PDA

View Full Version : My thoughts on the draft

Partial
04-29-2007, 09:31 PM
Do 3rd+ round picks really look very good ever? I guess they look alright if your team lands someone you know or have seen them make a play, but that isn't always how it works.

This wasn't a very good draft. Period. Not just for TT, but for everyone. It was very top heavy. I know people were insisting that this draft had a lot of depth; I completely disagree. In fact, I have never heard one person who does this for a living make any sort of claim to that. I've heard the contrary many, many times though.

TT should have traded up in the second. That was a poor move on his part. He could have still gotten Jackson in the third and we would have been given a red zone target.

Arm chair quarterbacks are rarely correct. See Ernest Shazor and TE Delaware. If teams thought so highly of these players, they wouldn't have gone in the 7th.

TT is eventually going to have to stop trying to land 20 guys and start landing some first day guys instead.

TT didn't draft a single sexy player. By sexy, I mean a big name. We'll see what happens with these guys. Some could turn into great players.

I don't expect huge things from this draft simply because the talent pool from start to finish wasn't great. That isn't TTs fault or anyone. If you look at the players other teams picked, I wouldn't say too many teams had impressive hauls after the 2nd round.

Of course, it just so happens that our division was loaded with bad teams. They didn't draft better, they drafted higher and thus had shots we did not at the blue chip players. That is the reason they pick in order of worst to best.

packers11
04-29-2007, 09:33 PM
I agree that T.T. next year has to trade up and try to land a big player or just take quality players, not quantity...

O wait nevermind the packers will be #1 anyway... :lol: (joking... knocking on wood)...

Charles Woodson
04-29-2007, 09:38 PM
I dont think that that draft was horrible, i basically say give this draft at least a year then call for TT's head but lets be honest, first of all, by saying this wasnt a good draft doesnt do anything, personally the vikings had amazing 1st day picks, dono bout 2nd day, Oakland came away with a lot of big namers. But yea i think that this draft could turn out pretty good if clowney, jackson, harrell and rouse end up doing something

Partial
04-29-2007, 09:39 PM
I agree that T.T. next year has to trade up and try to land a big player or just take quality players, not quantity...

O wait nevermind the packers will be #1 anyway... :lol: (joking... knocking on wood)...

No, I don't think he has to trade to the top. I am not saying that at all. I think it was Ted's responsibility to say OK, this draft is not deep and at about the start of the third round the talent is going to drop WAY OFF. That's when you throw the chart out, realizing that drafting one good, solid player in the 2nd is better than adding a 2nd and 3rd that are only adequate and linger around for a few years before getting replaced.

He should have recognized the teams glaring need for a big target. With the Moss trade obviously falling through by that point, he should have realized it may have taken a few picks out of their total amount, but that adding a player they rated highly on their board would have a bigger impact than adding two marginal players later on.

Man, Jarrett or Rice would make this draft look 10x better.

Partial
04-29-2007, 09:41 PM
I dont think that that draft was horrible, i basically say give this draft at least a year then call for TT's head but lets be honest, first of all, by saying this wasnt a good draft doesnt do anything, personally the vikings had amazing 1st day picks, dono bout 2nd day, Oakland came away with a lot of big namers. But yea i think that this draft could turn out pretty good if clowney, jackson, harrell and rouse end up doing something

Oakland had the first pick. No shit their draft is going to look good when they add an AAA prospect. Same with Detroit. The draft was not at all deep. Conviently, those teams took names you had recognized. I would say that if you were a college football fan living in a different part of the country, this draft could look very different. It's all about what players you know and recognize. I hardly recognize any of TTs picks.

To those who criticize TT for not filling a need with a pick, why did the Vikings select a great RB prospect when they could have added Quinn, when they already have Chester Taylor?!?

BallHawk
04-29-2007, 09:44 PM
The Packers, without a doubt, have the least "sexy" draft of any team. There aren't any big names or superstar college players, but we got guys who play hard, work hard, and should ultimately become a very solid base for this orginzation. I could see 8 players from this draft making the team this year and 4 of those guys making a significant contribution in the future.

Lurker64
04-29-2007, 09:44 PM

It's less important how this draft looks now, and more important how this draft looks on the field. I was never particularly high on Rice or Jarrett, and I suspect people's desire for them is largely motivated by the fact that those are guys we've heard of. Unfortunately, neither of them are in any way "can't miss" kind of guys and "having heard of them on draft day" is no guarantee that a guy will actually do something in the NFL.

