PDA

View Full Version : Brett upset

Brando19
04-29-2007, 10:37 PM
Found this on PFT...I know it's not a great source, but interesting to read:

It was no secret that Packers quarterback Brett Favre was pushing for the team to add Randy Moss. We had been hearing it for months. As of last week, Favre was certain that Moss was heading to Lambeau Field. ESPN's Chris Mortensen, who likely has Favre's agent Bus Cook on speed dial, has been saying all offseason that Favre has been lobbying for the move.

A source tells us that Favre is not happy with the manner in which the Moss deal went down. But he's not upset with the team; he's miffed, we're told, that Moss turned his back on the Pack by refusing to re-do his deal for anyone other than the Pats.

For weeks, it appeared that Green Bay was the only team interested in Moss. Sure, there had been rumors of New England interest prior to the 2006 trading deadline, but the team's run on receivers in free agency seemingly closed the door on a deal.

As of last week, it appeared to be the Packers or no one. At a time when Randy believed that the Pack were his only option for getting his career back on track, Favre was working to make it happen.

Then came the Pats, like the new girl in school who started batting her eyelashes at the quarterback who already had a date for the homecoming dance. So Moss did an about-face, and the Packers were left holding the bag.

And Favre is the one who went to bat for him. And Moss stuck the bat up Favre's cheese chute.

MJZiggy
04-29-2007, 10:39 PM
They do have a way of phrasing things, don't they?

Brando19
04-29-2007, 10:40 PM
They do have a way of phrasing things, don't they?

LoL...indeed.

Kiwon
04-29-2007, 11:21 PM
Found this on PFT...I know it's not a great source, but interesting to read:

A source tells us that Favre is not happy with the manner in which the Moss deal went down. But he's not upset with the team; he's miffed, we're told, that Moss turned his back on the Pack by refusing to re-do his deal for anyone other than the Pats.

I'm not too keen on the unnamed source bit but if this story is true then isn't it better to see Randy Moss as he is rather than this savior that everyone was projecting him to be?

I'd rather have him stick it to the team before he actually joined the Packers instead of signing a FA contract and then reverting to his jerk ways. Even as a member of the Packers I doubt he'd have any qualms about ticking off a full house at Lambeau if he felt like it.

The guy's bad news and injury-prone. I'm glad he's not a Packer.

LL2
04-30-2007, 07:16 AM
I heard it this morning as well on Mike and Mike that Moss was only willing to re-structure his contract for the Pats. If that's the case he's not worth almost 10 million against the Packers cap. I'd rather see what Clowney and Jones got that pay Moss 9.75 million if that's what it was going to cost us.

packers11
04-30-2007, 07:17 AM
well moss will be a FA next year...

maybe we could get brett to stay... :lol:

MJZiggy
04-30-2007, 07:23 AM
well moss will be a FA next year...

maybe we could get brett to stay... :lol:

Glutton...Careful what you say. That's a rumor that could float a whole season... :shock:

b bulldog
04-30-2007, 07:25 AM
Moss went to where he will have the best chance at a championship. Time to move on.

packinpatland
04-30-2007, 07:47 AM
Reporting, whether it's sports related or not, has gotten to the point that unless you actually hear it and see it, come from the person's mouth, none of it is reliable or believable.

And you are right Bulldog, things are as they are, let's move on.

Training camp starts when??

Iron Mike
04-30-2007, 07:53 AM
Am I the only one thinking that maybe having a pissed-off Brett in 2007 might NOT be such a bad thing? :wink:

Chubbyhubby
04-30-2007, 08:59 AM
Am I the only one thinking that maybe having a pissed-off Brett in 2007 might NOT be such a bad thing? :wink:

Thats true, He could have a very solid year for the Packers. My gut tells me though that he wanted the Packers to reach the playoffs this year and Randy would be a key to that goal. I strongly believe that this is the last year for Favre. Based on the last 2 off-seasons. During the Free agency period the Packers didn't address any offensive addtions. They did get 2 WR 's in the draft however non of them are play makers like Meachum or Bowe they could have gotten in the 1st round. I wouldn't be surprised that he doesn't hang it up at the end of next year.

pbmax
04-30-2007, 09:10 AM
I'm glad he's not here. I'm not sure about the draft picks, but glad Moss isn't here to suck up all the oxygen.

pbmax
04-30-2007, 09:12 AM
And by the way, can we get an apology from every media slag that told us for the last six years that Belicheck and Pioli were doing things a different way? They look pretty Daniel Snyder/Al Davis about now.

