PDA

View Full Version : Yeah....TT was thinking about Favre.

PackerBlues
04-29-2007, 02:50 PM
Ego and vanity. Those are the two words that came to mind when I saw TT blow our first round pick on Harrell. It was just a safe pick for him to make. If Harrell never shows anything, everyone will look back and say "TT took a gamble, but it was a gamble worth taking". HA HA But if Harrell pans out, people will say "Oh my....what a genius old Teddy is". Too Funny! So much controversy on this pick. I doubt that I was the only guy to notice the "WTF Look" on the faces of the espn crew as the pick was announced. WE DO NOT NEED A DT! I do not care how good he "Might" be. Might.....Maybe.....Could be. YAY we have a might maybe could be DT that we really honestly just did not need. JOY.

Simply put, TT is drooling at the thought of Favre retiring. Thats the vanity part. Until Favre is gone, TT cannot put his stamp on this team and call it his. It will never be his team until Favre is gone. So what does he do? Last year it was the O-line, this year, he dismantles the running game. Sure, we needed another WR to stretch the field. Sure we needed a tightend with a little more drive then good old Bubba. But before we go after those players that we really need, lets get rid of Green.....after all, we just didnt have the cap room to sign him did we......OOPS ( lookin like we have plenty of cap room now......bet ya thought we were gonna sign Moss with that money didnt ya). Henderson? the way he was leaping defenders last year, the consumate team player. The guy was a fitness freak. He was also playing for the veterans minimum salary and was a stud on special teams. He just was not TT's guy though was he?

I guess we should have a real good defense though. I did read the article where TT stated that defense wins games. The word that came to mind when i read that was "JackASS". Tear apart an offense that was built around one of the greatest quarterbacks to ever play the game. Make no apparent effort to rebuild said offense. Then tell people that Defense wins games. OH Teddy....you are a smart one. JackAss!!!

As for those of you that want to tell me how smart you think old Teddy is.....let me show you smart........ Here is what the Patriots managed to do for Brady this year: Besides picking up Moss, New England has already added three other wide receivers this offseason: Wes Welker in a trade with Miami, and Donte' Stallworth and Kelley Washington as free agents.

Kind of sounds to me like Brady has been given a chance to score some points this year......what did Teddy do for Favre? We still have Fergy. Oh, and lets not forget the drunk......whatshisname......the guy that wont be playing until after the first four games. Yeah, Whatshisname. Funny how Randy Moss is not good enough for the Packers, but a guy that gets drunk and leads police on a high speed chase is. Freakin Knee slappin funny.

Wanna talk about cap room? Dont worry, TT will spend that money......just as soon as Favre retires. Until then, just get used to 8-8, cause thats about the best this team is going to do until TT gets his way.

PackerTimer
04-29-2007, 02:52 PM
You are an idiot.

Tarlam!
Wow.

Run outta beer where you are?

J-Rok
I politely disagree.

Put the gun down..

Lurker64
04-29-2007, 02:53 PM
Yup. Ted Thompson is intentionally trying to sabotage the Packers. I don't see how I could have missed it before.

bbbffl66
04-29-2007, 02:54 PM
Astute observations.

MadtownPacker
04-29-2007, 02:54 PM
While not a believer of this theory I have to admit those who do feel that way have alot of reason to. Why woud TT do it? Who knows because it would be a terrible plan but damn, no Moss or Turner or TE has me shaken.

NewsBruin
04-29-2007, 02:55 PM
I would have really, really liked some offensive gamebreakers (and secondary and young QB's and...), but one thing I've got to say is that I like what seems to be this guy's character and leadership.

We seem to have done some work drafting a young, excited, dedicated defense. This guy has good run-stopping bulk and power, and DT's are mighty expensive in the Free Agent market.

I'm of the belief that you can never have too good of a line, and while I don't like TT's "look at me outsmart the rest of the league with my drafting sk1llzors" attitude, I like him picking the final guy Tennessee deemed worthy to ever wear 92.

RashanGary
04-29-2007, 02:57 PM
I don't think Thompson has any plans to ruin the team so Favre retires.

It's funny, it's said that people tend to assume others have the same personality traits as themselves. People must really think that Thompson is a glory seeker and they think that because they themselves do it so they assume others do the same.

I'm sorry but almost every GM just wants to do the best job he can for the team he works for. He probably wants to be a part of a special team and had to start from scratch in a lot of ways.

Tony Oday
04-29-2007, 03:05 PM
ah wow...

Lurker64
04-29-2007, 03:08 PM
ah wow...

Yeah, it's not quite Tank level of "raving and uninformed", but with practice it could be.

J-Rok
04-29-2007, 03:09 PM
Hahaha. I love the guy's signature.