Partial
04-29-2007, 09:47 PM

It's less important how this draft looks now, and more important how this draft looks on the field. I was never particularly high on Rice or Jarrett, and I suspect people's desire for them is largely motivated by the fact that those are guys we've heard of. Unfortunately, neither of them are in any way "can't miss" kind of guys and "having heard of them on draft day" is no guarantee that a guy will actually do something in the NFL.

My motivation is that they are tall and have long arms, and produced during big games. I really like Jarrett. If you recall, for awhile I thought he'd be better than Johnson. The kid is a great receiver.

Partial
04-29-2007, 09:49 PM
The Packers, without a doubt, have the least "sexy" draft of any team. There aren't any big names or superstar college players, but we got guys who play hard, work hard, and should ultimately become a very solid base for this orginzation. I could see 8 players from this draft making the team this year and 4 of those guys making a significant contribution in the future.

Most second day picks aren't sexy. TT's past two drafts have indicated to me he likes smaller conference players.

I think we'd be better off with Harnell, Jarrett, Jackson than we would have been with all those trading down. Remember, you can find decent starters anywhere. You need people that are going to score touchdowns. Most of these second day players will become just another guy in the league.

RashanGary
04-29-2007, 09:50 PM
Pretty solid take Partial.

I'll argue this though;

You don't really know what you have untill you line them up with NFL talent. If you take more picks, you can afford to shed 3 or 4 and still come away with 6 or 7 contributors and maybe 3 or 4 starters in each draft.

I don't like to say crapshoot because I believe good scouts make a big difference but I think there is a strong uncertainty drafting that is unavoidable and because of that; you really don't knwo untill you line them up. Like I said, there is skill to talent evaluation but I think you can win in the long run more often by getting more guys in to see how they play with your guys.

BallHawk
04-29-2007, 09:52 PM
Remember, you can find decent starters anywhere.

Tell that to Art Shell and Al Davis.

Partial
04-29-2007, 09:55 PM
Remember, you can find decent starters anywhere.

Tell that to Art Shell and Al Davis.

They have tons of guys on their roster. They don't have any studs. That is the problem. We could have gotten Jarrett who I think has a better chance to be a stud than any of the 3rd round or later picks combined. As a GM, you cannot be afraid to make a mistake and I think TT is avoiding making a mistake through strength in numbers.

In reality, he'll never be fired on his basis for refusing to trade up. If he did move up and it didn't pan out, that could cost him his job.

Partial
04-29-2007, 09:57 PM

I'll argue this though;

You don't really know what you have untill you line them up with NFL talent. If you take more picks, you can afford to shed 3 or 4 and still come away with 6 or 7 contributors and maybe 3 or 4 starters in each draft.

I don't like to say crapshoot because I believe good scouts make a big difference but I think there is a strong uncertainty drafting that is unavoidable and because of that; you really don't knwo untill you line them up. Like I said, there is skill to talent evaluation but I think you can win in the long run more often by getting more guys in to see how they play with your guys.

I agree its a crapshoot. Especially after the second round. I will say this though.

Jarrett was rated as a first rounder on his board. If it costs him a 2nd, third and fourth to get him (even if he loses draft board value on it), wouldn't it be better to take a shot on a guy you think could really turn out to be a great player rather than moving down and adding guys who you think less of? Depth is good and all, but you can pick up average players anytime anywhere. You've gotta take those shots at one of those receivers.

packinpatland
04-29-2007, 09:57 PM
Well said........ everyone.
When I look at the real play makers the Packers have on the roster, most were not drafted early. Most were not 'big name' picks. Maybe, just maybe we'll be ok.

Bretsky
04-29-2007, 09:58 PM

No, I don't think he has to trade to the top. I am not saying that at all. I think it was Ted's responsibility to say OK, this draft is not deep and at about the start of the third round the talent is going to drop WAY OFF. That's when you throw the chart out, realizing that drafting one good, solid player in the 2nd is better than adding a 2nd and 3rd that are only adequate and linger around for a few years before getting replaced.

He should have recognized the teams glaring need for a big target. With the Moss trade obviously falling through by that point, he should have realized it may have taken a few picks out of their total amount, but that adding a player they rated highly on their board would have a bigger impact than adding two marginal players later on.

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Deputy Nutz
04-29-2007, 10:00 PM

Actually no, the least sexiest draft has to be the Arizona Cardinals. I usually don't say anything to horrible the day after the draft about a team's selections, but they really didn't do anything to knock anyone's socks off.

