PDA

View Full Version : Roster

HarveyWallbangers
04-29-2007, 11:32 PM
QB Brett Favre, Aaron Rodgers, Ingle Martin
RB Vernand Morency, Brandon Jackson, Noah Herron, P.J. Pope, Arliss Beach
FB Brandon Miree, Korey Hall, DeShawn Wynn
WR Donald Driver, Greg Jennings, Robert Ferguson, Koren Robinson?, Ruvell Martin, James Jones, David Clowney, Carlyle Holliday, Shaun Bodiford, Carlton Brewster, Chris Francies
TE Bubba Franks, Donald Lee, Tory Humphrey, Zac Alcorn, Clark Harris
OT Chad Clifton, Mark Tauscher, Allen Barbre, Kevin Barry, Josh Bourke
OG Daryn Colledge, Jason Spitz, Tony Moll, Adam Stenavich
OC Scott Wells, Junius Coston, Tony Palmer
DE Aaron Kampman, Cullen Jenkins, Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila, Michael Montgomery, Jason Hunter
DT Ryan Pickett, Justin Harrell, Corey Williams, Colin Cole, Johnny Jolly
LB A.J. Hawk, Nick Barnett, Brady Poppinga, Abdul Hodge, Desmond Bishop, Tracy White, Spencer Havner
CB Al Harris, Charles Woodson, Will Blackmon, Frank Walker, Patrick Dendy, Jarrett Bush
S Nick Collins, Marviel Underwood, Aaron Rouse, Marquand Manuel, Tyrone Culver, Charlie Peprah
K Dave Rayner, Mason Crosby
P Jon Ryan

OS PA
04-29-2007, 11:44 PM
Trimmed down it should look like

RB Vernand Morency, Brandon Jackson, Noah Herron,
FB Brandon Miree, DeShawn Wynn
WR Donald Driver, Greg Jennings, Robert Ferguson, Koren Robinson?, Ruvell Martin, James Jones, David Clowney, Carlyle Holliday, Shaun Bodiford,
TE Bubba Franks, Donald Lee, Tory Humphrey
OT Chad Clifton, Mark Tauscher, Allen Barbre, Kevin Barry,
DE Aaron Kampman, Cullen Jenkins, Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila, Michael Montgomery, Jason Hunter
LB A.J. Hawk, Nick Barnett, Brady Poppinga, Abdul Hodge, Desmond Bishop, Tracy White, Spencer Havner
CB Al Harris, Charles Woodson, Will Blackmon, Frank Walker, Patrick Dendy
S Nick Collins, Marviel Underwood, Aaron Rouse, Marquand Manuel, Tyrone Culver, Charlie Peprah
P Jon Ryan

Kiwon
04-29-2007, 11:45 PM
Barring injury, the defense looks okay. But lots of questions about the Offense.

Do they have a durable RB capable of making something happen and pick up the blitz when necessary?

Bretsky
04-29-2007, 11:46 PM
Short Term views

Upgrade at DL
Downgrade at RB
about the same elsewhere

Not enough weapons of offense
Hopefully the additional bodies will help our Special Teams
Hopefully the OL can hold off the pass rush on their own because we need to send every body out on pass routes that we can

HarveyWallbangers
04-29-2007, 11:49 PM
RB Vernand Morency, Brandon Jackson, Noah Herron

I have a feeling that either Pope or Beach beats out Herron.

BradStrand
04-29-2007, 11:52 PM
I think RB is definitely in better shape. Ahman was done two years ago, Im glad he got his paycheck and Im glad we have fresh legs coming in.

Pope should beat out Herron. He did some nice things for us last year but dude just doesnt have the talent.

I think if Underwood or Culver take Manuels spot they'd probably cut their losses with him and cut him from the team. No sense in keeping him over a younger player with an upside.

Bretsky
04-29-2007, 11:56 PM
welcome to Packerrats Bradstrand

BF4MVP
04-30-2007, 12:37 AM
Jackson will start over Morency..

OS PA
04-30-2007, 01:09 AM
RB Vernand Morency, Brandon Jackson, Noah Herron

I have a feeling that either Pope or Beach beats out Herron.

