PDA

View Full Version : MOSS RUMORS HEATING UP---------BRING IT !!

Bretsky
04-28-2007, 08:40 AM
Trade talk for Moss heats up
Packers might make deal for receiver before draft
By TOM SILVERSTEIN
tsilverstein@journalsentinel.com
Posted: April 27, 2007

The Green Bay Packers are one of the teams talking seriously to the Oakland Raiders about acquiring wide receiver Randy Moss, and there is a chance a trade could be completed before the draft starts today or sometime later in the day.

My how times have changed. Randy Moss was all smiles when the Oakland Raiders dealt for him.

According to an NFL source with direct knowledge of the Moss trade maneuvers, the Packers have been engaged in talks with the Raiders and are in the running for the former Pro Bowl receiver's services. While a deal could be in place soon, the source also warned that just as easily the whole thing could fall apart and the Packers would go on with the draft without making a deal for the five-time Pro Bowl receiver.

According to the San Francisco Chronicle, the New England Patriots are also interested in Moss.

The Packers and Raiders have been talking off and on about a Moss deal for the past two months but haven't ever really gotten close to reaching common ground.

A personnel executive for another NFL team said that the Raiders have been shopping Moss this week in an attempt to get something for him. The executive said he was told the Raiders were tired of Moss' act after two less-than-stellar years by the once-dominating receiver and wanted to dump him. They were finding very few takers, however.

The Packers aren't willing to give up a first-day pick for Moss, but appear willing to go as high as a fourth-round selection. The Raiders have reportedly been asking for more, but with a lack of interest around the league it's likely they'll take what they can get.

The Packers have also been mentioned as suitors for San Diego Chargers promising backup running back Michael Turner, but an NFL source said they were not the team who had offered a 2008 first-round pick for him on Friday. The Tennessee Titans are thought to be the most interested, although Green Bay has looked into the possibility of acquiring the powerful runner. As of late last night, Turner was still with the Chargers.

The Packers, meanwhile, might be one of the few places the moody Moss could enjoy success because he would be teamed with quarterback Brett Favre, a player he knows and respects. The two shared the same agent, James (Bus) Cook, for a while, and played against one another twice a year for seven seasons.

Favre has been a big proponent of bringing in Moss, according to Cook, who said earlier this spring that the two have always wanted to play on the same team.

"He (Moss) has always wanted to play with Brett," Cook said in an interview in early March. "Brett thinks he's as good as there is."

To make the deal work, the Packers will require Moss restructuring his contract, which carries over from the Raiders in the case of a trade. Moss is set to earn $9.75 million this year and the Packers aren't going to carry that on their payroll, knowing that they could run into a problem with the receiver down the line.

Agent Tim DiPiero did not return a phone message at his West Virginia office and Packers general manager Ted Thompson was unavailable for comment.

When reached Friday, Cook, who still has ties to Moss despite not being listed as his agent, refused to acknowledge anything was imminent.

"I don't know anything about anything. I'm worried about Calvin Johnson," said Cook, who represents the talented Georgia Tech receiver.

If a deal is in the works, it's likely DiPiero and Packers vice president of finance Andrew Brandt were working to reach an agreement on a restructured contract. DiPiero wouldn't comment on negotiations in an interview with Twin Cities television station KSTP Friday, but said that Moss was in excellent shape and "ran a 4.26, 4.28, and a 4.31 during one of his workouts last week" in Florida. He said Moss is in the best shape of his life.

Asked about the receiver's relationship with Favre and the possibility of playing in Green Bay, DiPiero said, "(He) has great respect for Brett Favre - who wouldn't as a receiver."

Packgator
04-28-2007, 09:02 AM
DiPiero wouldn't comment on negotiations in an interview with Twin Cities television station KSTP Friday, but said that Moss was in excellent shape and "ran a 4.26, 4.28, and a 4.31 during one of his workouts last week" in Florida. He said Moss is in the best shape of his life.

I wonder if that's true (4.26) or just "agent talk"?

Bretsky
04-28-2007, 09:04 AM
ESPN just reported Moss Talks going nowhere because Crazy Al is asking too much

Packnut
04-28-2007, 09:06 AM
ESPN just reported Moss Talks going nowhere because Crazy Al is asking too much

TT can't let Al bluff him. Offer nothing better than a 3rd and if it does'nt happen by the 16th pick, take Meachem or Bowe.

motife
04-28-2007, 09:37 AM
Moss will ONLY renegotiate his contract with the Patriots.

Not with the Raiders or the Packers.

Packgator
04-28-2007, 09:43 AM

What makes you say this?

motife
04-28-2007, 09:44 AM

this is per Adam Schecter at NFL Network.

If true, it means Moss does not want to be traded to Green Bay.

That's all we need. What would apparently be a disgruntled Randy Moss. Another Javon Walker, Michael McKenzie scenario. And Moss is semi crazy, and has enough problems staying motivated and "happy".

I'd say you can forget about getting Randy Moss now.