My take on this draft, Thompson apparently doesn't sway on his board, I got that much out of this draft. The Packers needed a sure fire second tight end on the roster and that position was seemingly ignored until the Packers last pick. Apparently there were other players that had more value to the Packers organization. I was least than pleased with the Packers 6th round, I for the life of me don't realize why the Packers decided on two linebackers, one apparently drafted to play fullback, and a kicker. I guess they got good value on the kicker, but I really didn't think they needed a kicker. Well what can I say when the board speaks, the board speaks, and thats the bottom line because Ted Thompson says so.

Partial
04-29-2007, 10:03 PM
Well said........ everyone.
When I look at the real play makers the Packers have on the roster, most were not drafted early. Most were not 'big name' picks. Maybe, just maybe we'll be ok.

Just for the sake of pointing it out, I will say that maybe that is a reason the Packers are not very good :P :lol:

Partial
04-29-2007, 10:06 PM

Actually no, the least sexiest draft has to be the Arizona Cardinals. I usually don't say anything to horrible the day after the draft about a team's selections, but they really didn't do anything to knock anyone's socks off.

My take on this draft, Thompson apparently doesn't sway on his board, I got that much out of this draft. The Packers needed a sure fire second tight end on the roster and that position was seemingly ignored until the Packers last pick. Apparently there were other players that had more value to the Packers organization. I was least than pleased with the Packers 6th round, I for the life of me don't realize why the Packers decided on two linebackers, one apparently drafted to play fullback, and a kicker. I guess they got good value on the kicker, but I really didn't think they needed a kicker. Well what can I say when the board speaks, the board speaks, and thats the bottom line because Ted Thompson says so.

I think that 2nd ILB/Fullback will be primarily a second or "third" fullback but primarily a special teams guy. My guess is he'll be listed as the second fullback but when they need to go to that position in a game, I would think one of the TEs will fill in.

HarveyWallbangers
04-29-2007, 10:09 PM
I agree that the Hall, Bishop, and Wynn picks didn't excite me. Looked like they were looking special teams and roster flexibility. I'm willing to give Hall a chance. Sounds like an absolute demon on special teams, and could provide the roster flexibility. I was impressed with Bishop's video, but there's no way he fits this defense. His video looked almost identical to Hodge, and I have a bad feeling that Hodge is just too slow for this defense. Don't like Wynn much. I did like the Crosby pick, the TE in the last round, and most of the top picks (with the exception of probably James Jones).

Partial
04-29-2007, 10:10 PM
I agree that the Hall, Bishop, and Wynn picks didn't excite me. Looked like they were looking special teams and roster flexibility. I'm willing to give Hall a chance. Sounds like an absolute demon on special teams, and could provide the roster flexibility. I was impressed with Bishop's video, but there's no way he fits this defense. His video looked almost identical to Hodge, and I have a bad feeling that Hodge is just too slow for this defense. Don't like Wynn much. I did like the Crosby pick, the TE in the last round, and most of the top picks (with the exception of probably James Jones).

What do you think of the left tackle? Clifton's replacement in the future?

Lurker64
04-29-2007, 10:13 PM

The most exciting thing about Barbre is that he was one of the gunners on the punt team in college, at 300 lbs. So I think he's quick enough for the ZBS.

HarveyWallbangers
04-29-2007, 10:13 PM
Like him a lot. I had him rated as my #5 at OG after my research. (With his height, I was projecting him at OG.) Great athlete, mean, can play four OL positions, they say he has the frame to put on 15 pounds without giving up speed.

HarveyWallbangers
04-29-2007, 10:14 PM
Barbre is one of the very best OL athletes in the draft. He ran 4.88 with a 32" vertical.

Partial
04-29-2007, 10:23 PM

The most exciting thing about Barbre is that he was one of the gunners on the punt team in college, at 300 lbs. So I think he's quick enough for the ZBS.

That is absolutely ridiculous. I love that.

Partial
04-29-2007, 10:53 PM
TT should try and model himself more after Phil Savage. The man has continually done what it takes (including giving up a #1 and #2) to get Quinn this year. He is a great drafter(the mastermind behind Baltimore). The thing that stands out to him is he maximizes the first day picks, while going for volume and having the same type of TT approach on day 2.

Kyle Boller didn't work out the way he had hoped. But, at least he made a move and tried something. In the end, it didn't hurt them that much.

I just feel like TT relies on strength in numbers to make him look good rather than trying to make a move and possibly failing.

Even if Jarrett or Rice would have been a bust, so what? So he gave up a third to draft a bust in the second? It happens all the time. Teams recover from this. The time when you cannot bust and take a chance is top 5. The salaries are too high and the ramifications last for years.

But to be too scared to make a move in the second in unacceptable, especially when the guy could have made this team much better at its weakest point (from goal-line to 20 on both ends of the field).

