PDA

View Full Version : Example of the problem with sports reporting

Kiwon
04-30-2007, 03:52 AM
I was reading an article about Brady Quinn's slide on draft day when I noticed a photo essay link on the nastiest divorces in sports. The photos go all the way back to Steve Garvey! People can vote on which couple's divorce was the ugliest.

http://sports.aol.com/messy-divorces

The caption goes: "Wild accusations. Alleged adultery. Custody fights. Huge finanical settlements. Tell-all books. And even a yard sale by Jean Strahan? Some nasty divorces have them all, and the sports world has had a bunch of them. We rank the top 15 most bitter splits ever."

Yeah, really sounds like the writing of a seasoned sports reporter. It even has hyperlinks. George Plimpton is turning over in his grave.

Here's a good example of how pathetic sports journalism has become. Granted AOL sports is a quasi news source anyway but sports reporting has become so meshed with celebrity and entertainment gossip-style articles that a brain dead public actually believes this is solid sports journalism.

The SI, Sporting News, and Packer Report I knew were never like this.

All this talk of separating a public figure's private and public lives is garbage. A Reality-TV mindset has taken hold and people fixate on the private lives of any celebrity - entertainment or sports. Pretty sad IMHO.

MJZiggy
04-30-2007, 07:20 AM
I didn't even need to look at it to know, that's just nasty. Their personal pain is none of our business.

Kiwon
04-30-2007, 08:28 AM
Have you seen the antics of some of the paparazzi? They make asses of themselves and provoke a response and snap a picture. Bunch of low-lifes.

Hugh Grant was arrested for assault with baked beans a couple of days ago. That was pretty funny.

MJZiggy
04-30-2007, 08:46 AM
Yes, his arrests always seem to have a humorous side associated with them.

oregonpackfan
04-30-2007, 04:07 PM
Now just where did Hugh Grant stick the baked beans? Inquiring minds want to know! :)

MJZiggy
04-30-2007, 04:38 PM
Evidently it isn't where he stuck them, he just plain got ticked off and threw them. It would have added a great deal of humor to the arrest story had the can been open, but c'mon...a can of beans???

packinpatland
04-30-2007, 04:52 PM
You know, those Brits eat their beans on toast!