I'm not sure, if anybody is going to beat out Herron I think it's Deshawn Wynn. He is the closest thing to a third down power back we have. Morency and Jackson are too much of the same back, and because of this the coaches will be looking for someone to power the ball on third and short and goal line situations. Look for Wynn here.

HarveyWallbangers
04-30-2007, 01:23 AM
Got him penciled in as FB--since the Packers are going to try him there, I believe.

KYPack
04-30-2007, 07:02 AM
Coston is the back-up center?

He's never played there, far as I know.

Maybe you are right. He can be just as bad a back-up center as he is a back-up guard or tackle.

The guy always plays lousy, but he still is young. He's the Ferg of the line.

Iron Mike
04-30-2007, 07:59 AM
Trimmed down it should look like

WR Donald Driver, Greg Jennings,Robert Ferguson, Koren Robinson?, Ruvell Martin, James Jones, David Clowney, Carlyle Holliday, Shaun Bodiford,
OT Chad Clifton, Mark Tauscher, Allen Barbre, Kevin Barry,
P Jon Ryan

Did I tell you how much it pains me to see that?

HarveyWallbangers
04-30-2007, 08:40 AM
Coston is the back-up center?

He's never played there, far as I know.

Maybe you are right. He can be just as bad a back-up center as he is a back-up guard or tackle.

The guy always plays lousy, but he still is young. He's the Ferg of the line.

I thought he played a little OC in college. This wasn't meant to be an exact depth chart. Just a look at how the roster is shaping up, so I wouldn't get too hung up on who is listed where (e.g. Morency over Jackson at RB, Ferguson listed 3rd at WR, etc.).

Packgator
04-30-2007, 10:32 AM
[quote=OS PA]RB Vernand Morency, Brandon Jackson, Noah Herron

I'm not sure, if anybody is going to beat out Herron I think it's Deshawn Wynn. He is the closest thing to a third down power back we have. Morency and Jackson are too much of the same back, and because of this the coaches will be looking for someone to power the ball on third and short and goal line situations. Look for Wynn here.

Good point. Wynn can be that type of runner. But he has RB skills too. Urban Meyer spent two years giving different backs every opportunity to play ahead of Wynn........and no one was able to take his spot. And the Gators are loaded with talent. Wynn can go either way but the fresh start with the Packers may bring something out of him.

wist43
04-30-2007, 10:40 AM
As someone said, better at DT; worse at RB; the same everywhere else.

TT really didn't do much to improve the team this year... despite the fact that he drafted a couple of decent players.

Big bunch of, "so what"...

Realistically, we have no chance to win much of anything this year... 7-9/8-8... woo hoo!!!!!!!!!!!!

HarveyWallbangers
04-30-2007, 10:49 AM

TT really didn't do much to improve the team this year... despite the fact that he drafted a couple of decent players.

I generally agree, but I will say that the teams that take a step up are usually ones that have a lot of 2nd and 3rd year players that do well--not because of their draft picks or their FAs.

BallHawk
04-30-2007, 11:12 AM

I generally agree, but I will say that the teams that take a step up are usually ones that have a lot of 2nd and 3rd year players that do well--not because of their draft picks or their FAs.

Good point. The Colts didn't draft any superstars in last year's draft, nor in FA. They got a solid RB in Addai and their previous guys stepped up. Of course, though, the Colts are superior in talent comapred to us.

MadtownPacker
04-30-2007, 11:12 AM
I think if Underwood or Culver take Manuels spot they'd probably cut their losses with him and cut him from the team. No sense in keeping him over a younger player with an upside.Good to see you jump in Brad!

As a total Fresno St homer I say Culver. He is a very smart player and basically ran the Fresno St defense. Him and Collins would make an excellent safety duo.

wist43
04-30-2007, 11:13 AM

I agree, but unless Jackson proves to be an every down back, what TT has actually accomplished is a backfield full of 3rd down backs.

They're terrible at TE; they're below average at WR; and they're weak at CB. TT did nothing to address any of these weaknesses.

2nd and 3rd year guys I'm hoping to step up are Blackmon, Underwood, and hopefully some improvement from Jennings.

