PDA

View Full Version : PI SILVERSTEIN POST DRAFT CHAT- GOOD STUFF

Bretsky
04-28-2007, 11:34 PM
Packer Chats
Visit JSOnline's NFL Draft section
SATURDAY, April 28, after the draft
Tom Silverstein

Q: Kevin of Chicago - Tom, I know that after the first day of the 2005 Draft we were all asking who is Nick Collins and Terrence Murphy, but quite frankly when a player isn't even listed in the top 50 on Pro Football Weekly's position rankings you have to ask what is TT thinking. So what is TT thinking drafting James Jones and is this the end of the Randy Moss to Green Bay rumors?

A: Tom Silverstein - No, this definitely doesn't eliminate the Packers' interest in Moss. The Jones selection is curious. Thompson insists the guy is big and strong and makes defenders cringe when he goes over the middle. Just because PFW ranks the guy low doesn't mean he's a stinker. Thompson and his staff spend a lot more time, money and energy researching these guys. I think Thompson knows how to judge talent and I don't doubt Jones will have a chance to make the team. I just don't know if Thompson worked the board like he should have today. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: TKaz of Glen Allen - Tom, The Packers seem to be doing a brilliantjob of building a mediocre team built of 3-6 rd draft picks. Like Cliffy noted last year; who's going to score TDs for this team? There seems to be no sense of urgency about aquiring playmakers of any kind. The other thing Clif was right about; they drafted def 1st and seem to be building around Hawk in the middle. Wouldn't you say that TT's job depends on this strategy working and that's why they took Harrell? I give him credit for being bland and sticking with his 'board'. Thanks. TKaz

A: Tom Silverstein - I agree. Where are the playmakers. Arguably, New England doesn't have them. Philadelphia doesn't have them. Pittsburgh doesn't have them. But each of those teams has a system in place and at least one player who can make some kind of difference. The Packers have Favre and .... --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: Lynda farrington of Chicago - do you think the packers have found one offensive player to address their obvious weak links Halfback Tight end Fullbacki Wide Receiver So far we have no choice not even listed in the top fifty prospects even though that is not always what counts

A: Tom Silverstein - I do think Jackson can help them. A lot of people are high on him, but I don't think he's Ahman Green. He doesn't have that kind of athletic ability. Maybe he's Maurice Jones-Drew or Kevin Jones. I just don't see anyone dynamic there.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: bob of norwalk, oh - Where the help for Brett ?? What a lousy chice for their #1 pick, a guy ranked middle to bottom of round 3. Hope Ted has some real players with the rest of his picks

A: Tom Silverstein - I don't know where you got that assessment for Harrell. Most people had him in the first round even with the injury. You've got to get a better scouting manual.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: David Bykowski of Tulsa OK - Baseds on the now populer draft point system, who got the beeter deal in the trade with the Jets for our second round pick?

A: Tom Silverstein - The Packers did by about five points. Not a bad deal that way.
Q: Eric of Germantown - Tom, its obvious that TT had a major rebuilding project in front of him when he took over. And I think most thoughtful fans agree with the build through the draft notion and are willing to be patient since they are rebuilding. But has Thompson ever stated how long wait it is going to be? I mean how many free years does he get before we are allowed to become impatient. Yes the draft should be for the future, but I guess I am wondering when the future will be. Is there a plan ton be good in two years, three or maybe four?

A: Tom Silverstein - I think it's this year, Eric. Like I said earlier, it's time for those draft picks to show their worth. There is no timetable, but players in their second and third years should be ready to compete for starting jobs.
Q: Calvin B of Arlington Heights - Green Bay seems pretty comfortable with Morency as their workhorse RB. Do you think he is durable enough to handle the punishment?

A: Tom Silverstein - No, I don't. I think Brandon Jackson will have to help. Maybe Arliss Beach, too. I think the running game is in sorry shape. The only way it can be helped is if the offensive line comes into its own.
Q: Ron of Milwaukee - How much do guys like John Clayton and Mel Kiper really know. They might have been at the combine but it seems like a guy who has been studying film, interviewing players, and working them out woule have a much better feel for talent. Harrel was a bit of a surprise but if he's a nice guy, hard worker, good team mate, and student of the game how can you go wrong. Once Thompson trades away picks for a punter in the third round I'll start to get worried.