"Reputation is made in a moment: It takes a lifetime to build character."

Have you happened to notice what TT's all about when he drafts?

Chubbyhubby
04-29-2007, 03:14 PM
I was listening to WTMJ 620 eailer today and they had a caller on the phone told the DJ's that Ted Thompson title of General Manager should be changed to General MORON!

LOL I started rolling on the floor laughing when I heard that.

Scott Campbell
04-29-2007, 03:19 PM
Some of you panic a little too easily.

http://www.435.org/People/tommy/09aTommyWetFront.jpg

b bulldog
04-29-2007, 03:21 PM
Those two idiots on TMJ know absolutely nothing about footbal. They were trying to say that both Hall and Branch were or are very good players and iRONS WAS THE STEAL OF THE DRAFT. I reaaly tried to get through on the phone but the lines were tied up :x

bbbffl66
04-29-2007, 03:25 PM
Some of you panic a little too easily.

http://www.435.org/People/tommy/09aTommyWetFront.jpg

Yes, 12-20 in 2 years and precious little hope for this year is panicking too easily!

Packers4Ever
04-29-2007, 03:32 PM
I don't think Thompson has any plans to ruin the team so Favre retires.

It's funny, it's said that people tend to assume others have the same personality traits as themselves. People must really think that Thompson is a glory seeker and they think that because they themselves do it so they assume others do the same.

I'm sorry but almost every GM just wants to do the best job he can for the team he works for. He probably wants to be a part of a special team and had to start from scratch in a lot of ways.
---------------------------------------------------------
GJ, I absolutely could not have said it better, thanks!
What a :roll:

MasonCrosby
04-29-2007, 03:41 PM
i kind of like how TT drafts... he stockpiles picks and brings in a lot of young talent. he doesn't go for the big name brand school guy but that's just who he is. i just wish he'd sign a few good free agents too sometimes...

PackerBlues
04-29-2007, 03:42 PM
I dont suppose you happened to see such an incredibly funny "WTF look" from the ESPN crew before TT's pick was announced did you? Thing is, I know they were not the only ones with that look on there faces. What, did you think that those people in the Atrium were booing TT because they didnt like his tie?

By the way, I enjoy reading the opinions and even the "rants" of other Packer fans. well informed or not. You will not however see me going out of my way to call someone else names because I dont agree with something they say. There are a lot of posts that I do not agree with, so I just laugh em off or ignore them. I do not go out of my way to reply to a post just to call a guy an idiot. Seems to show a lack of........gee I dunno........Character?

HarveyWallbangers
04-29-2007, 03:49 PM
You will not however see me going out of my way to call someone else names because I dont agree with something they say. There are a lot of posts that I do not agree with, so I just laugh em off or ignore them.

No. You save those for Ted Thompson--because your board didn't match with the Packers board.

Your response will be that it wasn't just your board, but I try to caution people every year not to put too much stock into what the boards of the so-called expert's say. They may resemble team's boards before the combine, but after that they often don't come close. Just because the likes of Sean Salisbury and Scott Wright say Justin Harrell should go #25 and he goes #16 or Donte Whitner should go #18 and he goes #8 doesn't mean it's what most scouts think.

PackerBlues
04-29-2007, 04:03 PM
No Harvey, actually I dont put any stock in what the so-called experts say about who should go where. I honestly do beleive that TT does have a talent for finding.....talent. While I may have gone a little overboard with my sarcastic rant, It is my firm opinion that Harrell is not needed by this team and just about any other pick would have made me and probably a lot of other people happy. I wont go into who was still on the board or who I thought they should have taken, I am simply stating my opinion, sorry.

Tony Oday
04-29-2007, 04:12 PM
No Harvey, actually I dont put any stock in what the so-called experts say about who should go where. I honestly do beleive that TT does have a talent for finding.....talent. While I may have gone a little overboard with my sarcastic rant, It is my firm opinion that Harrell is not needed by this team and just about any other pick would have made me and probably a lot of other people happy. I wont go into who was still on the board or who I thought they should have taken, I am simply stating my opinion, sorry.

If harrell is the key to a top 5 run stopping defense Im all about it :)

The Shadow
04-29-2007, 04:35 PM
Isn't a GM supposed to think about his TEAM - and not the best interests of one player?
I'm very happy with the way Thompson approaches building a team for the long haul. Will the draft picks work out? No one knows - but based on TT's track record, I would certainly give him the benefit of the doubt.