Don't see any other 2nd or 3rd year guys that have a chance to unseat anyone - so we're probably status quo everywhere else. I definitely don't see the Packers as being one of the teams that is going to "step up".

Lurker64
04-30-2007, 11:18 AM
What are the requirements for being eligible for the practice squad? Is it just the players who were drafted this year, or is it anybody below a certain number of years of experience, or is it just guys who haven't been part of an active roster? I knew this last offseason, but I seem to have forgotten.

Also:

I agree, but unless Jackson proves to be an every down back, what TT has actually accomplished is a backfield full of 3rd down backs.

Well, "Running Back by committee" is the trend in the NFL these days, we're not the only team in the NFL that doesn't have a clear superstar back. Heck, going into last year the Vikings didn't have a proven NFL every-down back and they ran the living hell out of Chester Taylor, and he was pretty good until they ran him into the ground. I think "not having a #1 back" is less of an issue in the modern NFL than it once was.

HarveyWallbangers
04-30-2007, 11:24 AM

They're terrible at TE; they're below average at WR; and they're weak at CB. TT did nothing to address any of these weaknesses.

That's your opinion. I don't see Morency as a 3rd down back. I see him as an all down RB that probably can't take a full load. Thus, if Jackson is able to split with him as part of a rotation, I think they will be fine. Morency isn't as good as Ahman, but he showed talent (that I wasn't expecting) last year.

They are terrible at TE.

I don't think they are below average at WR. A lot of teams would love to have Driver and Jennings as their starters. I think they have enough athletes competing for #3 and #4 that they may end up being pretty good at WR.

Woodson and Harris are a good CB tandem. They don't have a lot of depth at CB, but neither of us definitively know if Blackmon will be a player. I think Walker could be better than Dendy and may end up as a decent subpackage corner, but we don't know. If Blackmon turns it on, a Harris-Woodson-Blackmon-Walker combination might be solid. We could have used help at corner though. I agree that Thompson should have done more at the TE position in FA. I also think he tried to bring in corners (Walker, Tory James, etc.), but they need another decent guy to compete. I'm thinking that's one position where he'll look at improving before game one.

Patler
04-30-2007, 11:32 AM
Most agreed that runningback, wide receiver, TE and safety were positions of weakness going into 2007. TT picked a back in the 2nd, a WR and safety in the 3rd, a WR in the 5th, another RB and a TE in the 7th. You might disagree with WHO he picked, but he certainly picked in the areas of need.

As I wrote in another thread, Clowney could be a "homerun" threat in the passing game because of his speed. The Packers didn't have one in 2006. Jones and Harris could improve the red zone passing game. The possibility of runningback by committee won't clearly be any worse than the 2006 version of Ahman Green, in my opinion; afterall, other than one long run Green was not "special" last year. He was simply "OK". There are several options that can improve various special teams aspects from what we saw in 2006.

Other than the possibility of age catching up to one of the corners or to Favre, I don't see a position or aspect of the team that clearly will be worse than what the team had in 2006, and there may be improvements in some of the weaker areas from 2006, but probably not dramatic improvements.

MadtownPacker
04-30-2007, 11:34 AM
If not for TE I wouldnt be worried at all about the O. The RB situation will play out and there will be 3 guys that get the job done. Which one will be the main one? I dont think its gonna be Morency.

MadtownPacker
04-30-2007, 11:38 AM
As I wrote in another thread, Clowney could be a "homerun" threat in the passing game because of his speed.
Yeah!!! I wrote that!!

But yeah dude has some speed. The highlight video that MMMDK posted shows him burning the DBs and having to slow down and come back to the ball.

Lets see if he can outrun Favre's arm!

wist43
04-30-2007, 11:54 AM
If not for TE I wouldnt be worried at all about the O. The RB situation will play out and there will be 3 guys that get the job done. Which one will be the main one? I dont think its gonna be Morency.

You know the old saying, "if you have 3 QB's, you have none"... looking like the same thing here.

3 3rd down back, no actual starter.

MadtownPacker
04-30-2007, 12:02 PM
You know the old saying, "if you have 3 QB's, you have none"... looking like the same thing here.

3 3rd down back, no actual starter.Well the Pack has 3 QBs and I think they have plenty!

