PDA

View Full Version : JSO Draft Articles (adding other sites)

Partial
04-29-2007, 12:15 AM
Playing The Game Of Risk (http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=597681)

Green Bay - The Green Bay Packers chose to live dangerously Saturday in the first two rounds of the National Football League draft, selecting a talented nose tackle who couldn't stay healthy and a lightly used junior running back with an injury history of his own.

Defensive tackle Justin Harrell of Tennessee was the 16th overall pick, and running back Brandon Jackson was pick No. 63 late in the second round.

With the first of their two third-round picks (No. 78), the Packers took a flyer on James Jones, a wide receiver who flew under the scouting radar screen at San Jose State.

Later, with the No. 89 choice, they went with Virginia Tech safety Aaron Rouse, a classic example of a player who in scouts' parlance "looks like Tarzan and plays like Jane."

Orchestrating his third draft in Green Bay, general manager Ted Thompson took Harrell (6-4 1/2, 314 pounds) even though defensive tackle seemed just about the least of the team's concerns.

"We don't draft based on need," Thompson said. "We don't think that's the best policy. We think really and truly the more good football players, regardless of position, that you can add to your team the better off you are as an organization and as a team."

By taking Harrell, the Packers added what they rated as the finest defensive tackle in the draft. Among the players on the board at the time were Leon Hall, who rated a slight edge among teams as the top cornerback in the draft; Reggie Nelson, a dynamic ballhawk at safety; and Brady Quinn, the second-best quarterback.

Thompson defended his choice of Harrell even though he had to sit out 15 games in his four-year career. His senior season was ruined by a torn biceps in Week 2.

"I think he had the potential to be a single-digit pick," said Thompson. "He's a good pass rusher inside. He plays with length, he plays with his arms. He's a great athlete."

Harrell weighed 300 at the combine in late February, then 314 a few weeks later at his pro day. At the lower weight, his 40-yard dash time of 5.06 ranked about average among the top 10 tackles.

His vertical jump of 30 1/2 inches tied for second best among the top 12 tackles, and his strength in the bench press (31 reps at 225 pounds) was solid.

Harrell's score of 24 on the 50-question Wonderlic intelligence test was the highest among the 12 best players at his position.

"Outstanding football player who we really coveted at 16," coach Mike McCarthy said. "We are going to build this football team strong with the offensive and defensive lines. You just cannot have enough big guys. His versatility is what really stands out when you watch him."

Harrell's 34 1/2-inch arms tied for eighth longest among the 50 defensive linemen at the combine. He also was the second tallest among the top 10 tackles.

Scouts decried the absence of competent tackles with brawn in this draft. Thompson referred to the shortage of big run stuffers as "a big hole" after Harrell.

The Packers will be keeping their fingers crossed that a player at probably the most physically demanding in football will hold up better in the pros than he did in college.

Thompson said Harrell would be equally at home as a nose tackle or three-technique in a 4-3 defense. He had just four sacks in 35 games (25 starts) but the GM argued that he had pass-rush ability.

Later, the Packers had this array of players on the board when their second-round pick (No. 47) arrived: wide receiver Steve Smith, running backs Kenny Irons and Chris Henry, defensive ends Victor Abiamiri and Ikaika Alama-Francis, linebacker David Harris and cornerback Eric Wright.

Rather than make the pick, Thompson traded down for the 14th time in his career, enabling the Jets to move up 16 spots. In return for No. 47 and a seventh-round pick (No. 235), the Packers obtained a third-round pick (No. 89) and a sixth-round choice (No. 191).

In the span of those 16 picks, Smith, Irons, Henry, Abiamiri, Alama-Francis, Harris and Wright all were selected by other teams.

Thus, Thompson attempted to plug one of his primary needs with Jackson (5-10, 208). He was the sixth running back selected. Green Bay took Jackson over backs Antonio Pittman, Tony Hunt, Michael Bush and Lorenzo Booker.

"Tough guy," coach Mike McCarthy said. "He fits our zone scheme running downhill. Very instinctive. Natural runner. Natural athlete. Excellent feet. No wasted steps. Looks like a natural catcher."

Jackson underwent operations on each shoulder to repair labrum damage in the last two years, but McCarthy said he passed the team's physical.

A third-year junior, Jackson hadn't done much of anything (two starts, 442 yards) until 2006. Then he broke out of a running-back-by-committee arrangement to gain 989 yards (5.3 average) and catch 33 passes.

