PDA

View Full Version : Packers defense is no secondary issue for the draft.

woodbuck27
04-27-2007, 03:08 PM
http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070427/PKR01/704270586/1989

Posted April 27, 2007

NFL draft preview: Defense is no secondary issue

Safety would fill immediate void while cornerback would solve a long-term need

By Pete Dougherty
pdougher@greenbaypressgazette.com

All signs from his first two-plus years as Green Bay's general manager suggest Ted Thompson is trying to build a defensive-oriented team for the post-Brett Favre Packers and the cold climate of Northeastern Wisconsin.

That could lead to a second straight season of drafting a defensive player in the first round. Last year, it was linebacker A.J. Hawk taken fifth overall. This year, it could be one of a handful of defensive linemen, or perhaps a defensive back, most likely a cornerback but perhaps a safety.

This year's cornerback class lacks an elite performer, and if one goes among the top 10 picks, it probably will be based more on need than ability. But there's a chance one of the top two cornerback prospects in a generally weak group will be available when the Packers select at No. 16.

"I think the better athletes now are playing receiver, not defensive back," the college scouting director for an NFC team said.

"That's why you better have a good pass rush, or else you can't cover anybody."

Another scout said: "Upper-end talent and depth, it's not great at corner (this year)."

The Packers don't have an opening for a starting cornerback with the return of veterans Al Harris and Charles Woodson, but they need a No. 3 corner for nickel and dime personnel, which combined they use usually about half a game.

Plus, Harris (32) and Woodson (30) are old enough where there's no knowing how much longer they'll remain starting-caliber players. So, the Packers are ripe for a young prospect to play as the No. 3 cornerback and eventually take over one of the starting jobs.

The top cornerbacks in this draft on many teams' boards are Michigan's Leon Hall and Pittsburgh's Darrelle Revis. For most of the offseason, Hall appeared the more likely to get selected first, but Revis' offseason workouts make it a close call.

Scouts appear split on whether Hall or Revis will be off the board first on Saturday.

"I think (Revis) has more potential," the scouting director for an AFC team said. "Hall may be more consistent right now."

Hall might be the most ready-made of the cornerbacks as a three-year starter and extremely sound and mature player. He doesn't play quite as fast as his surprising 40-yard dash time of 4.40 seconds at the NFL scouting combine suggests, but he has natural cover ability. At 5-11ΒΌ and 193 pounds, Hall plays physically enough to hold up in bump-and-run coverage.

"He's safe," a general manager for one team said.

"He'll never be a Pro Bowl player, but he's a good player and he'll make all the plays he's supposed to. He'll be you're No. 2 (corner) for eight years, and you're going to love him as a person and as a player."

Revis rated high on some teams' lists by early in the offseason, but as a junior entry, he made a name for himself by running the 40 in 4.39 seconds at his campus workout. He could go ahead of Hall, and both could be gone by the Packers' selection at No. 16.

"I don't think he'll be there (at 16)," another GM said.

"I know some people think he's the best (cornerback), but there's a little bit of a hit-or-miss factor there."

Another cornerback who might be a first-round selection is Texas' Aaron Ross, though on many draft boards he's a prospect for the bottom third of the round.

There are three or four safeties who could get drafted in the first round:

LSU's LaRon Landry, Florida's Reggie Nelson, Miami's Brandon Meriweather and Texas' Michael Griffin.

Landry is one of the top players in this draft and probably will be a top-eight pick.

Nelson and Meriweather generally are considered a cut above Griffin, but at least some scouts think even those two shouldn't be considered until the final third of the first round at the earliest and would be reaches at No. 16.

The Packers are looking for a safety who can beat out Manuel for a starting spot, and if they don't select one in the first round, there's a good chance a second-rounder or maybe even a third-rounder could win that job.

Once scout predicted Nelson, Meriweather and Griffin will be good starters in the NFL. The same could be true of Oregon State's Sabby Piscitelli, a likely second-round prospect.

"It just depends if they can beat out the guy you have," the scout said.

"They have to kind of fit you. It takes those guys a year or two to get going. It's hard to walk in because things happen really, really quick (on the field)."

PaCkFan_n_MD
04-27-2007, 03:21 PM
I love how you highlight your articles it saves time when reading....

woodbuck27
04-27-2007, 03:29 PM

I just do that as I read them myself, to get a real sense of the value of the article. :)

woodbuck27
04-27-2007, 05:59 PM
http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/NFL_SC-RUMOR

Green Bay Packers Updated:04/26/2007

According to PackersNews.com, Patrick Willis will be the first linebacker off the board in this weekend's draft, and probably can play any of the three linebacker spots in a 4-3 defense, as well as either of the two inside linebackers in a 3-4.

