PDA

View Full Version : Is there a mystery team ion the mix for Moss, or is it BS?

b bulldog
04-28-2007, 06:42 AM
The Pats have suppossedly offered a conditional fourth rounder for Moss while GB has offered this years fourth rounder at worst. Rumors have a mystery team in the mix and do yo beleive this or do you think the Raiders are again posturing to drive the price up? My bet is that if the Moss deal isn't already done, any GM who doesn't get involved in these trade discussions for Moss if it only takes a fourth rounder to be seriously involved is crazy.

motife
04-28-2007, 07:05 AM
This is the article that started the rumor of another team.

http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/sports/index.php?ntid=131446&ntpid=1

Packers: Team closing in on deal for Moss
JASON WILDE
608-252-6176
jwilde@madison.com
GREEN BAY - The long- rumored trade that would bring Oakland wide receiver Randy Moss to the Green Bay Packers moved considerably closer to reality Friday night as the teams were discussing the parameters of a deal, according to an NFL source.

The trade could be consummated during today's NFL draft, the source said. But the source also said that the trade still faces several road blocks - the Raiders coming down in their asking price, the existence of two other interested teams, and Moss agreeing to a restructured contract.

The Packers are offering a fourth-round pick for Moss, the source said. Moss is set to earn base salaries of $9.75 million in 2007 and $11.25 million in '08, and the Packers, the source said, won't make the deal unless his contract is reworked.

The source said the Packers and New England Patriots were among the teams to have talked with the Raiders, but neither was willing meet Oakland's asking price. A third team also is believed to be interested.

"I can see it going either way," the source said.

The San Francisco Chronicle reported on its Web site Friday evening that new Raiders coach Lane Kiffin spent the day shopping the disgruntled wide receiver, hoping get a first-day pick.

Moss' agent, Tim DiPiero, declined comment when reached on his cell phone Friday evening, but he did nothing to squelch talk of a possible deal.

"I don't know if anything's going to happen or not," DiPiero said. "I'm not going to confirm or deny anything at this point. I'm not going to say anything about it."

Kiffin said at the NFL meetings last month that he expects Moss, 30, to be with the Raiders this season, although he didn't rule out a trade.

In his first six NFL seasons, all with Minnesota, Moss didn't miss a game and averaged 88 catches for 1,396 yards and 12.8 touchdowns per year.

But in his past three seasons, his last with the Vikings in 2004 and his two with the Raiders, Moss has averaged just 50 catches, 775 yards and eight TDs. In 2006, Moss caught just 42 passes for 553 yards and three touchdowns in 13 games.

mmmdk
04-28-2007, 07:33 AM
I'd be surprised to see Moss in Green Bay unless Al Davis will settle for a 4th round pick, maybe 3rd. I think TT will trade down in 1st round and a get an extra 2nd pick...I kinda agree but Moss/Turner would be great - Turner will cost a 1st pick though - I just feel iffy with Lynch or Meachem. I'd rather pick twice in the 2nd round, getting Sydney Rice and some RB (Irons or Pitts). Late in the 1st Packers should go with D (DT or DB).

Bretsky
04-28-2007, 08:02 AM
I could see a team like New England swooping in and snatching him; they are going heavy in free agency and probably now have the best team in the NFL on paper.

Tarlam!
04-28-2007, 08:07 AM
With Moss, I can see how he would manipulate it.

If he wants to play with Favre badly enough, he will just refuse to resrtucture his contract with any other club.

He'd be crazy to pass up Tom Brady, though. Brady has at least 4 more seasons, notwithstanding any demonic occurences.

Brett has MAX 2 years, is my guess. Then it's A-Rod, for better or for worse.

Guiness
04-28-2007, 08:09 AM
I'm still absolutely stunned that Oakland appears to be having trouble getting a first day pick (or a first rounder!) for Moss. His stock fell fast.

Have to wonder what he's capable of if motivated. I also wonder how much his contract hurts his value. A team that gets him isn't just giving up a pick, they're also giving up ~$10mil in cap space...

Fritz
04-28-2007, 08:19 AM
Guiness - it makes you wonder if perhaps the NFL GM's know something we don't. Kinda like when Ken Hamelin was out there - NFL starter at safety, fairly young, but in the end he got a crazy-cheap contract. Bet they knew something about Ken Hamelin that we didn't.

motife
04-28-2007, 08:23 AM
Moss has been working out like crazy in the offseason.

Recently, he ran consecutive 4.26, 4.28 and 4.31 40's.

HarveyWallbangers
04-28-2007, 08:25 AM
Moss has been working out like crazy in the offseason.

According to his agent. There's a slight chance that it's true.

Tarlam!
04-28-2007, 08:30 AM

Bwahahahahahahhahaha. Of course he did.

And, I drive a Porsche on Mondays, a Ferrari on Tuesday, a '66 Corvette on ...........

]{ilr]3
04-28-2007, 08:30 AM
His own agent debunks that? :shock:

I have a hard time believing that too, thats fast for someone in there 30's

motife
04-28-2007, 08:41 AM
the info on Moss's 40 times were from the Tom Silverstein article. Silverstein was quoting Moss's agent Tim DePiero :

If a deal is in the works, it's likely DiPiero and Packers vice president of finance Andrew Brandt were working to reach an agreement on a restructured contract. DiPiero wouldn't comment on negotiations in an interview with Twin Cities television station KSTP Friday, but said that Moss was in excellent shape and "ran a 4.26, 4.28, and a 4.31 during one of his workouts last week" in Florida. He said Moss is in the best shape of his life.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=597307

]{ilr]3
04-28-2007, 09:21 AM
That is just amazing! How fast was he when he was drafted?! :shock:

Rastak
04-28-2007, 09:24 AM
{ilr]3]That is just amazing! How fast was he when he was drafted?! :shock:

Sub 4.......

:wink:

motife
04-28-2007, 09:27 AM
{ilr]3]That is just amazing! How fast was he when he was drafted?! :shock:

This is from Bob McGinn's article on wideouts this week. These are numbers from the combine at Indy, which are usually slower than Pro Day's at the respective colleges :

Johnson's speed in the 40-yard dash time is 4.35. Moss ran 4.42. Irvin and Rice were in the range of 4.55, as was Terrell Owens (6-3, 211) in '96. Javon Walker (6-2 1/2, 210) ran 4.41 in '02. Roy Williams (6-2 1/2, 212) ran 4.44 in '04.

HarveyWallbangers
04-28-2007, 10:02 AM
I'm pretty sure Moss was much faster than that coming into the league. These times often get messed up, and one source has it differently than another.