PDA

View Full Version : Steal of the decade = Kampman

Spaulding
04-27-2007, 09:16 AM
It's just flat out amazing how much money is being thrown players this year. Kampman, who is arguably one of the top five defensive ends in the league, being signed to just under 6mil a year as compared to Charles Grant at up to 9mil a year.

NEW ORLEANS (AP) -- Charles Grant agreed to a seven-year contract extension Thursday worth up to $63 million with New Orleans, ending a simmering dispute over the Saints putting the franchise tag on the starting defensive end.

pbmax
04-27-2007, 09:23 AM
You can't believe the hype of first published numbers OR the guaranteed figure. That's the agent talking.

The contract can easily be structured to limit the guarantees and shorten the length. Most of the $20 million in guarantee numbers this year were bogus.

wist43
04-27-2007, 09:23 AM
Let's not go getting carried away...

Kampman is a nice player, but he's not elite... he's a hard worker who produces, but he doesn't scare anyone with his athleticism or first step.

retailguy
04-27-2007, 09:47 AM
Let's not go getting carried away...

Kampman is a nice player, but he's not elite... he's a hard worker who produces, but he doesn't scare anyone with his athleticism or first step.

:lol: :lol:

But, Wist, he's a PACKER, that must mean he's special, no? :wink:

Spaulding
04-27-2007, 09:57 AM
Wist, regardless of him not being the ideal size/weight of a prototypical NFL defensive end, it's hard to argue with his flat out production.

Besides, give me a "player" who gives 110% and is consummate team player as well as active in the community any day over a "talented" and "high ceiling" player who takes plays off or has off field issues.

The value of a guy alone for team chemistry and motivation to the younger players isn't even taken into account - which it should.

As the immortal Patrick Henry's great-great-great-great-great grandson once said - "Give me a defense full of Kampmans or give me Death"

wist43
04-27-2007, 10:07 AM
I like Kampman, always have... you guys know that.

I hardly think pointing out that he's not an elite player is earth shattering news. I know some of you guys think he's an elite player, but he just doesn't garner or warrent that type of respect.

He's a very nice player, but not a difference maker.

MJZiggy
04-27-2007, 10:09 AM
I'm starting to think it's ok that he doesn't get that type of respect, because that way he will continue to be among the sack leaders every year...

packerbacker1234
04-27-2007, 10:12 AM
wist: I don't know how you can claim he isn't "elite". First off, not only did he go to the probowl, he LEAD ALL DE's in sacks. Ok, put that aside, he has been lingering towards the top of DE's for awhile and it just took undeniable numbers to get him recognition. It's like any packer player really. Unless your name is Favre no one national thinks your worth a damn thing.

Moving on to the argument on the steal, you could say the same thing about Driver as well.

Also, compared to other QB's of even LESSER caliber, favre could be considered a steal to. Not too many 15 year starters would be getting payed what he does.

Anyways, can't deny the facts. Kampman is the ultimate team player and his stats credit his will to never give up on a play. To me, thats an elite DE. There are not too many DE's that do that in the league anymore. Most give an initial burst and if they don't get through off there first move they sort of let up. Not kampman. If he doesn't get through he just push's harder and gives another move.

Not Ideal Size, Not Ideal weight. None of that matters when you do everything you possibly can. He wants to get the QB more then most in hte league.

So a steal? Compared to other contracts of DE's who have never ONCE in there career stacked up 15 sacks in a season, yes he is a steal.

ahaha
04-27-2007, 10:34 AM
Steal of the Decade on defense maybe. Tom Brady is the biggest steal overall, probably of the past 40 years.

Spaulding
04-27-2007, 11:41 AM
Sorry, should have been clearer my intention was mostly contract based for a non-rookie.

Thus Kampman at his current price (will get substantially cheaper every year) is a steal. Brady, although top notch is pair as such.

Kampman will quickly become a DE paid in the middle of the pack and hopefully performing near the top.

OS PA
04-27-2007, 11:58 AM
wist: I don't know how you can claim he isn't "elite". First off, not only did he go to the probowl, he LEAD ALL DE's in sacks. Ok, put that aside, he has been lingering towards the top of DE's for awhile and it just took undeniable numbers to get him recognition.

He's also led all defensive linemen in combined tackles for two years running now. This statwise makes him the best defensive end in the league. I don't believe he should garner that tag, because nobody is better than Julius Peppers, but just by looking at his stats he is an Elite player and it would be wrong to think differently.

Partial
04-27-2007, 12:07 PM
He's not in the same class as Jason Taylor and Julius Peppers. He may be in the next tier down, though. Certainly not a hall-of-famer. The two guys listed above probably both will be.

wist43
04-27-2007, 12:14 PM
His numbers are probably better than most of Reggie White's stats year to year... is anyone prepared to say that Kampman is better than White??? Of course not.

Kampman's tackle numbers are probably better than Peppers... again, anyone want to try to make the case that Kamp is better than Peppers??? Of course not.

The difference between Kamp and the elite guys is that Offensive Coords have to acct for them to the point of double and triple teaming them - just to keep them under control - Kampman is rarely, if ever double teamed. The most attention Kampman sees is the occasional chip.

Go back and watch the SF game... the 49er's blocked him one on one with Vernon Davis a healthy percentage of the time (and Davis handled him pretty well) - and not just on plays away from him. Straight up pass blocking, and in the run game... That's almost disrespectful.

Like I said, Kamp is a nice player, and receives kudo's from personnel people around the league... but, when offensive coords are game planning, they treat him like "just another guy". Sorry, but that's the truth of it.