MasonCrosby
04-29-2007, 04:36 PM
Isn't a GM supposed to think about his TEAM - and not the best interests of one player?
I'm very happy with the way Thompson approaches building a team for the long haul. Will the draft picks work out? No one ones - but based on TT's track record, I would certianly give him the benefit of the doubt.

i think TT is really trying to build for the post Favre era which will inevitably come, and leave ARod with a good team around him that is getting better and maturing. I think he wants to help Favre win now too, but it's hard to go in both directions

HarveyWallbangers
04-29-2007, 04:42 PM
nbarnett56,

I think you are exactly right. He's in a tough position. Everybody wants him to try to win now for Favre, but he knows that's not what he was brought in for. He tries to balance a bit, but his main focus is building a team for the long haul.

RashanGary
04-29-2007, 04:46 PM
If harrell is the key to a top 5 run stopping defense Im all about it :)

Yep, and not only will he be the key to the run defense but he'll provide rest for your pass rushers on run downs and they'll be better at what they do too.

cheesner
04-29-2007, 05:08 PM
I dont suppose you happened to see such an incredibly funny "WTF look" from the ESPN crew before TT's pick was announced did you? Thing is, I know they were not the only ones with that look on there faces. What, did you think that those people in the Atrium were booing TT because they didnt like his tie?

By the way, I enjoy reading the opinions and even the "rants" of other Packer fans. well informed or not. You will not however see me going out of my way to call someone else names because I dont agree with something they say. There are a lot of posts that I do not agree with, so I just laugh em off or ignore them. I do not go out of my way to reply to a post just to call a guy an idiot. Seems to show a lack of........gee I dunno........Character?
I agree - its almost as bad as someone making ridiculous and foolish comments about TT, bashing his reputation and motivation from a completely baseless and uninformed point of view.

GoPackGo
04-29-2007, 05:22 PM
I trust that TT made the best draft picks he could. Be patient with free agent signings, didn't TT say he would wait until later rounds of cuts to pursue free agents? Free agency isn't over until the season starts. More free agents will be available later this year when teams figure out how to sign their draft picks. Now we have tons of young talent, didn't overpay for any free agents, resigned our own players, and still have cap room to sign another positive addition without over paying.
TT is a responsible GM and the Packers future is bright.

GrnBay007
04-29-2007, 05:38 PM
Take a few deep breaths guys! While the original post in this thread might not be the general view of the people on this forum, it should not be met with name calling. I would bet there are quite a few Packer fans out there in Packerland that would agree with it. This is a place to post opinions/thoughts to provide Packer discussion, not to bash someone's views that don't agree with your own. Seek out a discussion on the matter rather than bash the original idea.

BallHawk
04-29-2007, 06:05 PM
What, did you think that those people in the Atrium were booing TT because they didnt like his tie?

Because, ultimately, the 12 year-olds of Wisconsin know more than a whole scouting department. :roll:

GrnBay007
04-29-2007, 06:24 PM
What, did you think that those people in the Atrium were booing TT because they didnt like his tie?

Because, ultimately, the 12 year-olds of Wisconsin know more than a whole scouting department. :roll:

C'mon ballhawk, you have to admit, that group of seven or so young people they showed in that quick clip of the atrium did not make all that noise. That initial reaction was really no different then the majority of the people following the draft thread in this forum..........notice how I say initial reaction?

ZachMN
04-29-2007, 06:45 PM
I remember a receiver being drafted late last year like number 252 who turned out to be pretty good. Given that fact how smart are all the "experts" and GM's?? They are making educated guesses. No one knows who is going to be good so to piss and moan and act like TT is an idiot is simply ridiculous. They play the games for real and until I see this team tank I will not pass judgement based on what scouts say. Every year guys who are "can't miss" turn out to be busts or average. Ron Wolf drafted Jamal Reynolds for chrissakes!
I just want the malaise that Sherman brought to 1265 Lombardi ave to be eradicated for EVER! Go PACK

And for what its worth as much as Favre has meant to me as a lifelong fan in Minnesota and to Packer nation the team comes first so this selfish stuff about getting him a ring has got to stop. He is one play away from being gone forever and the team will have to be strong to fill in the void of losing a Legend. TT is way ahead of the detractors.........Strong lines on both sides of the ball perfect strategy- they are the foundation of the game and the peripheral pieces will be easier to plug in later once the foundation is laid....

Packnut
04-29-2007, 06:59 PM
Take a few deep breaths guys! While the original post in this thread might not be the general view of the people on this forum, it should not be met with name calling. I would bet there are quite a few Packer fans out there in Packerland that would agree with it. This is a place to post opinions/thoughts to provide Packer discussion, not to bash someone's views that don't agree with your own. Seek out a discussion on the matter rather than bash the original idea.

