PDA

View Full Version : An Important Public Service Announcement

Lurker64
04-28-2007, 10:36 PM
No matter how happy or unhappy you are with any of Thompson's picks in this draft, it's important to point out that those guys are now Packers. I don't care if you think that Harrell, Jackson, Jones, and Rouse ought to be working at Dairy Queen. They're not just Thompson's guys anymore, they're Packer guys and therefore they're our guys too.

Those players who Thompson didn't get? Those aren't our guys, no matter how much we liked them before the draft. It doesn't matter how well they do, but we certainly shouldn't want them to do well against the Packers.

In retrospect, there might be picks I would prefer happened differently, but right now as a fan of the Green Bay Packers I would very much like to see Harrell get 10 sacks, Jackson run for 1000 yards, Jones catch 10 touchdowns, and Rouse force 10 fumbles. I can't imagine that any of you, no matter how unhappy you are with Thompson's picks, would prefer they do anything less.

Whether or not you think they're good picks or not, one of the common threads of all of Thompson's picks so far is that they're all pretty likable guys. So rather than ripping them, how about we start liking them? After all, they're Packers now and so they're our guys.

Brando19
04-28-2007, 10:46 PM
I appreciate you trying to get the atmosphere a little more postive around here, but the fact is we're all a little puzzled as to why our draft sucked so bad today.

MJZiggy
04-28-2007, 10:50 PM
Nice thread, Lurker. I agree with the sentiments. Very soon it will be time to see what these boys can do, and personally, I can't wait.

Charles Woodson
04-28-2007, 10:52 PM
I appreciate you trying to get the atmosphere a little more postive around here, but the fact is we're all a little puzzled as to why our draft sucked so bad today.

The draft doesnt suck untill we see what these puppies can do on the feild. I understand your fustration and i had exactly ur attitude at first but, getting mad doesnt change shit, just give them a fair shot, then you can bash them and TT all you want

Partial
04-28-2007, 10:53 PM
Lets go Harrell!!! If he is a pro-bowler we are all eating our words and praising TT. Now get it done Harrell!!

Lurker64
04-28-2007, 10:55 PM

From what I can understand, the majority of the anger is due to the guys we didn't get, not the guys we did get. It's not like Jackson is a terrible RB or Harrell is a terrible DT. It's not like Rouse can't hit people or Jones can't catch the ball when it's thrown to him.

About the guys we didn't get? Screw 'em! They play for someone else now. I don't care how much I liked Meachem yesterday, I want to see Nick Collins knock his block off if he goes over the middle next time we play New Orleans. I don't care how good a fit Lynch would have been in Green and Gold, I'd like to see A.J. Hawk put the fear of god into him by laying the wood in the backfield when we play Buffalo.

We have the guys we picked, we don't have the guys other people picked. I would like to see the guys we picked kick the asses of the guys we didn't pick six ways from Sunday every opportunity they have. No real Packer fan would rather see them fail to prove themselves right or Thompson wrong.

Bretsky
04-28-2007, 11:03 PM
I don't think the draft was terrible; I'd rate it in the C+ to B- range; I'm taking a wait and see approach. I like the #2 RB and the #3 S pick.

Time will tell on the first rounder
I hope I'm wrong on the WR

GoPackGo
04-28-2007, 11:11 PM
Harrell better step in next to Pickett and show us why he was picked so high, but we have to take a wait and see approach with the rest of the draft picks rounds 2-7.

Joemailman
04-28-2007, 11:22 PM
I don't think the draft was terrible; I'd rate it in the C+ to B- range; I'm taking a wait and see approach. I like the #2 RB and the #3 S pick.

James Jones
WR, San Jose State

War Room analysis
Post-draft analysis: Looking to add a receiver who can eventually replace Donald Driver, the Packers grabbed the highly productive Jones. He is not a workout warrior, but is a good athlete with good hands and a knack for making big plays.

Strengths: Is a strong runner after the catch. Can turn short receptions into long touchdowns. Has quickness to separate when running routes with knee bend and good body position. Shows good, strong hands. Shows the toughness to catch slants and crossing routes with linebackers barreling down on him. Is fearless going up for high passes. Is elusive enough to make the first defender miss.

Weaknesses: Lacks elite speed to separate on deep routes. Runs upright too often, hindering ability to make strong, quick cuts.

Bottom line: Jones will be a surprise because of his big-play flair. He should improve with pro experience and become a good receiver with big-play ability.

Vinnie Iyer analysis
After a potential stumble with defensive tackle Justin Harrell in Round 1, Green Bay has redeemed itself by first adding Nebraska running back Brandon Jackson and now this underrated wide receiver from San Jose State to help Brett Favre win now.