Willis could be selected shortly after the 10th pick overall, but there's a chance he'll be available when the Packers select at No. 16 overall.

wist43
04-27-2007, 09:06 PM
As I've been saying, I think the Packers are OK at safety. If Underwood is healthy, I think it's his job to lose.

A CB would make sense... I'm hoping for Marcus McCauley. I know he had a terrible senior season, and a shaky Senior Bowl, but he's the most physically gifted corner in the draft.

If, and I know it's an if, he can get his head straight and harness his talent??? Could be a steal in the 2nd round... although I don't think he'll be there at 47.

I concede he's a boom or bust guy.

RashanGary
04-27-2007, 09:12 PM
I wouldn't touch McCauley with anything higher than a 4th round pick. He's not a football player.

ND72
04-27-2007, 09:22 PM
Willis could be selected shortly after the 10th pick overall, but there's a chance he'll be available when the Packers select at No. 16 overall.

There would be so much love coming from ND if Patrick Willis is the Packers selection at 16. I can't even tell you how much I would love that opportunity. Willis, Barnett, Hawk. WOW....then of coruse, I can get my girlfriends family all Patrick Willis jersey's...(it's their last name :wink: )

BallHawk
04-27-2007, 09:28 PM
Patrick Willis is, in terms of productivity, a Hawk clone. If he is there, he will be our pick.

He almost certainly won't be, though. :cry:

wist43
04-27-2007, 09:53 PM
I wouldn't touch McCauley with anything higher than a 4th round pick. He's not a football player.

See, that's just it... in 2005, he was the best college corner in the country, and was regarded as possible top 10 pick. He had a concussion last year, and that seemed to affect him.

PFW's scouting report:

Upside:
6-0 5/8, 201 lbs, 40: 4.36 sec

Outstanding athlete with excellent straight-line speed. Has fast-twitch muscle fiber and natural movement skills for as big as he is. Shows "little man" quickness, a compact pedal and fluid hips. Has smooth back pedal and transition. Can run with receivers and close to the ball quickly.

Has very good speed, acceleration, and playing range. Will play phsyical. Tough and competitive - sustained a concussion vs Oregon, and despite having his helmet taken away by the medical staff, he demanded to play. Will come downhill and support the run hard. Very good worker. Smart. Good character.

Downside:
Wasn't as physical in the second half of the season after sustaining the concussion and was careful about taking on bigger backs in later games. Gets beat over the top more than a player with his ability should and does not play with a lot of confidence. Does not have great downfield ball skills or hands.

Bottom line:
Has rare physical traits and is clearly the most physically gifted corner in the draft, but he played on a bad football team with a weak supporting cast that built for the future late in the year and sat most of its senior starters. Was too distracted and had his confidence shaken playing for a tough-minded, very demanding coaching staff. If he gets with an encouraging, well-schooled position coach or verteran defensive backs from whom he can learn, he could return to junior form and be well worth a first round pick.

Sounds like there's plenty of upside with this guy if he can straighten his head out.

oregonpackfan
04-27-2007, 10:07 PM
"The same could be true of Oregon State's Sabby Piscitelli, a likely second-round prospect. "

I have watched Piscitelli play for Oregon State the past 2 years.

He is mobile, a good tackler, a so-so cover guy, and has a great team effort.

He has immense size for a safety going 6'2" and around 215 lbs. It is possible that the NFL team which drafts him may try to convert him to a linebacker.

Though he is an excellent college level player, I am not convinced he merits any higher than a mid-3rd rounder. He just is not a game-changer like many qualtiy NFL players were when they played collegiately.

Don't get me wrong. I would love to see a young man from an Oregon school do well in the pros. I am just not convinced that he is NFL-calibur.

CaptainKickass
04-27-2007, 10:19 PM

PaCkFan_n_MD -

You got it all wrong man. Here's how Woody woulda done lt:

"I love how you highlight your articles.

It saves time when reading.."

:D :D :D :D

pittstang5
04-27-2007, 11:16 PM
Bottom line:

.......If he gets with an encouraging, well-schooled position coach .........

Well, that's not going to happen in GB. Schotty will have him confused before he gets to GB.

wist43
04-27-2007, 11:55 PM
Bottom line:

.......If he gets with an encouraging, well-schooled position coach .........

Well, that's not going to happen in GB. Schotty will have him confused before he gets to GB.

Actually, Schottenidiot handles the safties... Lionel Washington handles the corners.