PDA

View Full Version : Upon Further Review

packerbacker1234
04-28-2007, 03:37 PM
The pick wasn't that bad. He was a preseason top 5 pick and even with the injury was still considered the top DT in the draft. He would NOT of been there at pick 47, lynch was gone, and no other draft pick would of been a starter.

Sure, argue safety and I will argue underwood. Aregue CB and I will argue there are three ahead of the re. My point? They drafted a guy that will start NOW, not later. WR is a project to replace driver. Any WR not named Randy Moss is not really worth it in the draft other then a future prospect to replace driver.

Charles Woodson
04-28-2007, 03:42 PM
Sure, argue safety and I will argue underwood. Aregue CB and I will argue there are three ahead of the re. My point? They drafted a guy that will start NOW, not later. WR is a project to replace driver. Any WR not named Randy Moss is not really worth it in the draft other then a future prospect to replace driver.

I like the pick to, just not the reasoning.

Yes he most likely will start now but he does have Cole, corey and picket to battle with. Id argue that Nelson would have had an easier time starting.

BallHawk
04-28-2007, 03:46 PM

I like the pick to, just not the reasoning.

Yes he most likely will start now but he does have Cole, corey and picket to battle with. Id argue that Nelson would have had an easier time starting.

Nelson had intelligence problems and Underwood looked promising until the injury in the pre-season, last year. Cole could be a training camp cut. He doesn't have to battle with Pickett, Pickett is a lock as the starter. Corey can be kept for depth or traded for another player/pick.

gbpackfan
04-28-2007, 03:51 PM
I am coming around to the pick as well.

More Harrell reaction: Solid anchor, value pick, head-scratcher
In NFL.com's Draft Analyzer, Pat Kirwan said he expected Justin Harrell to be selected around the point in the draft he was taken. Kirwan says Harrell "unique ability to disengage from blockers and make plays in the backfield."

Vic Carucci says "concerns over [Alan] Branch's tendency to play too upright and over his health made him too much of a risk for the Packers. Harrell is healthy and a safer choice. He should be a force against the run and a solid anchor for Green Bay's defensive line for a long time."

Meanwhile, collegefootballnews.com's Pete Fiutak is the latest to bring up the ol' buzzword "value." Says Fiutak: "One of the best values in the draft, he’s a top ten-caliber pick who dripped because of question marks about his health suffering a torn biceps early on last year. When he’s right, he’s a quick, strong defender who can play almost anywhere on the line and can be an anchor who takes on two blockers at a time. That’s if he stays healthy."

The Sporting News' Vinnie Iyer isn't sold on the pick. Iyer thought the Packers should have gone offense, writing, "Wow, so much for offensive help in the form of Olsen, Bowe or even another Tennessee prospect, wide receiver Robert Meachem. Instead, the Packers go with an athletic but inconsistent defensive tackle. I don't get it. I really think this team had the potential to win now if they brought someone in to help Favre. With a decent tackle group in Corey Williams, Ryan Pickett and Cullen Jenkins, Harrell is a real head-scratcher."

On the other hand, Jeff West of Consensus Draft Services could't be more thrilled with the pick. "I'll tell you right now, I love the pick by the Packers. Justin Harrell is an outstanding DT and I feel he's as close to a can't miss player as there is (next to Calvin Johnson, of course)."

Yahoo's Dan Wetzel says what everyone else is thinking, "Green Bay goes with Tennessee defensive tackle Justin Harrell, who helps the Packers' sagging line and continues speculation that they will get Brett Favre some offensive help by pulling off a trade for Randy Moss."

RashanGary
04-28-2007, 03:58 PM
Before Harrell

Corey Williams 60% / Colin Cole 40%
Pickett 60% / Cole 10 % / Jolly 30%

After Harrell

Corey Williams 60% / Justin Harrell 40%
Ryan Pickett 60% / Justin Harrell 20% / Jolly 20%

You can't look at it as upgrading a starting position because DT's only play so many minutes. YOu ahve to look at it as upgrading a unit and when you look at it that way we have something that looks liek a huge upgrade for those minutes that Cole would have played.