In all, he started merely 11 games and gained just 1,431 yards before declaring a year early.

"We liked Pittman," McCarthy said. "I think with Jackson's (size) he really fits our run scheme."

Said offensive coordinator Joe Philbin: "No. 1, we thought he was a tough guy. Could break some tackles. Pretty good size and speed.

"There were two running backs who were highly thought of and there was subjectivity from there on out. I think he is a real fine player."

Jones' modest credentials stamp him as one of the most unheralded high picks that the Packers have made in many a year. Wide receiver was considered by some personnel people as the deepest position in the draft, and Jones didn't cause many ripples in the talent pool.

A two-year starter at San Jose, Jones (6-0 1/2, 207) caught 70 passes for 893 yards (12.8) and 10 touchdowns in 2006 and was named team MVP.

Invited to the combine, Jones ran the 40 in just 4.54 seconds. His jumps weren't anything special and he scored 9 on the Wonderlic test in 2006. That was the lowest among 43 wide receivers at the combine for whom scores were available.

In 44 games (21 starts) Jones averaged just 11.9 per catch. He also returned punts.

"He's a real football player," Thompson said. "He has size. He's about 6-1, but he plays larger than that. When he goes for the ball defenders fall apart."

Said Jones: "I am so excited that I am almost speechless."

Rouse (6-4, 220) followed up an outstanding junior season with a dismal senior season. He has prototypical size but doesn't play to his numbers. He missed a lot of assignments in coverage and was an inconsistent tackler.

"Like most Virginia Tech players, he's a very dynamic special-teams player," Thompson said. "He's a heavy hitter. In our opinion, the coaches say he's going to be fine in coverage."

At the combine, Rouse ran 40 yards 4.58, then improved to 4.56 at his pro day. He did well in change of direction drills for his size but didn't show much strength in bench-press testing, lifting 225 pounds just 16 times.

Rouse was the tallest safety in the draft and also one of the heaviest. His stature might be imposing but he hasn't come close to playing up to it.

At safety, Rouse will join holdovers Marviel Underwood, Tyrone Culver and Atari Bigby in an attempt to dislodge Marquand Manuel as the starting safety opposite Nick Collins.

Partial
04-29-2007, 12:20 AM
Growing With The Pains (http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=597620)

Green Bay - The only thing Justin Harrell could do was try not to let the injuries that nagged him in high school and college define him as a player.

So, every time he got hurt - from a sore back and leg injuries in high school to a torn biceps at Tennessee last year - he played through the pain. And tried to define himself as a competitor.

The defensive tackle from Tennessee chosen in the first round of the NFL draft by Green Bay on Saturday certainly made a bold choice last fall.

After he ruptured his left biceps tendon while reaching to tackle an Air Force running back, team doctors told Harrell his season was over and he would need surgery to begin the grueling process of rehabilitation.

Harrell, according to those around him, was in shock. The season? Over?

After a solid 2005 showing as a junior that earned him second-team all-Southeastern Conference honors, Harrell had forgone early entry into the 2006 draft, where he and his coaches were given estimates that he would have been a second-round pick.

He couldn't accept that he came back in 2006 for nothing.

Harrell pressed his coaches to play one more game - the next game, against eventual NCAA champion Florida. It would be his bowl game.

"Here is a young guy who makes the decision to come back, he's from Tennessee, playing at Tennessee," Volunteers defensive line coach Dan Brooks said. "He and his family talked to the doctors and the surgeon and everybody was assured (he wouldn't injure himself any further).

"Then they put a brace on him. There were a few times where he tried to reach out with that arm and he just had to come out, basically with tears in his eyes. It had to have been painful. But two, three plays later, he was back in."

Harrell had three tackles and flushed Gators quarterback Chris Leak out of the pocket. But lacking a running game, Tennessee lost, 21-20, in Knoxville.

"He laid it on the line that day for Tennessee. I think the fans here will always remember that," Brooks said.

That may have helped raise his stock with Packers general manager Ted Thompson.

"Well, he's a tough guy now. He's a legitimate tough guy. He's a country kid," Thompson said. ". . . Yeah, I think that says something about him, but that's not the reason we drafted him. I think he's a tough guy."

Those close to Harrell reinforce Thompson's assessment.

"The only person on earth Justin's ever been afraid of is his mother," said Harrell's coach at Westview High School, Don Coady. "He's got a great family. Justin was on a tight set of reins by his mother. They did a great job of raising Justin and instilling the work habit.