A: Tom Silverstein - I think Thompson's biggest mistake was not trading up in the second to get Dwayne Jarrett or Sydney Rice. The Vikings jumped in front of him in the second round and took Rice. It may turn out both guys are flops, but they were high on the team's draft board and they failed to get them. They wound up with James Jones, who's a far riskier pick.
Q: Beeker of West Bend - Ted Thompson sucks period enough said very frustrated fan here

A: Tom Silverstein - Pet your dog, kiss your wife and tuck in your kids. Life isn't all about football.
Q: Lisa Pagliara of Stevens Point - The Bears first round pick, TE GReg Olsen, fell to pick # 31 but was projedted to go higher. Did the fact that he has Drew Rosenhaus as an agent cause teams to shy away from him?

A: Tom Silverstein - I don't think so, Lisa. I think it was the fact he can't block. He's a glorified receiver. He can stretch the field, but teams are just going to put a cornerback on him because he can't move in-line and block anybody.
Q: Ron of Grafton - Tom Once again the Lions take a wide receiver. Is this their 4th in the last few years? I know 1st round receivers are difficult to predict, but haven't two already been cut? Beyond receivers they seem to have more misses then hits in the last few years. As a Packer fan I say no problem, but if I were a Lion's fan...

A: Tom Silverstein - Normally, I'd agree with you, but Calvin Johnson is like Michael Jordan. I can't find any weaknesses in the guy. The worst thing you could do is pass on the best player in the draft. Give Millen credit for not doing that. He might not be around to see Johnson set all kinds of records, but he will get credit for taking a future superstar.
Q: Digger of Andover - Hi Tom, I'm sure you're inundated with fans freaking out tonight. I expect that you'll respond typically, stating that it takes several years to evaluate a draft, so don't panic. OK then, let's talk about Thompson's first 2 drafts. How are they shaping up? They sure seem a lot better than the Shermy abominations of '03 and '04. We still can't evaluate '05 until we see Rodgers in action and '06 looks pretty good. So relax everyone and have a little faith. Agree?

A: Tom Silverstein - This is the year Thompson better start reaping some benefits from his draft picks. It's time Nick Collins becomes a dominant safety. Rodgers, I'm not sold on him, but it doesn't matter because Favre will be here until he gets dragged off the field. But Brady Poppinga? He needs to become a player. Hawk better make huge gains this season and be more than just adequate. And the rookie linemen should make big strides, the way Clifton and Tauscher did after their first seasons. It's time for these guys to become players. If they don't it's on Thompson.
Q: Pat of Madison - Rodgers can't play a lick. Why didn't TT pick Quinn?

A: Tom Silverstein - C'mon, you'd be all over him if he did that. He wouldn't have improved one area of the team with a pick like that. Plus, what makes you think Brady Quinn is the second coming? Did you watch him play last fall? He missed wide open receivers with regularity. I don't understand this fascination with Quinn. Is it because ESPN kept showing him on TV or is it because he's a sacred golden domer.
Q: Tony of Indianapolis - Harrell looks like a real reach at 16; the guy is always injured and average, like one tackle per game. Thompson's 2005 draft was a disaster. Is this the pick that finally gets him fired?

A: Tom Silverstein - It will if Harrell turns out to be Jamal Reynolds. But we won't know that for awhile. I know Ron Wolf's biggest regrets in the draft were taking medical risks. I don't know if Harrell fits that because he doesn't have a problem with his arm now. The other injuries are worrisome, but they're not like torn ACLs. They're contact injuries that occur in football.
Q: robert of west allis - justin harrell you have to be kidding me..a 1'st round pick on someone who played in 3 games in 2006..let's see now we need a receiver,running back,and a tight end..we need help on offense and forget randy moss..ted thompson had a chance to draft some outstanding young talent on offense such as robert meachem, greg olsen, or dwayne bowe and what does thompson do he drafts a defensive player..this is the last straw for me.. ted thompson has to go sooner than later.. people of green bay don't put up with this bull@#%& and get rid of thompson

A: Tom Silverstein - I don't know how many times I'm going to have to say this. Those players you mentioned weren't worth taking at No. 16. If they were, why weren't they taken at 17 or 18 or 19 or 20. That group of wide receivers wasn't worthy of mid-round selections. Where Thompson should have been more aggressive is moving up to get Lynch. If he really was sold on him, he needed to do something about it. He said he couldn't get the deal he wanted in front of him because no one wanted to move down. If that's true, then he did the right thing, sticking where he was and taking the best available player. If Harrell pans out, he has the makings of a very good defense.
Q: Dave of Racine - Will the Randy Moss trade ever go down? I am EXTREMELY nervous with New England getting involved...

