PDA

View Full Version : Undrafted FAs

BallHawk
04-29-2007, 05:00 PM
This thread is devoted to all and any Undrafted Free Agent that is signed to the Packers or any other team. Because we don't need a thread for every time we sign Taco Wallace II.

PaCkFan_n_MD
04-29-2007, 05:01 PM
Did Kevin Boss get drafted?

Lurker64
04-29-2007, 05:03 PM
How long does it usually take for undrafted FA names to start rolling in?

gbpackfan
04-29-2007, 05:05 PM
CB John Talley
CB Tavarious Bain

would be nice.

Rastak
04-29-2007, 05:06 PM
CB John Talley
CB Tavarious Bain

would be nice.

You're still alive! That's cool......

GB does need another CB....

Charles Woodson
04-29-2007, 05:08 PM
I really want to sign Darius walker, and Kevin Boss was drafted in the 5th round

BallHawk
04-29-2007, 05:09 PM
Did Kevin Boss get drafted?

Went in the 5th round to the Giants.

J-Rok
04-29-2007, 05:25 PM
It's almost time to open up the KFFL and refresh.

BallHawk
04-29-2007, 05:27 PM
How long does it usually take for undrafted FA names to start rolling in?

Almost instantly.

oregonpackfan
04-29-2007, 07:39 PM
I don't think TE Joe Newton of Oregon State was drafted. At 6'7", 255 lbs, he presents a big target at tight end.

More importantly, he can consistently do something Bubba Franks and Donald Lee cannot do--CATCH the ball!

Partial
04-29-2007, 07:47 PM
I don't think TE Joe Newton of Oregon State was drafted. At 6'7", 255 lbs, he presents a big target at tight end.

More importantly, he can consistently do something Bubba Franks and Donald Lee cannot do--CATCH the ball!

Lock him up!!

retailguy
04-29-2007, 08:37 PM

Lock him up!!

Can't. He, last I heard, wants $10 bucks an hour. Too rich for our blood. :P

gbpackfan
04-29-2007, 08:57 PM
CB John Talley
CB Tavarious Bain

would be nice.

You're still alive! That's cool......

GB does need another CB....

I'm barely hanging on buddy. At first glance, I have to say nice draft. As much as I hate to admit it, you guys did real well. MUCH better then last year.

esoxx
04-29-2007, 09:28 PM
Although not under contract, James Jones is basically in the UFA range that just happened to be picked in the 3rd round. :roll:

The_Dude
04-29-2007, 09:29 PM

I read on the nfldraftcountdown forums that Newton signed with Seattle

Lurker64
04-29-2007, 09:39 PM
Although not under contract, James Jones is basically in the UFA range that just happened to be picked in the 3rd round. :roll:

Just because some guy on the internet says some guy was going to be an undrafted FA, doesn't mean that the next few teams weren't interested in drafting the guy. Jones came off the board around the same time as a bunch of other WRs who were comparable in terms of skills and numbers, and honestly I think he'll produce better than Paul Williams who was taken shortly afterwards.

I mean, least year we were all screaming bloody murder since Tony Moll looked like an undrafted FA from the position of Mel Kiper, and internet draft sites. But where he was taken turned out to be more than appropriate based on production last year. Keep in mind that Thompson's scouts spend a lot more time looking at the players they draft than the Mel Kipers and Scott Wrights of the world spend looking at the guys the Packers pick.

I'm warming to Jones, the fact that he plays very physically and "has good ups" as they say would lead me to believe that he has the prospect to a decent red zone threat down the line.

Partial
04-29-2007, 09:43 PM

Just because some guy on the internet says some guy was going to be an undrafted FA, doesn't mean that the next few teams weren't interested in drafting the guy. Jones came off the board around the same time as a bunch of other WRs who were comparable in terms of skills and numbers, and honestly I think he'll produce better than Paul Williams who was taken shortly afterwards.

I mean, least year we were all screaming bloody murder since Tony Moll looked like an undrafted FA from the position of Mel Kiper, and internet draft sites. But where he was taken turned out to be more than appropriate based on production last year. Keep in mind that Thompson's scouts spend a lot more time looking at the players they draft than the Mel Kipers and Scott Wrights of the world spend looking at the guys the Packers pick.

I'm warming to Jones, the fact that he plays very physically and "has good ups" as they say would lead me to believe that he has the prospect to a decent red zone threat down the line.

