PDA

View Full Version : Browns wanted to trade up with packers

packers11
04-30-2007, 07:24 AM
Savage got a nibble from Green Bay at 16. Cleveland offered its first-round pick in 2008, and offered to flip picks with the Packers in rounds two, three and four. "I thought it was going to work,'' Savage said. "But they thought about it, called back and said no.''

si.com

b bulldog
04-30-2007, 07:26 AM
If this is ture, I would have pulled the trigger on this trade.

hoosier
04-30-2007, 08:12 AM
Based on the usual value charts that could have been a horrible deal for GB!

We would be giving CLE a total of 1700 points (#16 = 1000; #47=430; #78=200; #112=70) and getting back this year a total of 883 points (#36=540; #67=255; #153=88).

For GB just to break even in point value, Cleveland's 2008 #1 would have to be in the top 20, and that doesn't take into consideration any "interest" on the "loan" of the #1 pick for a year.

Rastak
04-30-2007, 08:17 AM
Based on the usual value charts that could have been a horrible deal for GB!

We would be giving CLE a total of 1700 points (#16 = 1000; #47=430; #78=200; #112=70) and getting back this year a total of 883 points (#36=540; #67=255; #153=88).

For GB just to break even in point value, Cleveland's 2008 #1 would have to be in the top 20, and that doesn't take into consideration any "interest" on the "loan" of the #1 pick for a year.

Cleveland picks top 10 every year!

wist43
04-30-2007, 09:02 AM
Absolutely, I would have done that deal in a heartbeat...

Go into next years draft with a likely top 10 pick (Cleveland's), and a another one in the 15-20 range???

TT said he doesn't really consider trading for next years #1 a viable approach b/c "too much can happen in a year"... what kind of logic is that???

pbmax
04-30-2007, 09:07 AM
They would have missed out on 34 picks by the time their turn came up again. That's too far down. You can't drop your mid-first round pick to drop into the second.

ND72
04-30-2007, 09:10 AM
WTMJ is saying that is not true, and that Cleveland only Offered their 2nd and the 1st next year, just like the Dallas trade, for our 1st.

the way the points are done for future, are by figuring as a #16 pick in every round...so the points end up being 1000 to 1560....but i donno. I personally would have done it...of course, I personally would have drafted Brady Quinn...BUT...it's all hindsite now, gotta move on.

wist43
04-30-2007, 09:11 AM
They would have missed out on 34 picks by the time their turn came up again. That's too far down. You can't drop your mid-first round pick to drop into the second.

You pick up a probable top 10 next year!!! Dah...

And given that TT is just as likely to pick a 5th rounder in the 2nd round, what's the difference in trading down 34 spots, or 340 spots... TT's board doesn't appear to resemble anybody else's anyway.

pbmax
04-30-2007, 09:20 AM
Its the 16th pick in the round for future picks, but its devalued by one round for present value considerations, I believe.

So Cleveland's No. 1 next year would be valued as the 16th pick of the second round on the draft pick value chart. Value = 420 points

WTMJ is saying that is not true, and that Cleveland only Offered their 2nd and the 1st next year, just like the Dallas trade, for our 1st.

the way the points are done for future, are by figuring as a #16 pick in every round...so the points end up being 1000 to 1560....but i donno. I personally would have done it...of course, I personally would have drafted Brady Quinn...BUT...it's all hindsite now, gotta move on.

wist43
04-30-2007, 09:28 AM
Next year, having that high #1 would look pretty good - wouldn't it???

TT's way, we sit there at 16 again next year... and that's it. Wouldn't it be nice if we could have two 1st's next year???

Then we could draft another DT, and another LB, in the 1st round... picking good players of course - but always with the proviso that "we pick the best players, we don't care if it improves the team".

Patler
04-30-2007, 09:47 AM
A trade that would give up the 16th pick this year, have no net gain in the number of picks, AND delay the probable primary compensation until next year wouldn't make much sense to me.

TT showed quite early that he wasn't excited about any specific players in this years pool available after the first round by trading #47 and #235 to get #63, #89 and #191. It doesn't surprise me that he wasn't interested in switching spots with Cleveland in the second to move up.

MadtownPacker
04-30-2007, 10:37 AM
Doesnt sound like such a great trade. Then watch the Brown be the feelgood story of 07 and turn the #1 they traded to DAL into the 31st overall. :P

swede
04-30-2007, 11:58 AM
I'm a little surprised that TT didn't go for that trade. Think of how many 6th round picks could be gotten by trading down from an extra first round pick.