Bill must need a contract extension to pay off his ex-wife and his mistress' husband.

MasonCrosby
04-30-2007, 09:17 AM
And by the way, can we get an apology from every media slag that told us for the last six years that Belicheck and Pioli were doing things a different way? They look pretty Daniel Snyder/Al Davis about now.

Bill must need a contract extension to pay off his ex-wife and his mistress' husband.

and replenish his stock of patriots hoodies and apparell for his wardrobe :lol:

packinpatland
04-30-2007, 09:19 AM

:lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mraynrand
04-30-2007, 09:31 AM
TT should feel no shame in losing out to the best Coach/GM tandem in NFL history. And Packer fans need to get a grip. Moss is a talented shit stain and it boggles my mind the number of people who really wanted that slug in a Packer uni. WTF? How low can you sink for a couple of TDs? Next thing you know, the Packers will be signing a multiple DUI jailbird to play WR.

MJZiggy
04-30-2007, 09:34 AM
Next thing you know, the Packers will be signing a multiple DUI jailbird to play WR.

:idea: Great idea!!!

MadtownPacker
04-30-2007, 10:35 AM
Damn, this story makes me sick. As one of the idiots who wanted moss in GB I have to admit I am glad a trade didnt happen if the SOB didnt want to be here.

But I like the highlights of Clowney. Dude looks like a legit deep threat.

Merlin
04-30-2007, 10:46 AM
I wanted Moss here as well. I agree that Moss wants a super bowl more then being a team that's not there yet. At this point in his career, if I were him and you offered me a choice between winning a super bowl and "maybe" making the playoffs, I would choose the super bowl as well. I don't blame him at all for his decision.

FritzDontBlitz
04-30-2007, 11:42 AM
Moss went to where he will have the best chance at a championship. Time to move on.

agreed.

i predict our wr rotation will be dd, k-rob (should the goody man reinstate him), doc holiday, greg jennings and one of the draftees edging out ruvell martin at the final cut. should k-rob be unavailable then keep ruvell.

here's an intriguing thought: imagine the possibilities if m3 convinced ruvell to put on an extra 20-30 lbs. so he could make the roster as one of our three tight ends? being 6'4" he definitely has the height necessary for the position....

fan4life
04-30-2007, 12:23 PM
That story is wrong (according to sources close to Favre.)

TT blew the deal. He tried to string out both Al Davis (by not offering better than a fourth) and lowball Randy Moss. NE swooped in and appeased both parties, leaving TT holding the bag.

Now... you can argue that RM doesn't fit the team, etc.... but I don't buy it. If Randy Moss is good enough for New England, who the he)) are any of you to think that he wouldn't have helped the Packers?

Try to keep a straight face when you tell me that the Jones kid is going to help the Packers now -- or ever -- more than Randy Moss would have.

Favre-to-Moss may not have gotten us to the SB, but it would have gotten us fan and media excitement, expecially as Favre nears smashing Elway's records.

Instead, TT is the laughing stock of the NFL.

Lurker64
04-30-2007, 12:39 PM

Ones you made up or credible ones you can cite?

retailguy
04-30-2007, 01:00 PM

Not that I support the above opinions, but Lurker, I have to add, we had a bunch of "credible" sources regarding the Moss trade, and how many of them were correct?...

Please define "credible" for me....

LL2
04-30-2007, 01:06 PM

Yes, please post this source.

Also, I do not think TT is building this team with Favre in mind (or not in mind). He's building this team based on his "plan", and if Favre happens to fall into the picture then great. I believe TT is trying to build a team that will be good for 5-10 years, and if it takes baby steps to get there then so be it. If we finish 9-7 or 10-6 this year i sure hope TT puts aside his conservative ways a little bit and goes for players that can help put us over the top.