See, but the way I see it, the difference between a third receiver putting up 500 yards versus 450 yards is neglible. They should have gone with Paul Williams because he is bigger, faster and can play the jump ball much better. You cannot always draft BPA. You need to address need as well. There has to be a comparison system in place.

BallHawk
04-29-2007, 09:49 PM
Paul Williams is half an inch bigger than Jones. Don't think we're gonna miss out on any Super Bowls because of that calculation error.

Lurker64
04-29-2007, 09:51 PM
See, but the way I see it, the difference between a third receiver putting up 500 yards versus 450 yards is neglible. They should have gone with Paul Williams because he is bigger, faster and can play the jump ball much better. You cannot always draft BPA. You need to address need as well. There has to be a comparison system in place.

Paul Williams never produced up to his ability, and there's questions as to whether his heart and head were in the right place in order to really take it to the next level. Williams has better measurables, but that's not all scouts look like. Williams has "classic underachiever" written all over him. Jones has "gamer who steps up when things get tough" written all over him. Williams has better measurables, but the two are close enough in that regard that I'm happier with the guy with heart.

For whatever reason, Thompson's scouts had Jones rated above Williams. I don't know why that is, but the fact that they are professional evaluators of football talent (and you and I are not) leads me to believe that they had a reason for doing so.

Everybody who gets drafted generally has the physical tools to make it in the NFL. What separates the ones who make it from the ones who don't is by and large their heart and their head.

Partial
04-29-2007, 09:52 PM
Paul Williams is half an inch bigger than Jones. Don't think we're gonna miss out on any Super Bowls because of that calculation error.

Life is a game of inches my friend. I don't care about the height, I care about the ability to play the ball in the air. That was the thing that stood out to me with Paul Williams. He has good body control in the air.

Jarrett has the 2nd best body control in the draft behind Johnson, though. He should be a packer.

esoxx
04-29-2007, 09:52 PM

Just because some guy on the internet says some guy was going to be an undrafted FA

You assume to much so spare me your sermon.

Lurker64
04-29-2007, 09:56 PM
You assume to much so spare me your sermon.

Let me know how many San Jose State games you watched last year, would you?

esoxx
04-29-2007, 09:57 PM
You're missing the point but not surprising.

Lurker64
04-29-2007, 09:59 PM
You're missing the point but not surprising.

Well, if you haven't seen the guy play and you're not relying on the opinion of various draft "experts", why exactly are you convinced that he's in the UFA range?

Patler
04-29-2007, 10:00 PM

Life is a game of inches my friend. I don't care about the height, I care about the ability to play the ball in the air. That was the thing that stood out to me with Paul Williams. He has good body control in the air.

Jarrett has the 2nd best body control in the draft behind Johnson, though. He should be a packer.

Well... the nfl.com evaluation of Jones had this:

Fights for the ball in traffic, generally coming up with it due to his determined attitude and leaping ability … Has the body control and timing on his leaps to compete for the ball at its high point …

esoxx
04-29-2007, 10:02 PM
I don't recall saying I didn't see him play. Again you assume too much. Move on.

We'll see how he turns out. Of course no one knows. But he sure as hell better produce more like a third than a late round/UFA guy, that's for damn sure.

HarveyWallbangers
04-29-2007, 10:03 PM
Actually, most publications had Jones as a 4th or 5th round grade. Then again, many of the same publications had Clowney as a 3rd round grade. So, we got the 5th round grade guy in round 3 and the 3rd round grade guy in round 5.

Partial
04-29-2007, 10:04 PM

Well... the nfl.com evaluation of Jones had this:

Fights for the ball in traffic, generally coming up with it due to his determined attitude and leaping ability … Has the body control and timing on his leaps to compete for the ball at its high point …

Well, hopefully he can become a big play wideout then. They need someone to score those tough touchdowns. This team was very, very good between the 20's last year(makes me think of the NFL network commercial about LT is pretty good.. between the 20s :lol: ). They could not capitalize to save their lives, though.

BallHawk
04-29-2007, 10:04 PM
Actually, most publications had Jones as a 4th or 5th round grade. Then again, many of the same publications had Clowney as a 3rd round grade. So, we got the 5th round grade guy in round 3 and the 3rd round grade guy in round 5.