Joemailman
04-29-2007, 11:05 PM
My thoughts on this draft:

I think one reason Thompson is being criticized for not addressing needs with this draft is because the perception most people have of the Packer needs are not the same as Thompson's. I think he really believes he has players on this team from the previous 2 drafts who are ready to assume a more significant role than they have thus far. I suspect the only 2007 draftees who he expects to fill a real significant role are Harrell and Jackson. The rest of the guys will be expected to fill an occasional role, and contribute to special teams. It won't be like last year where there were 4-5 rookies starting every game.

The real improvement on this team will come from guys like Poppinga, Underwood, Hawk, Colledge, Spitz, Jennings, and Collins, not Jones, Rouse, Clowney, etc.

Partial
04-29-2007, 11:07 PM

I think one reason Thompson is being criticized for not addressing needs with this draft is because the perception most people have of the Packer needs are not the same as Thompson's. I think he really believes he has players on this team from the previous 2 drafts who are ready to assume a more significant role than they have thus far. I suspect the only 2007 draftees who he expects to fill a real significant role are Harrell and Jackson. The rest of the guys will be expected to fill an occasional role, and contribute to special teams. It won't be like last year where there were 4-5 rookies starting every game.

The real improvement on this team will come from guys like Poppinga, Underwood, Hawk, Colledge, Spitz, Jennings, and Collins, not Jones, Rouse, Clowney, etc.

I don't know about that. I'd say the people who are upset are primarily upset about the refusal to trade up in the second to get one of the two receivers. I am quite satisfied with the rest of the picks as my analysis should show. He could have had what I would consider a great draft had he added a red zone threat in the second.

HarveyWallbangers
04-29-2007, 11:19 PM
I don't know about that. I'd say the people who are upset are primarily upset about the refusal to trade up in the second to get one of the two receivers. I am quite satisfied with the rest of the picks as my analysis should show. He could have had what I would consider a great draft had he added a red zone threat in the second.

I don't know about that. That was a secondary thought by a few. Most are upset that Harrell got picked round 1 and the Moss deal fell through.

Bretsky
04-29-2007, 11:38 PM

I don't know about that. That was a secondary thought by a few. Most are upset that Harrell got picked round 1 and the Moss deal fell through.

I'd be fine with Harrell if we'd have landed a top tier WR from this draft like Jarrett or Rice in round two. We only had to go up about six picks. Or I suppose Moss, but that was a pipe dream.

Joemailman
04-29-2007, 11:43 PM
Time will tell if Jarrett and Rice will be better than Jones. The WR position has been filled with high profile busts in recent years. TT has shown a pretty good eye for receivers the last 2 years with Murphy and Jennings.

SudsMcBucky
04-30-2007, 11:20 AM
I had him rated as my #5 at OG after my research. (With his height, I was projecting him at OG.)

That's exactly what I thought when I read about him. Sounds like a guard prospect more than a tackle.

Sparkey
04-30-2007, 11:35 AM

I'll argue this though;

I agree its a crapshoot. Especially after the second round. I will say this though.

Jarrett was rated as a first rounder on his board. If it costs him a 2nd, third and fourth to get him (even if he loses draft board value on it), wouldn't it be better to take a shot on a guy you think could really turn out to be a great player rather than moving down and adding guys who you think less of? Depth is good and all, but you can pick up average players anytime anywhere. You've gotta take those shots at one of those receivers.

The problem with that is the Green Bay's depth is still not that good and it reflects in their special teams play. Look at the guys that TT drafted. Nearly all of them are considered above average or better special teamers.

Better ST play means being able to win the field position battle more often than not, which translates into wins.

Cheesehead Craig
04-30-2007, 11:38 AM
The problem with that is the Green Bay's depth is still not that good and it reflects in their special teams play. Look at the guys that TT drafted. Nearly all of them are considered above average or better special teamers.

Better ST play means being able to win the field position battle more often than not, which translates into wins.
That's an interesting way to find the silver lining Sparkey. Good work.

woodbuck27
04-30-2007, 02:41 PM

Partial:

You are bang on !!

woodbuck27
04-30-2007, 02:54 PM

Ted Thompson blew it in the first two rounds.

We suspected here that he wasn't all that impresssed with the depth in this draft. If that was 'in fact' the case?

Why given the dire need on OUR team for help on offence go DL at No.16 and trade down from No. 47 to No. 63 in the second for anothe 6th???

That makes no sense in a weak draft depth wise. Anyone who defends that is seriously 'enamoured' with Ted Thompson. :)

I don't give a DAM what TT's board was in the first round.

We didn't have to be stuck with an injury prone DT (our last area of need), when there were capable people available to help us in 2007 on the 'O'.