Lurker64
04-30-2007, 01:07 PM
Not that I support the above opinions, but Lurker, I have to add, we had a bunch of "credible" sources regarding the Moss trade, and how many of them were correct?...

Please define "credible" for me....

Mostly my observation is that virtually everything we've heard about the Moss trade from all sources has been completely unsubstantiated. All we hear about is shadowy "sources close to" key figures, while none of the people who are actually in position to know these things do anything but vehemently deny the rumors. Which admittedly is something they might do if they're true, but it's certainly something they'd do if it's false so it's a wash.

I fully expect that at least 95% of everything I've heard about the Moss trade from the initial post of this thread, to the post I was responding to, to stuff on ESPN or NFLN or in a Boston Newspaper was complete hogwash.

The only people who really know what happened or did not happen is Al Davis, Ted Thompson, Scott Pioli, and Randy Moss. Until one of them comes out and says "Yup, that's what happened" I'm not really going to accept "Sources close to..." as a valid source.

We're probably never going to know what went on with Thompson and Davis regarding this trade, since it's professional courtesy to not talk about this sort of thing after the fact. So people biases against Thompson spin it against Thompson, people with biases against Moss spin it against Moss, people with biases against Davis spin it against Davis, etc.

The fact is that we don't know what happened or nearly happened no matter how much we want to think we do based on how well we think we know the key players.

Patler
04-30-2007, 01:20 PM
At least this had SOME credibility:

By Adam Schefter
NFL Analyst

(April 29, 2007) -- On Draft Weekend 2007, the biggest tremors in the football world came from a trade between the New England Patriots and Oakland Raiders.

Moss already has agreed to dramatically restructure his contract, which is scheduled to pay him $9.75 million this coming season. New England was the one and only place Moss would agree to take a reduced contract, and he did so knowing that he would have the chance to win a Super Bowl. With the off-season that New England has had, no team in football has a better chance.

woodbuck27
04-30-2007, 01:38 PM

That's a . . . BIG TIME ! :)

The players interests are best served by 'the player'.

fan4life
04-30-2007, 02:53 PM
Two of my sources:

On 4-28 Bob McGinn, of the JSO wrote:

One way or another today, the Green Bay Packers fully intend to acquire a wide receiver and a running back.

The wide receiver could be Oakland's Randy Moss, the mercurial deep threat. Green Bay has expressed interest in Moss since February, and with Raiders owner Al Davis now actively trying to trade him, general manager Ted Thompson just might make that deal.

If not, the Packers have targeted a pair of wide receivers, Tennessee's Robert Meachem and Louisiana State's Dwayne Bowe, with the 16th pick in the National Football League draft.

Then today, McGinn said:
Green Bay wanted Moss. Remember that. But the Packers didn't get him. It may reflect the comparative luster of the GB and NE franchises. It might reflect Brady vs. Favre. It might reflect Thompson/McCarthy vs. Belichick. It may reflect the Fox Valley vs. New England/Boston. And it may reflect how much Thompson was willing to give.

Then this from Brett Favre's pilot :
...Brett is burning. He had lobbied hard to bring Moss here to Green Bay. This includes conversations with TT and suggestions that all three get on the phone together. In regard to money my source said Favre was willing to rework his contract and Moss was maybe willing to take a cut. As the facts keep coming out your not going to like them.... (Then later) When the facts come out and they eventually will, we will find out just how cheap New England picked Moss up. We may also find out how little TT did to get Moss here... (Then later) You can already take the refusal to restructure and throw that out the window. Who mentioned 3 million yesterday? Thank You. Now wait till you find out Favre wanted to get involved and was told directly by TT to stay out of it. (Then, in regard to the story on PFT) he said, : This story is 100% wrong. LOL
Now, you guys can belittle my sources... or criticize my judgement. That's fair... my rants are only my opinion, and I'm not going to get into a pissing match about who's opinion is right.

