PDA

View Full Version : JS online draft blog on Harrell

b bulldog
04-28-2007, 03:34 PM
Please read in regards to Harrell. Lots of positive info and some bad but definitely more positive. I don't know how to paste it in here.

HarveyWallbangers
04-28-2007, 03:42 PM
Look in the live draft thread.

MJZiggy
04-28-2007, 03:45 PM
Good job, Harv.

Partial
04-28-2007, 09:05 PM
Look in the live draft thread.

Any idea as to the page?

RashanGary
04-28-2007, 09:44 PM
go to jsonline.com/packer

They have a blog there somewhere.

Partial
04-28-2007, 10:24 PM
I am not an insider :(

HarveyWallbangers
04-28-2007, 10:40 PM
REACTIONS:

Pat Kirwan said he expected Justin Harrell to be selected around the point in the draft he was taken. Kirwan says Harrell "unique ability to
disengage from blockers and make plays in the backfield."

Vic Carucci says "concerns over [Alan] Branch's tendency to play too upright and over his health made him too much of a risk for the Packers. Harrell is healthy and a safer choice. He should be a force against the run and a solid anchor for Green Bay's defensive line for a long time."

Meanwhile, collegefootballnews.com's Pete Fiutak is the latest to bring up the ol' buzzword "value." Says Fiutak: "One of the best values in the draft, he’s a top ten-caliber pick who dripped because of question marks about his health suffering a torn biceps early on last year. When he’s right, he’s a quick, strong defender who can play almost anywhere on the line and can be an anchor who takes on two blockers at a time. That’s if he stays healthy."

The Sporting News' Vinnie Iyer isn't sold on the pick. Iyer thought the Packers should have gone offense, writing, "Wow, so much for offensive help in the form of Olsen, Bowe or even another Tennessee prospect, wide receiver Robert Meachem. Instead, the Packers go with an athletic but inconsistent defensive tackle. I don't get it. I really think this team had the potential to win now if they brought someone in to help Favre. With a decent tackle group in Corey Williams, Ryan Pickett and Cullen Jenkins, Harrell is a real head-scratcher."

On the other hand, Jeff West of Consensus Draft Services could't be more thrilled with the pick. "I'll tell you right now, I love the pick by the Packers. Justin Harrell is an outstanding DT and I feel he's as close to a can't miss player as there is (next to Calvin Johnson, of course)."

SportsLine.com's Pete Prisco gives the Packers a B for their selection of Justin Harrell, saying "He is a speed rusher who will help a pass defense that needs it. Some scouts worried that he disapeared in the LSU game, but he's a need pick. They obviously wanted him, but I think Anthony Spencer was the better pick."

Pro Football Weekly uses buzzwords like "best value" and "durability": "Ted Thompson is a value-oriented, decision-maker and almost always takes the best player on the board. He clearly followed his approach here. However, when Cullen Jenkins kicked outside to end, a void was created inside, and Harrell does also fill a position of need. Harrell is quick off the ball and shows the ability to dominate. However, durability remains an issue, and he has not shown he could stay healthy throughout his career. Harrell follows in the path of former teammate Jason Allen, who the Dolphins drafted 16th overall after he missed most of the season with injury."

Over at Foxsports.com, John Czarnecki says "Once again, the Packers were great at leaking misinformation. They kept saying they needed playmakers to help Brett Favre in his final season. Every team tells some lies at draft time, but when I asked specifically about Justin Harrell two days ago, the Pack told me he wasn't their guy. ... Harrell may have been a top-ten player if he didn't have a biceps surgery after the Florida game last season. With the need at running back and receiver, you have to believe that the Packers are still thinking about Chargers running back Michael Turner and Oakland's Randy Moss. ... Harrell is a quality player and valiant player. He played with a torn biceps in that Florida game."

Peter Schrager says, while Packer fans aren't enamored with this pick, "I fell hard for Harrell hard last year, when he played in the Florida game despite having torn biceps. Ever TEAR a biceps? What's that feel like? I stubbed my toe last week and almost shut it down. Tough kid. Packers fans will love him. Not sure whether his intangibles are on or off the charts — but he's a solid clog in the middle."

In his blog for ESPN.com, Matt Mosley says "Did the Packers reach? The Packers fan to my right is not inspired by the choice of Tennessee DT Justin Harrell at No. 16. Some of us thought Green Bay might go with another UT player, WR Robert Meachem. My former officemate and draft genius Rick Gosselin of The Dallas Morning News had Harrell going No. 27 to the Saints. McShay and Kiper both had him going at No. 23. So far, I think fans of the Browns, Dolphins and Packers have the biggest gripe."

Scouts, Inc. take: Make no mistake about it Justin Harrell is a talented player and staying away from a player who has problems keeping his weight down like Alan Branch makes sense considering the problems the Packers had with Grady Jackson. However, tight end is a far greater need and Greg Olsen was still on the board so they probably could have gotten a little more bang for the buck here, especially considering QB Brett Favre does a great job of finding his tight ends.

FOX Sports: A lot of people might be scratching their heads on this pick, but this is a very insightful move by Ted Thompson. They need another playmaker on offense, but Thompson loves to build around defense. Harrell will be the last piece in what should develop into a very strong front four for
the Packers. Harrell and Pickett should make a solid inside duo. Harrell gives the Packers an interior presence who can play two-gap, clog the run, and push the pocket against the pass to give their perimeter players more freedom. Harrell does come with some durability concerns, but is a very underrated interior player.

Partial
04-28-2007, 10:58 PM
Thanks Harv! I think he is sounding like a solid pick. Reminds me of Joe Thomas. A guy who loves football. Playing in the rivalry game despite a torn bicep. Tough dude. Even if he wasn't playing well or capable of playing, I love the fact he wanted to be our their with his guys.

If he turns into a John Henderson we will be a contender. We've gotta address the Red Zone big time, though.