There can't be a Packer fan in the world that would have predicted that pick at 16.

Peter King on OUR first round pick:

'' PICK I LIKED THE LEAST: Justin Harrell, No. 16, by Green Bay. Receiver, Green Bay. You need a receiver. Or two. Hope there's one you like left in round two. Or Randy Moss.''

HarveyWallbangers
04-30-2007, 03:03 PM
Nobody knows at this point which teams blew it or not. We all have a gut feeling, but to state it as fact is assinine. If Harrell turns into Kevin Williams, John Henderson, or Marcus Stroud, then Thompson will have been right in choosing him. If he's a bust, then he made the wrong choice. If he's solid, then we'll see how Rice, Meachem, and the others do to judge whether he screwed up or not. There likely will be at least one player drafted behind him who will do better, but let's get your pick in electronic form.

Who did you want Thompson to pick at #16 that was a possibility for him to take? Don't include trades--because nobody knows what he could have gotten or if that was even feasible.

Olsen? Bowe? Meachem? Rice? Jarrett? Quinn? No Bowe OR Meachem. Name one. Let's see whom everbody wanted.

I wanted Meachem, but I'm not going to state as fact that Harrell was the wrong choice at this point.

Lurker64
04-30-2007, 03:04 PM
Why given the dire need on OUR team for help on offence go DL at No.16 and trade down from No. 47 to No. 63 in the second for anothe 6th???

Because you can make it to (and in fact win) the Superbowl with a mediocre offense and a top flight defense (Buccanneers, Ravens, Bears), and secondly because the guy that Thompson wanted to pick at his spot in the 2nd was either gone, or he expected him to be there at the end of the round.

Also, who said that Thompson thought the depth in this draft was weak? I've never heard anything like that out of Ted's mouth.

wist43
04-30-2007, 04:01 PM
I like Barbre... gunner on kick coverage??? Maybe we can get him to stretch the field at WR???

Bretsky
04-30-2007, 05:26 PM

Partial:

You are bang on !!

:worship:

Bretsky
04-30-2007, 05:28 PM
Nobody knows at this point which teams blew it or not. We all have a gut feeling, but to state it as fact is assinine. If Harrell turns into Kevin Williams, John Henderson, or Marcus Stroud, then Thompson will have been right in choosing him. If he's a bust, then he made the wrong choice. If he's solid, then we'll see how Rice, Meachem, and the others do to judge whether he screwed up or not. There likely will be at least one player drafted behind him who will do better, but let's get your pick in electronic form.

Who did you want Thompson to pick at #16 that was a possibility for him to take? Don't include trades--because nobody knows what he could have gotten or if that was even feasible.

Olsen? Bowe? Meachem? Rice? Jarrett? Quinn? No Bowe OR Meachem. Name one. Let's see whom everbody wanted.

I wanted Meachem, but I'm not going to state as fact that Harrell was the wrong choice at this point.

I want the Denver trade for exactly what Jacksonville received. They picked right behind us so IMO that is feasible. Then I'd take the best WR on the board, which was Meachem

The Shadow
04-30-2007, 05:43 PM
I would have to wait and see how the picks pan out.
Sexy? Don't care a whit.
Just because a hyper-pomaded talking head (or a few of our hysterical brethen ALWAYS upset with Thompson)does not have a player on his personal 'expert' list is no reason to assume that player is a dud.
How in the world can you judge this draft before a single player has suited up in Green & Gold?

3irty1
04-30-2007, 05:51 PM

Although I agree with this it would have been nice to see him draft a decent WR, someone who could contribute immediately. Not that Jones or Clowney won't but It sure seems like the guys drafted just ahead of him like Jarrett and Rice were much more highly regarded. Jones scored a 9 on the wonderlick so I doubt he'll be a quick learner. I just hope they can get him to run toward the right endzone. It's a strong message from TT though. He clearly wanted his stock in Jones over Jarrett and Rice. I for one am going to remember TT's move here and will pray for some good things from Jones for TT's sake.

RashanGary
04-30-2007, 05:59 PM
I would have to wait and see how the picks pan out.
Sexy? Don't care a whit.
Just because a hyper-pomaded talking head (or a few of our hysterical brethen ALWAYS upset with Thompson)does not have a player on his personal 'expert' list is no reason to assume that player is a dud.
How in the world can you judge this draft before a single player has suited up in Green & Gold?

You're an idiot. We know how all of these guys play right now. IT was the worste draft in history. Worste ever.

I'm joking Shadow if you dind't catch it. I think you are completely logical in thinking it takes time to judge a draft.