PDA

View Full Version : Schefter Reporting Moss to NE

PaCkFan_n_MD
04-29-2007, 09:32 AM
Raiders agree to send WR Moss to Patriots

By Adam Schefter
NFL Analyst

(April 29, 2007) -- On Draft Weekend 2007, the biggest tremors in the football world came from a trade between the New England Patriots and Oakland Raiders.

Randy Moss is on the verge of becoming a Patriot after New England agreed to send a fourth-round pick in Sunday's draft to Oakland for the mercurial and maddening wide receiver. Before the trade is completed, Moss must undergo a physical, which he arrived in New England on Sunday morning to take. Assuming Moss passes, Patriots quarterback Tom Brady will be passing him the ball next season in one of the most dynamic and electric quarterback-wide receiver combinations that has ever played in the NFL.

Moss already has agreed to dramatically restructure his contract, which is scheduled to pay him $9.75 million this coming season. New England was the one and only place Moss would agree to take a reduced contract, and he did so knowing that he would have the chance to win a Super Bowl. With the off-season that New England has had, no team in football has a better chance.

Moss also comes to New England with the warning that, as Bill Parcells used to say, the light is yellow and ready to turn red. The Patriots have notified Moss that, under no circumstance, will they tolerate any of the transgressions that have marked his career. The first controversial incident that Moss is involved in will be his last. The Patriots insist they will release him.

But now that they have him, they are thrilled. Brady is said to be very excited upon learning the news that his team had agreed to a trade with Oakland. Patriots coach Bill Belichick feels the same way as Brady. After spending previous seasons lacking a big-play target, the Patriots now have a plethora of them -- none any bigger than Moss.

How the trade evolved is a story itself. Ongoing trade talks from throughout the off-season continued Friday and intensified Saturday night after the draft when the Raiders called the Patriots and got New England to sweeten its offer of what had been a sixth-round pick. New England agreed to trade a fourth-round pick to Oakland.

The trade caps a remarkably and busy off-season for the Patriots, who have repositioned themselves as the team to beat in the AFC and the NFL. They have added former Ravens linebacker Adalius Thomas, former Bengals cornerback Tory James, former Dolphins running back Sammy Morris, former Dolphins wide receiver Wes Welker, former Eagles wide receiver Donte Stallworth and former Bengals wide receiver Kelley Washington.

Oakland was in a position where it had to trade Moss. It could not afford to pay him his base salary while also signing No. 1 overall pick JaMarcus Russell to the contract that is expected to include about $30 million in guaranteed money. Plus, Raiders coach Lane Kiffin had been anxious to deal Moss and start over

gbpackfan
04-29-2007, 09:33 AM
Damn, you just beat me.

I am soooooooo pissed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PaCkFan_n_MD
04-29-2007, 09:34 AM
Damn, you just beat me.

I am soooooooo pissed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No problem, am also mad, I really wanted this one to go through.

HarveyWallbangers
04-29-2007, 09:39 AM
Did anybody read this?

Moss already has agreed to dramatically restructure his contract, which is scheduled to pay him $9.75 million this coming season. New England was the one and only place Moss would agree to take a reduced contract, and he did so knowing that he would have the chance to win a Super Bowl. With the off-season that New England has had, no team in football has a better chance.

He probably wanted to go to Green Bay, but the fan reaction to him changed his mind. So, can we blame not getting Moss on the fans?

RashanGary
04-29-2007, 09:40 AM
If he's only willing to restructure for NE then there was nothing we could do.

gbpackfan
04-29-2007, 09:40 AM
With the offseason that NE has had! GB has had NO offseason! We dont sign FA!!!!!! I HATE TT!!!!! DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gbpackfan
04-29-2007, 09:42 AM
The deal fell through!!!!!!!!!!!!

READ

http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=197429&srvc=home

PaCkFan_n_MD
04-29-2007, 09:44 AM
With the offseason that NE has had! GB has had NO offseason! We dont sign FA!!!!!! I HATE TT!!!!! DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't think this is on TT, as Jennings said it was moss's choice because it was his choice on what team he would restructure with. If his contract wasn't a problem, Moss wouldn't have a say and the trade of been b/w the teams and the raiders would have just accepted the best offer.

oregonpackfan
04-29-2007, 09:45 AM
Moss not a Packer? Hallelujah!

Mark my words, by the end of the season the Patriots will regret signing Moss.

Bretsky
04-29-2007, 09:52 AM
Before or after they win the Super Bowl ?

Tony Oday
04-29-2007, 09:55 AM
Before or after they win the Super Bowl ?

no shit. terrible move on TTs part this was the last thing he could do to save an offseason. I wouldnt doubt that the Favre just decides to say F it.

Rastak
04-29-2007, 09:59 AM
Did anybody read this?

He probably wanted to go to Green Bay, but the fan reaction to him changed his mind. So, can we blame not getting Moss on the fans?

No way would I blame the fans....

GBRulz
04-29-2007, 10:02 AM
I certainly do not blame the fans. Perhaps our lack of offseason moves and uncertainty in our draft selections (although this holds true for most picks) so far might be a bigger reason why Moss didn't want to come here.

MJZiggy
04-29-2007, 10:02 AM
Just to reiterate...THE DEAL FELL THROUGH. Happy Roller Coaster riding here at packerrats.com.

cpk1994
04-29-2007, 10:24 AM
Just to reiterate...THE DEAL FELL THROUGH. Happy Roller Coaster riding here at packerrats.com.

NO IT DIDN"T. ESPN has already reported that Randy is in Boston and will become a Patriot.

MJZiggy
04-29-2007, 10:51 AM
I know. The media can't seem to make up its mind today. So who's the Colston of this draft?

Packers4Ever
04-29-2007, 11:53 AM
Moss not a Packer? Hallelujah!

Mark my words, by the end of the season the Patriots will regret signing Moss.

OPF, I just hope you're right. I was going to say we were (again) a day late and a dollar short, but that just wasn't the case this time, obviously. NE now has all the tools needed.....

MJZiggy
04-29-2007, 11:54 AM
And if luck's not on their side, they will implode in spectacular fashion!!!

Bretsky
04-29-2007, 12:36 PM

As you know Ziggy, I never thought TT would make this deal work from day one. So no surprise here, and no roller coaster. We just got what I expected.

HarveyWallbangers
04-29-2007, 01:00 PM
As you know Ziggy, I never thought TT would make this deal work from day one. So no surprise here, and no roller coaster. We just got what I expected.

You are becoming like some of these Thompson bashers that go way overboard. I understand he hasn't done enough in FA. I agree. However, it sounds like you can't pin this on Thompson. He was willing to pay what he should for Moss, and Moss didn't want to play in Green Bay. This deal sounds like it had absolutely nothing to do with Thompson. If you said that I never thought Moss would want to play in Green Bay from day one, I'd be more correct.

GBRulz
04-29-2007, 01:12 PM
had TT been a little more aggressive in FA, do you think Moss might have come here instead?

HarveyWallbangers
04-29-2007, 01:16 PM
Over New England? Doubtful. Unfortunately, he could dictate where he wanted to go.