And we got a 3rd round kicker in round 6!

Super Bowl here we come! :wink: :D

Lurker64
04-29-2007, 10:05 PM

The sense I was getting also was that Jones was moving up a lot of boards as the draft approached (for whatever reason guys move up boards.) So if you have a 4th or 5th round guy with upward momentum, seeing him in the middle of the third isn't at all weird.

Lurker64
04-29-2007, 10:07 PM
Also, anybody sign any undrafted free agents yet? Any sense if we're going after anybody?

esoxx
04-29-2007, 10:09 PM
Yeah that's the bottom line on these guys. Doesn't matter where they project it's where they actually end up getting drafted. Jones will be paid like a third round pick and will be expected to produce like one.

Same with Jackson, I saw him mostly going third to even fifth round but he was picked in the second. He gets paid as a second and will be expected to produce to a comensurate level.

BallHawk
04-30-2007, 05:56 AM
Chris Leak has been picked up by the Bears, continuing the tradition of bad QBs in Chicago.

TE Joe Newton signed with the Seahawks.

Rastak
04-30-2007, 06:21 AM
Vikings signed....

Jeremy Burnett, DB, South Florida

Brian Daniels, OL, Colorado

Alex Reyes, P, Texas Tech

EDIT: Actually, they claim they've got agreements with 15 guys but won't announce them until they've actually signed a contract.

green_bowl_packer
04-30-2007, 06:45 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=598476

Packers so far have signed

LB - Rory Johnson of Mississippi
LB - Juwan Simpson of Alabama
G - Pat Murray of Division II Truman State
QB - Jerry Babb of Louisiana-LaFayette.

Chubbyhubby
04-30-2007, 09:59 AM

Just on KFFL site and saw that Newton just signed with Seattle Seahawks.

HarveyWallbangers
04-30-2007, 10:07 AM
I would have liked Newton.

Rory Johnson is intriguing. If past history is any indication, then one or two of these rookie FAs they sign will end up making a roster and even have a chance of being a major contributer down the line.

BallHawk
04-30-2007, 11:06 AM
QB - Jerry Babb of Louisiana-LaFayette.

The next Jake Delhomme? :?:

Rastak
04-30-2007, 11:19 AM
Here's a guy I was pushing for yesterday...looks like the Vikings got him as an UFA:

Offensive tackle Chase Johnson wasn't chosen in the weekend's seven rounds but he spent little time on the free-agent market, signing with the Minnesota Vikings on Sunday evening.

"Minnesota was by far my best fit," Johnson said by telephone. "There are only eight offensive linemen on its roster right now and the Vikings are pretty thin at tackle. They didn't draft any O-linemen, and I'm the only one they've signed so far.

"I was kind of disappointed to go undrafted, but I'm still going to get a shot, so I can't complain."

Johnson said he leaves for the Vikings' mini-camp Thursday and will return home Sunday.

Chubbyhubby
04-30-2007, 02:10 PM
Did the Packers get any more rookies today? Besides the 4 yesterday?

HarveyWallbangers
04-30-2007, 02:46 PM
S Craig Dahl signed with the Giants. I was hoping he'd sign with Green Bay.

Bretsky
04-30-2007, 05:24 PM
If I was a undrafted guy at TE I'd be calling up GB and begging for a deal.

Farley Face
04-30-2007, 07:07 PM
Did the Packers get any more rookies today? Besides the 4 yesterday?

The Green Bay Packers have signed seven undrafted free agents.

The team has not announced the signings, but they have been confirmed through agents, schools and NFL sources. They are:

Quarterback Jerry Babb of Louisiana-Lafayette

Guard Pat Murray of Truman State

Linebacker Rory Johnson of Mississippi

Linebacker Juwan Simpson of Alabama

Defensive end Larry Birdine of Oklahoma

Defensive lineman Daniel Muir of Kent State

Fullback Ryan Powdrell of Southern California

All are expected to report to the Packers this week and participate in this weekend’s rookie minicamp.

ND72
04-30-2007, 07:44 PM
Juwan Simpson I really like. He played really well when Ryans was there, and fell a bit this year in productivity. He was another one of hte guys I was suprised wasn't drafted.

Farley Face
04-30-2007, 07:54 PM
Juwan Simpson I really like. He played really well when Ryans was there, and fell a bit this year in productivity. He was another one of hte guys I was suprised wasn't drafted.