Partial
04-30-2007, 01:12 PM
Why would you guys do this? Dallas got a better deal.

If they gave us their second straight up, I would have done it.

But to flip flop picks in two rounds, and take a future first for giving up a first this year, is a terrible deal.

woodbuck27
04-30-2007, 01:43 PM

Go into next years draft with a likely top 10 pick (Cleveland's), and a another one in the 15-20 range???

TT said he doesn't really consider trading for next years #1 a viable approach b/c "too much can happen in a year"... what kind of logic is that???

I have to say this and it goes beyond just logic:

With him (TT) at the helm.

What a load of hoseshit.

With that deal in. There would be an excellent opportunity for two top ten picks in 2008.

Cheesehead Craig
04-30-2007, 01:44 PM
Too much is being made out of this. You trade your first round pick, it had better be for something special. Not simply just swapping pick position in a couple of rounds and a questionable 1st rounder next year.

Zool
04-30-2007, 01:45 PM
So win now or the fans are pissed. Might as well draft a guy that you think can help you do that.

Better trade out of the first round or the fans are pissed cause winning next year is the goal? You really cant have it both ways.

Partial
04-30-2007, 01:57 PM

I have to say this and it goes beyond just logic:

With him (TT) at the helm.

What a load of hoseshit.

With that deal in. There would be an excellent opportunity for two top ten picks in 2008.

Or, we could have a top ten pick because we didn't add a playmaker in the first round, and the browns could win a superbowl.

wist43
04-30-2007, 02:02 PM
In 5 years, we'll still be saying, "win now??? we don't need to stinking win now!!!".

TT doesn't have a 2 year plan, or a 3 year plan, or a 5 year plan... he has a 10 year plan - which, of course, means never having to fill a hole!!!

That sounds kind of dirty, doesn't it??? LOL :lol: :lol:

Partial
04-30-2007, 02:03 PM
In 5 years, we'll still be saying, "win now??? we don't need to stinking win now!!!".

TT doesn't have a 2 year plan, or a 3 year plan, or a 5 year plan... he has a 10 year plan - which, of course, means never having to fill a hole!!!

I think we'll be very solid at just about every position across the board (short of possibly receiver; its tough to get a stud receiver) by the time Favre hangs his cleats up.

Also, keep in mind that TT has to have known what he was doing. He had to have known this pick wouldn't be popular with the fans and he would take a lot of flaming for doing it. I think he is convinced Harrell can be a pro-bowler. If his gut instinct is correct, than TT will keep his job. If this guy is another Corey Williams two years in, I don't know that he'll keep his job.

Charles Woodson
04-30-2007, 02:33 PM

I think we'll be very solid at just about every position across the board (short of possibly receiver; its tough to get a stud receiver) by the time Favre hangs his cleats up.

Also, keep in mind that TT has to have known what he was doing. He had to have known this pick wouldn't be popular with the fans and he would take a lot of flaming for doing it. I think he is convinced Harrell can be a pro-bowler. If his gut instinct is correct, than TT will keep his job. If this guy is another Corey Williams two years in, I don't know that he'll keep his job.

And thats the fun thing about being a fan, because if harrell ends up crap then TT willl never hear the end of the time that he passed up the 2008 top 10 pick AND a good recevier like Rice, Jarrett, or Smith. for a bust

woodbuck27
04-30-2007, 02:35 PM

He doesn't have a ten year plan on my team.

Soon more and more Packer fans will see just what he is and has stood for.

I predict that four years fr. now that Ted Thompson isn't the GM of the Green Bay Packers.

The reason for that prediction is easy.

A teams success is a direct reflection of that teams GM's competence and personality. His willingness to supply the talent capable of jelling to make a winner.

Ted Thompson doesn't care beyond his agenda. I've never seen a GM in sports quite as he is.

Packer fans are not going to put up with 12-20 or worse much longer. Ted Thompsonn had a chance to put us in the playoff's in 2007 and he decided to toss that away.

This fact sickens me and I'll not forget it.

More and more Packer fans will see 'the TRUTH'.

Badgerinmaine
04-30-2007, 02:38 PM
Doesnt sound like such a great trade. Then watch the Brown be the feelgood story of 07 and turn the #1 they traded to DAL into the 31st overall. :P
Ohhhhhh, I'd love that.