Actually, if you check most of the sites that have opinion polls, a large majority of Packer fans believe this draft pretty much sucked. So do most of the people who cover football for a living. The ONLY ones enamored with this draft are the Thompson sheep. They will try to tell you the fans are ignorant and know nothing, yet they are fans also so why assume they know anything?

The facts speak for themselves. We have sucked in the red zone for the last 3 years. Nothing has been done to fix that. I would love for just one of the sheep to explain in football terms how the red zone problems are fixed?
But they can't, so they try to bully anyone who dis-agrees with what's going on. All they do is spout the same old BS with no real answers.

When you try to corner and of the sheep with direct questions, all you get is wishfull thinking. They would'nt know a FACT if it jumped up and bit them in the ass.

When you debate a point, you use fact and logic. You base future assumptions on past preformance. Wishfull thinking is for losers who have NOTHING to back up their point. Tell me with FACT what Thompson has done since the season ended to fix the red zone?

And for you clowns who believe all fans are stupid and un-important, let me explain that the FANS are the ones who support the team through tickets, merchandise and watching on tv which create revenue. Fans do have a right to dis-agree whether you like it or not. This forum is here to discuss a variety of opinions and though we all want the same result, we differ on how to get there.

retailguy
04-29-2007, 07:04 PM
Actually, if you check most of the sites that have opinion polls, a large majority of Packer fans believe this draft pretty much sucked. So do most of the people who cover football for a living. The ONLY ones enamored with this draft are the Thompson sheep. They will try to tell you the fans are ignorant and know nothing, yet they are fans also so why assume they know anything?

The facts speak for themselves. We have sucked in the red zone for the last 3 years. Nothing has been done to fix that. I would love for just one of the sheep to explain in football terms how the red zone problems are fixed?
But they can't, so they try to bully anyone who dis-agrees with what's going on. All they do is spout the same old BS with no real answers.

When you try to corner and of the sheep with direct questions, all you get is wishfull thinking. They would'nt know a FACT if it jumped up and bit them in the ass.

When you debate a point, you use fact and logic. You base future assumptions on past preformance. Wishfull thinking is for losers who have NOTHING to back up their point. Tell me with FACT what Thompson has done since the season ended to fix the red zone?

And for you clowns who believe all fans are stupid and un-important, let me explain that the FANS are the ones who support the team through tickets, merchandise and watching on tv which create revenue. Fans do have a right to dis-agree whether you like it or not. This forum is here to discuss a variety of opinions and though we all want the same result, we differ on how to get there.

I'm on the wrong side of the fence for this one Packnut, but I'll tell you why the redzone sucked last season. That's because Bubba was earning his keep by blocking and not catching.

The simple fact is, that the line did not play as well as is remembered here. They've got a LONG way to go before they arrive at the "adequate" junction. Only then can they abandon "max protect". Losing that weapon in the red zone is what killed their efficiency last season. Favre needs multiple weapons, if he has them, he'll find one of them. If he's got one guy, sometimes he'll get that guy, and sometimes, he'll get the opposing defense...

Max Protect is THE biggest single reason for red zone efficiency (or lack thereof) last season.

GoPackGo
04-29-2007, 07:07 PM
good point kool-aid

ND72
04-29-2007, 07:09 PM
I don't know if any of you caught the story on sportscenter, but Randy Moss refused to a physical with the Packers, essentually refusing a trade to Green Bay. The Raiders contacted Bus Cook, asked of which 3 teams Randy would go to a physical for, and the only team he agreed to was New England. Can't blame Ted Thompson if he was trying to get him, but he refused the trade.

Partial
04-29-2007, 07:09 PM

The entire spirits bar that WSSP had its celebration at was booing. No one expected that guy.

packers11
04-29-2007, 07:10 PM
I don't know if any of you caught the story on sportscenter, but Randy Moss refused to a physical with the Packers, essentually refusing a trade to Green Bay. The Raiders contacted Bus Cook, asked of which 3 teams Randy would go to a physical for, and the only team he agreed to was New England.

REALLY? wow... Im shocked... I thought he wanted to play with Favre :(

GrnBay007
04-29-2007, 07:14 PM
Why is Bus Cook saying that? He's not his agent anymore, is he?

But I did hear the same thing about refusing a physical for GB.

(up yours randy :shock: ) :P

cheesner
04-29-2007, 07:34 PM

Fix the red zone? What about getting a consistent pass rush. Or stopping giving up the big pass play? Or how about overall improvement of our special teams?

There is more wrong with the Packers than just more efficiency in the red zone. One draft nor one player is going to make the Packers suddenly a powerhouse. It will take patient building through the draft.