He has character issues, same with Rory Johnson. Both have issues with weed I guess. I don't mind gambling on hoping a guy cleans up when you aren't burning picks on them, so hopefully they both will wake up and push for a spot.

BallHawk
04-30-2007, 07:58 PM

He has character issues, same with Rory Johnson. Both have issues with weed I guess. I don't mind gambling on hoping a guy cleans up when you aren't burning picks on them, so hopefully they both will wake up and push for a spot.

Well, there aren't many places to gamble in Green Bay, except....Dear God.....

Michelle's House! :shock:

Farley Face
04-30-2007, 08:01 PM

Technically you just need one of these undrafted free agents to make a big splash this year and you can lose the sig Bretsky. I'm rooted for you 8-)

Farley Face
04-30-2007, 08:02 PM

Technically you just need one of these undrafted free agents to make a big splash this year and you can lose the sig Bretsky. I'm rooted for you 8-)

rooting that is.

Bretsky
04-30-2007, 08:09 PM

Ted is completely breaking me; hey, TT SIGNED FREE AGENTS

DO THOSE COUNT ??

MJZiggy
04-30-2007, 08:11 PM

Ted is completely breaking me; hey, TT SIGNED FREE AGENTS

DO THOSE COUNT ??

YES

Joemailman
04-30-2007, 08:33 PM

The sense I was getting also was that Jones was moving up a lot of boards as the draft approached (for whatever reason guys move up boards.) So if you have a 4th or 5th round guy with upward momentum, seeing him in the middle of the third isn't at all weird.

Sporting News had Jones at #82 overall on their Board. TT took him at #78. In their mock draft, Sporting News had him going in the 6th round, so they apparently thought he would be overlooked by teams. TT obviously felt he would not last until the 4th round. I wonder how many people who don't like the Jones pick didn't like the Jennings pick last year.

Joemailman
04-30-2007, 08:42 PM

Rory Johnson
OLB, Mississippi

War Room analysis
Strengths: Is smooth and athletic. Bends knees and maintains good balance to break down and make open-field tackles. Shows the instincts to sniff out plays quickly. Shows the agility, athleticism and speed to cover tight ends all over the field -- even down the seam. When aggressive, shows the hands and strength to take on blockers, shed them and make tackles. Does a good job of attacking backside holes on short-yardage plays. Makes plays in the backfield.

Weaknesses: Is a major character risk because of a history of drug use, bad grades and questionable work ethic. Played only one year at Ole Miss after transferring from junior college. Rarely is aggressive, allowing too many blockers to come to him. Is an upright, catch tackler. Rarely makes an impact play.

Bottom line: Johnson has Day 1 talent but has too many on- and off-field issues to consider that early. He figures to shine during pre-draft workouts. Johnson has the talent to be a solid starter at weakside linebacker, but his lack of consistency and aggressiveness suggest he never will fulfill his NFL potential.

Sporting News had him rated higher than 9 OLB's who got drafted. This guy has talent, if he ever gets his head straightened out.

esoxx
04-30-2007, 08:53 PM

Sporting News had Jones at #82 overall on their Board. TT took him at #78. In their mock draft, Sporting News had him going in the 6th round, so they apparently thought he would be overlooked by teams. TT obviously felt he would not last until the 4th round. I wonder how many people who don't like the Jones pick didn't like the Jennings pick last year.

I liked the Jennings pick last year. I'm not blinded by WHO makes the pick, I could care less.

BallHawk
04-30-2007, 09:10 PM
I wonder how many people who don't like the Jones pick didn't like the Jennings pick last year.

Probably the same group. Small school, never heard of him, not SEC or Big 10, too slow and all that bullshit... :roll:

esoxx
04-30-2007, 11:00 PM
Yeah, probably... :roll:

HarveyWallbangers
04-30-2007, 11:33 PM
Johnson set to tackle challenge
Character issues dog free agent linebacker
By BOB McGINN

Green Bay - If 2007 is to be remembered as the draft for character in the National Football League, linebacker Rory Johnson will go down as one of the big losers.

Thirty-two linebackers were selected in the seven rounds but only seven had a faster 40-yard dash time than Johnson. With a 4.58-second clocking and a 38-inch vertical jump, he stood out athletically from most of the crowd.