Don't you think his strengths are a perfect fit for the WCO?

The Leaper
04-28-2007, 11:22 PM

I'm with you Bretsky. I give Thompson a B- right now...mostly because he just hasn't been able to get a playmaker on offense. However, I think a lot of that had to do with the fact our draft position made that very difficult this year. Things didn't fall our way in that regard.

You will learn to really like the WR Jones. He reminds me a ton of Driver...who I think he will eventually be the replacement for in 2-3 years. Very smart. Great fundamentals. Good character guy. He will blossom under the wing of Driver.

BTW...am I the only one who feels that Driver should be granted the invitation to become our WR coach the minute he decides to retire?

Tarlam!
04-28-2007, 11:23 PM
Lurker, I really appreciate this thread and the sentiments you are trying to get across. I could not agree with you more.

Last draft, the only guy I knew was A.J. "Knew". Hahahaha.

I was pleasantly surprised by the 2006, but since we had Hawk, I was elated.

Since we didn't pick #5 this year, we don't have the same feelings.

Still, these guys are Packers now and I love 'em!

Jimx29
04-29-2007, 12:18 AM
Me thinks that the majority of the first day draft haters will be in line at shopko to get their Harrell jerseys first thing Monday A.M.

Bretsky
04-29-2007, 12:24 AM
Me thinks that the majority of the first day draft haters will be in line at shopko to get their Harrell jerseys first thing Monday A.M.

I was hoping for Michael Bush so I could have a jerwey with Bush on the back

Partial
04-29-2007, 12:32 AM

I was hoping for Michael Bush so I could have a jerwey with Bush on the back

Bushless is much better :P

mmmdk
04-29-2007, 01:26 AM
I liked Justin Harrell from the get go, what happened in rounds 2 & 3 are still a mystery to me, but one can only hope that these new Packer players are actually...uhm...players.

What worries me is the notion that TT is so obsessed with finding a diamond in the rough - that's for draft day 2 or FA rookies. Sans Harrell (who I believe is pro bowl caliber talent) the 2007 draft, so far, smells like the 2005 draft. The 2005 Packer draft is a C- at best with AR as a factor too.

Lurker64
04-29-2007, 01:36 AM
I liked Justin Harrell from the get go, what happened in rounds 2 & 3 are still a mystery to me, but one can only hope that these new Packer players are actually...uhm...players.

What worries me is the notion that TT is so obsessed with finding a diamond in the rough - that's for draft day 2 or FA rookies. Sans Harrell (who I believe is pro bowl caliber talent) the 2007 draft, so far, smells like the 2005 draft. The 2005 Packer draft is a C- at best with AR as a factor too.

I think Jackson seriously has the potential to be a high quality running back in the zone scheme. He doesn't look to be the sort of guy who can be a superstar or carry the load by himself (though as they say, "there's not a lot of wear on those tires"), but he sounds like he has all of the qualities that you look for in a ZBS back. Word in some draft circles is that if he slipped to the third or later he could have been the steal of the draft. Thompson took him practically in the third, so he might not be the steal of the draft but he seems like good value. I wouldn't be surprised if he was the starter in 2008, but who knows.

Jones? Who knows. He could be a solid possession receiver, he could be just a guy. I'm not paid to evaluate talent, but apparently some people who are thought he was pretty good. Rouse at the very least seems like he'll have the opportunity to come in and crack skulls on special teams, and that's certainly somewhere we've been needing help for a few years. Rouse doesn't look like he can come in and start at any position right away (what late 3rd round guy can?). But with his speed, size, strength, and aggressiveness I'm sure they can find something to do with him.

And, heck. If we take a TE like Chandler or Patrick and wrangle Moss somehow tomorrow, this team will look a lot better on Tuesday than it did on Thursday.

mmmdk
04-29-2007, 01:39 AM

The thing is though - we know nothing until these guys put on pads and in january 2008 we'll know better.

I just believe this; I don't think TT has outsmarted the league with his picks - that would be asking too much. Is RB Brandon Jackson going to make Packers a better running team? I'm getting ready for Favre breaking his own record for pass attempted in a single regular season.

I want great defense and a strong running game; I believe we'll get the former not the latter.

mmmdk
04-29-2007, 01:46 AM

I think Jackson seriously has the potential to be a high quality running back in the zone scheme. He doesn't look to be the sort of guy who can be a superstar or carry the load by himself (though as they say, "there's not a lot of wear on those tires"), but he sounds like he has all of the qualities that you look for in a ZBS back. Word in some draft circles is that if he slipped to the third or later he could have been the steal of the draft. Thompson took him practically in the third, so he might not be the steal of the draft but he seems like good value. I wouldn't be surprised if he was the starter in 2008, but who knows.