Charles Woodson
04-28-2007, 04:04 PM
Before Harrell

Corey Williams 60% / Colin Cole 40%
Pickett 60% / Cole 10 % / Jolly 30%

After Harrell

Corey Williams 60% / Justin Harrell 40%
Ryan Pickett 60% / Justin Harrell 20% / Jolly 20%

You can't look at it as upgrading a starting position because DT's only play so many minutes. YOu ahve to look at it as upgrading a unit and when you look at it that way we have something that looks liek a huge upgrade for those minutes that Cole would have played.

yea forgot who mentioned it but it sure will come in handy when we face KC, SD and even minnesota. Also it really will help us see the potential of barnett and hawk

MadtownPacker
04-28-2007, 04:05 PM
This is a good pick if he pans out cuz if the pass rush get consistent pressure nothing but good things like turnovers will happen.

RashanGary
04-28-2007, 04:06 PM
Good point CW, we have some pretty strong LB's. It's going to be exciting to see how they perform with a deep group in front of them.

Rastak
04-28-2007, 04:07 PM
This is a good pick if he pans out cuz if the pass rush get consistent pressure nothing but good things like turnovers will happen.

Are they going to break his bicep Mad?

j/k

:wink:

BallHawk
04-28-2007, 04:07 PM
I like Spencer. Good speed-rusher.

RashanGary
04-28-2007, 04:10 PM

1. Replaces Coles snaps with Harrells snaps
2. Gives our LB's space *stolen from CW*
3. His college gave him Reggies # for the first time since Reggie left and then retired it after he left
4. He is considered a smart player who loved to play football according to those who watched him

RashanGary
04-28-2007, 04:17 PM
I'm sort of excited about Kamp, Williams, Jenkins, KGB and company getting this kid in. It sounds like he loves football and played his heart out in Tennessee. This is a great group of overachievers we already have. It will be exciting to add some elite physical talent who also happens to be a high character guy like the ones we already have.

Charles Woodson
04-28-2007, 04:18 PM
So do you guys think because we got this guy we'll trade KGB or keep him

mmmdk
04-28-2007, 04:21 PM
I'm sort of excited about Kamp, Williams, Jenkins, KGB and company getting this kid in. It sounds like he loves football and played his heart out in Tennessee. This is a great group of overachievers we already have. It will be exciting to add some elite physical talent who also happens to be a high character guy like the ones we already have.

DL & OL - that's what wins you championships. The trenches are paramount.

RashanGary
04-28-2007, 04:28 PM
I'm not a huge KGB fan but I think he can be somewhat effective in a 3rd down role for 1 or 2 more years. I just don't think many teams will give up much for a 1 or 2 year guy that special anymore.

mission2
04-28-2007, 04:28 PM
i heard his coaches didnt even want him to play in that florida game but he refused to sit, got two tackles early on and was then forced to go get surgery. lol

sounds good to me. football players win football games.

i think there's a plan in place here...

MJZiggy
04-28-2007, 04:29 PM
i heard his coaches didnt even want him to play in that florida game but he refused to sit, got two tackles early on and was then forced to go get surgery. lol

There is ALWAYS a plan. We just have no clue what it is...
Welcome aboard.

Bretsky
04-28-2007, 04:33 PM

Welcome to packerrats

If he becomes a dominant DT this will be a solid pick. This defense is talented.

mission2
04-28-2007, 04:35 PM
thanks for the welcome guys... ive been a lurker for about a year now.

was upset with the pick at first but have done my research and have a hard time arguing with dominance on the defensive side of the ball. especially for years to come (since we're drafting all these kids).

RashanGary
04-28-2007, 04:41 PM

Thanks for the update. He just sounds like a helluva football player from everythign we read. His heart and desire ring true to the Hawk, Jennings, HOdge type guy that we got in here last year.

retailguy
04-28-2007, 04:47 PM

Thanks for the update. He just sounds like a helluva football player from everythign we read. His heart and desire ring true to the Hawk, Jennings, HOdge type guy that we got in here last year.

Ok. I think the guys is a GREAT prospect, PROVIDED he stays healthy. didn't play in 02 (scout team), injured in 03, injured in 04, healthy in 05 and injured in 06... That's ONE healthy year in his playing college career, and it was a good one... but still ONE.

If he can't stay healthy, he can't PLAY whether he wants to or not...

This pick is a risk. Could be great, could be shitty, but definitely a risk.

RashanGary
04-28-2007, 04:48 PM
Fair assesment RG..I usually take some of things you say with a grain of salt because of the MS love and TT hate but this seems pretty damn fair.