But when the 18-hour 5-minute draft ground to a halt late Sunday afternoon, Johnson was without a job. However, he wasn't caught by surprise.

On Monday, Johnson admitted that he failed one test for marijuana during his two years at Hinds College, a two-year school in Mississippi. He also admitted that he failed one test for marijuana during his only season at the University of Mississippi.

"It was a long, wasted weekend," Johnson said. "I knew I'd probably be a later round but I didn't think I was going to be a free agent."

The Green Bay Packers and Detroit Lions were the only teams to express interest in Johnson after the draft. He took a two-year deal from the Packers that contained a $2,500 signing bonus.

"We just felt like it was OK to take a chance as a free agent," general manager Ted Thompson said. "We just feel like the risk there is OK."

Johnson, a third-year junior, said he no longer used marijuana.

"Yeah, I stopped," he said. "I have no choice if I want to do what I love doing. I believe it was just a learning step."

Johnson, who turned 21 last month, said he was aware that as long as he remained in the NFL he would be subjected to random drug testing. If Johnson runs afoul of the substance-abuse policy, the Packers would have egg on their face for signing him and Johnson's career would be finished.

"I'm just happy and thankful that they did give me a chance," said Johnson, whose only tie to Green Bay is assistant special teams coach Shawn Slocum, the Rebels' linebackers coach in 2005. "For him to even give me a shot like this, I'm just very grateful for it."

Johnson, 6 feet and 240 pounds, played two seasons in junior college but wasn't enrolled at Ole Miss until last August. He started seven of 12 games on the weak side next to middle linebacker Patrick Willis, the 11th pick in the draft. He also put his hand down as an end on passing downs.

In good-natured fashion, Johnson wouldn't concede that Willis was a better player than him. And he expressed confidence that he would make the Packers' 53-man roster.

"I'm aggressive, hard-nosed and love going to the ball," he said. "I just play hard. I like earning my stuff better than it getting handed to me."

Johnson finished with 94 tackles (three for loss), one-half sack and five turnover plays. At the combine, he scored 18 on the Wonderlic intelligence test.

Clearly, Johnson is the most recognized player among the seven undrafted free agents known to have agreed to terms with the Packers. Thompson expects to sign eight or nine.

"We didn't intend to but somehow we got 11 picks this time," Thompson said. "That cuts down on the free agency thing. If you draft seven, naturally there would be more."

From the early contingent, guard Pat Murray of Truman State (6-3, 315) got an $8,000 signing bonus, linebacker Juwan Simpson of Alabama (6-2½, 227) received a $2,500 signing bonus and quarterback Jerry Babb of Louisiana-Lafayette (6-2½, 225) got $2,000.

Simpson started 32 games from 2003-'06 and finished with 243 tackles (18 for loss), four sacks and three interceptions. He pleaded guilty in '06 to a charge of handgun possession without a license and agreed to enter a court-based drug treatment program to resolve a possession of marijuana charge. A charge of receiving stolen property was dropped.

He runs the 40 in 4.56 and has a Wonderlic score of 27.

Babb, a four-year starter, completed 583 of 1,027 passes (56.8%) for 6,241 yards, 30 touchdowns and 38 interceptions. His NFL passer rating would have been 69.0.

The most recent signings were defensive lineman Daniel Muir of Kent State ($15,000 signing bonus), defensive end Larry Birdine of Oklahoma (bonus undisclosed) and fullback Ryan Powdrell of Southern California ($15,000 signing bonus).

Muir (6-2, 307) was a four-year starter at end and tackle. He runs 4.89, bench-pressed 225 pounds a whopping 37 times and had 15 sacks. He also had offers from Indianapolis and Washington. He said the Packers planned to use him at both positions.

"Green Bay showed the most interest," said Muir, who visited the Packers before the draft. "You can tell they really did their homework. I thought I had the best opportunity to make the team there."

Birdine (6-3, 265) played off the bench in 2003 and '04, sat out all but one game in '05 with a torn biceps and started 13 games in '06. His sack total was 14. He also had offers from New Orleans and the Jets.

"Justin Harrell and I were roommates at the combine and each of us tore our left biceps," Birdine said. "I kind of figured Green Bay was a great place to be. (Packers scout) Alonzo Highsmith and I had a great relationship over the years."