Jones? Who knows. He could be a solid possession receiver, he could be just a guy. I'm not paid to evaluate talent, but apparently some people who are thought he was pretty good. Rouse at the very least seems like he'll have the opportunity to come in and crack skulls on special teams, and that's certainly somewhere we've been needing help for a few years. Rouse doesn't look like he can come in and start at any position right away (what late 3rd round guy can?). But with his speed, size, strength, and aggressiveness I'm sure they can find something to do with him.

And, heck. If we take a TE like Chandler or Patrick and wrangle Moss somehow tomorrow, this team will look a lot better on Tuesday than it did on Thursday.

All could be true. With 11 rookies coming to camp - that in it self deepens the competition and there'll be players amongst those new Packer players and maybe even some FA rookies too. But play makers? Back to the diamond in the rough theory that TT covets.

Packers will be better but one could argue that so does the rest of the NFL teams. It's how much better did we get? On paper Vikings & Lions got a whole lot better...the pressure, the pressure. You gotta have play makers to win and don't we know that as Packer fans!?

HarveyWallbangers
04-29-2007, 08:31 AM
What worries me is the notion that TT is so obsessed with finding a diamond in the rough - that's for draft day 2 or FA rookies.

I don't really consider Jackson or Rouse diamonds in the rough. They played at major college programs. They just have some things that scouts are concerned about. Jackson only started 1 year, and Rouse appears to be a tweener. On the positive, Jackson looks like a good ZBS runner and doesn't have a lot of trade on the tires (much like Ahman when he came out of Nebraska). Rouse has great physical attributes and plays hard.

All four guys have great character. That's the one theme I took from our draft.

Tarlam!
04-29-2007, 08:35 AM
BTW...am I the only one who feels that Driver should be granted the invitation to become our WR coach the minute he decides to retire?

Yes. 8-)

Sorry Leaper, I am in a cynical mood........ I think it's actually a great idea!

packinpatland
04-29-2007, 08:39 AM
After having slept on it, maybe our selections aren't that bad.
I do like that these guys appear to come with no 'baggage'

Lurker64
04-29-2007, 10:31 AM
I also think we've overlooked one very important thing, that might really make the difference in this draft.

James Jones can longsnap!

We got a WR and a replacement for Rob Davis!

MJZiggy
04-29-2007, 10:33 AM
Bonus!! Wait a second...At least we didn't have to trade up to draft a longsnapper in the third round!!!

Scott Campbell
04-29-2007, 10:37 AM
...............................but the fact is we're all a little puzzled as to why our draft sucked so bad today.

Speak for yourself.

Brando19
04-29-2007, 10:38 AM
...............................but the fact is we're all a little puzzled as to why our draft sucked so bad today.

Speak for yourself.

Oh who are you kidding?

HarveyWallbangers
04-29-2007, 10:40 AM

Speak for yourself.

Agreed.

Scott Campbell
04-29-2007, 10:40 AM

Speak for yourself.

Oh who are you kidding?

We are not all a little puzzled. You don't speak for everyone here. You claim this as fact, but the fact is it's just an opinion.

It's fine for you to have your own opinion, but I don't think you should be projecting it on everyone here. Who elected you spokesmodel?

Brando19
04-29-2007, 10:43 AM
We are not all a little puzzled. You don't speak for everyone here. You claim this as fact, but the fact is it's just an opinion.

Sorry Scott. I forgot that you had predicted TT would pick Harrell with the 16th pick. Of course I don't speak for everyone here...but alot of us are puzzled.....dick.

Scott Campbell
04-29-2007, 10:44 AM
I also think we've overlooked one very important thing, that might really make the difference in this draft.

That might be a bigger deal than it appears. He's what - 38 now? What if he gets hurt?

Scott Campbell
04-29-2007, 10:45 AM
Sorry Scott. I forgot that you had predicted TT would pick Harrell with the 16th pick.

As a matter of fact, I was spot on through the 27th pick in the 3rd round.

Lurker64
04-29-2007, 10:46 AM
Sorry Scott. I forgot that you had predicted TT would pick Harrell with the 16th pick. Of course I don't speak for everyone here...but alot of us are puzzled.....dick.

Can we keep the name calling in some of the other draft threads instead of this one? I mean, whether or not any of us thought we were getting Harrell or wanted him on Friday, the fact of the matter is that he's one of our guys now we should be happy to have him. He has the potential to be an all-pro, and might have been a top 10 overall if circumstances were different.