Packnut
04-28-2007, 09:46 AM
Yep the Moss thing is over imo. This is the first we've heard he'll only play for a SB team. That kind of info changes everything.

HELLO ROBERT MEACHEM

Rastak
04-28-2007, 09:47 AM

this is per Adam Schecter at NFL Network.

If true, it means Moss does not want to be traded to Green Bay.

That's all we need. What would apparently be a disgruntled Randy Moss.

I'd say you can forget about getting Randy Moss now.

Motife, he's always disgruntled.....that's his natural state.

swede
04-28-2007, 09:53 AM
We got Andre Rison gruntled, we got Terry Glenn gruntled, and I'll just bet we could get Randy Moss gruntled too.

Rastak
04-28-2007, 09:54 AM
We got Andre Rison gruntled, we got Terry Glenn gruntled, and I'll just bet we could get Randy Moss gruntled too.

NOBODY gruntles Moss.....NOBODY.......not even money can gruntle him.....

motife
04-28-2007, 09:56 AM
Motife, he's always disgruntled.....that's his natural state.

I thought maybe Bill Parcells, of all people in the NFL, could keep Terrell Owens sane for a season. He almost accomplished it. Only one fake suicide visit to the emergency room, and getting called "grandma" by Owens.

I thought also that MAYBE Moss would grow up playing with Brett Favre. But if he's making ultimatums about only wanting to be traded to New England, forget it.

Our young players don't need that kind of Adam "Pacman" Jones cancer in the locker room.

My confidence in Moss being able to fit in playing with Favre has vanished.

Packgator
04-28-2007, 10:02 AM
[quote=motife]That's all we need. What would apparently be a disgruntled Randy Moss.

TT would never make the trade knowing Moss didn't want to come. If we get Moss.......he will not be coming disgruntled. Or gruntled.

MadtownPacker
04-28-2007, 10:06 AM
NFLN didnt say he wouldnt rework his contract with thew Packers they just said that he would do it with NE.

motife
04-28-2007, 10:11 AM
NFLN didnt say he wouldnt rework his contract with thew Packers they just said that he would do it with NE.

Hi Mad...

You are correct. Except, I think Schecter said Moss woud re-negotiate his contract "only" with the Patriots.

Depends on the definition of "only".

oregonpackfan
04-28-2007, 10:14 AM
Rumors, rumors, rumors! Let's all hang out by the back fence and gossip, gossip, gossip!

BTW, I am not quite ready to shave my head and go into rehab... :)

motife
04-28-2007, 10:20 AM
Rumors, rumors, rumors! Let's all hang out by the back fence and gossip, gossip, gossip!

Well if you're going to be spreading rumors, right now is the 11th hour, of the 11th day, of the 11th month to do it.

More topical than 3 months ago anyway. The outcome of the "rumors" and gossip will be known in a couple hours. :wink:

MadtownPacker
04-28-2007, 10:22 AM
Hi Mad...

You are correct. Except, I think Schecter said Moss woud re-negotiate his contract "only" with the Patriots.

You sure he said ONLY?

I want this trade to happen but if moss has any doubts then forget it.

But at this point who really knows who said what? Could have been on of Al Davis stodges that put that out there.

Partial
04-28-2007, 10:30 AM
Why did the LJ talks die down? It's very obvious to me they want to stock pile picks and rebuild! The are trading their QB, they lost two HOF'ers in the past two years on the OL, and the defense is adequate at best. I would not be surprised if this trade goes down, but more like a first and a third than what was previously speculated.

I also think Moss gets dealt here. No way does he become a Patriot. I will be stunned and eat crow if he is one. They don't have the money to bring him in unless they are going to make one more run.

Rastak
04-28-2007, 10:33 AM
Hi Mad...

You sure he said ONLY?

I want this trade to happen but if moss has any doubts then forget it.

But at this point who really knows who said what? Could have been on of Al Davis stodges that put that out there.

Actually, Schefter quoted Moss as saying he'd rather eat turds from his lawn than play for the Packers....

Ok, I made that up.

Seriously, nothing the Raiders do today will surprise me. Davis is nuts.

mmmdk
04-28-2007, 10:42 AM
Anything is possible but I still don't see Moss going to GB.

NFL Network's Adam Shefter reports that the Patriots have offered a second-day pick for Randy Moss, and that the team has an advantage over their competitors because Moss wants to play for New England.

Don't dismiss Moss' choice here. For any trade to happen, a new team will probably have to work out a new contract. If he's unwilling to make a deal with, say, Green Bay, then New England may hold the cards here. Apr. 28 - 10:46 am et

b bulldog
04-28-2007, 10:44 AM
If the Pats really want him, they will end up getting him.

Brando19
04-28-2007, 10:49 AM
The Patriots are definitely stacking up their team to WIN the SB this year. It must be Belichick's last year.

Fosco33
04-28-2007, 11:01 AM
NFLN is talking up Packers/Moss right now.