Powdrell (5-11, 255) caught four passes for 72 yards in the first two games as the Trojans' starting fullback before suffering a dislocated and fractured ankle. He sat out the season but was healthy at his pro day, when he ran 4.8 and bench-pressed 22 times.

"It came down to Tampa Bay and Green Bay," said Powdrell, who also had about five other offers. "I went to Green Bay because of their fullback situation and I really liked Edgar Bennett. He called me all day long (Sunday)."

After two junior-college seasons, Powdrell backed up at linebacker in 2004 and '05 before moving to fullback last spring.

Rastak
05-01-2007, 08:05 AM
So why the heck is a guy like this undrafted?

Mozes goes undrafted, signs with Minnesota

More on Mozes! http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2007/mozes_dan

OVERVIEW
A former offensive guard, Mozes' move to center in the third game of the 2005 season coincided with the team's offense suddenly springing to life. The Mountaineers ranked 50th in the nation in total offense (388.92 ypg.) during his senior year, but finished fifth nationally in that category (461.38 ypg.) in 2006.

His dominance creating holes for the running attack saw WVU rank second in the nation with an average of 303.0 yards per game during his final season. The team also improved its scoring, averaging 38.85 points per game (third in the nation), compared to 31.08 points per game (31st nationally) from the previous year.

The four-year starter was regarded as the best center in college football in 2006, winning the Rimington Award. In doing so, he became the first Mountaineer since postseason honors were handed out in 1916 to win a national award. Mozes added more trophies to his mantle piece, as he and tailback Steve Slaton became the school's first tandem to earn consensus All-American first-team honors in the same season.

Mozes was also a finalist for the Outland Trophy and a semifinalist for the Lombardi Award as a senior. Awards are nothing new to this talented center, as he was a freshman All-American his first year at the school, a three-time All-Big East Conference choice, adding conference academic accolades four times, and was a second-team All-American as a junior.

Mozes was the team captain and three-time small school all-state selection at Washington High. He added All-Interstate Conference honors three times and was named Washington Observer-Reporter Defensive Player of the Year, recording 10½ sacks and 95 tackles as a senior, showing no ill effects from right shoulder surgery after his junior year and left shoulder surgery after his sophomore campaign.

run pMc
05-01-2007, 08:40 AM
Rastak,
that's a good question. My guess is it has to do with the negatives, namely:

Has had a history of shoulder and hip problems that might need further medical evaluation

I wonder if he didn't pass some teams' medical evaluations. He might also a little on the small side at 6'2" and 293 (with short arms) for a lot of teams. I suspect that caused him to have a lot of trouble with bull rushers:

struggled to contain pressure at Senior Bowl practices

Sounds like a Pat Williams would eat him alive, but he also sounds like he has enough potential and experience to make him worth a late round pick.

Freak Out
05-01-2007, 07:59 PM
Has that WR from Hampton or New Hampshire I think....? David Ball been signed?

bigcoz75
05-01-2007, 08:13 PM
Has that WR from Hampton or New Hampshire I think....? David Ball been signed? yep by Chicago

Freak Out
05-01-2007, 08:28 PM
Has that WR from Hampton or New Hampshire I think....? David Ball been signed? yep by Chicago

Shit! I thought we should have signed the guy.

b bulldog
05-01-2007, 09:33 PM
powdrell,Simpson and Johnson are very interesting to me

Joemailman
05-03-2007, 09:06 PM
Simpson was rated #80 overall, #6 among OLB's by Sporting News. Amazing someone didn't risk a 7th round pick on him.

Juwan Simpson
OLB, Alabama

War Room analysis
Strengths: Is a good athlete with the quickness and speed to chase down plays sideline-to-sideline. When blitzing, shows a good burst off the snap and great closing burst. Is smooth dropping into the flat in zone coverage. Reads and reacts quickly to screen passes. Is great covering tight ends man-to-man, even downfield. Is strong enough to stand up fullbacks in the hole, shed the block and make the tackle. Is smart, and consistently carries out assignments. Reads plays quickly, and does not make mental errors. Will lower shoulder and take on low blocks.

Weaknesses: Is thin, and must improve lower-body strength. Struggles to defeat offensive linemen, and is ridden out of the play too easily. Does not consistently bend knees to tackle with leverage; is sometimes dragged for extra yardage. Is not always aggressive at the point of attack. Has some durability issues. Was not nearly as productive as a senior, and might struggle to reach his potential.