Plus, we did need a DT. It's not a glitzy need that the media would notice, but it is a need.

Brando19
04-29-2007, 10:47 AM
Sorry Scott. I forgot that you had predicted TT would pick Harrell with the 16th pick.

As a matter of fact, I was spot on through the 27th pick in the 3rd round.

LOL

MJZiggy
04-29-2007, 10:48 AM

That might be a bigger deal than it appears. He's what - 38 now? What if he gets hurt?

38 and on a one-year contract.

Packers4Ever
04-29-2007, 11:36 AM
[quote="Lurker64"]

Whether or not you think they're good picks or not, one of the common threads of all of Thompson's picks so far is that they're all pretty likable guys. So rather than ripping them, how about we start liking them? After all, they're Packers now and so they're our guys.[/quote Lurker 64

------------------------------------------------------------------
I just got in here, haven't read a thing yet, just want to say that I think Lurker probably has the best attitude about this that we'll see all day. I was angry and disappointed too, but what's done is done, we just have to trust that TT - and team and fans - will come out way ahead from this draft.

Now - on to the other news of the morning..... :evil:

MJZiggy
04-29-2007, 11:38 AM

I wouldn't read that if I were you...

MadtownPacker
04-29-2007, 11:38 AM
Lurker, I need a pep talk bad man. Tell me something good, anything. It doesnt even have to be about football... :cry:

Badgerinmaine
04-29-2007, 11:47 AM
I need a pep talk bad man. Tell me something good, anything. It doesnt even have to be about football... :cry:
Life is good, burritos are still delicious and we're not Detroit Lions fans. How's that? 8-)

Brando19
04-29-2007, 11:51 AM
I need a pep talk bad man. Tell me something good, anything. It doesnt even have to be about football... :cry:
Life is good, burritos are still delicious and we're not Detroit Lions fans. How's that? 8-)

Detroit has Calvin Johnson! :cry: Sorry...I'm not helping.
How about....we're all alive, it's almost summer, and Spiderman 3 comes out next weekend!

MadtownPacker
04-29-2007, 11:55 AM
Life is good, burritos are still delicious and we're not Detroit Lions fans. How's that? 8-)It helpsbut I'd like some more KoolAid please. :(

Lurker64
04-29-2007, 12:03 PM
Here's the thing. We're fans, and fan is short for "fanatic". That means we're kind of fundamentally irrational about these sorts of things. We get emotionally invested in things like specific draft picks, specific trades, and specific signings. The guys in the war room aren't emotionally invested in this. It's their job to cold-heartedly do the things that they think will improve the team the most, whether or not it makes us feel good.

When we're picturing Larry Johnson taking the handoff from #4, or Moss catching a Favre bomb we get excited because those sorts of things are things that will make our team better, and they would. The problem is that we don't also picture what those sorts of things would cost us. Consider the following, how many teams in the NFL could use a running back as good as Larry Johnson or a Wide Receiver with the tools that Randy Moss has? All of them. How many teams are capable of trading for those players? All but those teams they're currently on. No matter how much we want a player for our team, there's something telling about the fact that there were only a couple of teams even interested in Moss.

The other thing is, when we're picturing draft picks coming in and making this team great, we tend to imagine them excelling at the skill positions because those are the positions whose impact is easiest to see on a down to down basis. We imagine Marshawn Lynch running for big yards, or Robert Meachem catching bombs. Those images have an exciting, visceral impact. We don't tend to imagine, as much, a LT holding a DE in check long enough for the quarterback to complete the pass for a first down, or a mammoth DT holding the point on 4th and inches, but those things win football games.

So it's understandable that people are upset, because we didn't pick up a lot of glamor this weekend. What we picked up is a lot of hard working, physical, and tough guys most of which are smart, mean, or both. The glam team is certainly looks good, but the fact of the matter is that when the glamorous team comes up against tough, physical, disciplined team the latter wins. We want to win football games, and I for one don't really care if we look good doing it (though it's a perk.)

So yeah, you might be upset, and that's reasonable. Because being a fan has nothing to do with being rational about anything, in fact quite the opposite. But keep as a thought in the back of your mind how exciting it will be when Aaron Rouse nearly takes somebody's head off when he makes the tackle on the opening kickoff, or when Harrell pancakes Adrian Peterson in the backfield. Keep in mind that the tough down the middle catches where you have to get up and muscle the DB out of position are just as important as the screaming down the sideline 60 yard bombs. Potentially more important, because McCarthy wants to run the west coast offense so the former kind of pass is our bread and butter. Keep in mind that we have a prototype ZBS back now, and that most of the other guys drafted ahead of them, though they might dance in the backfield in an aesthetically appealing fashion or run into the backs of their blockers really hard, weren't necessarily a better fit for the system.