Tarlam!
04-27-2007, 12:26 PM
His numbers are probably better than most of Reggie White's stats year to year... is anyone prepared to say that Kampman is better than White??? Of course not.

Kampman's tackle numbers are probably better than Peppers... again, anyone want to try to make the case that Kamp is better than Peppers??? Of course not.

The difference between Kamp and the elite guys is that Offensive Coords have to acct for them to the point of double and triple teaming them - just to keep them under control - Kampman is rarely, if ever double teamed. The most attention Kampman sees is the occasional chip.

Go back and watch the SF game... the 49er's blocked him one on one with Vernon Davis a healthy percentage of the time (and Davis handled him pretty well) - and not just on plays away from him. Straight up pass blocking, and in the run game... That's almost disrespectful.

Like I said, Kamp is a nice player, and receives kudo's from personnel people around the league... but, when offensive coords are game planning, they treat him like "just another guy". Sorry, but that's the truth of it.

Wisty, if the guy's numbers state he is better than White or peppers, I am prepared to say he is better. Those are the measurables and, that's what he's measured against.

I am not interested if he got done on any individual game. So what? That team had his number. Your point is?

If he consistantly drops QBs or stuffs a marquis back, as he does, I am OK with comparing him.

Regards, Tarlam!

MJZiggy
04-27-2007, 12:28 PM
Wisty, if the guy's numbers state he is better than White or peppers, I am prepared to say he is better. Those are the measurables and, that's what he's measured against.

If he consistantly drops QBs or stuffs a marquis back, as he does, I am OK with comparing him.

Good points.

Zool
04-27-2007, 12:29 PM
How would Kampy do with a double team on every down and the occasional chip thrown in? He's an above average player for sure, and you need guys like him to win games, but as Partial said, he's prolly never getting to the Hall, therefore he's not an elite guy. He's pretty damned good though.

Tarlam!
04-27-2007, 12:33 PM
...but as Partial said, he's prolly never getting to the Hall, therefore he's not an elite guy.....

Well damned. The infamous "Partial's kiss of death is upon him".

Great argument. please be sure to tell Kampy next time you see him, despite his sack and tackle total, Partial said the HOF is beyond reach.

Merlin
04-27-2007, 12:37 PM
Steal of the Decade on defense maybe. Tom Brady is the biggest steal overall, probably of the past 40 years.

Brett Favre was the biggest steal over the past 40 years. Brady without Belechek remains to be seen...

Partial
04-27-2007, 12:41 PM

Brett Favre was the biggest steal over the past 40 years. Brady without Belechek remains to be seen...

Brady will probably go down as the biggest steal simply because he was a 6th round pick. They will both be HOF worthy and in the top 5 best ever, but Brady has more rings, etc and was picked significantly later. The value/draft slot is much higher for Brady than Favre, though both are very, very high.

If Colston becomes a premier player (one of the best in the league for 5+ years), he could end up being one of the biggest bargins ever simply because of his low draft position.

Zool
04-27-2007, 12:52 PM
...but as Partial said, he's prolly never getting to the Hall, therefore he's not an elite guy.....

Well damned. The infamous "Partial's kiss of death is upon him".

Great argument. please be sure to tell Kampy next time you see him, despite his sack and tackle total, Partial said the HOF is beyond reach.Are you wearing undies that are 6 sizes too small today?

Bretsky
04-27-2007, 05:31 PM
I like Kampman, always have... you guys know that.

I hardly think pointing out that he's not an elite player is earth shattering news. I know some of you guys think he's an elite player, but he just doesn't garner or warrent that type of respect.

He's a very nice player, but not a difference maker.

Ya ya ya

Haven't we went here already ?

1. You have a bar higher than Pro Bowl Calibur to define Elite

By your standards the only elite DE in the game is Peppers, and he can hardly be elite yet because he's hurt way too often.

Let's just all agree he's one of the top 10, maybe top 5 DE's in football and the respect/guy cliches behind.

Bretsky
04-27-2007, 05:32 PM
I'm starting to think it's ok that he doesn't get that type of respect, because that way he will continue to be among the sack leaders every year...

I don't buy that respect stuff for one minute; he's improved every year and coaches around the NFL have plenty of respect for the guy after his performance last year.

Merlin
04-27-2007, 08:35 PM
Brady has not seen a different coach, a different offense or a different team. There are a lot of QB's that don't go in the first round that are great NFL QB's. Favre has been through multiple coaches, multiple offenses and multiple teams (although it was his rookie year) and yet he still produces at a high level. Brady isn't spectacular, he manages the game well. When he has to go through a change (e.g coaching, offense), then you may see a whole different side of him, and not a good one. Also, he doesn't have any NFL MVP awards, just super bowl MVP's and those should have gone to Vinatari because his performance wasn't anything special in any super bowl. Based on Adai and Rhodes getting shafted for the "all me" Manning for this yeas super bowl MVP, it's a popularity contest, not the player who meant the most to the winning team.

wist43
04-27-2007, 08:56 PM

I don't buy that respect stuff for one minute; he's improved every year and coaches around the NFL have plenty of respect for the guy after his performance last year.

I agree that everyone respects Kampman...

Instead of tossing around terms like top 5 or top 10 w/o actually going down the rosters and looking at all the DE's in the league... I decided to do just that.

After looking at all the teams rosters, I would put Kampman somewhere around the 10th best DE in the league... at least he's in that discussion. That's not bad.