The Packer fan favorite last season was to draft WR Jackson in the 2nd. Packer favorite the year before was Earnest Shazor, TT opted for unknown Nick Collins. Shazor didn't get drafted. Nick could be a budding star. I have not seen anyone state that fans are un-important, but I have seen many unintelligent posts by uninformed reactionary fans.

BallHawk
04-29-2007, 07:36 PM
Why is Bus Cook saying that? He's not his agent anymore, is he? (up yours randy :shock: ) :P

Didn't Randy's agent get busted for being found in a hotel room with a prostitute and some rocks?

RashanGary
04-29-2007, 08:01 PM
I'm on the wrong side of the fence for this one Packnut, but I'll tell you why the redzone sucked last season. That's because Bubba was earning his keep by blocking and not catching.

The simple fact is, that the line did not play as well as is remembered here. They've got a LONG way to go before they arrive at the "adequate" junction. Only then can they abandon "max protect". Losing that weapon in the red zone is what killed their efficiency last season. Favre needs multiple weapons, if he has them, he'll find one of them. If he's got one guy, sometimes he'll get that guy, and sometimes, he'll get the opposing defense...

Max Protect is THE biggest single reason for red zone efficiency (or lack thereof) last season.

Good post RG, I'd add that the lines inability to get a push in the run game was amplified in the redzone too so it was a double whammy. The line was, IMO, almost fully responsible for the struggles in the red zone last year.

I think the QB and teh recievers are pretty good if healthy. I think the RB stable is below average but servicable right now. I think the line will make or break the offense in 2007.

I'm a bit of an optimist but I expect those young guys to really step up.

Scott Campbell
04-29-2007, 09:39 PM

My, my - such passion.

I personally think you're too emotionally invested in Thompson's total failure to be objective. Any mention of hope or benefit of the doubt just seems to deepen your resolve. Well enjoy your misery if that's your thing. I plan on remaining neutral until I see how this plays out.

Anybody that uses Kyle Trembley as the expert to bolster his point of view has no business bitching about other peoples lack of facts.

PackerBlues
04-29-2007, 10:37 PM
"I have not seen anyone state that fans are un-important, but I have seen many unintelligent posts by uninformed reactionary fans."

wow cheesner, there you go saying things about other people being un-intelligent and uninformed. Enlighten us all. It seems that you are the only person here who has ever read a newspaper, visited a website, or watched a packer game. At the very least it seems that your opinion is the only one that matters. Enlighten us and share your vast knowledge. LMFAO!!!!!

J-Rok
04-29-2007, 10:39 PM
Simmer down, gentlemen. We're all fans of the same team. Don't let that dumb Bearman seperate us.

Bretsky
04-29-2007, 10:41 PM
Simmer down, gentlemen. We're all fans of the same team. Don't let that dumb Bearman seperate us.

Yes, it's a long road and if TT brings us a title I'll glorify him like I do Wolf and Holmgren

MJZiggy
04-29-2007, 10:43 PM

Yes, it's a long road and if TT brings us a title I'll glorify him like I do Wolf and Holmgren

But will you get rid of that sig?

Bretsky
04-29-2007, 10:46 PM

But will you get rid of that sig?

Hmmm

Will he have signed a second free agent by 2015 ?

Kiwon
04-29-2007, 10:54 PM
Hmmm

Will he have signed a second free agent by 2015 ?

Come on, that's unreasonable. He would have signed four or five by then. It's hard to find those "Packer people" you know.

woodbuck27
04-30-2007, 02:14 PM

PackerBlues:

As I read through this thread I must say.

It's interesting to read the posts of those who will defend Ted Thompson by attacking anyone who is annoyed with his ways, means and style of being the Packer GM. People who I expect realize that it's one of those. . .

'what can I do as a Packer fan but wait and see if TT's way pans out or maybe even turns out to be brilliant'. :)

PackerBlues.

That's a brave post to begin this thread Packer fan.

It's honest and it has integrity.

PackerBlues
04-30-2007, 02:53 PM
Thanks WoodBuck, to be honest.....maybe I threw a little to much emotion into that post, but, after all, I have no doubt that I had a WTF look on my face when the pick was announced too.
Yes, I did think that TT might ignore Offense with the first pick..... I actually expected him to go Defense (heh heh...just to spite me, lol). Its just that I thought he would go with a CB for the future.....there was at least one really good one still available. Perhaps a safety, we could use one of those too (understatement). And while some people will say to take the best player available, we simply did not need a DT. (in my humble opinion anyway) TT can pick talent. I have no doubt that Harrell will be at the very least, "better than average". It is what it is now and I will be rooting for the guy just as much as I root for Favre or any other player on the team. Nuff said.