One RB will rise out of the ashes to become the next 1000yd rusher. The ZBS makes it possible for it to be a rookie.

chain_gang
04-30-2007, 01:03 PM
To me the lack of depth at corner is disturbing. Injuries happen and you would like to have at least one capable replacement, and we might not have any. Anyways though, the defense if it stays healthy better be at the very least a top ten defense, with all of the money we've forked out to it the last couple years. I expect to see it from start to finish. Not a slow start and good finish again like last year. We need consistency and I expect a consistently good defense all year long, not just part of the year.

Patler
04-30-2007, 01:10 PM
CB has to be a concern for the fans. But, I take some comfort in the fact that TT did not draft one. It leads me to believe they have confidence in Blackmon. I hope it isn't misplaced!

wist43
04-30-2007, 02:08 PM
CB has to be a concern for the fans. But, I take some comfort in the fact that TT did not draft one. It leads me to believe they have confidence in Blackmon. I hope it isn't misplaced!

I like Blackmon well enough... he's got a shot to be a #2 corner some time down the line - more likely a career nickel back though; but, they desperately needed to land a bonafide corner.

It's really amazing how TT did nothing to address needs. It's one thing to make a mistake drafting for need; it's quite another to deliberately avoid drafting players at positions of need - seemingly just to make a point.

MJZiggy
04-30-2007, 02:13 PM

I like Blackmon well enough... he's got a shot to be a #2 corner some time down the line - more likely a career nickel back though; but, they desperately needed to land a bonafide corner.

It's really amazing how TT did nothing to address needs. It's one thing to make a mistake drafting for need; it's quite another to deliberately avoid drafting players at positions of need - seemingly just to make a point.

How did we not need RB's WR's a TE and a Safety???? And, please explain to me the point he was trying to make?

Patler
04-30-2007, 02:21 PM

Huh?
2nd - RB
3rd - WR & SS
5th - WR
7th - RB & TE

Looks like 6 picks addressing needs to me.

If Barbre can play LT, you can even argue that was a need pick. It looks like the first round was "best available" and the next 5 picks, with a group of similarly talented players, all went to positions of need.

wist43
04-30-2007, 02:24 PM
How does James Jones help the WR situation??? We already have 6 guys just like him. Clowney at least made sense from a skills and developmental standpoint.

Is Jackson and every down back??? If not, it's a wasted pick... personally, I think Jackson is better than Morency, but not an every down back.

At Safety, I'm higher on Underwood than I am Rouse at this point... Every scout in the country went on and on about how terrible Rouse played last year. He was drafted strictly on his measureables. Given what the Packers do on defense, how does he fit???

Overall, how did TT really improve the roster??? Are his bottom end guys this year simply going to move the bottom end guys from last year off the roster??? And then we're going to do it again next year with the next crop of 18 draft choices???

TT drafted some decent players, and there are a couple of guys with upside, but at the end of the day - the Packers really aren't any better.

I say this, despite the fact that I'm warming up to the Harrell pick to the point where I think he has a chance to be a hell of a player.

wist43
04-30-2007, 02:28 PM

Huh?
2nd - RB
3rd - WR & SS
5th - WR
7th - RB & TE

Looks like 6 picks addressing needs to me.

If Barbre can play LT, you can even argue that was a need pick. It looks like the first round was "best available" and the next 5 picks, with a group of similarly talented players, all went to positions of need.

I didn't see SS as a need, as I'm higher on Underwood than most I guess. Jackson has a chance, but as I said...

James Jones is going to fill the void at WR??? Even if he tops out at being a #3...

You think the TE he drafted is the answer???

With the exception of Jackson... all of those picks are ST picks. The Packers had the worst ST in the league last year. I'm beginning to look at this draft as the "ST draft".

HarveyWallbangers
04-30-2007, 02:31 PM
How does James Jones help the WR situation??? We already have 6 guys just like him. Clowney at least made sense from a skills and developmental standpoint.

So, he drafted one deep threat, but you wanted him to draft two or more?

Is Jackson and every down back??? If not, it's a wasted pick... personally, I think Jackson is better than Morency, but not an every down back.