So be upset now, if it makes you feel better (it won't), since that's part of being a fan. But remember that eventually cooler heads prevail, and you'll start to realize that some of these guys we have now are actually pretty exciting, in a quiet way.

MadtownPacker
04-29-2007, 12:07 PM
Thats good stuff Lurk.

MJZiggy
04-29-2007, 12:12 PM
Lurker are you a therapist in real life or do I need to check and make sure none of my valium's missing?

Lurker64
04-29-2007, 12:13 PM
Also, keep the following in mind.

Day 1 is when you win the media coverage of the draft.
Day 2 is when actually win the draft.

Several of our best players were late round guys. The late round guys we take this year might not be our best players this year, but they might well be our best players years down the line. Remember, Kampman was a 5th round pick and Driver was a 7th.

Badgerinmaine
04-29-2007, 12:40 PM
Great long post, Lurker...and soothing. In fact, I think I'm going to take a nap :)

Tarlam!
04-29-2007, 12:48 PM
Great, Lurker! Top long post!!

Scott Campbell
04-29-2007, 12:50 PM
Also, keep the following in mind.

Day 1 is when you win the media coverage of the draft.
Day 2 is when actually win the draft.

I think the Lions won the draft yesterday - on pick #2.

Packers4Ever
04-29-2007, 01:18 PM
[quote=Packers4Ever]

I wouldn't read that if I were you...[/quote

-----------------------------------------------

Too late, MJ, that's what was on ESPN when I flipped
the TV on....not good to see first thing this morning :(

mraynrand
04-29-2007, 01:26 PM
Wow is there some funny stuff on here. Especially SC being called a Dick for being rational. How about winning the draft PR? Who gives a fuck about PR? You 'win' a draft by drafting guys that can play - and you won't know that for 1-3 years. Plus, I'll bet dimes to dollars the Browns get an 'A' for their draft. But if you look at reality it could end up like this: Cleveland blew next years' #1 pick (which given the roster of the Browns and their recent sucky history will likely be a top 5-10 pick) for Quinn. Now Quinn is a big boy and pretty strong, but he was passed by a lot of teams, so he could turn out to be dog meat, and the 'win now' Browns (who also blew picks to move up to get a questionable corner), could be looking at a dead zone of two years if ALL their picks from this year don't turn out (Mike Sherman anyone?).
The most comical thing of all is to see how almost everyone wanted that sack of shit Randy Moss in a Packer uni.

The Leaper
04-29-2007, 01:30 PM

I don't think the Vikings did too bad with #7 either. Everyone else in the division will be able to put up some points other than GB, who still has ZERO threats in the red zone.

Scott Campbell
04-29-2007, 01:33 PM

I don't think the Vikings did too bad with #7 either. Everyone else in the division will be able to put up some points other than GB, who still has ZERO threats in the red zone.

AP may wind up being the best player in the draft. However, his injury history had to create some major question marks.

The Leaper
04-29-2007, 01:33 PM
The most comical thing of all is to see how almost everyone wanted that sack of shit Randy Moss in a Packer uni.

New England typically doesn't invest in sacks of shit...so I would beg to differ on that note. Moss is a playmaker that this team NEEDS. That is why people wanted him.

As of now, 8-8 is looking like the best case scenario for 2007. We've been riding along on pure luck the last few years that Driver hasn't been injured. If he were to go down, this team would be fortunate to average 14 points a game on offense. We have ZERO red zone threats...and that does not cut it in the NFL.

The Leaper
04-29-2007, 01:34 PM
AP may wind up being the best player in the draft. However, his injury history had to create some major question marks.

I wish we had drafted a playmaker on offense whose only question mark was his injury history. That would be refreshing.

mraynrand
04-29-2007, 01:36 PM

New England typically doesn't invest in sacks of shit...so I would beg to differ on that note. Moss is a playmaker that this team NEEDS. That is why people wanted him.

As of now, 8-8 is looking like the best case scenario for 2007. We've been riding along on pure luck the last few years that Driver hasn't been injured. If he were to go down, this team would be fortunate to average 14 points a game on offense. We have ZERO red zone threats...and that does not cut it in the NFL.

He's a sack of shit. Perhaps he can still play football, but that doesn't change the first. I know the Packers have jack squat for offensive weapons, but I still think it's amusing how many Packer fans wanted Moss, and badly. Maybe you guys like having your noses rubbed in it for a few TDs, but I don't.