PDA

View Full Version : Most surprising draft pick or non-pick on Day 1?

oregonpackfan
04-29-2007, 10:21 AM
What is the most surprising draft pick or non-pick for Day 1?

Perhaps my most surprising pick was seeing Tampa Bay select safety Sabby Piscitelli out of Oregon State late in the second round.

Most scouts projected Piscitelli as being chosen in the late 3rd or early 4th round.

I have watched Piscitelli play for the Beavers the past two seasons and thought he was an excellent Division I player. At the same time, I am not convinced he is an NFL calibur player.

Piscitelli has immense size for a safety at 6'3" and 225 lbs. He is a good hitter, has good range, and is a field-smart type of player. His deep coverage skills are questionable and perhaps his Achilles Heel.

Because of his size, some scouts predicted the NFL team choosing him might try to convert him to an ouside linebacker. I view this option as a wise one.

What was your biggest surprise on draft day 1?

HarveyWallbangers
04-29-2007, 10:24 AM
Probably James Jones, but I've only followed GB closely.

You can't teach Sabby's measurables.

Lurker64
04-29-2007, 10:24 AM
Kevin Kolb with the Eagle's high second round (and Philadelphia's first) pick. He's a system QB who almost nobody had ranked above some of the QBs that went after him, and Philly isn't one of those teams that's really desperate for a QB (like Miami, who strangely passed on Quinn to take a punt returner for some reason.)

BallHawk
04-29-2007, 10:28 AM
Kevin Kolb with the Eagle's high second round (and Philadelphia's first) pick. He's a system QB who almost nobody had ranked above some of the QBs that went after him, and Philly isn't one of those teams that's really desperate for a QB (like Miami, who strangely passed on Quinn to take a punt returner for some reason.)

Yeah, Kolb was a shocker.