A: Tom Silverstein - I can't say right now. All I can judge from Thompson's demeanor is that this is something he has to consider doing. He's done almost nothing to improve the offense and his back is against the wall. He's going to have to swallow his pride and give up something for Moss, otherwise he goes into the season with virtually the same offense he had last year. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: SCOTT SIELEMAN of oelwein, iowa - why? why not a wide reciever or other positions we nedded much more than dt!

A: Tom Silverstein - Who would you take, Scott? There was no one there to take at WR. It would have been far more of a stretch to take Bowe or Meachem at No. 16 than it was to take Harrell. Chicago took tight end Greg Olsen at No. 31. That tells you a little bit about his value. Don't discount this pick.
Q: mike of chippewa falls - I realize packer scouts have spent hrs researching,but did many teams have Harrel rated this high and can't a torn biceps become a chronic problem? Why not trade down get more picks and still get Harrel while addressing more immediate needs like running back wide receiver defensive back safety or left tackle? Picking Harrell this high is quetionable.

A: Tom Silverstein - I don't think the biceps is chronic. I remember Dallas linebacker Ken Norton showing me his torn biceps at a Super Bowl and he played with the muscle rolled up on his arm. As long as the surgery went well there shouldn't be a problem. Gilbert Brown had the same thing a couple years ago. There were no running backs to take at this spot. The Packers wanted Marshawn Lynch and would have taken him if he was available. The next wide receiver taken was Dwayne Bowe at No. 23. Now that would have been a reach. I think Thompson did the right thing getting a defensive linemen. This is an area that could be dominant if Harrell pans out.
Q: Matt of DC - TS - I start by saying I am not one of these guys who believes we need to load up for Brett. I agree with TT to build for future. That said, there were more quality players available – with better M.A.S.H. charts – than Harrell. Hall from Michigan is example. Pack DBs are on downside. TT had better work some magic from here on out or this gaffe – along with Rodgers pick – will shorten is tenure in Titletown...

A: Tom Silverstein - I think the only DB worth taking was Revis. Hall doesn't play the style the Packers play. He's not a tough bump-and-run defender. He's more of a zone guy. Revis can play bump-and-run and would have fit what the Packers do. I'm of the belief Thompson has to do something to get Favre some help. I just don't think you win Super Bowls with Donald Driver, Greg Jennings and Bubba Franks.
Q: John Dickmann of Bremerton, WA - If that moron Thompson wanted to throw away the 16th pick in the 1st round on a player who would have lasted till the bottom of the round, why didn't he trade down? Also, Justin Harrell's past injury report is enough to give any GM pause. Am I missing something here? If you can, please explain what it is that TT knows and seemingly every other sports pundit missed.

A: Tom Silverstein - Like I said, I don't have a problem with the Harrell pick. The injury thing is troublesome and I do believe he could have moved down to get him. But good defensive tackles are hard to find and if you really think the guy is special you should take him. Most scouts rated him as the second best tackle in the game behind Okoye, so I don't see it being a major reach at No. 16. The question is, how much upside does he have? You can't tell because he didn't play as a senior.
Q: Marsha of Dallas - I read the analysis about Justin Herrell, and maybe they did take a talent over need. Do you think they should have applied that philosophy to pick Brady Quinn? Many think he is a better prospect overall than Rogers. Did TT drop the ball this year or what?

A: Tom Silverstein - Marsha -- You wanted to take take Brady Quinn over Harrell. I think Quinn went exactly where he should have. No one but his agent and ESPN were touting him as a top 10 pick, so I don't see him as an option. You've got to find out about Rodgers and taking another quarterback would be a fireable offense.
Q: Jeremy Schulthess of Milwaukee - I may be one of the few people who actually like the pick of a DT in the first round. I was a bit surprised that it was Harrell instead of Branch, but at the same time with that front 4 our LBs will now be able to roam free and make more plays. Also with how deep this WR class is you can still get a lot of quality in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Plus when it comes to TE this is a bad class and the difference between most of the players isn't that much, especially when you can get someone like Matt Trannon who is a WR but isn't fast enough to be a WR in the NFL but could make a great TE or even someone who I think could be good is Joe Newton. I just hope that people aren't going to be mad at TT just because of using the first pick on a DT because he very well could have been a huge pick and while I'm not a fan of Mel Kiper he did say that had Harrell not been injured he could have been a Top 10 pick this year.

