View Full Version : MCGINN-PI- MAKES HIS PREDICTION- IT MIGHT BE MEACHEM

Bretsky
04-28-2007, 12:25 AM
Prime catch
Vols receiver Meachem might be Packers' favorite
Posted: April 27, 2007
On the Packers

Bob McGinn

Green Bay - One way or another today, the Green Bay Packers fully intend to acquire a wide receiver and a running back.

The wide receiver could be Oakland's Randy Moss, the mercurial deep threat. Green Bay has expressed interest in Moss since February, and with Raiders owner Al Davis now actively trying to trade him, general manager Ted Thompson just might make that deal.

If not, the Packers have targeted a pair of wide receivers, Tennessee's Robert Meachem and Louisiana State's Dwayne Bowe, with the 16th pick in the National Football League draft.

With both size and speed, Tennessee WR Robert Meachem is reminiscent of Javon Walker.

NFL team sources aren't quite sure how the Packers have Meachem and Bowe rated. It is said to be close. But Meachem (6 feet 2 inches and 216 pounds), almost a clone of the departed Javon Walker, is faster and more dangerous than Bowe and probably a better bet to become the Packers' choice.

Even if running back Marshawn Lynch of California lasts until Green Bay's selection, it appears as if the Packers still prefer Meachem. Lynch would come with nagging character and durability issues, whereas Meachem is considered clean.

If the Packers take the wide receiver in the first round, NFL sources say they have targeted running back Antonio Pittman of Ohio State as their second-round choice (No. 47).

"Everybody has Pittman as the third or fourth back and they've got him in the second round," one personnel director said. "Lynch is better, but Pittman is good. They're trying to get the two best players for their needs."

Pittman (5-10 1/2, 210) might not be big enough to carry the load by himself. But the Packers also appear extremely high on the sudden running style of Vernand Morency (5-9 1/2, 212), who isn't a workhorse, either.

With Pittman and Morency, Green Bay could split the ball-carrying chores in much the same fashion that Indianapolis and Chicago, the two Super Bowl teams, did in 2006.

The distinct possibility also exists that Thompson might trade down a few notches in the first round and pick up some additional selections. He could use the move for a more advantageous position to snare Pittman. Also, Miami's Greg Olsen, the draft's only downfield threat at tight end and a player who would fill another major need for the Packers, would be worth taking in the 20s.

In what looks like an unpredictable first round, other players might trickle down to the 16th pick that no doubt would give the Packers pause.

One would be ball-hawking safety Reggie Nelson of Florida. The Packers then could say good-bye to Marquand Manuel and start Nelson immediately alongside Nick Collins. There are major questions on Nelson's mental capacity, but after meeting with Nelson at the combine, it appears Green Bay thinks a Nelson-Collins pairing could work.

Still, the safety position isn't valued as highly as most others, and the Packers still probably think they could get a competent starter from among Marviel Underwood, Tyrone Culver and Atari Bigby.

The Packers also need another cornerback to be the nickel back and replace Charles Woodson or Al Harris in time. And, if Pittsburgh's Darrelle Revis were to reach No. 16, the Packers might well take him because he fits their bump-and-run style of play.

But it's highly unlikely that Revis would get by the Steelers, if he even lasts that long.

Michigan's Leon Hall nipped Revis as the No. 1 cornerback in a poll of 18 personnel people conducted by the Journal Sentinel. However, Hall is not as dynamic nor does he play as fast as Revis. Plus, Hall doesn't fit the Packers' in-your-face defensive system as well.

The ever-changing rhythms of a draft were evident Friday in Buffalo when owner Ralph Wilson all but determined he was going to make Lynch the club's choice. The Bills had appeared set to take Revis or linebacker Paul Posluszny at No. 12 before Wilson stepped in.

That could change today, but even Lynch's availability at No. 16 probably wouldn't change the Packers' thinking though they like much about him.

"I would think off Ted's personality he would be leaning to the receivers more than the running back," said a scouting friend of Thompson's from another team. "There's a little more risk with the running back."

Meachem, a fourth-year junior from Tulsa, Okla., didn't start until his third and final season for the Volunteers but exploded last year to catch 71 passes for 1,298 yards (18.3-yard average) and 11 touchdowns.

According to scouts, Meachem isn't as accomplished as Walker hauling in a long pass on a sideline take-off route. But they say he is somewhat better than Walker after the catch and showed better hands in college.

