn't know what to do. I wanted to do something so that people will remember the victims' names forever."

So Hamilton has teamed up with former Tech linebacker Brenden Hill (a late-round pick at best in this weekend's draft) to challenge players from every pro sports league, NASCAR, tennis, and track and field to donate to the cause.

Hamilton has led the charge by pledging $50,000 of his own money. As a rookie with the Browns in 2006, he made only $275,000 in salary.

Applying that same ratio to Mr. Vick, his contribution would be at least seven figures.

We applaud Hamilton and Hill for their efforts, and we hope that -- at a minimum -- every current and former pro athlete who attended Virginia Tech will make a significant contribution.

And just for Joe:

FALCONS, LIONS TALKING TRADE

A source with knowledge of the situation tells us that the Lions and Falcons currently are discussing the possibility of a trade that would give Atlanta the No. 2 overall pick in the draft, and that would move Detroit down to No. 8.

If a deal gets done, however, be prepared for the Lions to get a better package than the trade chart would suggest. Given reports that Falcons owner Arthur Blank has ordered G.M. Rich McKay to "git 'r done", and in light of quarterback Mike Vick's currently unfolding legal entanglement, the Falcons are desperate (we believe) to get a player who has the appeal of Mike Vick, without the warts (or other bodily defects).

The Lions can name their price on this one, and they'd be wise to aim high.

Rastak
04-26-2007, 07:56 PM
The house was owned by Vick, and the guy living there was recently arrested for intent to distribute marijuana. The fact that Vick may be involved in dog fighting, as sick as that is, may be the least of his problems. Those Vick boys are a couple of classy guys. If I were Atlanta, I'd be looking to trade up, but for Quinn or Russell, not CJ.

No kidding....I hope that f'ing asshole blows all four of his knee ligaments next year, what a prick.

packerbacker1234
04-27-2007, 10:33 AM
I bet there seriously feeling like crap because shaub, the security blanket, is gone.

It looks like the ex cowboys QB may get to start again.

Terry
04-27-2007, 11:00 AM
No kidding....I hope that f'ing asshole blows all four of his knee ligaments next year, what a prick.

I'm glad you beat me to it. I was going to wish worse on him than that!

Merlin
04-27-2007, 12:39 PM
Michael Vick = OVER RATED. The Falcon's have to be the stupidest franchise next to the current Vikings ownership...

MJZiggy
04-27-2007, 12:40 PM
Michael Vick = OVER RATED. The Falcon's have to be the stupidest franchise next to the current Vikings ownership...

They've been taking lessons from the Lions.

Partial
04-27-2007, 12:43 PM

Probably his publicist. He has 100+ net worth to his name I am sure, so my guess is he skipped the agent and went straight for the professional writer.

Joemailman
04-27-2007, 06:15 PM
Vick pleads ignorance in dog-fighting case

ATLANTA (AP) - Michael Vick blamed family members for taking advantage of his generosity after a police raid found evidence of dog fighting at property he owns in Virginia.

An animal rights group scoffed at that explanation, saying it's long suspected the Atlanta Falcons quarterback was involved in the fight-to-the-death activity.

Embroiled in another embarrassing — and perhaps criminal — situation, Vick traveled to New York on Friday to take part in activities leading up to the NFL draft.

Appearing at a news conference to announce his participation in the NFL Quarterback Challenge, Vick described himself as an unwitting victim of relatives living on his property in Smithfield, Va.

"I'm never at the house," Vick said, according to ajc.com. "I left the house with my family members and my cousin. They just haven't been doing the right thing."

Police conducting a drug investigation raided the Vick-owned house and found dozens of dogs, some injured and emaciated. Investigators also discovered items associated with dog fighting.

Vick claimed he knew nothing about it.

"It's unfortunate I have to take the heat," he said. "If I'm not there, I don't know what's going on. It's a call for me to really tighten down on who I'm trying to take care of. When it all boils down, people will try to take advantage of you and leave you out to dry. Lesson learned for me."

John Goodwin, who handles dog-fighting issues for The Humane Society of America, was skeptical that Vick was unaware of such a large operation — especially when police were led to the property as part of a drug investigation after arresting the quarterback's 26-year-old cousin, Davon Boddie.

Goodwin said authorities found 66 dogs on the property, mostly pit bulls who appeared to be involved in organized fighting. He estimated it would cost up to $100 a day just to feed that number of animals, not to mention other hefty expenses.

"Who's paying to feed all those dogs?" Goodwin asked. "Who has the money to feed 66 pit bulls that's in some way, shape or form related to that property?"

He said The Humane Society has heard for several years that Vick was personally involved in the brutal, clandestine activity, which is banned nationwide and a felony in 48 states, including Virginia and Georgia. A conviction in Virginia carries a maximum sentence of five years in prison and a $2,500 fine.

"We get a lot of calls, and people were always kind of kicking his name around," Goodwin said. "But it was always difficult to put together a complete case on the guy. The word is that he has multiple layers of protection. When the search warrant was executed and they found all the things they found, it really came as no surprise."

Falcons spokesman Reggie Roberts said the team would not have a comment until it got more details on the investigation. Vick's attorney, Larry Woodward, did not return a telephone message seeking comment for the second day in a row.

"The search warrant was issued in a matter unrelated to the property owner, Mr. Michael Vick," Surry County Sheriff Harold D. Brown said.

Goodwin, who has worked with authorities on numerous dog-fighting cases, said he was told that officers also found bloody strips of carpeting, commonly used in dog-fighting pits, and "breaking sticks" — hammer-like devices used to pry open an animal's jaw after a fight.

The NFL said it is looking into the matter. Commissioner Roger Goodell has made it clear he intends to crack down on players involved in off-the-field misconduct.

Goodell might be swayed by a string of embarrassing incidents involving Vick, starting with a sordid lawsuit that accused him of knowingly infecting a woman with a sexually transmitted disease and using the alias "Ron Mexico" while seeking treatment. The case was settled out of court.

Last season, Vick flashed an obscene hand gesture to heckling Atlanta fans as he walked off the field following a loss. He was fined $10,000 by the NFL and donated another $10,000 to charity.

In January, security officers at Miami International Airport seized a water bottle from Vick that they said smelled of marijuana and had a hidden compartment. Authorities later said there were no drugs in the bottle, and Vick explained that he used the secret compartment to carry jewelry.

Just this week, Vick came under more criticism when he failed to show for a lobbying appearance on Capitol Hill in support of increased funding for after-school programs. He missed a connecting flight in Atlanta through no fault of his own, but didn't turn up for a later flight.

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals has asked Falcons owner Arthur Blank to suspend Vick pending the investigation and "to kick him off the team if it is found that dogs on Vick's property were neglected or used for fighting."

Goodwin said The Humane Society would take a similar stand if criminal charges were filed against Vick.

While the quarterback insisted he was not involved in dog fighting, he has shown an interest in breeding pit bulls.

In a 2001 profile by The Sporting News, he revealed having a pit bull that already had produced one litter and said he was trying to start a breeding kennel.

"There's more to me than people might think," he said at the time.

You didn't actually think Vick would actually take any responsibility for what went on at his house, did you?