They have both Morency and Jackson on the roster. I guess I don't see this huge need for a 25-30 carry RB--if you have two guys that can do a good job with 15-20 carries. Seemed to work for New England, Chicago, New Orleans, and Indianapolis.

At Safety, I'm higher on Underwood than I am Rouse at this point... Every scout in the country went on and on about how terrible Rouse played last year. He was drafted strictly on his measureables. Given what the Packers do on defense, how does he fit???

Any player drafted will have scouts something poor about him. It's not like we had 5 1st round draft picks.

HarveyWallbangers
04-30-2007, 02:33 PM
SS is as big of a need as TE or WR. Get that solidified, and get good play out of the likes of Blackmon and Walker, and there's a solid chance that this is a legit top 10 defense.

Patler
04-30-2007, 04:30 PM

Overall, how did TT really improve the roster??? Are his bottom end guys this year simply going to move the bottom end guys from last year off the roster??? And then we're going to do it again next year with the next crop of 18 draft choices???

TT drafted some decent players, and there are a couple of guys with upside, but at the end of the day - the Packers really aren't any better.

I say this, despite the fact that I'm warming up to the Harrell pick to the point where I think he has a chance to be a hell of a player.

I think Jones might be a guy they can go to in the red zone. They lacked that last year. Driver and Jennings both become less effective when the field gets smaller becasue of their size. Jones might be a possesion receiver bigger than what they have, other than Ruvell Martin. He should be a more polished receiver than Martin, pushing Martin down the depth chart to where he should be, 5th, 6th or gone. Clowney gives the speed they sorely lacked. I think combined Jones and Clowney fill some of the gaps in the WR group. Not all-pros, but the group will be better.

Jackson and Morency are both every down backs, but perhaps not everydown all game backs. Combined they can be used for every down all game. Splitting time somewhat equally between them could be a better combination than the mostly-Green, sometimes-Morrency combo last year, which was not real effective.

Rouse is a long shot. TT took a chance that he can be more like he was his Junior year, and not like last year. Apparently VERY physical, with tremendous size for a safety. I also saw one mention of possibly using him as a quasi LB in some defenses. Sometimes its worth a shot with a guy, if you think you can coach something into him. If not, he wouldn't be the first safety or corner who makes a team strictly for ST play. If a starter is hurt, the next week someone normally inactive moves ahead of him on the depth chart, and he still just plays ST..

swede
04-30-2007, 05:10 PM
I'm beginning to look at this draft as the "ST draft".

Wist says we're gonna have great special teams this year! Awesome!

MJZiggy
04-30-2007, 05:13 PM
I'm beginning to look at this draft as the "ST draft".

Wist says we're gonna have great special teams this year! Awesome!

It may be the nicest thing he says 'til training camp... :!:

HarveyWallbangers
05-03-2007, 09:27 PM
Carlton Brewster is on pace to set the single season receiving records in NFL Europa.
:D

Likely doesn't mean squat, but receivers like Brian Finneran, Marcus Robinson, Bill Schroeder, Ruvell Martin, Dane Looker, among others, got their start in NFLE.

Other famous NFLE Alumni are Adam Vinatieri, Darren Bennett, Kurt Warner, Ben Hamilton (great OG for Denver), David Akers, Brian Waters (great OG for KC), Jake Delhomme, Paul Spicer (starting DE for Jacksonville), Michael Lewis, Joe Andruzzi, Marco Rivera, and Dante Hall.

You have to start somewhere. I'm glad he's tearing it up. I've watched one game he's played in, and I thought he looked good.

Bretsky
05-03-2007, 09:33 PM
Carlton Brewster is on pace to set the single season receiving records in NFL Europa.
:D

Likely doesn't mean squat, but receivers like Brian Finneran, Marcus Robinson, Bill Schroeder, Ruvell Martin, Dane Looker, among others, got their start in NFLE.

Other famous NFLE Alumni are Adam Vinatieri, Darren Bennett, Kurt Warner, Ben Hamilton (great OG for Denver), David Akers, Brian Waters (great OG for KC), Jake Delhomme, Paul Spicer (starting DE for Jacksonville), Michael Lewis, Joe Andruzzi, Marco Rivera, and Dante Hall.