As for the part about TT wanting to put his stamp on the team.......listen, its fairly obvious that TT is without a doubt building a team for the future, AFTER Favre. And yes, it looks like he is hoping to put together a killer Defense for the team of the future. I have no doubt that it will be a very talented team.

Simple fact: TT has sold out on Favre. Its the truth and its plain as day. I understand that this is not Favre's team, I understand that its not all about Favre. But that does not change the fact that TT sold Favre out. This year Favre will more than likely break the majority of Dan Marinos records. Had TT even tried to help Favre out in the least little bit since coming to GB, a few of those records might have already been broken by Favre. He might have retired last year if he had gotten any help at all, but he didnt. I would be perfectly fine with Favre retiring, I would just rather see him go out with a ROAR, rather than a whimper.

Again take a look at the WR's that the Patriots picked up for Brady this off-season. TT must believe that Fergy and Robinson are all that Favre will need. Perhaps that wouldnt be all that bad, but we really dont have a tight end that is worth a $hit any more either do we? Our running game......unproven. But there is one thing we do know about our offense, they could NOT score points last year! What makes anyone honestly think that this year will be any different. I hope I am wrong, I am a natural pessimest, However, a pessimest is nothing more than an optimest with experience.

Thanks again for the kind words WoodBuck.......much better than being called an idiot, lol.

woodbuck27
04-30-2007, 03:31 PM
Thanks WoodBuck, to be honest.....maybe I threw a little to much emotion into that post, but, after all, I have no doubt that I had a WTF look on my face when the pick was announced too.

woodbuck27:

A little emotion is OK. TT did nothing for us in the off season except sign players that deserved to remain Packers. Some of us are tired of his 'in your face BS'.

PackerBlues:

Yes, I did think that TT might ignore Offense with the first pick..... I actually expected him to go Defense (heh heh...just to spite me, lol). Its just that I thought he would go with a CB for the future.....there was at least one really good one still available. Perhaps a safety, we could use one of those too (understatement). And while some people will say to take the best player available, we simply did not need a DT. (in my humble opinion anyway) TT can pick talent. I have no doubt that Harrell will be at the very least, "better than average". It is what it is now and I will be rooting for the guy just as much as I root for Favre or any other player on the team. Nuff said.

woodbuck27:

TT's pick at 16 was a shock but again he's consistent in his agenda and that forecast no help for us on 'O'. Still of all the picks why DT?

This guy??? 16 16 Green Bay Harrell, Justin DT 6-4 305 Tennessee

and not a DE ???

17 17 Denver (from Jacksonville) Moss, Jarvis DE 6-6 251 Florida

I really liked this CB as I didn't expect help fr. TT on 'O', but TT said no !

18 18 Cincinnati Hall, Leon CB 5-11 193 Michigan

or this FS:

19 19 Tennessee Griffin, Michael FS 6-0 195 Texas

then this CB was available but not on TT's board I guess:

20 20 N.Y. Giants Ross, Aaron CB 6-1 192 Texas

How many of us at times felt it might be this fella:

21 21 Jacksonville (from Denver) Nelson, Reggie FS 6-0 193 Florida

22 22 Cleveland (from Dallas) Quinn, Brady QB 6-3 226 Notre Dame

or this guy????

23 23 Kansas City Bowe, Dwayne WR 6-2 217 Louisiana State

24 24 New England (from Seattle) Meriweather, Brandon FS 5-11 192 Miami (Fla.)

25 25 Carolina (from N.Y. Jets) Beason, Jon OLB 6-0 236 Miami (Fla.)

26 26 Dallas (from Philadelphia) Spencer, Anthony DE 6-3 266 Purdue

or this guy???

27 27 New Orleans Meachem, Robert WR 6-3 211 Tennessee

PackerBlues:

As for the part about TT wanting to put his stamp on the team.......listen, its fairly obvious that TT is without a doubt building a team for the future, AFTER Favre. And yes, it looks like he is hoping to put together a killer Defense for the team of the future. I have no doubt that it will be a very talented team.

woodbuck27:

I have serious doubt that TT will build a solid contender for the Packers because of just the way he is. I study him carefully and I read alot of negative opinion on him.We see players visit and leave Green Bay with nothing and as Packer fans are left empty.

The players around the league must form an opinion on how pleasant or successful it would be playing for the Packers under Ted Thompson, and I suspect that under TT Green Bay falls short of a desireable destination.

PackerBlues:

Simple fact: TT has sold out on Favre. Its the truth and its plain as day. I understand that this is not Favre's team, I understand that its not all about Favre. But that does not change the fact that TT sold Favre out. This year Favre will more than likely break the majority of Dan Marinos records. Had TT even tried to help Favre out in the least little bit since coming to GB, a few of those records might have already been broken by Favre. He might have retired last year if he had gotten any help at all, but he didnt. I would be perfectly fine with Favre retiring, I would just rather see him go out with a ROAR, rather than a whimper.

woodbuck27:

It's over the top too obvious.

