PDA

View Full Version : Radio Feedback

Packnut
04-29-2007, 12:55 PM
Was listening to WTMJ this a.m. and the over-whelming majority of Packer fans who called in are more pissed off about this draft than any in recent history. Even one of the announcers called the 1st rd pick "Shermanesque" from the point of reaching.

In any event both announcers agreed with my opinion from yetserday that this draft alone decides Thompson's future. That's how it should be. If he blew it on either of those first 2 picks, or if drafting injury prone players blows up in his face, than he's got to go. Teddy always has to try to prove he's smarter than everyone else. Well now we're gonna find out.

BallHawk
04-29-2007, 01:01 PM
The average fan wants to see big names. They don't want to see a Defensive Tackle, they want WR or RB.

I could care less what the fans think, they're not running the team.

Packnut
04-29-2007, 01:04 PM
The average fan wants to see big names. They don't want to see a Defensive Tackle, they want WR or RB.

I could care less what the fans think, they're not running the team.

Ok not a fan's opinion.

Kyle Trembley of NFL Draft Class is the latest to give a thumbs down to the Packers' first day of picks.

Trembley lists Green Bay - along with Philadelphia and Miami - in his bottom three from Day 1. He writes:

"First, I like the Brandon Jackson pick, so just getting that out of the way. But at the same time, why not trade for Michael Turner, who could have almost certainly been had with the pick used on Jackson (plus maybe an additional middle rounder)? My main criticism, however, is that I don't understand the Harrell selection at all. Could the Packers use another defensive tackle? Sure. But they have about 6 positions that are clearly much more pressing issues. Harrell is the prototype of a defensive tackle who fails in the NFL (around 300 pounds, injury concerns, disappears from games...you know the drill), and he would have been much better suited as an end in a 3-4. He's probably the most likely player to be a bust in the entire 2007 first round - and the fact that the Packers reached for him at 16 and didn't even attempt to fill a real need is baffling. Sure they addressed needs in the third and fourth round, but I question the quality of the players. Sure Jones is a sleeper, but he's no better than Greg Jennings or anybody else the Packers drafted last year. He's just another guy who might have a good game or two, but won't be a consistent target for Brett Favre. Rouse has enticing size and speed, but poor lateral agility is an absolute killer for safeties, and it's what will keep Rouse from ever being a quality starter. If Jackson can be the team's every-down back, then he might single-handedly carry this draft - but barring that, it was not a good day for Green Bay."

BallHawk
04-29-2007, 01:07 PM
Let me correct my statement....

I could care less what anybody who isn't on the Packers Staff thinks, they're not running the team.

Scott Campbell
04-29-2007, 01:10 PM

I could care less what anybody who isn't on the Packers Staff thinks, they're not running the team.

But it's Kyle Trembley.

Tarlam!
04-29-2007, 01:11 PM
Oh Packnut, "Ye of little faith".....

TT drafts not for need. End of explanaition.

Scott Campbell
04-29-2007, 01:12 PM
I dunno. After all, those 2 announcer guys on the radio agreed with him.

BallHawk
04-29-2007, 01:13 PM

But it's Kyle Trembley.

The guy sounds like a real expert.

"'I'm a lifelong (and, therefore, long-suffering) Chargers fan, which means I'm naturally going to be a little cynical; but I prefer the term "realistic." Please keep that in mind when you're sending me angry emails because I criticized your team for drafting Pacman Jones. Also keep in mind that his chances of making the Pro Bowl at any point in his career are about the same as his chances of making the "All-County Jail Team." Why I chose Pacman Jones to hate on in my profile, I will never know. Moving on: I'm the Sports Information Director at Cal State San Marcos, a small college here in Southern California. I'm a Senior there as well, majoring in Business Management. Chances are I'll never directly use my business degree, but I figure I might as well go through the motions of acquiring it. Hopefully I'll be able to continue working in sports-related fields, and someday be a marginally well-known columnist for ESPN! Or CBS, where I could replace some of the well-meaning but absolutely clueless writers there."

Scott Campbell
04-29-2007, 01:15 PM
I'm the Sports Information Director at Cal State San Marcos, a small college here in Southern California. I'm a Senior there as well, majoring in Business Management.

ROFL

RashanGary
04-29-2007, 01:22 PM
I'm just looking forward to seeing these guys play. If this draft is bad and these guys don't play I'll certainly start to question TT. He's had his chance to get acclimated. There is no excuse for 2 out of 3 bad drafts.

That said, nothing that has happened this weekend makes me think this is a bad draft. It's all wait and see right now.

RashanGary
04-29-2007, 01:23 PM
I dunno. After all, those 2 announcer guys on the radio agreed with him.

:lol:

b bulldog
04-29-2007, 08:20 PM
All ther guys on TMJ are much less knowledgeable on the draft and football than most in here except Larivee and Dennis Krause. The two geeks that have their own little show on weekends are a bunch of dweebs.

digitaldean
04-29-2007, 08:44 PM
Was listening to WTMJ this a.m. and the over-whelming majority of Packer fans who called in are more pissed off about this draft than any in recent history. Even one of the announcers called the 1st rd pick "Shermanesque" from the point of reaching.

In any event both announcers agreed with my opinion from yetserday that this draft alone decides Thompson's future. That's how it should be. If he blew it on either of those first 2 picks, or if drafting injury prone players blows up in his face, than he's got to go. Teddy always has to try to prove he's smarter than everyone else. Well now we're gonna find out.

I agree that this draft will make or break TT's tenure here. If the Packers stink horribly this year, I don't think Jones will allow a lame duck season for McCarthy or allow TT to stick around.

Saw players that kept slipping by:
1.) Paul Williams, Fresno State
2.) Michael Bush, Louisville
3.) Brian Leonard, Rutgers, etc.

I don't care for the inactivity on the Michael Turner front either. Obviously, there may be reasons that he didn't get him, but they better be darn good ones.

Not getting Moss is a relief. He didn't want to do a physical for GB. This tells me he doesn't want to play here and would've been an expensive disruption if things went south. Given his past mental farts, all it will take is for Brady to get hurt or some sort of problem that causes them to have a non-Patriot-like season for Moss to act up. He's proven repeatedly he has multi-million dollar talent and 5 cent brain. Good riddance to him! He will end up being the T.O. of the AFC.

Again, TT will make his mark, positively or negatively, on this team for the long haul. I admire his sticking to his guns on what HE thinks is best for this team. But if he fails, he better own up to the fact and be willing to face the consequences.