But here are the facts:
TT did nothing on the first day of the draft to improve the the WR corps, probably assuming he had both RM and Al Davis where he wanted them. Then, after the second round, when he could have given up a pick (perhaps the one he used for Jones) and done more to get Moss under contract, he failed. Instead, he had a fool's pride and lost the opportunity to get the impact player he BY ALL ACCOUNTS had targeted, and let himself get snookered by NE.

Mike Vandermause expressed best how I feel about Thompson:

That go-for-the-throat mentality appears to be lacking in Thompson, who seems too willing to allow other teams to force the action and dictate terms.
That doesn't seem like the definition of a winner to me. It's sounds like mediocrity. And that's why I'm upset.

HarveyWallbangers
04-30-2007, 02:58 PM
How does this prove the theory that Thompson lowballed Al Davis and blew the deal? It could be that Randy Moss just wanted to play in New England more, and there's nothing Thompson could have done. It sounds like a deal was in place (so apparently he offered enough to Oakland), but Moss could dictate where he went--not Thompson nor the Raiders. He agreed to restructure his deal for NE only (according to NFL.com reporter Adam Schefter), and his contract was such that it was not feasible for a team to take on his current contract. Not at $10M/year. I guess I don't see what your point is. Moss chose to go to New England. Not much you can do.

Lurker64
04-30-2007, 03:00 PM
How does this prove the theory that Thompson lowballed Al Davis and blew the deal?

That's what I'm wondering as well.

PackerBlues
04-30-2007, 03:09 PM
Well put Fan4Life. I keep hearing about how TT is building for the future. My question is....when will that be? Am I going to hear the same thing at the end of the offseason next year? While I agree that some of the "big name" free agents may not fit the Packers needs, it seems to me that TT would much rather gamble for talent in the draft than spend money on any free agent. Woodson was not signed until the fans really started screaming, and if they hadnt.....I dont think TT would have even considered it.
Is it pride? Ego? Vanity? Or is it simply his "Plan"? Personally, I am getting a little fed up with hearing that TT just doesnt like free agents and that he likes to build through the draft. I think he has torn apart far more than he has built so far......just my opinion.

Again.......How long do we have to wait for the "future" to get here?

Patler
04-30-2007, 03:14 PM
Funny, you can just as easily argue that the selection of Harrell was a "go for the throat, throw caution to the wind" pick, like Wolf would have done.

After all, the EXPERTS agree the Packers didn't need a DT.
Harrell could be an oft-injured wasted pick in three years.
Harrell could be an all-pro in three years, turning a decent line into a great one.

Isn't that just the kind of risk some of the columnists are accusing TT of not being willing to take?

Patler
04-30-2007, 03:17 PM
Woodson was not signed until the fans really started screaming, and if they hadnt.....I dont think TT would have even considered it.

I seriously doubt that the fans' complaints had one bit of influence on the Woodson decision.

MJZiggy
04-30-2007, 03:21 PM
I'm with Patler here. TT is not here for the popularity contest and is not going to let fan wishes influence doing what he feels is best for the team. At the time, with the options he had available, Woodson was the best option for the team--an option that worked out quite well.

fan4life
04-30-2007, 03:23 PM
How does this prove the theory that Thompson lowballed Al Davis and blew the deal? It could be that Randy Moss just wanted to play in New England more, and there's nothing Thompson could have done. It sounds like a deal was in place (so apparently he offered enough to Oakland), but Moss could dictate where he went--not Thompson nor the Raiders. He agreed to restructure his deal for NE only (according to NFL.com reporter Adam Schefter), and his contract was such that it was feasible for a team to take on his current contract. Not at $10M/year. I guess I don't see what your point is. Moss chose to go to New England. Not much you can do. I'm saying that Adam Schefter is talking to TT's people who are trying to cover their butt, and that there are other sources saying that RM would have renegotiated his contract (maybe not as low as he did for NE) but didn't get the chance, because NE swept in and offered Al Davis something better than what TT was willing to give.