"If you want Walker, take Meachem," one personnel man said. "He helps (Brett) Favre. They're not going to get that quality of a player in the second round. You want to go to Laurent Robinson? The only guy there that can run fast is the kid at Illinois State (Robinson) and he's from Illinois State."

Bowe (6-2, 219) is even more physical than Meachem, played all four seasons at LSU, inspires confidence in quarterbacks and runs polished routes. But Bowe's 40-yard dash time of 4.54 seconds pales in comparison to Meachem's 4.41 and his hands aren't as reliable, either.

Another junior wide receiver, Ohio State's Ted Ginn Jr., might provide instant field position as a returner while he learns to expand his rather raw receiving skills. The problem with Ginn is he's just 5-11, short for coach Mike McCarthy's prototype at the position.

Of course, with Meachem's size and speed, there's no guarantee that he'll still be available when the Packers choose. But unless someone trades up to nab him, the only team from Nos. 10-15 that seems to have a chance of selecting him would be Carolina at No. 14.

If the Packers take a defensive player at No. 16, there could be a significant run of wide receivers before they choose at No. 47. Barring an out-of-character trade up by Thompson, they might not have a shot at such threats as LSU's Craig Davis and Southern Cal's Steve Smith. If Davis puts his misgivings aside and agrees to return punts, he would provide that dimension as well.

On the other hand, the Packers might have their pick of the second-tier running backs at No. 47. Besides Pittman, that group would include Auburn's Kenny Irons, Arizona's Chris Henry and perhaps Penn State's Tony Hunt.

Irons' dimensions (5-10 1/2, 203) and his hell-bent-for-election running style cause scouts to doubt his longevity. Hunt (6-1 1/2, 234) is a bruising pile-driver and accomplished blocker but does well to break 4.7 in the 40. Henry (5-11, 230, 4.40) has exceptional talent but didn't start in high school, let alone college.

Pittman missed one game in three seasons due to injury. He did more than just show up, too, gaining 1,331 yards (5.5 per carry) in 2005 before coming back with 1,233 (5.1) in '06. His 40 time of 4.40 compares favorably to Lynch's 4.46.

"He runs better north and south," one scout said. "He's not as good wide, but he's got speed. He can catch the ball, but he's going to have to work on his blocking. He's a better back than Morency. Got more movement. But neither one can carry you."

Another factor why the Packers don't feel compelled to go all-out for Lynch is second-year man P.J. Pope, another back they've been high on since signing him from Chicago's practice squad Oct. 31.

Two defensive ends, Arkansas' Jamaal Anderson and Nebraska's Adam Carriker, undoubtedly would pique the Packers' interest if they reached No. 16.

Bretsky
04-28-2007, 12:27 AM
NFL team sources aren't quite sure how the Packers have Meachem and Bowe rated. It is said to be close. But Meachem (6 feet 2 inches and 216 pounds), almost a clone of the departed Javon Walker, is faster and more dangerous than Bowe and probably a better bet to become the Packers' choice

STILL TIME TO GET ON BOARD THE TRAIN :lol:

Bretsky
04-28-2007, 12:30 AM
According to scouts, Meachem isn't as accomplished as Walker hauling in a long pass on a sideline take-off route. But they say he is somewhat better than Walker after the catch and showed better hands in college.

"If you want Walker, take Meachem," one personnel man said. "He helps (Brett) Favre. They're not going to get that quality of a player in the second round. You want to go to Laurent Robinson? The only guy there that can run fast is the kid at Illinois State (Robinson) and he's from Illinois State."

Bowe (6-2, 219) is even more physical than Meachem, played all four seasons at LSU, inspires confidence in quarterbacks and runs polished routes. But Bowe's 40-yard dash time of 4.54 seconds pales in comparison to Meachem's 4.41 and his hands aren't as reliable, either.

Bretsky
04-28-2007, 12:42 AM
FROM ESPN INSIDER

INTERESTED THE SKINNY

Randy Moss
Raiders Randy Moss and the Packers
<Apr. 27> The Packers might be the team interested enough to make a trade for Randy Moss, but they probably need to make that decision before the 16th pick, ESPN's John Clayton reports. If they do get a feel Moss will be a Packer, they won't have to take Robert Meachem and can take Marshawn Lynch for their backfield. The Packers certainly won?t add Moss and Meachem.

Lurker64
04-28-2007, 12:49 AM
In the past Thompson has indicated that he likes to let the draft come to him. He just ranks the players on his board, and is happy to take the one he likes the best who is available at any particular draft pick. So McGinn's analysis makes a lot of sense. If there's 16 players that Thompson really likes, then he'll pick the one that's left at 16.