You have to start somewhere. I'm glad he's tearing it up. I've watched one game he's played in, and I thought he looked good.

Good for the Brewman; I'm cheering for him.

The Brewers look real good; wonder if they'll be around in September ?

woodbuck27
05-06-2007, 03:00 PM
My take today is it will be this:

Offense

WR Donald Driver, Greg Jennings, Robert Ferguson or Koren Robinson, Ruvell Martin,

one of James Jones or David Clowney or Carlyle Holliday or Shaun Bodiford,Carlton Brewster (looking good in NFLE)

OT Chad Clifton, Mark Tauscher, Allen Barbre,

Kevin Barry's times up !

C Scott Wells, Junius Coston or Tony Palmer

Defense

DE Aaron Kampman, Cullen Jenkins, Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila,

Michael Montgomery or Jason Hunter

DT Ryan Pickett, Justin Harrell, Corey Williams,

Colin Cole or Johnny Jolly

LB A.J. Hawk, Nick Barnett, Brady Poppinga,

(two of Abdul Hodge, Desmond Bishop, Tracy White, Spencer Havner

CB Al Harris, Charles Woodson,

(two of. . . Will Blackmon or Frank Walker or Patrick Dendy)

S Nick Collins, Marquand Manuel,

(two of: Aaron Rouse, Marviel Underwood, Tyrone Culver, Charlie Peprah)

K Dave Rayner, or Mason Crosby will be the man to beat out.

P Jon Ryan[/quote]

That will go a long way towords our 53 man roster. . . and our taxi squad.

HarveyWallbangers
05-06-2007, 05:20 PM
At WR, I think it's more likely that it will be Jones and Clowney and one of Martin, Bodiford, Holliday, and Brewster.

vince
05-06-2007, 08:14 PM
Offense

RB Brandon Jackson, Vernand Morency, Arliss Beach, Noah Herron

FB Brandon Miree, Korey Hall

WR Donald Driver, Greg Jennings, James Jones, Carlyle Holliday, Ruvell Martin, David Clowney

TE Bubba Franks, Donald Lee, Clark Harris

OT Chad Clifton, Mark Tauscher, Allen Barbre

OG Daryn Colledge, Jason Spitz, Tony Moll, Junius Coston

C Scott Wells

Defense

DE Aaron Kampman, Cullen Jenkins, Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila, Michael Montgomery

DT Ryan Pickett, Justin Harrell, Corey Williams, Johnny Jolly

LB A.J. Hawk, Nick Barnett, Brady Poppinga, Abdul Hodge, Desmond Bishop, Tracy White

S Nick Collins, Marviel Underwood, Aaron Rouse, Tyrone Culver, Charlie Peprah

K Mason Crosby

P Jon Ryan

LS Rob Davis

With the exception of TE, I like that team. We'll see how quickly they come together, as the early schedule is brutal, but contrary to many of the vociferous detractors here, I believe that young foundation is deep and talented.

I expect the the young interior of the offensive line to take a big leap forward this year, which hopefully, will aid the TE's. Bubba needs to rebound in a big way.

And with the progression of Underwood, Culver, and Peprah, combined with the addiiton of Rouse, Manual gets the axe (a guy can wish can't he?).

Merlin
05-06-2007, 08:56 PM
Noah Heron will be one of the top 3 RB's. Beach and Pope will not beat him out. I think people underestimate his value. I also would like to see Ingle Martin beat out Aaron Rodgers. I don't think it will happen because TT won't allow Martin the same considerations that Rodgers has had.

woodbuck27
05-08-2007, 01:45 PM
Noah Heron will be one of the top 3 RB's. Beach and Pope will not beat him out. I think people underestimate his value. I also would like to see Ingle Martin beat out Aaron Rodgers. I don't think it will happen because TT won't allow Martin the same considerations that Rodgers has had.

Noah Herron has alot of heart.

retailguy
05-08-2007, 06:55 PM

and some big cement shoes.

woodbuck27
05-08-2007, 07:00 PM

and some big cement shoes.

Who runs better (WORSE) Herron or Marquand Manuel?

Manuel reminds me of Donald Duck 'in cleats'. :)

I see that Vince has cut Marquand.