I've always maintained and I'll go one step further. It's just Ted Thompson's job to as carefully as required. Push out Brett Favre.

Getting rid of possibly the greatest Packer in history and still one of the most popular players in the NFL is a delicate and as we're seeing daunting task.

PackerBlues:

Again take a look at the WR's that the Patriots picked up for Brady this off-season. TT must believe that Fergy and Robinson are all that Favre will need. Perhaps that wouldnt be all that bad, but we really dont have a tight end that is worth a $hit any more either do we? Our running game......unproven. But there is one thing we do know about our offense, they could NOT score points last year! What makes anyone honestly think that this year will be any different. I hope I am wrong, I am a natural pessimest, However, a pessimest is nothing more than an optimest with experience.

woodbuck27:

Never sell out on Brett Favre. He will win us games with few weapons.

Ted Thompson is ensuring that each season Favre will be weakened in that respect. Less and then less weapons.

Again.

Perfectly clear and in all our faces. Perfectly intelligent Packer fans for whatever reason choose to ignore the obvious.

Becauser you don't. Never sacrifice your personal integrity to call it as it is.

Respect yourself first. Post honestly and always be ready to back yourself up. You can expect the Ted Thompson people to go at you with rudeness an exclaim your idiocy but some of us realize the TRUTH. :)

Thanks again for the kind words WoodBuck.......much better than being called an idiot, lol.

Peace Out !! :)

GO PACKERS !!

HarveyWallbangers
04-30-2007, 03:43 PM
Which player did you want him to pick? You can't say any of the next 10 because some will be busts. Some won't. Which guy would you have picked at #16?

PackerBlues
04-30-2007, 04:20 PM
"You can't say any of the next 10 because some will be busts. Some won't."

Well Harvey, I dont think I could have said it better myself (actually I could have, but why bother, you have already said it.) Because simply put, Harrell could just as easily be a bust, especially considering his history of injuries, wich is well documented. (How is that for informed?)

As far as your question.....Who would I have picked? Sorry buddy, unlike TT, I dont have a group of people working for me to help me make those decisions. I can however guarantee you that DT would have been the last F*@king thing I would have taken with our first pick!

HarveyWallbangers
04-30-2007, 04:23 PM
Nice! Way to back out of that one. TT's people obviously had Harrell at the top. So, you would have went away from taking the top guy on your board for need then? Worked well for Ron Wolf (he said his biggest mistakes were drafting for need--John Michels) and Mike Sherman.

Lurker64
04-30-2007, 04:24 PM
I can however guarantee you that DT would have been the last F*@king thing I would have taken with our first pick!

I can't claim to speak for everyone on this board, but I for one would very much prefer a GM who picks the player he expects to have the most impact on the team, no matter what position he happens to play. If all the guys you like at every other position are taken, what are you going to do, draft a guy you don't like?

I was also hoping Thompson would go defense in the first too, in interest of full disclosure.

PackerBlues
04-30-2007, 05:28 PM
way to back out of that one? wow. you are looking for a pissing match arent you!
I did say that CB would have been a great choice over DT didnt I? Do we need a CB right now? NO we do not. However, there was a CB that was touted as a starter by the name of Leon Hall, taken with the 18th pick. Thats two picks after us in case you are having trouble with the math there friend.

NFL.com : Revis-Hall ... Hall-Revis. They were the two best cornerbacks in the draft, and after the Jets selected Revis, there wasn't much the Bengals had to think about once their turn came up. Hall should instantly make Cincinnati's defense better. He has superb coverage skills, tremendous instincts, and outstanding toughness to lend strong support against the run.

While we do not need a CB right now, both Harris and Woodson are getting up there in age, Harris i believe is 33, and Woodson 31 or 32 i think. I would have had no problem with taking Hall, as it would have made sense. (Unlike picking an injury prone DT that again......we did not need!)

So many of you claiming that everyone else posting here is foolish, unintelligent, uninformed.......while doing nothing but repeating quotes from people long gone from the Packer organization. Do you have an opinion of your own?

I can tell that reading some of your posts, that your love for TT has blinded you though. Need another example of a guy that we could have used more than a DT? Ok, heres another one.
There is no doubt we need a coverage safety. Do you want to stand up now for the record and tell everyone that we dont? Reggie Nelson was picked 21st by the Jaguars. Let me help you with the math again, thats 5 picks after the Packers.......FIVE!