Zool
04-30-2007, 03:36 PM

That sounds kind of dirty, doesn't it??? LOL :lol: :lol:So you are definitely a proponent of win now, but you wanted him to trade out of the first round to secure a future pick. At the same time, he needed to draft some 1st round talent in order to win now. Its all so very confusing to me.

b bulldog
04-30-2007, 05:03 PM
Phil Savage, the Browns GM has stated himself that he thought the deal in GB which included the Browns getting the 16th pick while flip flopping picks through round 4 and giving us the Browns number one in 08 was turned down by TT. It wasn't a first and a second.

Farley Face
04-30-2007, 07:50 PM

I don't think for a second TT worries about fan reaction to any move he makes. And that is a good thing.

BallHawk
04-30-2007, 07:52 PM
I don't think for a second TT worries about fan reaction to any move he makes. And that is a good thing.

Ted Thompson can't feel emotion.

Bretsky
04-30-2007, 07:57 PM
Next year, having that high #1 would look pretty good - wouldn't it???

TT's way, we sit there at 16 again next year... and that's it. Wouldn't it be nice if we could have two 1st's next year???

Then we could draft another DT, and another LB, in the 1st round... picking good players of course - but always with the proviso that "we pick the best players, we don't care if it improves the team".

With TT"s long term vision of building for the future, I'm astonished that he would not have jumped at something like this.

From all his comments, I think the bottom line is that he fell in love with the first round DT

Bretsky
04-30-2007, 08:03 PM

That sounds kind of dirty, doesn't it??? LOL :lol: :lol:So you are definitely a proponent of win now, but you wanted him to trade out of the first round to secure a future pick. At the same time, he needed to draft some 1st round talent in order to win now. Its all so very confusing to me.

I want to win now

But I'm a draft for need guy

I've realized our GM is a win later guy and build slowly.

TT has broken me as a short term win guy as long as he is GM; I'm astonished he didn't take the deal.

I wish he would have.

Our future is 3-4 years from now if it happens at all. Adding an extra first next year could have been huge.

Plus, we could have used the Browns 2nd round pick to pick a WR :lol:

mraynrand
05-09-2016, 02:54 PM
Fritz, you were only kinda sorta right.

Fritz
05-09-2016, 04:13 PM
Rand, for me that's a win.

pbmax
05-09-2016, 04:18 PM
We all have been here too long.

Fritz
05-09-2016, 04:25 PM
Yeah, it's a little scary seeing me posting back in 2007.

I still wish Ted had made that trade, though. And yes, I still think about that sometimes. I wonder who Ted would've picked had he made that trade . . .

KYPack
05-09-2016, 08:08 PM
Partial and Fritz look a little like Nostradamus.

Wish ND would post again.

Had some good arguments and learned a little football from that dude.

At least the anti-TTers are consistent.

pbmax
05-09-2016, 08:18 PM
Partial and Fritz look a little like Nostradamus.

Wish ND would post again.

Had some good arguments and learned a little football from that dude.

At least the anti-TTers are consistent.

ND72 is on Twitter, but mainly about being a PE teacher, basketball coach and Dad. Seems like he has his hands full. :lol:

Bretsky
05-09-2016, 09:17 PM
SURE GLAD we didn't take the sweat deal and got Justine Harrell instead :)))

Guiness
05-09-2016, 11:26 PM
A trade that would give up the 16th pick this year, have no net gain in the number of picks, AND delay the probable primary compensation until next year wouldn't make much sense to me.

TT showed quite early that he wasn't excited about any specific players in this years pool available after the first round by trading #47 and #235 to get #63, #89 and #191. It doesn't surprise me that he wasn't interested in switching spots with Cleveland in the second to move up.

63, 89 and 191 netted Brendan Jackson, the infamous Aaron Rouse and Korey Hall. Poster children all for why you have to throw a lot of darts at the board!

Carolina_Packer
05-10-2016, 05:59 AM
63, 89 and 191 netted Brendan Jackson, the infamous Aaron Rouse and Korey Hall. Poster children all for why you have to throw a lot of darts at the board!

TT has gotten markedly better at drafting/signing running backs. I'll give him a pass on Alex Green since he got hurt. Brandon Jackson in the 2nd round was an over-evaluation compared with on-field production. Some of the guys TT has gotten in priority free agency lately have been better looking prospects than Brandon Jackson. You draft and sign what's available, but I bet TT and staff beat themselves up in private when it turns out that they have over-evaluated a guy. Everyone misses, but that doesn't mean you don't want to limit your mistakes in the future.

Deputy Nutz
05-10-2016, 08:50 AM
This was an overall terrible draft for Thompson. Hindsight he should have taken that deal because the Browns were drafting in the top ten in 2008.