"Justin's never been mentioned negatively by anybody for any reason. The NFL scouts basically call the high school coaches and ask that question. Sometimes when you look at the players they draft, you wonder if they ever listened to the answers. But I told the Packers you'll never read Justin's name in the paper when you don't want to."

Martin, Tenn., is a town of about 10,000 people. Goodyear Tire & Rubber and Tyson Foods Inc. are about 10 miles away in Union City. Most everyone either works there, like Harrell's father at Goodyear, or for the local college, Tennessee-Martin, or are farmers.

But maybe now Martin, Tenn., will best be known for Coady's linemen out of Westview High. First he gave Tennessee and the NFL Chad Clifton of the Packers and Will Ofenheusle; now there's Harrell.

When Harrell was chosen by the Packers, word spread quickly across Martin. Clifton's mother, Dotsie, called him in Miami, where he was for a bachelor party Saturday, and was surprised to hear how excited he was about Green Bay's first-round selection.

She, like a lot of Packers followers, thought Green Bay would go with an offensive player first.

That's probably why Thompson was booed at the team draft party by fans in the Lambeau Field Atrium - no big name to add to the backfield.

"I really don't (have any reaction to the boos)," Harrell said. "I'm just proud of the opportunity."

Partial
04-29-2007, 12:23 AM
Harrell A Judgement Call (http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=597566)

Bob Harlan didn't hire Ted Thompson because of his people skills, his ability to tell a good after-dinner joke or schmooze with the corporate crowd.

The retiring president of the Green Bay Packers summoned Thompson from Seattle to replace Mike Sherman as general manager in January 2005 mainly because Ron Wolf and others in the industry recommended him highly as an evaluator of football players.

It was Thompson's courage in his personal convictions, more than anything else Saturday, that resulted in the Packers' completely unexpected selection of Tennessee defensive tackle Justin Harrell in the first round.

"I didn't know what it was going to come to, but I got comfortable with Justin about 10 days ago," Thompson said. "I said, 'You know what? If this thing falls a certain way, I'm going to take this football player.'

"You sort it out with our people. All of our personnel guys think this was the guy to take. But I try to keep my innermost thoughts to myself."

A year ago, Thompson informed his closest comrade in arms, coach Mike McCarthy, a few days before the draft that A.J. Hawk was going to be the pick at No. 5 if available. With the Packers juggling scenarios all the way to their No. 16 choice Saturday, Thompson waited until just before the Packers went on the clock to tell McCarthy.

"I said, 'Here's what we're going to do,' " Thompson said. "And he was all for it. He's fired up."

Other possibilities

At the time, the Packers also were giving strong consideration to cornerback Leon Hall and wide receiver Robert Meachem. They weren't interested in quarterback Brady Quinn, safety Reggie Nelson, wide receiver Dwayne Bowe or tight end Greg Olsen that high in the draft.

Green Bay rated Darrelle Revis as the top cornerback by a slight margin over Hall. It's unclear if the Packers would have taken Revis, who went 14th to the New York Jets.

"We had several players left that we would have taken at 16," Thompson said. "We were surprised Quinn was still there and some other guys were taken. I started zeroing in (on Harrell) about 13 or so."

One of those surprises might have been Buffalo's choice of running back Marshawn Lynch at No. 12. On Friday, Bills owner Ralph Wilson informed his personnel department that he wanted to find the next Thurman Thomas and mandated that the pick would be Lynch.

Lynch was the only first-round pick to make a pre-draft visit to Green Bay but, in the end, the Packers apparently decided to bypass him on the basis of character and durability concerns.

"It wasn't a dead-lock cinch like everybody thinks it was," Thompson said.

The Packers rated Harrell as the finest defensive tackle in the draft ahead of Amobi Okoye, who went 10th to Houston.

"I came to the conclusion that he's a very well-rounded guy," Thompson said. "We felt like any time you had a chance to get a quality defensive lineman of his ability you have to think about taking him."

Over time, teams probably have been willing to accept more risk on defensive linemen because they're so hard to find and their impact can be so great. A total of 70 defensive linemen were taken in the first rounds of the previous 10 drafts, and seven more went first round Saturday.

Uneven history

Notably, the Packers have been strangely resistant to the annual flurry of defensive line activity, having taken just three (Alphonso Carreker, Vonnie Holliday and Jamal Reynolds) in the first round since 1980.

The last pure defensive tackle taken by the Packers was No. 2 pick Mike McCoy in 1970. He lasted seven seasons but wasn't very effective.

Of the 12 defensive tackles selected between picks 11 and 20 from 1997-2006, the success rate has been about 50-50.

By subjective judgment, the hits were Anthony McFarland (15th pick), Casey Hampton (19), Marcus Stroud (13), Tommie Harris (14) and Haloti Ngata (12); the OKs were Albert Haynesworth (15) and Jimmy Kennedy (12); and the misses were Jason Peter (14), Damione Lewis (12), Wendell Bryant (12), Travis Johnson (16) and Brodrick Bunkley (14).

Thompson, who never traded up in directing his first seven drafts for Seattle and Green Bay, cast out a few feelers to move up but drew almost no response. Later, Cleveland and San Francisco dealt first-round picks in 2008 for Quinn and tackle Joe Staley, respectively.

First things first

The idea of giving up a future first-round selection isn't something Thompson ever plans to do.

"I don't think so," he said. "I think you try to do this year's stuff. In fact, I don't usually like to trade for a next year's one. That doesn't mean anything to me because anything could happen between now and next year."

At least five teams, to the best of Thompson's recollection, phoned Green Bay inquiring about No. 16. Each time, the Packers discarded a move down as without merit.

Still, the Packers waited until the final minute of their 15-minute allotment before submitting the card with Harrell's name.

"I just wanted to make sure, if we got the right call, we'd maybe go back two spots and still do what we wanted to do," Thompson said. "We always take our time in the first round. I didn't think we could go back too far and still get him."

Partial
04-29-2007, 12:24 AM
Another Husker Handoff (http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=597642)

Ahman Green moved on in March, but the Green Bay Packers will attempt to fill the void left by their second all-time leading rusher at least partially with another University of Nebraska product.

Buy a link here

Brandon Jackson, a 5-foot-10, 208-pound junior, was the Packers' pick in the second round, No. 63 overall, after they dropped from No. 47 as part of a trade with the New York Jets.

"Excellent feet. I think he's a natural runner. You don't see him take too many wasted steps," Packers coach Mike McCarthy said. "The guy has very instinctive in-line running skills; he makes plays when he has the ball in his hands. We got a very good football player."

There was at least one higher-profile and more established running back still available - Ohio State's Antonio Pittman - when Green Bay picked, prompting questions about why the team selected a lesser-known quantity in Jackson.

"We liked Pittman," McCarthy said. "Real good football player, tough guy, but we had (Jackson) rated higher on our board and that's why we selected him."

McCarthy refused to elaborate when pressed further.

"Guys, I'm not going to sit here and compare one guy to another," he said. "We're trying to shoot holes in a guy and he isn't even here yet."

Jackson enters a Packers backfield boasting a number of young, untested prospects. Vernand Morency projects as the starting running back at this point, but it appears Jackson will be given an opportunity to unseat Morency or at least split carries.

"We're adding football players to our roster to compete," McCarthy said. "If one individual can carry the load, then we'll go that way. If not, we'll play situations, back-by-committee, however you want to label it. We're going to do what's best for our football team."

Jackson started 11 games over three seasons for the Cornhuskers, nine in 2006 when he rushed 188 times for 989 yards and eight TDs.

He also caught 33 passes last season for 313 yards and a pair of scores.

"Big hands, looks like he's a natural catcher," McCarthy said. "I was very impressed when he had the ball, particularly when he gets on the second level from the film I've seen. He's a guy that really climbed up our board as the year went on."

Jackson also has some experience returning kickoffs, another area in which he could help the Packers next season. His best season came in 2004 as a freshman, when he returned 17 for 359 yards, a 21.1 average, with a long of 59.

"We haven't really discussed that," McCarthy said of plans for Jackson returning kicks. "But if he can do that, we'll give him the opportunity."

Jackson suffered his share of injuries in his three years at Nebraska. He underwent surgery for labrum tears in each shoulder, then suffered a non-surgical broken hand in the Big 12 championship game last season. But he missed just one practice and played against Auburn in the Cotton Bowl.

He appeared set up for a big senior season at Nebraska had he returned, but decided to leave school early because of health problems suffered by his mother, Barbara.

"I wanted to go and move on to the next level because I felt like I had a great year," said the native of Horn Lake, Miss. "It had a little to do with a little financial support with my mom; she's a diabetic. I just want to be there for her because she's been there for me throughout everything I've done."

Partial
04-29-2007, 12:26 AM
Needs Filled At Wide Receiver, Safety (http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=597679)

Choosing to address other positions with their first two picks in the NFL draft Saturday, the Green Bay Packers waited until the third round to fill two of their most glaring needs: wide receiver and safety.

The Packers chose wideout James Jones of San Jose State with the No. 78 pick overall and safety Aaron Rouse of Virginia Tech with the No. 89 pick - acquired from the New York Jets in a trade earlier in the evening - to complete an interesting first day.

The 6-0 1/2 , 207-pound Jones started 12 games in 2006 and caught 70 passes for 893 yards and 10 touchdowns, but his real value to the Packers, at least early on, might come on special teams.

He returned 42 punts in four seasons for the Spartans for a 7.3-yard average. His most productive season in that area came in 2006, when he averaged 11.0 yards on 11 returns with a long of 49.

"No. 1, he's a tough guy," Packers offensive coordinator Joe Philbin said. "He's very, very productive. We thought he was real good after the catch. Good hands. Strong guy. He was a productive player."

Some of Jones' measurables weren't overly impressive; he was clocked at 4.54 seconds in the 40-yard dash. But Philbin said he believes Jones plays faster than he times.

"He did on tape," Philbin said. "When we started out we were looking for good overall football players, guys that are complete players. He'll block, he has excellent hands. We thought he was very good after the catch, he was strong, he can break some tackles."

At 6-4 and 220 pounds Rouse is an imposing physical specimen who general manager Ted Thompson said projects to strong safety in Green Bay, a position that could be in flux with incumbent starter Marquand Manuel coming off a subpar season.

Rouse began as an outside linebacker at Virginia Tech but eventually shifted to safety, where he started 10 of 13 games last year as a senior and registered 57 tackles and intercepted one pass.

"We did a lot of work on Aaron," Thompson said. "He was a very productive player, more productive in his earlier years than this last year. Like most players at Virginia Tech, he's a dynamic special-teams player. Heavy hitter, and in our opinion. . . he's going to be fine in coverage."

Partial
04-29-2007, 12:28 AM
Negotiating advantage? (http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=597565)

The Green Bay Packers' selection of defensive tackle Justin Harrell in the first round Saturday will give the team some leverage in ongoing contract talks with Corey Williams.

Williams, an 11-game inside starter in 2006 alongside Ryan Pickett, will become an unrestricted free agent next March. The urgency to sign Williams to a contract extension probably was lessened with the addition of Harrell.

General manager Ted Thompson said the selection of Harrell had nothing to do with potential pitfalls in negotiations with Williams. He still wants to keep Williams long-term.

"We certainly hope so," Thompson said. "We address those kinds of things all the time. I think we're just kind of getting started there."

Williams, with a base salary of $850,000 for 2007, is coming off by far his best season. After a sluggish start, he went on to post seven sacks, third among all defensive tackles in the league, and undoubtedly is seeking a contract similar to if not more than the four-year, $15.84 million deal signed by Cullen Jenkins in February.

The Packers went into the draft with the fifth-most room of any team beneath the salary cap at $15.57 million.

Besides Pickett and Williams, Green Bay's depth chart at the position includes Johnny Jolly and Colin Cole. Kenderick Allen isn't expected to be re-signed after suffering Lisfranc foot damage in September. Cole, who played 38.5% of the downs, didn't hold his ground consistently at the point of attack.

Also, Jenkins plays inside on passing downs but is the projected starter at right end.

Pickett is 2 1/2 inches shorter than Harrell at 6-2 and outweighs him by about 20 pounds. He was the 29th pick in 2001 by St. Louis but won't be 28 until October.

Thompson was asked whether Harrell was better than Pickett.

"We'll see," he said. "Pickett is a professional. This kid is coming from Tennessee. I'm a big fan of Ryan Pickett."

No deal . . . yet: The Randy Moss trade front was quiet as the Oakland Raiders apparently were waiting for a better offer from interested teams.

Little happened in the Packers camp in terms of dealing with the Raiders. The Packers appear to have a draft pick in mind that they're willing to deal but won't go any higher. Talks between Moss' agent, Tim DiPiero, and the Packers didn't appear to be active, either because a trade wasn't imminent or because the two sides already had parameters for a restructured contract if a trade takes place.

The Raiders appear to be seeking a conditional draft choice, which means its value would be dependent on how many games Moss plays or how many catches he has next season.

In addition to the Packers, the New England Patriots are also thought to be involved, although coach Bill Belichick declined to comment on the possibility. Thompson was also tight-lipped, declining to even acknowledge the team has talked with the Raiders.

"I never discuss things like that," Thompson said. "But it's a good question."

Raiders coach Lane Kiffin said earlier in the afternoon that there was a chance Moss would be traded by the end of the day, but he wasn't specific about the teams with whom the Raiders were speaking.

Trade talk: Using one of many trade value charts, the Packers came out almost dead even in their trade with the New York Jets.

Green Bay sent its second-round pick (No. 47) and seventh-round pick (No. 235) to the Jets for a second-round pick (No. 63), a third-round pick (No. 89) and a sixth-round pick (No. 191).

Based on points assigned to each slot in the draft, the Packers were plus-5 for the deal.

Familiar faces: Harrell will be represented by Eugene Parker, the Fort Wayne, Ind., attorney. He and associate Roosevelt Barnes have represented players since 1987.

Last year, they were the agents for wide receiver Greg Jennings, who signed a four-year, $5.08 million contract on July 24, in time for the start of training camp.

Last year, the 16th pick was another player from Tennessee, defensive back Jason Allen. His six-year, $11.36 million deal with Miami contained an option bonus of $4.6 million.

Rookie contracts generally increase at least 5% each year. Barnes said he would have to study the rookie salary cap before estimating what the increase would be this year.

Among past first-round picks represented by Parker and Barnes were Deion Sanders, Rod Woodson, Walter Jones, Simeon Rice, Larry Fitzgerald and Bryant Westbrook.

"It's fine," Thompson said of Harrell's agents. "Things get worked out."

Parker and Barnes also represent Purdue defensive end Anthony Spencer, who went No. 26 to Dallas.

Partial
04-29-2007, 12:29 AM
Division Foes Get Offensive (http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=597663)

It's probably a good thing the Green Bay Packers went defense with their first-round draft choice.

They're going to need all the help they can get to defend three NFC North newcomers who could change the face of the division for years.

Detroit's decision Saturday to select Georgia Tech wide receiver Calvin Johnson with the second pick overall was the most notable and could turn the division on its ear. Considered by many to be the best player in the draft, Johnson will team with Pro Bowl receiver Roy Williams in Lions offensive coordinator Mike Martz's attack.

General manager Matt Millen said he did not draft Johnson to trade him. The 6-foot-4, 210-pound Johnson has been said to be a hybrid of Randy Moss and Terrell Owens on the field and comparable to Donald Driver off it. It didn't seem to matter to Millen that Johnson was the fourth receiver he had taken in the first round in the past six years; he just knew he got a gem.

"I think he's the best that I have ever seen, yes," Martz said when asked about Johnson's rank among college receivers. "He has the same qualities that the great ones that have come out have, and I think he's got a little bit of an edge in some other areas as well; the quickness for instance. He's such a mature young man."

Minnesota, meanwhile, added Oklahoma running back Adrian Peterson with the No. 7 pick, and Chicago added Miami tight end Greg Olsen with the 31st pick. Both were considered the best at their respective positions and fill big needs.

A rundown of each of the Packers' NFC North foe's day:

Lions: Johnson, the Biletnikoff Award winner as the nation's top receiver, caught 76 passes for 1,202 yards and 15 touchdowns last year despite playing in a mediocre offense.

The key to getting him those kinds of numbers will be finding a quarterback who can get him the ball. Veteran Jon Kitna returns as the starter, but the Lions took Michigan State quarterback Drew Stanton in the second round and could put him on the fast track to start later this year.

The Lions did not address their sorry defense in the early part of the draft. They have needs at defensive tackle, linebacker and cornerback and could be relying solely on Martz's ability to put points on the board this season.

Vikings: The selection of Peterson sets up the Vikings to have one of the best running games in the NFL.

The 6-2, 220-pound physical specimen will be running behind 343-pound left tackle Bryant McKinnie and perennial Pro Bowl left guard Steve Hutchinson, possibly giving the Vikings a power running game as good as any. Peterson, a junior eligible, led the NCAA in rushing as a freshman and finished at Oklahoma with 4,405 yards and 41 touchdowns.

Only an injury history, including a broken collarbone last season, stains his résumé.

"He is an explosive football player that can take it to the house every time from any point on the football field," Vikings coach Brad Childress said. "He has that kind of speed and ability. He and Chester (Taylor) will do a good job in the backfield in terms of changing things up. We know that we needed explosive players on the offensive side of the football."

Last year, Taylor carried the ball 303 times and wore down at the end of the season, making the Vikings one-dimensional. By addressing the running game the offense will be better, but the Vikings passed up quarterback Brady Quinn and will go into the season with untested second-year QB Tarvaris Jackson.

In the second round, the Vikings took a chance on another South Carolina wide receiver, 6-4, 210-pound Sydney Rice. Two years ago, the Vikings selected Troy Williamson with the seventh pick overall only to watch him struggle to catch the ball.

Rice is bigger, but he's similar in being a speed receiver and isn't likely to break tackles. He will try to help revitalize a dormant Vikings receiving corps.

Bears: For several seasons, Bears fans have been clamoring for a tight end who can stretch the middle of the field - they finally got their wish.

Miami's Greg Olsen isn't much of a blocker, but he is by far the quickest of the tight ends in this draft and has very reliable hands. The Bears take measured shots down the field, but they have been looking for someone who can occupy safeties and let veteran Muhsin Muhammad and youngster Mark Bradley work the middle of the field.

Though tight end Desmond Clark caught 45 passes for 626 yards and six touchdowns last season, Olsen has a chance to step in immediately and offer maligned quarterback Rex Grossman a more dynamic option. If nothing else, he should take some pressure off Grossman and let him settle for less risky throws.

"It does quite a bit," Bears coach Lovie Smith said. "It'll do something for Rex. It should also help open up some of the options at the wide receiver position."

The Bears were not able to deal franchise linebacker Lance Briggs, which means they know they face the possibility he'll sit out 10 games and report only in time to earn a season's credit so he can become an unrestricted free agent again.

Partial
04-29-2007, 12:31 AM
Cleveland Chooses A 'Classic' (http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=597645)

Phil Savage was Baltimore's director of player personnel when the Ravens selected offensive tackle Jonathan Ogden No. 4 overall in the 1996 National Football League draft.

Ogden has since been named to the Pro Bowl 10 times and is preparing for his 13th NFL season with the Ravens.

Now the vice president and general manager of the Cleveland Browns, Savage used the No. 3 overall pick of the 2007 draft Saturday to snare University of Wisconsin offensive tackle Joe Thomas, a player who appears to have the talent and desire to build a professional résumé similar to Ogden's.

"We felt like we needed to solidify our offensive line," Savage told reporters after making the pick, "and we feel we did that with Joe Thomas."

Thomas, who spent the morning fishing with his father, Eric, and friend and mentor Joe Panos, shared his immediate No. 1 goal when speaking to reporters in Ohio and Wisconsin via conference calls.

That is, to be in the starting lineup for the 2007 regular-season opener.

"My expectations are to help the team win games," said Thomas, aware the Browns finished 4-12 last season with a moribund offense. "My expectations are to be a starter in that first game."

No matter how Thomas fares as a rookie, nothing will detract from the memorable day he enjoyed Saturday.

Thomas, who last season became the first UW player to win the Outland Trophy, became the highest draft pick among all UW offensive linemen and the third-highest UW pick ever. Pat Harder went No. 2 to the Cardinals in 1944 and Alan Ameche went No. 2 to the Colts in 1955.

"Following the tradition of all the great offensive linemen that have gone through Wisconsin," Thomas said, "being up there at the top of that is a great feeling."

The Browns' selection of Thomas marked the culmination of a remarkable 15-month journey for the former Brookfield Central High School star.

With UW's defensive line ravaged by injuries during the 2005 season, Thomas volunteered to play defensive end in the 2006 Capital One Bowl against Auburn.

That decision, although admirable, cost Thomas dearly because he suffered a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee.

Undeterred, Thomas vowed to return a better player as a senior. Surgery followed, and by April he was already running the stairs in Camp Randall Stadium.

Thomas followed through on his vow by winning the Outland Trophy and earning first-team All-American honors to help UW to a 12-1 record last season.

"Joe Thomas - I said it all season - you could argue he was the most dominant player in college football," ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr. said during the network's coverage of the draft. "The amazing thing was he came off a knee injury in January, wasn't 100% in August, yet he had a great season."

Thomas, who became the 24th UW player selected in the first round, goes to a Cleveland team that last season finished 31st in the NFL in rushing (83.4 yards per game) and 30th in scoring offense (14.9 points per game).

Since then, however, Cleveland signed free-agent guard Eric Steinbach, who is expected to start at left guard, and free-agent tailback Jamal Lewis.

"I think we're going to have a great line and open up some good holes for Jamal," Thomas said.

Thomas' primary competition at left tackle appears to be Kevin Shaffer, who signed a six-year, $36 million deal in 2006.

UW offensive line coach Bob Palcic has compared Thomas favorably to Ogden and Tony Boselli, a Pro Bowl offensive tackle whose career was cut short by injury.

"He is the classic left tackle," said Palcic, who coached Ogden at UCLA and Boselli at USC. "That is exactly how you make them."

Thomas told Ohio reporters he was confident he would not struggle to meet the lofty expectations placed on a high draft pick, as some have.

"If you are going to get a Pro Bowl tackle, you have to get him in the top five," Thomas said. "There may have been a couple of guys who haven't panned out, but I'm a vastly different person.

"My attitude and my competitiveness will not let me fail."

Partial
04-29-2007, 12:34 AM
Not many draft picks become Pro Bowl picks (http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070428/PKR07/704280633/1959)

Tackle John Michels, defensive end Jamal Reynolds and defensive back Ahmad Carroll.

Those three picks are sure to be mentioned by fans who believe the Packers have not had the success they should have had in the first round of the NFL draft.

Linebackers Nick Barnett and A.J. Hawk and perhaps tight end Bubba Franks will be cited by those who believe Green Bay has done OK.

How well have the Packers fared in the first round over the past 15 years? Using Pro Bowl appearances as our measure, let's compare how well the Green and Gold stacks up against the rest of the league.

Michels, Reynolds and Carroll played in a mere 76 games combined and didn't distinguish themselves when they did take the field. They arguably are the worst first-round selections the Packers have made since 1992.

Barnett and Hawk may be two of the team's best first-round choices in that time. Barnett led the team in tackles in each of his first three seasons and was twice named an alternate to the Pro Bowl. Hawk supplanted Barnett as the leader in tackles last season and was named to the NFL's all-rookie team.

The Packers are one of six teams to have drafted at least one player in the first round every year since 1992. They've had 16 first-round selections with two — linebacker Wayne Simmons and defensive back George Teague — arriving in 1993.

Two of those 16 first-rounders played in the Pro Bowl. Franks made it three times (2001-03) and wide receiver Javon Walker went to Hawaii in 2004.

Four trips to the Pro Bowl isn't a large number. In the past 15 years, 26 teams have had their first-round picks log more than four Pro Bowl appearances.

The Baltimore Ravens, in existence since 1996, set the standard. Eight of their 13 first-round draft choices have played the week after the Super Bowl, a combined 32 Pro Bowl appearances.

Tackle Jonathan Ogden has played in the last 10. Linebacker Ray Lewis was in seven. Others who earned the honor are defensive end Peter Boulware (4), defensive back Chris McAlister (3), running back Jamal Lewis (1), tight end Todd Heap (2), safety Ed Reed (3) and defensive end Terrell Suggs (2).

The Colts are the other team with a total greater than 20. Led by wide receiver Marvin Harrison (8) and quarterback Peyton Manning (7), seven Indianapolis first-round picks have combined for 29 Pro Bowl berths.

So, which teams trail the Packers? In order, they are the Browns, Dolphins, Texans and Cardinals. The Giants, with four-time Pro Bowl tight end Jeremy Shockey, are tied with Green Bay.

The first round has been an exercise in futility for the Browns. From running back Tommy Vardell in 1992 to quarterback Tim Couch in 1999 to defensive end Kamerion Wimbley last year, no first-round pick by Cleveland in the past 15 years has made it. The last to do so was running back Eric Metcalf, chosen 13th overall in 1989, who went twice as a Brown (1993 and 1994).

The Texans, an expansion team in 2002, have sent wide receiver Andre Johnson to Honolulu twice. The Dolphins' defensive tackle Tim Bowens made the trip twice, and the Cardinals had defensive end Simeon Rice and wide receivers David Boston and Larry Fitzgerald each go once.

Using the Pro Bowl to judge how well teams draft in the first round is not a perfect measure. It may not even be the best measure.

But it does provide a gauge by which to rank the 32 clubs. And has been suspected by many, the Packers sit near the bottom.

Bretsky
04-29-2007, 12:44 AM
Thanks for posting these; I'll go to PI and see if there are any goodies there too

Tarlam!
04-29-2007, 07:04 AM
Partial, I bestowe upon thee, the following title:

Knight Commander of the Packer Rats Empire

Thou mayest forthwith use the suffix CPR after thy name to distinguish thyself.

Rise, Sir Knight.