(Since I dont want to be called uninformed again), from NFL.com This was a no-brainer. The Jaguars traded into this spot knowing they had to have a safety. And they got who I believe is at least the second-best safety in the draft. Nelson is ready to step in as an immediate starter and will improve the Jaguars defense.

There was actually another Saftey taken inbetween by Tennessee with the 19th pick, Michael Griffin.....but his review didnt look to prominsing.

Now, while you may argue that these guys were not the best players available (seems like your only argument), I can just as easily counter your flimsy argument by pointing at Harrell's injury history. Of coarse you would then argue that he was at the top of TT's board........wich must make it the perfect pick right? The only pick that we should have made, right? Just what is it that you are doing when you bow down in front of TT the way that you do?

HarveyWallbangers
04-30-2007, 05:32 PM
So, you would have taken Leon Hall with that pick--since Revis was gone? That's all I wanted to know. Too old to be looking for a pissing match. Trying to have a discussion here. I understand that you are pissed at Ted Thompson, but try to have some understanding for the optimistic realists here. We're shrinking in numbers by the day. Then again, I'd say most of the same people who are pissed now, thought we would be 4-12 with no hope for the future after the 2006 season--at this point last year. Not trying to lump you in with that group, but we see a lot of them around here.

HarveyWallbangers
04-30-2007, 05:33 PM
You have a good friend from Richland Center, so I probably know you.
:D

PackerBlues
04-30-2007, 05:44 PM
Sorry Harvey......I do tend to get bent out of shape fairly easily.

Lurker64
04-30-2007, 05:53 PM
I would have been overjoyed with Revis, personally, but I wouldn't have wanted Hall. Hall's not a good bump and run corner, as the knock on him in college is that he gives a huge cushion (see the Ohio State Michigan shootout for proof.) I'd take Harrell over hall 11 times out of 13.

Also, the sheer mental capacity of the Nick Collins/Reggie Nelson safety tandem is a little terrifying. I wouldn't have been broken up about taking Nelson, but he's has really poor technique, so he probably wouldn't start right away over someone like Underwood.

Also, I'd like to point out that not all injury histories are equal. Harrell's injury is a torn bicep, which is an injury that is relatively simple to make a complete recovery from with surgery and rehab in under a year with no future adverse effects whatsoever. His other injuries were broken ankles, which can happen to any player in the trenches who's sufficiently unlucky. If Harrell had come off an ACL tear or something, that amount of injury history would give me pause because guys don't usually recover from those either quickly or right away. But since the bicep tear is a less than one year full recovery with no future adverse effects, and the man clearly doesn't have "brittle ankles" or some nonsense like that, his injury history really isn't that much a cause for worry.

I'd be really happy with Revis, but he was gone. I don't particularly think that Hall fits the system, and I like that Nelson is a hell of a playmaker but I don't think he could come in and start or get significant playing time as a rookie over the other young guys we have at safety, but I wouldn't have been upset with the pick (since he might be great in a couple of years.) I do think Nelson would have gotten fewer snaps this season than Harrell will, however.

HarveyWallbangers
04-30-2007, 05:59 PM
That should have read that I have a good friend from Richland Center.
:D

Nice area.

woodbuck27
04-30-2007, 08:24 PM
Which player did you want him to pick? You can't say any of the next 10 because some will be busts. Some won't. Which guy would you have picked at #16?

Personally I hoped that TT would pick either at CB. . . Leon Hall.

or give us something on "O".

either Dwayne Bowe or Robert Meachem.

As I follow the TT way. I would have been pleasently surprized if he went to a talented prospect on 'O' with our 16th pick. ie the above to help our offense.

The pick of a DT at #16 was not IMO the best option for our team.

HarveyWallbangers
04-30-2007, 08:38 PM
Name one. You can't say I would have taken these 4 guys. Good chance of those four guys, two will busts and two will work out, so it's impossible to judge if you would have made the right choice. Revis was gone. Would you have taken Hall?

HarveyWallbangers
08-13-2007, 10:43 PM
Never did get a name.

Partial
08-13-2007, 11:46 PM
Never did get a name.

:lol:

Deputy Nutz
08-13-2007, 11:50 PM
I wasn't really happy with who was there at the 16th pick, and I was one of the people hoping that TT was going to trade the pick with Cleveland and move down. Especially after Justin Harrell's name was announced.

oh well. Water over the damn bridge man overboard!

Zool
08-14-2007, 07:37 AM
CB at 16 was not any more of a need than was DT this season. Going foward, maybe CB was, maybe it wasnt. Maybe 2 guys go down at DT in the next 4 weeks, and TT is a hero and genius.

Maybe a corner goes down and he's a moron. Either way, he's drafting BPA regardless of position.