A: Tom Silverstein - OK folks, it's been a long night and I'm going to try to get through as many questions as I can before I lose consciousness. If I don't answer your question it might be because it's a repeat of a previous question. Here we go. Jeremy -- I agree with you on the Harrell pick. This defense is predicated on having two big run-stoppers in the middle who can protect the linebackers and let them roam free. Teams that stop the run are ones who win games and if Harrell can be an Albert Haynesworth or John Henderson it would be a major boost to the defense. Given Minnesota's acquisition of Adrian Peterson, who I think is going to be a star, it'll help to have a good run defense.

© 2006, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. All rights reserved. Produced by Journal Interactive | Privacy Policy.

Partial
04-28-2007, 11:39 PM
Ha! I gotta say, saying Maurice Jones-Drew to Ahman is funny. MJD is extremely athletic, shifty and quick. To say he is less of an athlete than Ahman at this stage is just funny.

That guy gets no respect and is great. As a matter of fact, both of Jax's backs are great!

The Leaper
04-28-2007, 11:47 PM
I think Silverstein is NUTS! First...to get a WR in the 2nd they may be giving up a chance to acquire Randy Moss by reducing their number of picks remaining. Second...haven't we all come to the conclusion that Sherman was insane for continually trading up at unproven guys? Thompson stood pat...and when the guys he wanted fell off the board, he TRADED DOWN and got more picks. I can't fault that.

Bretsky
04-28-2007, 11:51 PM
I think Silverstein is NUTS! First...to get a WR in the 2nd they may be giving up a chance to acquire Randy Moss by reducing their number of picks remaining. Second...haven't we all come to the conclusion that Sherman was insane for continually trading up at unproven guys? Thompson stood pat...and when the guys he wanted fell off the board, he TRADED DOWN and got more picks. I can't fault that.

I think he's spot on with that WR analysis. Rice and Jarrett both had 1-high 2nd round grades and they were the only two left in that tier. They'd have been huge pickups for the Packers. I'm not fond of Jones; I hope I'm wrong.

There are times where it makes sense to trade up; but you have to have the guts to pull the trigger.

TT said himself this draft is not as deep as in the past and he might stand pat more or even trade up. Trading up to get one of the top tier WR's seemed like a no brainer to me. At worst case we'd still end up with Pittman as a RB.

I don't think we're getting Moss; I hope I'm wrong

Partial
04-28-2007, 11:52 PM

I think he's spot on with that WR analysis. Rice and Jarrett both had 1-high 2nd round grades and they were the only two left in that tier. They'd have been huge pickups for the Packers. I'm not fond of Jones; I hope I'm wrong.

There are times where it makes sense to trade up; but you have to have the guts to pull the trigger.

TT said himself this draft is not as deep as in the past and he might stand pat more or even trade up. Trading up to get one of the top tier WR's seemed like a no brainer to me. At worst case we'd still end up with Pittman as a RB.

I don't think we're getting Moss; I hope I'm wrong

If we do I won't be critical. If we don't I will. But not for Rice. Just Jarrett. Rice violates my principles.

The Leaper
04-29-2007, 12:03 AM
I think he's spot on with that WR analysis. Rice and Jarrett both had high 2nd round grades and they were the only two left in that tier. They'd have been huge pickups for the Packers. I'm not fond of Jones; I hope I'm wrong.

Both are solid...neither are guys who were going to immediately help Green Bay much in 2007. Rice is EXTREMELY RAW and will take 2-3 years to develop into someone worthy of putting on the field...think Javon Walker with less athletic ability. Jarrett has more of the fundamentals down to be used immediately, but lacks the upside potential to really become more than a jump ball red zone threat long term...think JJ Stokes. Giving up a 4th round pick for that isn't worth it IMO. I'd rather roll the dice that Koren Robinson cleans up.