Bottom line: Simpson was a pleasant surprise as a junior but a big disappointment as a senior. Still, he is versatile and has the athletic ability to make plays in all facets of the game. Simpson has the physical tools to become a good NFL weakside linebacker. He can stay on the field all three downs. He also should be productive on special teams.

Rastak
05-06-2007, 10:37 AM
From Gosselin of the Dallas Morning News:

ROUND 8
There were 255 players selected in the 2007 NFL draft. But there were some good ones left over. Rick Gosselin had West Virginia center Dan Mozes as a fourth-round value on his draft board. He went undrafted and signed as a college free agent with Minnesota. The Vikings also signed Texas Tech's Alex Reyes, the highest-rated punter on Gosselin's draft board who went undrafted. Here are the highest-rated players on Gosselin's draft board at each position who went undrafted and where they signed as free agents:

Pos. Player NFL team
QB Tyler Palko New Orleans Saints
HB Darius Walker Chicago Bears
FB Gijon Robinson Indianapolis Colts
WR Rhema McKnight New Orleans Saints
TE Daniel Coats Cincinnati Bengals
OT Renardo Foster Atlanta Falcons
G Nathan Bennett Carolina Panthers
C Dan Mozes Minnesota Vikings
DE Xzavie Jackson Cincinnati Bengals
DT David Patterson Atlanta Falcons
OLB Nick Roach San Diego Chargers
MLB Jon Abbate Houston Texans
CB Anthony Arline San Diego Chargers
S Melvin Bullitt Indianapolis Colts
K Kenny Byrd Detroit Lions
P Alex Reyes Minnesota Vikings
KR Selvin Young Denver Broncos

mngolf19
05-06-2007, 11:12 AM
From Gosselin of the Dallas Morning News:

ROUND 8
There were 255 players selected in the 2007 NFL draft. But there were some good ones left over. Rick Gosselin had West Virginia center Dan Mozes as a fourth-round value on his draft board. He went undrafted and signed as a college free agent with Minnesota. The Vikings also signed Texas Tech's Alex Reyes, the highest-rated punter on Gosselin's draft board who went undrafted. Here are the highest-rated players on Gosselin's draft board at each position who went undrafted and where they signed as free agents:

Pos. Player NFL team
QB Tyler Palko New Orleans Saints
HB Darius Walker Chicago Bears
FB Gijon Robinson Indianapolis Colts
WR Rhema McKnight New Orleans Saints
TE Daniel Coats Cincinnati Bengals
OT Renardo Foster Atlanta Falcons
G Nathan Bennett Carolina Panthers
C Dan Mozes Minnesota Vikings
DE Xzavie Jackson Cincinnati Bengals
DT David Patterson Atlanta Falcons
OLB Nick Roach San Diego Chargers
MLB Jon Abbate Houston Texans
CB Anthony Arline San Diego Chargers
S Melvin Bullitt Indianapolis Colts
K Kenny Byrd Detroit Lions
P Alex Reyes Minnesota Vikings
KR Selvin Young Denver Broncos

I'm very happy with the number and quality of the street guys MN has brought in.

HarveyWallbangers
05-06-2007, 11:22 AM
I like our street FAs, as well. There's a history here of finding meaningful street FAs.

mngolf19
05-06-2007, 11:31 AM
I like our street FAs, as well. There's a history here of finding meaningful street FAs.

I haven't been paying attn Harv. How many did the Pack bring in?

Rastak
05-06-2007, 11:36 AM

Yea, both Minnesota and Green Bay seem to place a great deal of value on these undrafted guys....and that makes sense since the draft is down to 7 rounds these days.

mngolf19
05-06-2007, 11:43 AM

Yea, both Minnesota and Green Bay seem to place a great deal of value on these undrafted guys....and that makes sense since the draft is down to 7 rounds these days.

I expect a good org to use all methods for bringing in better talent. FA, draft, and unsigned prospects. Makes no sense to disregard any path to improvement.

HarveyWallbangers
05-06-2007, 11:46 AM

I haven't been paying attn Harv. How many did the Pack bring in?

Not sure on how many they brought in, but 3 or 4 really sound intriguing. The two LBs were thought to be midround picks, but were considered character risks. Those are guys to take a chance on in UDAs--since you don't have to risk a draft pick on them.