PDA

View Full Version : Small School Studs to know

ND72
04-27-2007, 09:15 PM
Small-school studs to know
Although all the hype leading up to Saturday's draft will focus on the top picks, history has proved that NFL superstars come from all rounds -- and as undrafted free agents, for that matter. Be prepared to hear the names of the following 10 small-school prospects during draft weekend. You never know, one of them could become this season's Marques Colston.

1. Justin Durant, LB, Hampton
Durant lacks ideal size, but he is fast, athletic and tough. He dominated the I-AA level with 321 combined tackles during his final three seasons (2004-06). Durant could be the first of five Hampton players selected in the 2007 draft.

2. Ben Patrick, TE, Delaware
Patrick's lack of explosiveness -- both as a receiver and blocker -- should prevent him from ever becoming a full-time starter in the NFL. However, the former Duke transfer is worth considering late on Day 1 because of his combination of athleticism, ball skills and toughness. Patrick could develop into a versatile backup who can contribute as an H-back type on offense, while also providing help on special teams.

3. Jacoby Jones, WR, Lane
Jones needs to get stronger and add some bulk to his frame, but he has the size, speed and athletic ability to develop into a No. 2 or No. 3 receiver who can also contribute in the return game.

4. Allen Barbre, OT, Missouri Southern State
Barbre has the natural ability to develop into a contributor at guard and/or tackle in the NFL. He is a bit undersized and has the mobility to fit a scheme such as the Colts or Broncos. (Personal fan of this guy. Listed as maybe the best overall athlete of all the Offensive lineman)

5. Laurent Robinson, WR/RS, Illinois State
Robinson has shown steady progress as a route-runner and he catches the ball well, but his lack of speed and power could prevent him from developing into an every-down receiver. His quickness and vision in the return game could land him a spot on an NFL roster.

6. Travarous Bain, CB, Hampton
Bain originally attended Miami before transferring to Hampton in 2005, where he earned first team All-MEAC honors during each of his final two seasons. Bain is a developmental Day 2 prospect with the speed, agility and frame to develop into an every-down cornerback in the NFL. However, he is raw and he needs lots of polishing to his technique.

7. Michael Allan, TE, Whitworth
Allan was the only D-III prospect invited to this year's scouting combine. Although he lacks ideal explosiveness and is a marginal-at-best in-line blocker, there's a lot to like about Allan's blend of size, hands and top-end speed. He projects as a fourth-round pick due to his developmental upside.

8. Zak DeOssie, LB, Brown
DeOssie, whose father, Steve, played in the NFL for the Jets, Patriots, Cowboys and Giants, is an Ivy Leaguer looking to make the transition from inside to strongside linebacker in the NFL. He needs to improve his upper-body power and overall technique, but DeOssie's size, speed, bloodline and intelligence make him an attractive early Day 2 prospect.

9. Kevin Boss, TE, Western Oregon
Boss was a two-sport standout at Western Oregon. In addition to notching 134 receptions during his four-year career on the gridiron, Boss played three seasons of basketball for the Wolves. Although he's obviously a gifted athlete, Boss has never had the time to develop physically as a football player. If gets busy in the weight room and kicks the injury bug, Boss has a chance to emerge as a contributing H-back in the NFL.

10. Courtney Brown, CB, Cal Poly Brown flew under the radar at Cal Poly before turning scouts' heads during his pro-day workout. The 6-foot-2, 196-pound cornerback breezed a 4.39 40 and timed out well in all the agility drills. If coached properly and given time to develop, Brown could become a hidden gem on Day 2 of the 2007 draft.

another guy I'd like to throw into this is the WR from UW-Whitewater Derek Stanley. While he's only 5'9", he's super fast, and could be an instant KR/PR starter for any team. Looks to be a 6-7 round pick. If we pass on Ginn, I wouldn't mind getting this guy late. Wisconsin product, and speed.

BallHawk
04-27-2007, 09:20 PM
I would love Ben Patrick in the 3rd, for he will be the best TE out of this draft. Derek Stanley would be nice, too.

I guy that isn't necessarily "small school" but defintely not considered a top guy, is Le'Ron McClain out of Alabama. Great receiver, solid blocker, would be a great pick on the 2nd day.

Jimx29
04-27-2007, 11:27 PM
One more to add: http://www.leadertelegram.com/story.asp?id=82008

HarveyWallbangers
04-27-2007, 11:43 PM
I've actually got the following guys higher in my rankings than most.

1. Justin Durant, LB, Hampton
4. Allen Barbre, OT, Missouri Southern State
6. Travarous Bain, CB, Hampton
8. Zak DeOssie, LB, Brown
9. Kevin Boss, TE, Western Oregon

Durant is a terrific athlete. Barbre is said to be a great fit for the ZBS. Bain is intriguing because of the success of small school DBs like Rashean Mathis and Nick Collins. DeOssie has the pedigree, production, and athleticism to make it in the NFL. In a weak crop of TEs, Boss is intriguing.

LEWCWA
04-28-2007, 01:25 AM
When you read a bio that states a guy will never be a starter in the NFL, why would you even consider drafting him in the 3rd round...makes no sense to me at all...

HarveyWallbangers
04-28-2007, 02:14 AM
When you read a bio that states a guy will never be a starter in the NFL, why would you even consider drafting him in the 3rd round...makes no sense to me at all...

He's also short for a TE at 6'3".

oregonpackfan
04-28-2007, 10:25 AM
Michael Allen, TE from Whitworth(Spokane, WA) could surprise people by making it in the NFL. That Division III school is in the Northwest Conference which has several very tough Division III schools. I have personally seen several games in this conference and felt the quality of play and coaching were highly impressive for Division III.

Two years ago, Linfield College(McMinnville, OR) of the Northwest Conference won the Division III Championship.

Spaulding
04-28-2007, 12:28 PM
Another one to add is Craig Dahl who might be a gem as a safety - athletic, good speed, sound tackler and intelligent - what's not to like?

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=67399

5th round anyone?

HarveyWallbangers
04-28-2007, 01:01 PM
Dahl is my boy. Big, good athleticism, smart (coach's son), and productive at the small school level. He doesn't elite athleticism, but level of competition is the main thing holding him back. He performed well against the likes of Minnesota though.

TennesseePackerBacker
04-28-2007, 01:03 PM
Dahl is my boy. Big, good athleticism, smart (coach's son), and productive at the small school level. He doesn't elite athleticism, but level of competition is the main thing holding him back. He performed well against the likes of Minnesota though.

the whole "coach's son" thing is pretty huge, being trained and taught to be something for as long as you can remember generally produces a hell of a football, if they love the game.

Jimx29
04-30-2007, 10:19 PM
One more to add: http://www.leadertelegram.com/story.asp?id=82008
Good to see the redskins are giving my hometown boy a chance to show off his speed. (4.2840 second 40-yard dash. As a reference, wikipedia.org cites the fastest time officially recorded by the NFL as 4.29 seconds in 1989 by Deion Sanders.)

http://www.leadertelegram.com/story-sports.asp?id=BD32LG8T3A3

HarveyWallbangers
04-30-2007, 10:38 PM
ND and I bragged Barbre up before the draft.
:D

Lurker64
04-30-2007, 10:39 PM

I'm just miffed that neither of you guys mentioned he was one of the gunners on the punt team. Of course if you had, and we didn't draft him I would be brokenhearted.

Packgator
05-01-2007, 04:58 PM

Nice call guys!