When TT failed to offer Davis the pick he used on Rouse, he opened the door for NE. I didn't need to read the paper Sunday morning to know that TT had been bested; when I saw that Oakland had picked up a pick from NE on Saturday night (#91 - it was reported that "The Raiders did not give up Randy Moss for that third-round pick; the Raiders gave up their third-round pick in 2008") I figured NE had made a "good faith" move with Davis and had bought themselves time to get Moss under contract. The trade of Moss for NE's 4th round pick on Sunday was just a formality.

I'm curious.... didn't anyone else figure out that something was going on when that went down?

HarveyWallbangers
04-30-2007, 03:41 PM
I'm saying that Adam Schefter is talking to TT's people who are trying to cover their butt, and that there are other sources saying that RM would have renegotiated his contract (maybe not as low as he did for NE) but didn't get the chance, because NE swept in and offered Al Davis something better than what TT was willing to give.

Where is this source?

fan4life
04-30-2007, 04:00 PM
Adam Schefter's employer is the NFL (nfl.com); he is not into rumour mongering (although he has been known to leak information heard around league offices.) And I'm sure Adam was right. It is my belief (ie, I'm not going to cite a source) that by Saturday night, RM didn't have to renegotiate anything with GB; he had already, "in principle" been traded to NE.

Brett Favre's people say that RM was willing to restructure, and I choose to believe them.

woodbuck27
04-30-2007, 04:03 PM
FIRST.
Can we establish what pick that Oakland secured fr. NE in the Randy Moss acquisition ?? It's being deemed a fourth round pick.

Is that correct??

I thought it was this pick? :

In Round 5

28 165 Oakland (from New England) Frampton, Eric SS 5-11 205 Washington State

Am I correct??

HarveyWallbangers
04-30-2007, 04:08 PM
Brett Favre's people say that RM was willing to restructure, and I choose to believe them.

LOL

fan4life
04-30-2007, 04:33 PM
Saturday night, with the 91st pick in the draft, Oakland takes tackle Mario Henderson in a pick picked up from the Pats. It is reported that the pick was not for Moss, but rather in consideration for a 3rd-round pick in 2008 (yeah, right).

Then, in the fourth round, the Raiders take Michael Bush with the #100 pick, and at #110, use the pick they got from the Pats to take John Bowie, defensive back from Cincinnati. The Packers took Barbre @#119.

Meanwhile, GBP used their 3rd round picks (#76 and #89, if I remember correctly) to take Jones and Rouse. Either one of which they could have traded to Oakland, ahead of NE.

Lurker64
04-30-2007, 04:34 PM
You know, now that I think about it. I'd rather have Barbre than Moss.

fan4life
04-30-2007, 04:41 PM
Brett Favre's people say that RM was willing to restructure, and I choose to believe them.LOL Go ahead and laugh. There were numerous reports out prior to the draft that RM would restructure his contract to get out of Oakland, so I find it laughable to not believe that a player who just took a 1-yr $3.5mil/incentive-laden contract wouldn't have been willing to rework his contract with GBP. But then again, if you think TT was dealing from the same base of strength that NE was .... then any discussion is useless.

fan4life
04-30-2007, 04:47 PM
You know, now that I think about it. I'd rather have Barbre than Moss.LOL

Bretsky
04-30-2007, 05:39 PM
Funny, you can just as easily argue that the selection of Harrell was a "go for the throat, throw caution to the wind" pick, like Wolf would have done.

After all, the EXPERTS agree the Packers didn't need a DT.
Harrell could be an oft-injured wasted pick in three years.
Harrell could be an all-pro in three years, turning a decent line into a great one.

Isn't that just the kind of risk some of the columnists are accusing TT of not being willing to take?

One might also argue that the selection of Harell was a CYA pick for a GM figuring there was a good chance he's losing one of his top DT's in Corey Williams soon.

I dont' buy either argument myself; but one you go either way.

Patler
04-30-2007, 11:20 PM
One might also argue that the selection of Harell was a CYA pick for a GM figuring there was a good chance he's losing one of his top DT's in Corey Williams soon. .

Isn't that exactly what a good GM is SUPPOSED to do?

Wouldn't it have been better if Sherman had at least one decent guard on the roster three years ago to ensure against the possibility that one or both of Rivera and Wahle would leave?

Wolf was a great CYA'er!