This is why the consensus among draftniks that TT will take Lynch out of desperation baffles me. Thompson might take Lynch, but it's not going to be because he's settling for an inferior player because of what position he plays. The ESPN mock drove me mad, since there's no way Thompson would sit and pick Lynch with Okoye on the board. At the very least our GM would trade down if wasn't prepared to pick Okoye.

Meachem and Pittman in the first two rounds certainly wouldn't disappoint me. I think I like it a lot better than Lynch + best WR available in round 2. Heck, I'd be happy with Revis + Pittman (or Irons) and then whatever quality WRs are available later in the draft. I'm not big on Lynch, but I'd defer to the fact that TT's a professional talent evaluator and be okay with the pick. The one guy I really don't want is Ginn. He's a talented athlete, but he strikes me as too much of one of the "pretty girls with curls" than a football guy. I really hope someone takes Ginn before we have the chance to (heck, I hope Buffalo takes Lynch too.) Realistically, I'm betting that Thompson picks a small school "who?" kind of guy in the second. He has a history of doing that (Colledge, Collins, Jennings, Murphy arguably.)

Anyway, pretty good article.

b bulldog
04-28-2007, 06:35 AM
Meachem would be fine imo . I like his size and speed while I've been hoping that Pittman would be our round two choice for months. I really am not overly thrilled on Lynch, so any pick in round one that isn't him would be OK by me.

Bretsky
04-28-2007, 07:17 AM
Meachem would be fine imo . I like his size and speed while I've been hoping that Pittman would be our round two choice for months. I really am not overly thrilled on Lynch, so any pick in round one that isn't him would be OK by me.

I've been on board with Meacham ever since I saw him at the College All Star Talent Competition and watched his speed, fluincy, and hands. Granted it was without pade, but the guy has enormous talent.

THE DAY IS HERE
BRING ON THE DRAFT[/size]

Fritz
04-28-2007, 08:24 AM
This draft reporting stuff is crazy. All winter long I've been reading that Bowe's hands are great and Meachem's are questionable. Now, suddenly the day of the draft, McGinn writes that Bowe's hands are questionable? WTF??

From what I've been reading this morning, it sure seems that the Packer writers are confident it will be Bowe, Meachem, or Lynch. I'm wondering if somebody inside Packer headquarters has leaked some info, because prior to today the writers said probably Lynch but TT could take a defensive player, too. But now it seems narrowed in the writers' minds to those three guys.

Guess we'll see. I would like to see if TT can trade down and still get one of them.

Bretsky
04-28-2007, 08:36 AM
This draft reporting stuff is crazy. All winter long I've been reading that Bowe's hands are great and Meachem's are questionable. Now, suddenly the day of the draft, McGinn writes that Bowe's hands are questionable? WTF??

From what I've been reading this morning, it sure seems that the Packer writers are confident it will be Bowe, Meachem, or Lynch. I'm wondering if somebody inside Packer headquarters has leaked some info, because prior to today the writers said probably Lynch but TT could take a defensive player, too. But now it seems narrowed in the writers' minds to those three guys.

Guess we'll see. I would like to see if TT can trade down and still get one of them.

I've often read there are concerns about Bowe's hands. Honestly, I think both have concentration lapses that can be fixed and I think all this dropsie stuff is pure crap.

I just think Meachem has more upside; that is the only reason I like him.

The Beat Writers have been somewhat accurate in the past.

I'm fine with Bowe, Meachem, or Lynch. Just not a CB or OL.

And it still might be best to move down if TT picks up an extra 2nd somehow. Reportedly Denver and New Orleans and Dallas want to move up. Dallas is thought to be in love with Meachem.

Bretsky
04-28-2007, 08:59 AM
Some of you have fallen off the Meacham Wagon; it's time for you guys to buy your tickets to get back on.

Whose aboard :lol:

Packnut
04-28-2007, 09:02 AM
Some of you have fallen off the Meacham Wagon; it's time for you guys to buy your tickets to get back on.

If the Moss deal falls through, I'd be more than content with Meachem. Of course I'd be happy with the devil himself if it would help Brett.

BallHawk
04-28-2007, 09:02 AM

I never got off. :D

Bretsky
04-28-2007, 09:03 AM

I think you started to step off and then I illegally cut blocked you from behind to get you back on the wagon :lol: :lol:

BallHawk
04-28-2007, 09:04 AM

I think you started to step off and then I illegally cut blocked you from behind to get you back on the wagon :lol: :lol:

I thought that was Warren Sapp? :?: :wink: