PDA

View Full Version : The Favre Factor

Packnut
04-29-2007, 08:53 AM
Fighting through a massive hangover here so forgive any spelling errors.

After reading everything and anything about the draft yesterday, I noticed 1 common theme in regards to our picks and realized I am guilty of it myself. It's the Favre factor that's behind almost every analysis.

There is such a level of respect for Brett that nearly everyone including myself, wants very badly to see him get some much needed help and because it did'nt happen, a much more negative light has ben cast on this draft.

If Rodgers was the QB and Favre was retired, most would look at this draft a little different. If Thompson gets Moss today, I'm sure the C's will turn to B's and people will be happier. If not, then only time will tell the real story and worrying about it now becomes a mute point.

MJZiggy
04-29-2007, 09:00 AM
Didn't I read somewhere around here this morning that Favre himself said that a rookie WR is not much help to him this year anyway? And I think as professional football people, they will find a way to use the RB we've acuired with those we already have to make them a more effective group than people are imagining. M3 said yesterday that they had Jackson rated highest among the available RB's and that's why they took him.

Tarlam!
04-29-2007, 09:01 AM
Nah. I don't buy it.

For me, it's the "Hawk" factor.

we didn't draft a player rated as highly as A.J. Last year and the year before, we were left wondering about these people Collins, Murphy, College, Jennings.

We "knew" A-Rod, we really "knew" Hawk.

So, we don't have that high profile #1 pick. That's the major difference.

The Shadow
04-29-2007, 09:03 AM
Well said, tarlam.

Deputy Nutz
04-29-2007, 09:03 AM
Thompson helped Favre by adding another running back, and also adding a potential difference maker on the defensive line. All cogs help.

Joemailman
04-29-2007, 09:05 AM
Well said. People just have to understand that TT doesn't approach this from a fan's perspective. It may well be true that Aaron Rodgers (or someone else) will benefit from this draft more than Favre. However, I do think Brandon Jackson will be an immediate help provided the OL does the job.

RashanGary
04-29-2007, 09:07 AM
Thompson helped Favre by adding another running back, and also adding a potential difference maker on the defensive line. All cogs help.

Yup, take pressure of a QB to do too much and it's funny how the good ones can usually do just enough.

RashanGary
04-29-2007, 09:09 AM
I am really proud of this forum. If you go to PC and other places you have guys threatening to never watch football again and saying this was the worste draft in history. People here have very level heads and even most of the extreme "win now at all cost" guys are willing to let it play out.

bbbffl66
04-29-2007, 02:45 PM
The problem is that when Brett retires and Arod takes over, we will take a step back. For the most parts, 1st year QB starters don't flourish. Factor in the teams emotional letdown from Bretts leaving and it becomes a big step back. So give Arod 2 years to mature. That means we are in year 5 of rebuilding. That is simply unacceptable!! Meanwhile, tausch and Clifton will probably be nearing retirement. That means having to replace the 2 best O-Linemen. Draft them and they take time to develop. Meanwhile, Arod is getting killed with no running game or deep threat. How will that work with his confidence?
We had the cap space to make a run this year but TT screwed it up. I don't want to be pessimistic, but I can't see anything better than 5-11 this year. Brett leaves and we stay bad another year at least. :evil:

Chubbyhubby
04-29-2007, 02:50 PM
I am really proud of this forum. If you go to PC and other places you have guys threatening to never watch football again and saying this was the worste draft in history. People here have very level heads and even most of the extreme "win now at all cost" guys are willing to let it play out.

I agree I respect the posters on this forum. I and alot of other posters realize that the drafft is about the future (3-5 years from now) I think he did an allright job today (second day) Picking up OT Barbre in the 4th round another WR in Cloney (which I like) in the 5th. Getting those 2 LB's and Crosby the kicker in 6th Which were good moves IMO.

b bulldog
04-29-2007, 03:26 PM
When you draft at the 16 spot your in nomans land. Your not good enough to be in the postseason and your amount of wins puts you far away from the elite players in the draft. This really is apparent in round two.

woodbuck27
04-29-2007, 03:28 PM
Later !! :)

Packers4Ever
04-29-2007, 04:05 PM

I agree I respect the posters on this forum. I and alot of other posters realize that the drafft is about the future (3-5 years from now) I think he did an allright job today (second day) Picking up OT Barbre in the 4th round another WR in Cloney (which I like) in the 5th. Getting those 2 LB's and Crosby the kicker in 6th Which were good moves IMO.

----------------------------------------------------------
GJ, I have thought that so many times after visiting other Packer forums, if I didn't have a headache when I went in, I sure did later and I very gladly come back here. A different class of people here, : )
As you said, CH, TT really got busy today picking up more help and there are still 3 more months to be working on our roster - we had some disappointments this weekend but I think we're going to be OK ! :D

packinpatland
04-29-2007, 04:20 PM
Didn't I read somewhere around here this morning that Favre himself said that a rookie WR is not much help to him this year anyway? And I think as professional football people, they will find a way to use the RB we've acuired with those we already have to make them a more effective group than people are imagining. M3 said yesterday that they had Jackson rated highest among the available RB's and that's why they took him.

I didn't read that Favre said this, but heard Mortenson say it yesterday during the draft coverage. Somehow, it doesn't sound 'Favre-like'. Especially given the fact that he hasn't given any interviews in some time.

Sounds more like 'putting words in his mouth' syndrome.

MJZiggy
04-29-2007, 06:23 PM
Could very well be.